The Human Comedy 8 - Gr.3 Lake Maggiore

• Thread starter breeminator
  • 1,122 comments
Are you, by any chance, taking on an entire tank of fuel at each stop?

If so, don't. The refill rate is extremely slow; you want to be carrying 10.5 laps of fuel each time.
Hi. Sadly no. When I first tried this mission then yes I made that big mistake but I recently realised that this was a mistake so now only take on the absolute amount of fuel I need. Sorry really wish is was something this simple of a mistake I was making.

I finally did it!

911 RSR, medium tyres, pit after 10 laps for fuel and tyres (no glitch use this time!)

My laptimes where even a bit slower like in my last attempt, where i finished P2. The big difference was my 1st lap: i went pretty aggressive thru the contenders in turn 1 and 2. At the end of lap 1 i was already P4.
In the 1st stint the gap to P1 was pretty constant, but after the the 1st pit stop, AI seemed to slow down and i won with 20+sec!

I finally did it!

911 RSR, medium tyres, pit after 10 laps for fuel and tyres (no glitch use this time!)

My laptimes where even a bit slower like in my last attempt, where i finished P2. The big difference was my 1st lap: i went pretty aggressive thru the contenders in turn 1 and 2. At the end of lap 1 i was already P4.
In the 1st stint the gap to P1 was pretty constant, but after the the 1st pit stop, AI seemed to slow down and i won with 20+sec!
I tried the RSR and couldn't get the pass out of it. Maybe when I've free time I'm going to set up YouTube and let people see my laps and where I'm going so wrong. Glad you beat it. 🙂

I had already won it with the RSR and the Mazda RX Vision for my first 2 accounts a year ago, I had to do it again for my 3rd account.....
I tried out several cars, including the 650S (my brother won with it) but it was with the RSR that I felt most comfortable....
RM start and 2 stops.......strong start where you have to elbow and bumper to avoid losing too much time......P6 on lap 1 and P2 on lap 3....
the problem was that I couldn't keep up with the Toyota P1......a few tenths on each lap and therefore 6" at refuelling....
what saved me was that she refueled every 9 laps....on the 26th, I was 4" down and afraid she'd go all the way, hence my relief when she stopped.....
I then had a 6" lead over Fraga and his 650S......but he came back like a cannonball to spend the last 3 laps against my bumper, I had the greatest difficulty in keeping him behind me with my worn RMs......he only stalled in the 2nd half of the last lap.....ouf!!!!....won with 4".......
I'm riding in "normal" difficulty and my laps were in 1'58/59....
best lap 1' 57.4.....best Toy lap: 1'57.1.....

I'd hardly think the number of hours people have spent in game constitutes "not enough practice." 600 hours? 900 hours? Still "not enough practice?" Plus there are folks running consistent 1:57 and 1:58 laps who still said they had trouble winning.
Something isn't right here, and "practice more" is not going to fix it.
I put this race down when they clamped the settings down. I'm not sure what my results was, not gold, that's for sure. This isn't a tuner's race, so I put it aside and made significant progress in other areas of the game.
I think there's a random elegant involved or maybe AI performance is based on the player. I can run 1.58-1.59 laps all day, move up the pack, and P1 just runs away. This has been happening in all of my Weekly Challenges recently too but I've been able to chip away at them and ultimately win races.
I have yet to fully tune all of my Group 3 cars but I will because it means a selection of tires. I haven't driven them all yet either, at least not here, so that's something else to try. I don't consider an hour spent cruising in VR mode to be a waste of time even in this hot mess.

Ok I'm totally lost. Watched both laps and I basically follow your exact line through the corners but I'm not getting 1.57s I'm getting 1.58 and 1.59 when totally pushing. I must look at how to video them to show you

Bit disappointed because I thought there was something I was doing very wrong. Good new though I think the game has me bugged as today I finally got a ticket for Bugatti and was able to buy a Bugatti Veyron after 600h of playing lol....
Dragging this up from the past...

Did you try the manual transmission? It's a game changer for fuel usage.

I can run 1.58-1.59 laps all day, move up the pack, and P1 just runs away.
I can attest you, that this race simply requires you to be faster by the same rules as the AI.
If they are faster, it simply and only means: you havent found the necessary pace.
No matter the amount of time spent, people will have a limit to which they can progress somewhat easily, and then another limit to which it requires effort, and a 3rd limit which they wont break.

I'd hardly think the number of hours people have spent in game constitutes "not enough practice." 600 hours? 900 hours? Still "not enough practice?" Plus there are folks running consistent 1:57 and 1:58 laps who still said they had trouble winning.
I put this race down when they clamped the settings down. I'm not sure what my results was, not gold, that's for sure. This isn't a tuner's race, so I put it aside and made significant progress in other areas of the game.
I think there's a random elegant involved or maybe AI performance is based on the player. I can run 1.58-1.59 laps all day, move up the pack, and P1 just runs away. This has been happening in all of my Weekly Challenges recently too but I've been able to chip away at them and ultimately win races.
I have yet to fully tune all of my Group 3 cars but I will because it means a selection of tires. I haven't driven them all yet either, at least not here, so that's something else to try. I don't consider an hour spent cruising in VR mode to be a waste of time even in this hot mess.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've taken a break from it as to be honest I got bored, I'm playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla and once I've completed that I'll go back and see and hopefully buy the new cars from the last two updates. Apart from a few cars that are 20 million I own everything else and have almost everything else done in the game so decided to take the break from it. Its very frustrating that this mission pretty much spoils a great GT game.

I can attest you, that this race simply requires you to be faster by the same rules as the AI.
If they are faster, it simply and only means: you havent found the necessary pace.
No matter the amount of time spent, people will have a limit to which they can progress somewhat easily, and then another limit to which it requires effort, and a 3rd limit which they wont break.
I have to agree - it's called the 'plateau effect' and it happens to every RL driver just as much as every sim driver. It took me ages to win this race (you can read about my frustrations in this very thread), and I have many years of real racing experience behind me, to championship winning level standards. Every now and then I go back to this race just to reassure myself that I've 'still got it' after various surgeries - it's my favourite race because it's one hell of a challenge that requires one hour of total focus with zero mistakes; zero penalties (until you get REALLY good, by which time you never make any mistakes anyway). I did this race last week having not touched it for many months, and won by 15 seconds - my best time yet. But it is not easy - every single lap needs to be good and every single bit of traffic needs to be dealt with perfectly. I now always drive the McLaren 650S because it suits my driving style. If you can't win this race yet then you simply have room for improvement ...end of! Just as in real-life racing when I used to ask the pros how they did it, the answer will always be "Practice; practice; practice."

Its very frustrating that this mission pretty much spoils a great GT game.
...and yet in my opinion it's the best race in the entire game because it's a real challenge.

So the key here is to get up near first quick. I'm talking lap 3 to 5....you can jump up 5 spots a lap with aggressive driving. The lead car will pit 3 times with pressure on them. I was running 158 avg. With some sub. As the race goes on the car gets lighter. I used the Rx vision and amg 20.

Last edited:
The key for me winning this, after many unsuccessful attempts, was very aggressive overtaking in the first 2 laps. You should at least be P4!
Everything afterwards, was driving like in every other attempt i did before.

This race is a concentration challenge. Like a real racer you must be fast and regular during 1hour. It's a big difference with others 2-10 laps races in the game, 90 seconds TT sprint or CE (Nurburgring included)...

I remember my first attempt, just a bronze result without margin... with training i won silver, many times. After a long time, and ending everything else, i decided to insist. In three days, with one or two attempts by day, i won the race with the AMG 20' (2stops on medium, refueling just needed). A great moment in my game.
If you can reach the fourth or third place in the beginning, you have the rythm, just train the endurance.

Last edited:
This race is a concentration challenge. Like a real racer you must be fast and regular during 1hour. It's a big difference with others 2-10 laps races in the game, 90 seconds TT sprint or CE (Nurburgring included)...

I remember my first attempt, just a bronze result without margin... with training i won silver, many times. After a long time, and ending everything else, i decided to insist. In three days, with one or two attempts by day, i won the race with the AMG 20' (2stops on medium, refueling just needed). A great moment in my game.
If you can reach the fourth or third place in the beginning, you have the rythm, just train the endurance.
Yeah, it's giving me lots of trouble. You also have to be alert when doing this race. The best I could do was 16th place.

So the key here is to get up near first quick. I'm talking lap 3 to 5....you can jump up 5 spots a lap with aggressive driving. The lead car will pit 3 times with pressure on them. I was running 158 avg. With some sub. As the race goes on the car gets lighter. I used the Rx vision and amg 20.
That makes sense. I run the absolute mess out of the 1 hour Spa race and I've noticed when I'm under pressure I use more fuel. Someone said further up tires wear quicker too, which also makes sense if there's more slip in the turns on medium or soft tires. If I'm running any group 3 or 4 car or a road car of ~ 770pp with the stock engine the race is a good challenge on hard difficulty and I see rain tires literally melt off if they're left on for an extra hot lap. I expect in similar fashion RM tires would wear faster under pressure at Maggiore whether I'm driving or AI is.
The other approach is running different cars. I have both versions of the Ford GT LM ready to go. That's an American V8 and will chew through fuel if redlined. I tried the RX Vision Stealth (DLC with the 25th Anniversary Edition) it might as well have been a bulldozer. I haven't run the "normal" RX-Vision but the stats look the same. I've also run the 911 RSR that was offered as a prize last summer in an online Porsche event. Again, not sure if it's the exact same as the 911 RSR in Brand Central or not. The garage says it is but it lists the RX-Vision Stealth separate from the RX-Vision.

That makes sense. I run the absolute mess out of the 1 hour Spa race and I've noticed when I'm under pressure I use more fuel. Someone said further up tires wear quicker too, which also makes sense if there's more slip in the turns on medium or soft tires. If I'm running any group 3 or 4 car or a road car of ~ 770pp with the stock engine the race is a good challenge on hard difficulty and I see rain tires literally melt off if they're left on for an extra hot lap. I expect in similar fashion RM tires would wear faster under pressure at Maggiore whether I'm driving or AI is.
The other approach is running different cars. I have both versions of the Ford GT LM ready to go. That's an American V8 and will chew through fuel if redlined. I tried the RX Vision Stealth (DLC with the 25th Anniversary Edition) it might as well have been a bulldozer. I haven't run the "normal" RX-Vision but the stats look the same. I've also run the 911 RSR that was offered as a prize last summer in an online Porsche event. Again, not sure if it's the exact same as the 911 RSR in Brand Central or not. The garage says it is but it lists the RX-Vision Stealth separate from the RX-Vision.
You will benefit from short shifting here too for sure. I had alot of fun with thism the GTR 18nwas also competitive

Thought this would be way harder based on common sentiment, left it till last.

AMG GT3 20, RM, pitting at lap 11 and 22, no real issues whatsoever. Fill the tank for 10/11 laps each time. So much time to be gained in the chicane section as well as the first couple corners.

Edit: memory might be failing me but I’m sure I had a 1.5 pen during the race

Attachments

• ACB9CB8F-0446-4310-AF03-DBEF35616B79.jpeg
    ACB9CB8F-0446-4310-AF03-DBEF35616B79.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Not a great evening for me.

Tried this race with the RSR for the first time (RMs) and was leading after the 1st pit stop - 2.7s ahead as I came in for my 2nd/final stop but left 4.7s behind... then, despite setting a PB lap, I was passed by a very aggressive BMW which seemed to be considerably faster than it had been, and unconcerned by passing cleanly it would appear.

Fortunately both cars infront of me got held up by a back marker, and I was ready to swoop but ended up smashing into the back of the BMW as it pulled out right infront of me - however I did get past eventually and into 2nd, just 4s behind the lead.

With 4 mins left, however, the BMW barged past at the last corner and sent me careering into the wall. It was at that point I switched the damn thing off. :mad:

-

I managed a 1:58.4xx, but otherwise was hitting 1:59s - possibly good enough for a win, but feels like it needs the help of AI cars getting stuck behind back markers. The aggressiveness of some AI cars is really annoying though, and I don't feel I have the pace to improve, so that may well be my first and last attempt.

Last edited:
The aggressiveness of some AI cars is really annoying though, and I don't feel I have the pace to improve, so that may well be my first and last attempt.
I feel this has gotten worse, possibly enabled by different AI readings of their traction limits.

Anyway, the Supra '20 was astonishingly easy to drive fast, and with the changes in tyrewear it doesnt feel penalizing vs other cars that could simply lap 1 or 2 extra each stint.
Pulling regular high 1.56 or low 1.57 with no worse fuel efficiency than any other car.
Though either I still was faster in the RCF or the leader board doesnt reflect "my fastest record" and stays on "my first new total lap record".

I am itching to try this race post-1.49; I just haven’t had time yet. From the few short races I’ve done since 1.49, the 'standard' AI seems much better than it was, behaving more like Sophy in that it moves to block, and overcooks manoeuvres …just like real racers do. Based on what little I’ve seen of 1.49, I reckon that progress will be easier to make due to better cornering and trail-braking, but that exit-spins will be much more risky and likely if you put a foot wrong (literally) when powering out of bends, particularly the left-hander before the flat-out right-hander preceding the drop down to 'the' hairpin. I reckon that this race will be even more of a challenge than it was before the update - can’t wait to find out 😁

@Meythia have you tried the Lake 1hr after the 1.49 update?

What are you thoughts about it? Is the AI doing something different strategy or pace wise? Tyre wear has become more severe?
Yes, but drove only in a few cars.
Tyrewear has become less, which means the Supra doesnt do 3 stops anymore but still regularly loses because the AI is driving wasteful on fuel.
Also Rubilar has been a visitor into the 1.56.*** laps, but not a regular one, and I feel the AI is overdriving it by deciding to pull too many laps instead of just going for a good flow (like 12/12/6 with very slow 12th laps)

My current best lap 1.55.8**

As a controller player though, at least one Gr.3 is NOT vialble any more which is the Aston Martin V12 suffering from total understeer in the midsector uphill esses, and I mean it: I cant competitive drive it on that track anymore (propably with taking different lines and speeds, but I dont see a reason why this should be required when all other cars simply go full throttle there).

Is there a recommended tune for this?

I tried the Supra but was slower than with the 911 RSR. I also tried the RCF, which seems about on a par with the RSR, but I'm still struggling to break into the 1:58s with any cars.

Is there a recommended tune for this?
Not really much of tuning possible there, it is "fully BoPed" with only RM and RH as options to make changes to the car.

I did my first 31 laps with the RCF '17 on RH/RM mixed compounds and shortshifting aiming to pit for a split of 20/11 laps, switching to RM/RM at that point.
No need to rush it when the cars tank can go for 21 or 22 laps and needs the least amount of time in the pits, I think I barely scratched high 1.57 during that race.

I've just had a 'post-1.49-update' go at this race in the McLaren 650S with my usual 2-stop RM strategy. I finished P3, 8 seconds behind the leader, which is pretty dire for me! My best lap was a 1:58.0, which again is bad for me.

The most noticeable differences (post-1.49-update) were (1) tyre grip, (2) tyre wear, and (3) the AI drivers. The tyres lack the level of grip they had before the update, requiring a lot more finesse on the pedals, and often a very slight lift to prevent running off the circuit during fast bends that didn't concern me before. It's been a while since I've been racing IRL but I'd say the feeling is much more realistic than before. Where you just used to hang on, knowing that you'd get round, now the lack of grip as you exceed the grip threshold is quite noticeable - I ran a little wide a few times, although I was always able to recover things before going too far. I'd say that racing 'on the ragged edge' is now a big part of almost every bend, and the level of focus required is way more realistic than previously.

Unexpectedly, I didn't have a problem with oversteer during fast exits. On the couple of occasions that the back did get loose, I was able to recover in microseconds without any drama.

The RM tyres show less 'red bar' wear than before the update, but the actual drop-off of performance is more gradual and more severe. I used to be able to ignore the tyre wear until Lap 8 in any given stint - now it is very noticeable from Lap 7 onwards. I really had to lower my corner entry speeds in order to get round some bends on worn tyres, and I'm sure that affected my lap times quite noticeably towards the end of each stint. From what I could see, the AI cars suffered from the same issues.

The AI drivers are noticeably different, being a half-way-house to full-on Sophy. I used to overtake cars and forget about them; now they fight back and sometimes recklessly so. I did (and finished) the entire last stint with Rubilar right on my tail, and he coped with the back-markers effortlessly. The AI drivers are now way more realistic, speaking as an ex-racer IRL.

Overall, a more challenging race, and one that requires even more focus than before the update. I've only done the race once since the 1.49 update but I didn't have any 'offs' or penalties, which is a good start. I think my main issue now is to try and get my laptimes back into the 1:47s again, which I'm guessing is going to need adjustment of my entry speeds ...slow in; fast out, as we used to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only complaint is that we get zero reward for repeating the event. They have deleted all our previous results, and then give us no reward for repeating the event. Shameful.
Particularly considering the in-game prompt "Let's see how your friends did". Sure. Repeating events for no reward does NOT count as additional content.

Nevertheless, since y'all claiming it's difficult, I ran it twice tonight in the Mazda RX-Vision. Easy win with both strategies. RH/1 stop = win by 28 sec, RM/2 stop = win by 53 seconds (including 2 penalties and running out of fuel on the final corner).

With RMs it's easy to lap in the 1:57 range (best 1:56.488) however I think the best strategy is to get behind the race leader on lap 2 or 3 and then use slipstream and lean fuel mix to save fuel until he pits. In my races the leader is lapping approx 1.58-59 so the lost time is more than compensated by the time saved in the pits.

Now to figure out how to get that 31 laps again :irked:

Nevertheless, since y'all claiming it's difficult, I ran it twice tonight in the Mazda RX-Vision. Easy win with both strategies. RH/1 stop = win by 28 sec, RM/2 stop = win by 53 seconds (including 2 penalties and running out of fuel on the final corner).
The Mazda RX-Vision always was the easiest car to win this race with, but those win-gaps seem incredible. A win by 53 seconds is 61 seconds better than my first and last post-1.49 attempt, which is a difference of 2 seconds a lap, even more if you allow for your penalties and fuel issue. I was averaging in the 1:58s (used to average in the 1:57s), which means that you must have been averaging in the low 1:56s. Something doesn’t add up here - I wonder if the consistency of the AI opposition (which used to be ultra-consistent) has changed with the update?

Did you do this race in 'hard' mode? …although the Missions are supposed to be unaffected by the Mode, lots of people claim otherwise. I guess I’m going to have to try different cars again now the physics have changed.

Last edited:
Now to figure out how to get that 31 laps again
If you manage to do, please screenshot it:
1722578836390.png

By feel this was faster than my Lexus run, though the Lexus is showing up in the leaderboards.
I would like to compare the times to know whether it will record your "first best" (sucks!) or "current best" (then I was slower).

however I think the best strategy is to get behind the race leader on lap 2 or 3 and then use slipstream and lean fuel mix to save fuel until he pits.
I would agree to this if you manage to do it on RH, otherwise in my opinion the timeloss of following is bigger than the timeloss of refueling. I dont think you can save enough fuel by following 8 to 9 laps with a margin of 1 to 2 seconds to your fastest lap to not lose time in the pits. The AI is too slow for this strategy.

A win by 53 seconds is 61 seconds
The AI never was consistent in its pace, so A being in the lead by x seconds more than B doesnt really tell as much as knowing the fastest AI total time or the total time of either A or B.
Not possible to deduct the race by just saying "I was finishing P1 with a 10 second lead".

Also you have to consider pit time vs lap time.
For example the Lexus RCF'17 can be driven to such an extent to consistently lap 1.58 but making it an "easy" win because you only need to refuel for 8 or 9 laps whereas other cars easily take tripple the amount.

Last edited:
Did you do this race in 'hard' mode? …although the Missions are supposed to be unaffected by the Mode, lots of people claim otherwise. I guess I’m going to have to try different cars again now the physics have changed.
Yes it's in Hard mode. I was running constant 1.57 with a few 1.56s.
I think the AI are really struggling with the tyre wear. As others have mentioned in this forum, it's having a much more progressive feel now after 1.49 update i.e. need to progressively reduce corner entry speed as the tyres wear, whereas previously you could pretty much ignore it until around 50% worn. I've seen some AI sliding off corners, and others with greatly reduced lap times due to tyre wear.
Accordingly this race might actually be easier to win now after update 1.49.

Back