The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,818 comments

Edjit: OH WOW! The day I start watching Disappearance of Haruhi is the same day the setting of the show starts on!

Nice! Disappearance, though only a movie, is one of the best animes ever, if you don't love it, you're watching anime wrong!

Also, finished 1st season of MKR. Twist of an ending! Yeah, dated look and feel, maybe could have been like 13 episodes instead of 20, no real character development, but still a fun show, glad I watched it. Maybe I'm being generous, but I'd give it a 7.5/10 overall.

Edit: and oh, nice twist to the end of that ID 4th Stage episode, right? Keisuke's so badass!

Wait, a movie??? Animefreak's got this 14-episode series called the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya.... WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I WATCHING?! *panics*

Watched episode 1 of Haruhi. Not bad, never seen an Anime start out with an in-show play. And I'll just say this, Yuki is :embarrassed:

GAHH I was fooled! I'm not watching the Disappearance after all! I was watching the 2nd season of Melancholy the whole time! Damn you, AF! *shakes fist*

Also, finished 1st season of MKR. Twist of an ending! Yeah, dated look and feel, maybe could have been like 13 episodes instead of 20, no real character development, but still a fun show, glad I watched it. Maybe I'm being generous, but I'd give it a 7.5/10 overall.

Maybe? It could have been 6 episodes and it would have been ok. The first season is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, they really overdid the filler, but the ending is absolutely worth it. I remember taking my hands to my mouth mom-style, shouting bad words.

And keep on it. It undoubtedly lacks character development in the first season, but you need to look at it not as character development, but as "friendship development". In the second season the series delves much deeper into each character, it's much less "Friendship is magic". I'm sure the 7.5, even 8, will be apropiate if you watch the second season.

I. Must. Encourage.

Still watching K-On!! Currently stopped at episode 17, might finish this by tonight hopefully... :)

With the resurgence of people watching Haruhi Suzumiya, I feel I should change to my old avatar.

I''m watching TTGL as well!

edjt: holy balls, look what I came across:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-07-07/k-on-fans-spend-13-million+yen-on-mugi-birthday

Fans of the K-ON! manga and anime spent a record total of over 13 million yen (about US$160,000) in just one day during the event held by the TBS Stores and online ishop on Saturday. That day happened to be the birthday of Tsumugi "Mugi-chan" Kotobuki, the girl who plays the keyboard in the story's high school band Ho-kago Tea Time.

Among the exclusive items that TBS offers are a 70-centimeter-long (28-inch-long) Mugi-chan plush figure and a pocket watch. Customers received an exclusive birthday card on Saturday, while supplies lasted.

The next birthday event that TBS is planning is August 21 — the birthday of drummer Ritsu Tainaka. The K-ON! anime film will open in Japan on December 3.

Last edited:
We need more K-ON, but sadly, I think there won't be much more to it. . . But there always is it that possible chance.

Also, Ritsu shares the same birth month as me? Why my most hated character?!

So you're basically saying K-ON > Haruhi?

I'm saying it's probably more profitable, or at least a similar moe-centric show that Kyoto Animation seem to be focusing on as of late. And there must have been something going on behind the scenes for the excuse that was Haruhi's 2nd season. Honestly, I was surprised to hear that the movie was coming after that. I think it's unlikely, unfortunately.

haruhi_season_2-743482.jpg

haruhismmotivational.jpg

Both series' are hugely overrated imo. How Haruhi is one of, if not the most popular anime of the last decade blows my mind. Not a bad show, but it shouldn't be up there with Death Note, FMA etc...

Haters gonna hate.

Remember, popularity = how many people watch and like it, maybe the 2 series got more exposure to the public or more watchers telling their friends about it. Just because a show has more people liking it doesn't necessarily make it the show a good one. i.e. Naruto

Both series' are hugely overrated imo. How Haruhi is one of, if not the most popular anime of the last decade blows my mind. Not a bad show, but it shouldn't be up there with Death Note, FMA etc...

Haters gonna hate.

The series isn't up there with FMA, Death note, etc. It's "up there" with Clannad, GTO, Baccano! and Kanon. The movie is up there with Clannad Afterstory, FMAB, Samurai X Trust and Betrayal, Code Geass R2, Evangelion 2.0, Spirited Away, and Cowboy Bebop. And though there may just be 0.33 points between the two groups (8.67 vs 9.0), I think we all can acknowledge there's a huge real difference in quality going on here. And I totally agree. The series was great, the movie was mind blowingly awesome.

Edit: and as far as viewership popularity goes, yes Haruhi the series is way up there, sitting at number 7, but still with only 2/3 the viewers of FMA, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, and Death Note, and also less than Naruto and NGE.

edit^2: all stats courtesy of animenewsnetwork

The series isn't up there with FMA, Death note, etc. It's "up there" with Clannad, GTO, Baccano! and Kanon. The movie is up there with Clannad Afterstory, FMAB, Samurai X Trust and Betrayal, Code Geass R2, Evangelion 2.0, Spirited Away, and Cowboy Bebop. And though there may just be 0.33 points between the two groups (8.67 vs 9.0), I think we all can acknowledge there's a huge real difference in quality going on here. And I totally agree. The series was great, the movie was mind blowingly awesome.

Edit: and as far as viewership popularity goes, yes Haruhi the series is way up there, sitting at number 7, but still with only 2/3 the viewers of FMA, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, and Death Note, and also less than Naruto and NGE.

edit^2: all stats courtesy of animenewsnetwork

Your first paragraph is kind of meaningless, since you're just basing that all off one site.

You can't take stats like that too seriously, on any site. The fact of the matter is, Haruhi has a ridiculously large fanbase, it doesn't make a difference that Death Note or Cowboy Bebop has few more thousand fans on ANN, thats means nothing what so ever. It's still up there with the most poplular anime series' around.

I haven't seen the movie, but a few people who I talk to regularly about anime say that it's brilliant, even a few who weren't fans of the original show.

I don't even know where this debate is going anymore, may as well talk about something else. Therefore, jeff, give me tea.

Sorry, but animenewsnetwork is the best anime information site out there by far for me. Just checked MAL, though, and it gives very similar results, with the movie coming it at #5 in the rankings, and the series (1st season only) in #113 or so (and the 2nd season in #2200 or so.) It also lists the series as #7 in viewership, same as ANN.

The only other site with information and rankings that I found was anime-source, but its ranking are based off of like 1%-4% of the input that ANN and MAL get, so it's not nearly as credible.

But it sounds like you're more in touch with a broader anime community and are reacting to your direct experience. This forum is pretty much the only place where I converse about anime, and here, yes, Haruhi generates some enthusiasm, but it doesn't dominate the conversation.

Edit:

Delicious tea!

... the movie coming it at #5 in the rankings, and the series (1st season only) in #113 or so (and the 2nd season in #2200 or so.)

Haha, yep, that's 2nd season for you... :yuck:

Smokey, there are many other places you could have sourced an image of Blair from than there.

Last edited:
Oh for goodness sake, NSFW tag that link at least.

And the shameless witch has nothing on Yoko...

Last edited:
Sorry, but animenewsnetwork is the best anime information site out there by far for me. Just checked MAL, though, and it gives very similar results, with the movie coming it at #5 in the rankings, and the series (1st season only) in #113 or so (and the 2nd season in #2200 or so.) It also lists the series as #7 in viewership, same as ANN.

The only other site with information and rankings that I found was anime-source, but its ranking are based off of like 1%-4% of the input that ANN and MAL get, so it's not nearly as credible.

But it sounds like you're more in touch with a broader anime community and are reacting to your direct experience. This forum is pretty much the only place where I converse about anime, and here, yes, Haruhi generates some enthusiasm, but it doesn't dominate the conversation.

Edit:

Delicious tea!

Fair enough then, but I wouldnt be using sites like those as absolute fact. You're probably right though since both sites have it rated the same for popularity, which is what I was talking about originaly. But #7 ranking is still well up there, and is above shows like code geass and fma brotherhood. All I was trying to show was how popular it was.

Back