The GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread

GTPlanet Exit Poll - Which Presidential Ticket Did You Vote For?

• Trump/Pence

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Jorgensen/Cohen

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Hawkins/Walker

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • La Riva/Freeman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De La Fuente/Richardson

• Blankenship/Mohr

• Carroll/Patel

• Simmons/Roze

• Charles/Wallace

• Other

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No. It's just another day in America.

Not really. I realize that because of your age have limited experience of what "another day in America is like" ... but I can assure you that there has never been anything remotely like this in the last 60 years. And that includes some very troubled times in the 1960's. In the past there were actual "leftists" in the US. There was a Cold War, there were cities burning & large scale rioting, there were left wing terrorist groups operating in the world. Now all there is are some ragtag, disorganized anarchist groups, & AOC & the Squad. President Elect Biden is as milquetoast a Democrat as has won election in the last 60 years. The craziness is entirely emanating from the Right which appears to have lost its collective mind under the prodding of a narcissistic, megalomaniacal buffoon. Rather than giving up on Trump they appear to be wiling to go to the mattresses in an attempt to undermine the entire US electoral process.

Last edited:
...they appear to be wiling to go to the mattresses in an attempt to undermine the entire US electoral process.
Who is this "they" and exactly what are they doing? Are the Republicans going to vote to reject the Electoral College? How might that actually work?

This is fun.

Judge Emmet Sullivan Will Oversee Voting Rights Act Case Accusing Trump of Anti-Black Campaign to Overturn Election

President Donald Trump and his failed re-election campaign have engaged in an unlawful strategy aimed at overturning the results of the 2020 election in violation of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, according to a lawsuit recently filed in federal court.

On Tuesday morning, the case was assigned to a judge who, during the Trump era, has been viewed as particularly unsympathetic to current occupant of the White House: U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, the judge overseeing retired lieutenant general Michael Flynn’s never-ending Trumpworld passion play.

The 12-page complaint names both the 45th president in his individual capacity and the corporate organization that makes up his 2020 campaign as defendants over their recent efforts to “pressure state and local officials not to certify election results in key states and then have state legislatures override the will of the voters by installing” a “slate of electors” loyal to the Republican Party.

“They have actively pursued this strategy, compromising the integrity of the election process, and unlawfully interfering with will of the voters,” the lawsuit alleges. “To effectuate this strategy, [Trump and his campaign] are openly seeking to disenfranchise Black voters, including voters in Detroit, Michigan.”

The filing contextualizes those recent actions as the latest in a long line of attacks on Black voters throughout U.S. history:

Repeating false claims of voter fraud, which have been thoroughly debunked, [Trump and his campaign] are pressuring state and local officials in Michigan not to count votes from Wayne County, Michigan (where Detroit is the county seat), and thereby disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters. Defendants’ tactics repeat the worst abuses in our nation’s history, as Black Americans were denied a voice in American democracy for most of the first two centuries of the republic.

“No more,” the lawsuit continues. “The Voting Rights Act of 1965 flatly prohibits [those] efforts to disenfranchise Black people and assault our republic. This is a moment that many of us hoped never to face. But we are here, and the law is clear. It is time to enforce it.”

The complaint was filed by attorneys with the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF) on behalf of the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization (MWRO) and three Black citizens of Detroit who voted in the 2020 general election, Maureen Taylor, Nicole L. Hill and Teasha K. Jones.

The MWRO is a state affiliate of the U.S. Water Alliance, a non-profit and non-partisan civil society organization dedicated to advocating “for public assistance recipients and low-income people” as well as working to “build a social movement by bringing together people directly affected by water problems, grassroots leaders, community attorneys, researchers, educators, artists, and policy makers to strategize on solutions provide clean, healthful water regardless of income,” according to their website.

The plaintiffs are suing due to Trump’s “campaign to overturn the results of the election by blocking certification of the results, on the (legally incorrect) theory that blocking certification would allow state legislatures to override the will of the voters and choose the Trump campaign’s slate of electors,” the lawsuit notes.

Recall: in the aftermath of losing several key states to Joe Biden, Trump, his campaign, and campaign allies launched a dual-pronged strategy of: (1) litigating never-proven—and sometimes not even alleged—fraud claims in various state and federal courts in an increasingly long-shot bid to delay vote certifications in those same states where the Republican Party lost the vote; while (2) hoping that a swarm of ensuing confusion, chaos and pressure from the MAGA faithful would force Republican-controlled state legislatures to override voters’ preferences and send pro-Trump electors to choose the next president.

Crystallizing those anti-democratic and haphazard efforts are two Wayne County commissioners who asked to rescind their votes to certify election results following a phone call from Trump himself. As it turns out, Michigan has no legal mechanism for taking back such votes and that plan is going nowhere. But the attempt to force a vote take-back and therefore not certify Wayne County’s results is cited in the suit as part and parcel of the president’s alleged disdain for Black voters.

“In those affidavits, the canvassers stated that, despite their votes to certify, they are opposed to certifying the Wayne County results,” the lawsuit notes. “There is no mechanism under state law for them to rescind those votes now that the results are certified. Nonetheless, the Trump Campaign filed a notice to withdraw its federal suit, relying on the affidavits and falsely asserting: ‘The Wayne County board of canvassers met and declined to certify the results of the presidential election.’ In fact, as discussed, the Wayne County Board of Canvassers did certify the results of the presidential election.”

To that end, the MWRO plaintiffs claim the president’s legal team, his campaign and the president personally have worked “in concert” and engaged in conduct that “intimidate, threaten, or coerce, or attempt to intimidate, threaten or coerce” people involved in “aiding [a] person to vote or attempt to vote.”

And, that, based on the statute, is a direct violation of the Voting Right’s Act’s §11(b).

“[P]ublicly available facts create an unmistakable inference that Defendants are exerting pressure on state and local officials not to certify the results of elections, and specifically that they are exerting pressure on state and local officials not to certify the votes of plaintiffs and other residents in Detroit and Wayne County,” the lawsuit alleges.

The plaintiffs are seeking a declaratory judgment that Trump and his campaign are in violation of federal law and an injunction barring them “from continuing to exert pressure on state or local officials in Michigan, or in any other state, to disenfranchise Plaintiffs or other Black voters by not certifying the results of the November 2020 election, or by appointing an unlawful slate of electors that disenfranchises Plaintiffs or other Black voters or from taking other action in violation of Section 11(b) of the Voting Rights Act.”

“For two weeks, the president and his campaign have been spreading misinformation and making baseless accusations of voting irregularities in cities with large concentrations of Black voters who participated in record numbers in this election,” said LDF President and Director-Counsel Sherrilyn Ifill in a statement provided to Law&Crime. “The president’s use of dog whistles to suggest the illegitimacy of votes cast by Black voters in Detroit, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and Atlanta are an appeal to a dangerous and corrosive racialized narrative of voter fraud.”

“Equally alarming have been the president’s attempts to pressure state and local officials in Michigan – first with a demand that votes in Detroit not be counted and now, more recently, urging officials to refuse to certify votes from Wayne County,” Ifill continued. “Our action seeks to protect the integrity of the votes cast by Black voters in Detroit from the president’s attempts to overturn the will of voters expressed at the ballot box.”

Law&Crime reached out to the Trump campaign for comment on this story but no response was forthcoming at the time of publication.
The full complaint can be read at the bottom of the page that I've linked to in the headline above. I'd have included it but the embedded reader app doesn't copy.

Last edited:
This is fun.

Judge Emmet Sullivan Will Oversee Voting Rights Act Case Accusing Trump of Anti-Black Campaign to Overturn Election

The full complaint can be read at the bottom of the page that I've linked to in the headline above. I'd have included it but the embedded reader app doesn't copy.

This was simply a matter of time, I remember even reading about potential future lawsuit against the orangegutan and his campaign regarding this. I think plaintiffs here have more than just affidavits as proof.

Who is this "they" and exactly what are they doing? Are the Republicans going to vote to reject the Electoral College? How might that actually work?

"the 45th president in his individual capacity and the corporate organization that makes up his 2020 campaign as defendants over their recent efforts to “pressure state and local officials not to certify election results in key states and then have state legislatures override the will of the voters by installing” a “slate of electors” loyal to the Republican Party."

The Republican party as a whole has not stood up to reject the baseless claims of "election fraud". Even if, in the end, the results of the election are confirmed, Trump & his supporters have done permanent damage to the democratic process in the US by (apparently) convincing tens of millions of Americans to go along with their made-up claims.

I mean...I did call this.

Frankly, the GOP needs Trump to win outright on the national stage. Popular vote and Electoral College. Anything short of that is a loss at this point. They need him to win because in the event that he loses, even after exhausting all options available, they suspect he's going to pull some crazy **** before he's to be ousted in early 2021...as I imagine many people do. And because they are Trump--there's no daylight between them--they're absolutely going to back it. They know how bad it'll look. They know that their acquittal early this year will pale in comparison. They need him to win so that it doesn't come to that.

I feel like the GOP and its base are so far gone at this point that they'd back an actual despot so long as they're not among the oppressed.
Of course, I don't mean Trump being a whiny little bitch. That's so on-brand for him.

I called the GOP backing his play. I was comfortable doing this because they were telegraphing all the way up to the election just as they telegraphed the pending Senate acquittal throughout impeachment proceedings.

"the 45th president in his individual capacity and the corporate organization that makes up his 2020 campaign as defendants over their recent efforts to “pressure state and local officials not to certify election results in key states and then have state legislatures override the will of the voters by installing” a “slate of electors” loyal to the Republican Party."

The Republican party as a whole has not stood up to reject the baseless claims of "election fraud". Even if, in the end, the results of the election are confirmed, Trump & his supporters have done permanent damage to the democratic process in the US by (apparently) convincing tens of millions of Americans to go along with their made-up claims.
Whew, if that's all, then humpf, whatever. I was afraid the Congressional Republicans were going to reject the vote of the Electoral College on January 6th. Though it likely wouldn't succeed, it might do lasting damage.
https://apnews.com/article/congress-count-electoral-college-vote-5605532631a251ac8f902d1d1ca55428

Last edited:
I was afraid the Congressional Republicans were going to reject the vote of the Electoral College on January 6th. Though it likely wouldn't succeed, it might do lasting damage.
https://apnews.com/article/congress-count-electoral-college-vote-5605532631a251ac8f902d1d1ca55428

Based on my understanding this is exactly what a few elected idiots are going to do, just as the linked AP article says, they may even managed to convince some senators to go along with it. I guess we’ll see in about a fortnight but I would personally expect it to happen, given how focused the GOP is on the only thing they are interested in, as in the power grab at any cost.

It's kind of ironic that the only person I've heard in the last few weeks calling on the electoral college to be scrapped is Hillary Clinton.

That said, I presume she is in favour of getting rid of it after the election cycle is finished. The trouble with what Trump and his cronies are trying to do is to overturn the election result by any means necessary, and that's a different thing altogether.

At some point a distinction will be made between Trump/cronies and the ongoing elected and serving GOP establishment. Trump is going down flaming with a torpedo through his hull. Romney, Cruz, McConnell and the rest of the survivors will be exploiting what the constitution allows, but no more, IMHO.

At some point a distinction will be made between Trump/cronies and the ongoing elected and serving GOP establishment. Trump is going down flaming with a torpedo through his hull. Romney, Cruz, McConnell and the rest of the survivors will be exploiting what the constitution allows, but no more, IMHO.

You mean the "peace & prosperity" President? Most of us were able to see that Trump has been a fraud from the first. Because of the stupidity & gullibility of a large slice of the American population Trump was able to take over the GOP & the vast majority of Republican politicians have been too scared to call him out on his destructive behaviour. The rest of the world is just looking on in astonishment as this all unfolds. Truly pathetic.

Last edited:
The rest of the world is just looking on in astonishment as this all unfolds.

Indeed. What else?

Every once in a while a populist is elected, but the burn-out rate is high. An enduring appeal to peace and prosperity runs deep in the American character. The Democrats have a populist (Bernie) wing as well. I suspect that both parties will tack to a continuing populist wind as globalizing, corporatism and pandemic have put us in a deep hole.

Last edited:
Indeed. What else?

Every once in a while a populist is elected, but the burn-out rate is high. An enduring appeal to peace and prosperity runs deep in the American character. The Democrats have a populist (Bernie) wing as well. I suspect that both parties will tack to a continuing populist wind as globalizing, corporatism and pandemic have put us in a deep hole.
But there's nothing wrong with populism in my opinion. It's a core tenet of democracy. The problem is when you attach it to radical nationalism. That's when you get insane leaders who do terrible things - I don't see Bernie running around exclaiming America's superiority over the rest of the world, in fact he's doing the opposite, comparing and often equating America to various other countries. Historically, the most egregious examples of commie pinko Marxism had strong nationalistic tendencies. Cuba still does to this day, and they're effectively irrelevant to everybody except Canadian snowbirds @Biggles They don't even bother threatening anybody. They'll even sell you a straw hat! Bernie's brand of benevolent Bolshevism doesn't seek to brandish bluffs.

Last edited:
But there's nothing wrong with populism in my opinion.

Agreed in principle. Personality comes into it.

Take two diametrically opposed populists; Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. I don't agree with either of them but Sanders seems like... an okay bloke, a normal human being. He doesn't come across as a nasty person or unpleasant human being even if I don't agree with all of his beliefs.

It is okay to not be politically aligned with people you otherwise think are pleasant, despite what the "Everyone Who Disagrees With Me Is Hitler" side of the internet seemingly promotes.

Last edited:
https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2020/12/21/back-in-the-news-i-am-not-a-republican-justice/

Shocking response from the community, well not that shocking.

Law and order?
From the article:

Hagedorn
Talk radio in Wisconsin, particularly on the conservative side, is very prominent. I turned on the radio one morning driving to work and heard what a horrible person I was. So it’s hard to miss it.

Yes, I’ve been called a traitor. I’ve been called a liar. I’ve been called a fraud. I’ve been asked if I’m being paid off by the Chinese Communist Party. I’ve been told I might be tried for treason by a military tribunal.
Trumpism, man.

Well...this is awkward.

Officials have found a case of a dead person voting.

Bruce Bartman has been charged with unlawful voting and perjury over allegations that he pretended to be his dead mother to cast a ballot in the November election for President Donald Trump in Pennsylvania.

Delaware County District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer announced the charges in a press release Monday. Bartman was arraigned Friday and released on $100,000 bail, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. If convicted on all charges, the 70-year-old Bartman could spend up to 19 years in prison.

"This is the only known case of a 'dead person' voting in our county, conspiracy theories notwithstanding," Stollsteimer said in a statement. "Further, the prompt prosecution of this case shows that law enforcement will continue to uphold our election laws whenever presented with actual evidence of fraud and that we will continue to investigate every allegation that that comes our way."

Prosecutors said Bartman registered two dead people — his mother, Elizabeth Bartman, and his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Weihman — as Republican voters in August. He used the state's online voter-registration portal, which allows residents to register to vote using their driver's license number or the last four digits of their Social Security number, prosecutors said.

He used his mother-in-law's Social Security number to register, which was flagged in the state system as belonging to someone who is dead, prosecutors added, but the software sent a letter addressed to her to confirm whether she was alive. Bartman lied on the form and pretended to be Weihman, prosecutors said, but ultimately did not request an absentee ballot in her name.

Bartman also registered his dead mother to vote and ultimately successfully cast a ballot for Trump and other Republicans in her name, prosecutors said.

Voter fraud is extremely rare in the US. A database maintained by the conservative Heritage Foundation found only 193 convicted cases of voter fraud between 2000 and 2020, during which about 250 million votes were cast. Republicans frequently make baseless claims that voter fraud has a larger scope and scale, while pushing for laws that would make it harder for people to vote.

Voter fraud is extremely rare in the US. A database maintained by the conservative Heritage Foundation found only 193 convicted cases of voter fraud between 2000 and 2020, during which about 250 million votes were cast. Republicans frequently make baseless claims that voter fraud has a larger scope and scale, while pushing for laws that wVoter fraud is extremely rare in the US. A database maintained by the conservative Heritage Foundation found only 193 convicted cases of voter fraud between 2000 and 2020, during which about 250 million votes were cast. Republicans frequently make baseless claims that voter fraud has a larger scope and scale, while pushing for laws that would make it harder for people to vote.
In other news...*

"Clarify."

:lol:

That's a nice way of saying "we got called on our deliberately false reporting by someone capable of hitting us where it hurts...in the wallet."

*This is a common turn of phrase and is in no way intended to suggest that Newsmax is a legitimate news outlet.

Here's the Trumpkin representing Georgia's 10th congressional district weighing in:

I don't imagine @ryzno can cite anything comparable to this from 2016 to justify calling those who oppose this sort of behavior hypocrites.

I'd definitely call the "classical" Federal buildings Palladian, so I'm not quite sure what he's aiming for... and Trump has definitely shown no previous signs of being a fan of Hellenistic/Romanesque design up until now. Far from it in fact. It's a bit weird.

Perhaps the first lady penned it :lol:

Back