The GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread

GTPlanet Exit Poll - Which Presidential Ticket Did You Vote For?

• Trump/Pence

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Jorgensen/Cohen

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Hawkins/Walker

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • La Riva/Freeman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De La Fuente/Richardson

• Blankenship/Mohr

• Carroll/Patel

• Simmons/Roze

• Charles/Wallace

• Other

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope this guy doesn't end up replacing him.

Pukita is from Ohio and Dingell is from Michigan, it's the natural order for them to hate one another. That and Ohio is just salty they got Toledo while Michigan got the Upper Pennisula with all its glorious natural resources. Sorry @Keef, at least you're football team is good, so you got that going for you.

Pukita is from Ohio and Dingell is from Michigan, it's the natural order for them to hate one another. That and Ohio is just salty they got Toledo while Michigan got the Upper Pennisula with all its glorious natural resources. Sorry @Keef, at least you're football team is good, so you got that going for you.

He is just following in the style of politics Trumps is creating. Bullying is interpreted by the less intelligent as anti-pc.

This style of politics has been around in the U.S. for quite awhile, Trump played no part in creating it.

Not on this level though. Perhaps I have selective memory, could you help refresh my memory which politician is as big of a bully like Trump? Putting down grieving people, namecalling, making fun of disabilities and minorities? Without real consequences?

Not on this level though.

Very true. Politics in the U.S. has been more about tearing your opponent down than building yourself up for as long as I can remember, it was only a matter of time before someone like Trump caught on and took advantage of it.

Without real consequences?

There aren't any because the U.S. people don't feel the need to hold politicians accountable. This is something both major parties are insanely guilty of and won't change until people wake up to the possibility of additional parties.

Very true. Politics in the U.S. has been more about tearing your opponent down than building yourself up for as long as I can remember, it was only a matter of time before someone like Trump caught on and took advantage of it.

There aren't any because the U.S. people don't feel the need to hold politicians accountable. This is something both major parties are insanely guilty of and won't change until people wake up to the possibility of additional parties.

I guess Bill Clinton in a way set president for that? But again Trump also set another level for accountability. I guess Trump is really changing the world of politics.

I hope this guy doesn't end up replacing him.

I know a girl who does city politics in Virginia and she says Ohio is backwards as hell.

Until we can get Montgomery (where I live in Dayton) and Butler county (the one between Dayton and Cincy) to vote Democrat, the state will continue leaning very slightly Republican overall. Montgomery county only chose Trump by 1,800 votes but the huge number of small towns in the state are all farming communities and always go Republican. How Michigan used to be Democratic I have no idea because y'all also have a ton of farming communities.

Anyways, Rob Portman is local to the Dayton/Cincy area which I think explains why he won both the Dayton and Cincy area. We currently have one R senator, Portman, and one D, Sherrod Brown, so at least Ohio is evenly split. Brown has been sitting since 2007 and was reelected in 2018 despite Trump being in office. Portman was elected in 2016 obviously during the Trump campaign era. This Pukita guy is from the Columbus area but I really doubt he'd be able to lock that county simply because he's an asshole and seems like an extremist. This Trump saga will be very telling.

How Michigan used to be Democratic I have no idea because y'all also have a ton of farming communities.

The UAW for the most part. The blue-collar auto industry is fiercely Democratic, although I'm not sure if that's changed with Trump. I suspect not since the tariffs screwed over the last bit of auto manufacturing left in Michigan.

The UAW for the most part. The blue-collar auto industry is fiercely Democratic, although I'm not sure if that's changed with Trump. I suspect not since the tariffs screwed over the last bit of auto manufacturing left in Michigan.
I think it changed before Trump - the state did vote for him after all. I think it's changed back since which is why he was campaigning there a lot. Although he also insulted a former politician from Michigan which has not gone over very well.

The latest national polls show Joe Biden clearly ahead. Geezers over 70 predominate 4:1 in the all-white top tier: Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg and Bloomberg. Another white geezer, Hillary, lurks nearby for the proper timing.

The Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary in early February are probably the Last Chance Saloon to stay in the race. Warren in particular looks to be in trouble, so look out for the Clintons.

The latest national polls show Joe Biden clearly ahead. Geezers over 70 predominate 4:1 in the all-white top tier: Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg and Bloomberg. Another white geezer, Hillary, lurks nearby for the proper timing.

The Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary in early February are probably the Last Chance Saloon to stay in the race. Warren in particular looks to be in trouble, so look out for the Clintons.

I think it is highly unlikely she will run. These rumors probably come from the rightwing conspiracy factory. If true she will ruin all chances for the dems and Trump is a surefire winner for 2020.

Until Andrew Yang goes to the outside. "If you go to the outside you can hold". It'll look a little like this:

So how about Trump stepping down, citing "personal reasons" & Nikki Haley stepping up. This would throw the Democrats (not to mention a lot of Republicans) for a loop. Imagine Joe Biden having to face off with Nikki Haley.

So how about Trump stepping down, citing "personal reasons" & Nikki Haley stepping up. This would throw the Democrats (not to mention a lot of Republicans) for a loop. Imagine Joe Biden having to face off with Nikki Haley.

Now who's the optimist? ;)

Now who's the optimist? ;)

It's not impossible to imagine Trump getting fed up with the constant questioning of his greatness & just deciding to pack it in. Removing Trump from the scene would radically reset the political landscape for Democrats going forward ... & Nikki Haley (not that I know a lot about her) would seem to be a candidate that could undermine any advantages a Democrat nominee might enjoy, particularly an old white male like Biden.

It's not impossible to imagine Trump getting fed up with the constant questioning of his greatness & just deciding to pack it in. Removing Trump from the scene would radically reset the political landscape for Democrats going forward ... & Nikki Haley (not that I know a lot about her) would seem to be a candidate that could undermine any advantages a Democrat nominee might enjoy, particularly an old white male like Biden.
I think if she wanted to make a dent in the democrat vote then it'd be easier once statements like this were lost in the memory hole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omment-that-democrats-are-mourning-soleimani/

I think if she wanted to make a dent in the democrat vote then it'd be easier once statements like this were lost in the memory hole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omment-that-democrats-are-mourning-soleimani/

I don't know. Seems to me that all she would have to do is be somewhat less Trumpy than Trump to pick up some votes from "independents". And she would make Warren seem less ... female, & make Biden seem really old. There's room for a lot of manoeuvring going forward.

Bad blood between progressives and centrists hurt the Democrats in '16. The same problem is simmering today. On the progressive left we have Warren and Bernie, in the neoliberal center there is Biden and Buttigieg. These four are all closely matched going into Iowa and New Hampshire. Coming up on the outside for Super Tuesday is the billionaire, Bloomberg, whom I suspect is a stalking horse for Hillary.

Bad blood between progressives and centrists hurt the Democrats in '16. The same problem is simmering today. On the progressive left we have Warren and Bernie, in the neoliberal center there is Biden and Buttigieg. These four are all closely matched going into Iowa and New Hampshire. Coming up on the outside for Super Tuesday is the billionaire, Bloomberg, whom I suspect is a stalking horse for Hillary.

Again? Why do all conspiracies end with Hillary?

Republicans seem to end up on the conspiracy bandwagon more than Democrats. I'm not sure exactly why that would be, but it's just based on observation.

I wish there was more research about that. Because in my personal experience I have the same sentiment. I really think that flatearthers for example are in the majority represented by conservatives. I have no data to back that up though!

Republicans seem to end up on the conspiracy bandwagon more than Democrats. I'm not sure exactly why that would be, but it's just based on observation.

Libertarians Danoff, libertarians. Dotini is a libertarian, not a Republican. :P

I wish there was more research about that. Because in my personal experience I have the same sentiment. I really think that flatearthers for example are in the majority represented by conservatives. I have no data to back that up though!

Flat earth, climate change, the Clintons, Obama's birth certificate, Illuminati, FDA conspiracies, holocaust deniers. The only ones that immediately seem kinda leftist at first blush are the 9/11 "inside job" folks and anti-vacc.

Libertarians Danoff, libertarians. Dotini is a libertarian, not a Republican. :P

You might be right actually. Libertarians might make up an even larger conspiracy group (by percentage) than republicans. I think it has something to do with distrust of government, which goes along with the assumption that the government is doing really shady stuff that they're all agreeing on behind closed doors. Maybe I'm the only libertarian who thinks the government is full of a bunch of well-meaning people (with the occasional power-hungry narcissist thrown in).

Flat earth, climate change, the Clintons, Obama's birth certificate, Illuminati, FDA conspiracies, holocaust deniers. The only ones that immediately seem kinda leftist at first blush are the 9/11 "inside job" folks and anti-vacc.

I found an indication of the possible reason of why republicans are enclined to believe conspiracy theories. It is controversial though:

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 10.40.12 AM.png

You might be right actually. Libertarians might make up an even larger conspiracy group (by percentage) than republicans. I think it has something to do with distrust of government, which goes along with the assumption that the government is doing really shady stuff that they're all agreeing on behind closed doors. Maybe I'm the only libertarian who thinks the government is full of a bunch of well-meaning people (with the occasional power-hungry narcissist thrown in).

I think that might be because there's not much of a "left" anymore. Ok, they don't like "Zionists" & "Banksters", but they seem to share that with the alt-right ... which is very confusing & unsatisfying. Right-wing conspiracies (don't forget all the "false-flag" shootings) are much more varied & inventive .

A feud breaks out on the left which could affect the course of the primaries and election.

Warren-Sanders rift has progressives nervous about fallout
By WILL WEISSERT, ALEXANDRA JAFFE and STEVE PEOPLEStoday

800.jpeg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., left and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. talk Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020, after a Democratic presidential primary debate hosted by CNN and the Des Moines Register in Des Moines, Iowa. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — For nearly a year, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders pushed strongly progressive ideas into the Democratic primary spotlight, feeding off each other to build support for proposals long dismissed as radically leftist: “Medicare for All,” tuition-free college and a “Green New Deal” to combat climate change.

Full Coverage: Election 2020
Now the race’s most progressive candidates are fighting over the politics of gender, and regardless of who prevails, the party’s most liberal wing is nervous the ensuing fallout could torpedo its once-ascendant ideals. That’s something many see as the worst possible outcome at the worst possible time, with the lead-off Iowa caucuses barely two weeks away.

A brawl on the left might ultimately push undecided voters to more moderate candidates like former Vice President Joe Biden and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who have sought more centrist policy solutions. It could also end up helping President Donald Trump’s reelection bid.

In an interview Wednesday, Sanders’ wife, Jane O’Meara Sanders, downplayed lasting repercussions.

“Our campaign has always been about bringing people together. Not dividing them up like Trump does by gender, race or ethnicity,” said O’Meara Sanders, who defended her husband but also refused to criticize Warren. “We remain committed to continuing a progressive movement made up of women and men, black and white, gay and straight. The message is unity. We’re not going to go into that realm. We’re just not going to play that game.”

That message, though, may suddenly be a tougher sell for some progressives at a critical time. The start of voting is now looming but so is Trump’s impeachment trial in the Senate. That will pull both Warren, a senator from Massachusetts, and Sanders, a senator from Vermont, off the campaign trial -- perhaps for weeks -- to sit as jurors, meaning their clash could overshadow each of them delivering closing arguments to voters in Iowa and beyond whom they may not see again.

“To the extent that this race is not about the economic concerns of people in Iowa and other places, it certainly benefits Biden and Buttigieg, whose agenda certainly does not benefit working people,” said Jeff Weaver, Sanders’ chief adviser.

In the meantime, all of this is “dividing the left and pitting the two progressives in the race against each other at a time where we can’t afford division,” said Alice Nascimento, a progressive activist in New York who has been leading protests against Buttigieg in recent weeks.

https://apnews.com/c2bdb63b80b33b5dcd676cd6889e49f2

Back