The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

If a car completes 70% race distance, it would be classified in the final results.

If a car completes 70% race distance, it would be classified in the final results.

That's the US rule. In Europe you have to cross the finishing line to be classified. That's why Corvette used to build up a big lead at Le Mans before heading for the pits and waiting until near the end of the race before going for the finish.

Alonso just interviewed on Eurosport. Said that he thinks he will one day race at Le Mans. Make of that what you will.

I take it as being that he intends to retire from F1 in a few years time...

all the streams I came across are Eurosport steams, I don't have Fox Sports 2 so Fox Sports go is useless right now, does anyone have a link to the stream of the 24 hours of Le Mans with the Fox Sports commentary?

So I wonder if we should revisit all the comments made during the Spa 6 hours about how Audi were so miserably slow and didn't have a chance to win this...

Yeah, in the future let's not play the hopeful (or hopeless in this case) fan that wishes to see Audi crumble and get duped when the actual 24h race rolls around. Cause you end up being wrong to those who did it...be like @LancerEvo7

That guy is going places did you see his predictions?

Last edited:
Zytek Motorsport announces LMP2 coupe for 2016

Zytek2016LMP2-1.jpg
That windshield seems to go very far towards the front of the car IMO.

Endurance racing never ceases to amaze me.

"This is the technology that will be in road cars in 10-15 years." the proponents of endurance racing say.

"Will you spend those 10-15 years fixing the problems with them?" I ask.

----------

Reliability is the first step towards winning in motorsports. Did anyone finish in LMP1H?

"This is the technology that will be in road cars in 10-15 years." the proponents of endurance racing say.

----------

Reliability is the first step towards winning in motorsports. Did anyone finish in LMP1H?

Better question is how long do you plan on interjecting asinine comments in motor sport and general car threads? We already have quite a good group of people that do that. Let me guess you're just trying to bait for attention because you can't figure out the next skewed regs for a series you plan to run?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, @LMSCorvetteGT2... I'm sure your mommy appreciates when you randomly call someone out on something irrelevant...

*is in Le Mans conversations, assumes touring car guy is stealing specs from Le Mans for touring car series*

Oh, wait, that makes no sense.

And, excuse me for exaggerating a rather obvious point. LMP1H - the future of automotive technology - had a failure rate above 50%. That's scary. Almost like GM's success rate with their new cars - recalls everywhere.

And why? Because the cars are unnecessarily convoluted without proper testing. But, I know you're going to brush this comment aside as I am posting something that you clearly don't want to read. Not my problem. Someone will appreciate my cynical comments for being truthfully exaggerated. There's an element of truth in my exaggerations, in other words you might actually understand. I feel like I have to say it twice for you to read and understand.

But, oh, continue to call my comments "asanine" or whatever... Because that is a more-worthy contribution than my actual exaggerated truth. I find, it goes to show how technologically sophisticated these cars are - their operating window is so narrow... The cars frequently run into trouble.

And, this technology will inevitably end up in your Kia Optima, Hyundai Accent or Audi A4. I sense trouble with the road cars that get these powerplants. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, though.

And, excuse me for exaggerating a rather obvious point. LMP1H - the future of automotive technology - had a failure rate above 50%. That's scary. Almost like GM's success rate with their new cars - recalls everywhere.
Make no mistake, these are experimental high-performance prototypes being pushed to their limits for 24 hours without rest. A failure rate of 50%, especially in the first year of these cars, is nothing to be ashamed of and there is absolutely no correlation between their reliability and the reliability of road cars in the future. I don't know what you're on about.

Thanks for the kind words, @LMSCorvetteGT2... I'm sure your mommy appreciates when you randomly call someone out on something irrelevant...

I doubt she cares, you do realize some of us don't live with our mothers still, just thought I'd open your eyes since the world doesn't live like you do.

*is in Le Mans conversations, assumes touring car guy is stealing specs from Le Mans for touring car series*

Oh, wait, that makes no sense.

Actually I never said that, you are the one that seemed to have come up with that from hardly much context and thus did a proverbial hanging of yourself. Bravo, never seen someone do that so well on their own words.

What I did say is, you crawled out from under your rock decided to derail this thread and add nothing with what can only be summed up to trite from a troll.

Um well you're wrong. There were 7 LMP1 H cars at Le Mans this year with only 2 of them having been retired due to electrical failure/power unit... Thus more like half of the suggested attrition rate you just posted. Good job at hanging yourself again.

And why? Because the cars are unnecessarily convoluted without proper testing. But, I know you're going to brush this comment aside as I am posting something that you clearly don't want to read. Not my problem. Someone will appreciate my cynical comments for being truthfully exaggerated. There's an element of truth in my exaggerations, in other words you might actually understand. I feel like I have to say it twice for you to read and understand.

Wow, and now you want to use a cop out with an assumption, like I told another user earlier if I'm going to make the effort to argue, I'm clearly reading everything you say.

As for your hyperbole, if someone likes your comment and that's all you need to make it to the next day without purposely slamming your foot in a door, then by all means take it. But I really don't have any 🤬 to give. Also if someone does happen to like it (rare but likely), they're probably as misinformed as you, but a hollow victory is just that.

Well you didn't say it twice unless you mean the repetition of this one post alone...

But, oh, continue to call my comments "asanine" or whatever... Because that is a more-worthy contribution than my actual exaggerated truth. I find, it goes to show how technologically sophisticated these cars are - their operating window is so narrow... The cars frequently run into trouble.

If you're going to paraphrase/quote me do it right it's "asinine".

Yeah and they equally ran into trouble before the Hybrid technology, you might want to get that fickle mind looked at. Also unless you plan to run your Audi or Toyota for 24 hours I doubt you have much to worry about.

And, this technology will inevitably end up in your Kia Optima, Hyundai Accent or Audi A4. I sense trouble with the road cars that get these powerplants. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, though.

I don't drive Korean makes, unless that your is a general term and not singular? Also road cars have been and are currently getting technology from F1 and LMP and lower.

And you're batting a thousand.

Last edited:
It's all NASCAR's fault why those LMP-HY failed. NASCAR wanted Toyota to win because they race in NASCRAP, so they kept making the rest of the cars have problems. Anyone with eyes could tell you that. :lol:

----------

And how often do you drive flat out for 24 hours straight in your road car?

These are highly experimental technologies in their early stages of life, which will be comprehensively different by the time they end up in a road car. Some of them may never make it, others may end up being something you could never imaging not having in a car.

And @cnd01 stop that crap, it wasn't funny the first time, and it isn't now.

It's called the scientific method. Let me show you.

Scientific_Method.gif

Hypothesis is false, aka doesn't work as hoped, revise, and try again. Hypothesis is true, aka does work as hoped, repeat and see if it does break over time, perhaps through multiple endurance, high tolerance testing scenarios.

You know how trucks have a suggested maximum cargo load? They reached that number, not by pulling it out of their butts, but by adding weight in multiple tests until they found a minimum failure weight. If that weight was too low they would redesign it.

Every technology failure is a scientific success because it is useable data for what does and doesn't work. Want to know why it is going to be 10-15 years for it to get to road cars and not next year? Because they have failures and then try again, and again, and again...

These are human scientists, not genies. They can't think it up and make it work without problem. Even the greatest minds in history had hundreds of failures.

So, to answer your initial question: Yes, they are spending those 10-15 years fixing the problems. You just witnessed them doing it.

God help you if you ever watch engineers working out algorithms and running computer simulations. You'd think the world was ready to implode if you assumed that was typical of the final result.

And if I recall, the recalls (pun intended) were due to faulty parts or problems in the manufacturing process. I checked the NHTSA recall list and can't find a single one where a GM (or any manufacturer) created race car had some issue on the new tech go wrong and they just said, "Screw it. Put it on the road."

Start of the race!

👍

Nice start this year, but dang I missed it this year and I wanted to see the Porsche LMP in action live and Toyota's TS030s defeating Audi's R18's!!!

Well, who won and how did the Porsche do? Did our boys at Team GT Academy win their class?

👍

Nice start this year, but dang I missed it this year and I wanted to see the Porsche LMP in action live and Toyota's TS030s defeating Audi's R18's!!!

Well, who won and how did the Porsche do? Did our boys at Team GT Academy win their class?

Just a heads up it isn't a TS030, Porsche were leading in the end but broke down and had to retire with an hour and a half left. Audi won. Toyota's faster car broke down while the other one crashed and lost its chance to finish on podium. And that's about it.

Back