The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
1176964902_2052c09403.jpg

I'd guess a Porsche (*cough*VW*cough*) 914 has a chance of winning "Slowest Orange Car." I have no idea what the official acceleration figures are, but they can't be quick. Even if it is top speed, I'd assume much the same.

But they're very light cars - I've seen several that have impressed me at local autocrosses, but I imagine that they're modified.

The 914 is probably quicker than you think. We'll have to check it out when judgement time comes.

Bad news Diego. The E30 3-series you posted is NOT an M3 - just a normal 3-series with odd paint. Real M3s have fender flares and such - that one actually looks like a bone stock 318 or 325 with M paint and some M badges.

Worse news, the 190E 2.3 you posted is not the rarer 190E 2.3-16 like Gashlycrumb got (and I stipulated) - just a relatively common 190E 2.3 (which has 8 valves, unlike 16 in the Cosworth-developed performance model).

Sorry, Diego - That's not an M3, but instead a M-Tech/M-Technique 3 series. Close, but no cigar. (Note - No box flares, or raised decklid, and higher ride hight, and no front/side/rear skirts).
(Though I bet Doug will still give you a point - The M-Technique cars are rarer than even M3's are.)

Edit-Tree'd.

hmmm... it has M badges, and it's an E30... damn him.

And the owner of the 190E told me it was the Cosworth engine, but some kids decided they also liked the 2.3-16 badges so they took them off...

hmmm... it has M badges, and it's an E30... damn him.

And the owner of the 190E told me it was the Cosworth engine, but some kids decided they also liked the 2.3-16 badges so they took them off...

The 190E has the bodykit - I'll give you the point there. I'd be surprised if he went to the trouble of fastening the bodykit and then forgot to do the badges - your explanation seems more plausible. Good spot. Sorry about the E30!

Categories for next week will be posted tomorrow around this time.

What's an M-Tech car? I've never heard of or seen one.

The M-Tech cars were essentially appearance and suspension modifications - They were available on the 325iS (and I believe the 318iS) during the later years of the E30 bodystyle. Not all of them were painted with the stripes on the hood, but they had a stiffer suspension, and a slightly different interior - Seating primarily, from what I understand. They were very rare (moreso than the M3, from my understanding), and I've only ever seen one.

They, apparently, are hard to find information on, too. Wikipedia didn't even mention it, though I've read about them before (I believe it was even on GTP a while back).

The M-Tech cars were essentially appearance and suspension modifications - They were available on the 325iS (and I believe the 318iS) during the later years of the E30 bodystyle. Not all of them were painted with the stripes on the hood, but they had a stiffer suspension, and a slightly different interior - Seating primarily, from what I understand. They were very rare (moreso than the M3, from my understanding), and I've only ever seen one.

They, apparently, are hard to find information on, too. Wikipedia didn't even mention it, though I've read about them before (I believe it was even on GTP a while back).

They aren't that rare. As you say they are essentially bodykit and suspension mods. They were pretty much a dealer fit facelift to generate more sales towards the end of the E30 bodystyle. I see quite a few around, mostly the 318iS version though. There are also plently of people who have retro-fitted the bodykit to non-Mtech versions.

NEXT WEEK'S CATEGORIES - DUE AUGUST 31

1. Least valuable minivan. Current value only. Must be drivable.
2. Mid-engined car with eight or more cylinders. Most wins.
3. All-wheel drive car with eight or more cylinders. Most wins. SUVs do not count - cars only.
4. Most expensive British car. Traditionally British cars - so this includes Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, even though some might not call them British. No I do not believe this category gives British members an advantage - Rolls-Royce sells more Phantoms here than it does in the UK!

BONUS:

New BMW 3-series Cabriolet with the roof down

-or-

new Audi TT with the roof down.

You can only get one bonus point - no two for both cars.

Hope there's still a lot of people holding out on this week's categories because entries end in less than 24 hours if I'm not mistaken! Judging won't take place until early next week, however.

1. Least valuable minivan. Current value only. Must be drivable.
I picture Ford Aerostars. Considering they are worthless now even in good condition, and that there hardly are any in good condition, I think I have a tactical advantage.
2. Mid-engined car with eight or more cylinders. Most wins.
3. All-wheel drive car with eight or more cylinders. Most wins.
So, see a Veyron an you are practically a shoe-in.

Hold on - I've got more entries!!!!
Will update in a few minutes with the pictures.

Edit - I see we've got more time. I'll add them later tonight.

Slowest Orange Vehicle
carspot04xh3.jpg

Bonus: M3
carspot002cg2.jpg

I may add a couple more tomorrow before judging. Or, I shall say, I will add more, if I can get home and have them posted in time.

More.

Heart of a Cow
carspot001yd9.jpg

1970 Chevelle SS454 - Probably an LS5, not the legendary LS6. But an SS454 is rare in any circumstance.
5.01*1.87*1.39/7.44=1.75

Slowest orange vehicle. This will be judged on 0-60 time.

1989 Mitsubishi Delica 4wd. I don't know what the 0-60 is but it can't be quick. 80hp 1800kg and its an Automatic!

4. Size of a mouse, heart of a cow.

HSV GTO Coupe 6.0

4.7*1.8*1.3 = 10.9 / 6 = 1.83

BONUS

2. Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 (this)

As per earlier post.

My only contender this week, seeing as the orange cars posted already are considerably slower than what I saw, is:

Most Expensive Merc - CLS (unknown model... again):
expmerc.jpg

1. Slowest orange vehicle.
dsc00809mn3.jpg

I've had a complete mind blank of what this is. But it looks hideously slow. But I think it's a Peugeot or Citroen or one of those things.

2. Most expensive Mercedes-Benz. This is current value only.
dsc00812af8.jpg

Crappy photo of ML500.

3. Most expensive side-by-side. This is the most expensive pair of vehicles (TWO ONLY) you can find parked next to each other. Values will be calculated based on US-market pricing.
dsc00812af8.jpg

ML500 + Seat Cordoba = ML500 + 5000$AUD

4. Size of a mouse, heart of a cow. Get the smallest vehicle with the largest engine (in liters). Size will be calculated the same way Famine's was.
dsc00806ez7.jpg

VE Commodore SS - 6.0L

(Sorry don't have time to calculate figures, but I've gotta hurry out)

most expensive mercedes
SL55 AMG

Most expensive side by side
SL55 AMG and CLK 280

and yet, you ignore the clio on the other side.
Yes, because the category is for the 2 most expensive side by side. Are you saying the Clio is worth more than the CLK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back