The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Slowest orange vehicle. This will be judged on 0-60 time.
Early-to-mid 70s Volvo 245 DL SW. Power: 69hp. Curb weight: 2115 kgs.
0-60 time: 34,05 secs.

2. Most expensive Mercedes-Benz. This is current value only.
Mercedes Benz SL500 = 115.400€ - 157,765.36 USD

4. Size of a mouse, heart of a cow. Get the smallest vehicle with the largest engine (in liters). Size will be calculated the same way Famine's was.

Mercedes Benz SL500

Length: 4.532 m x Width: 1.827 m x Height: 1.298 m / 5.461 litres = 1.96

Chevrolet Corvette C6

Length: 4.435 m x Width: 1.844 m x Height: 1.246 m / 5.967 litres = 1.70

BONUS
1. BMW M3 E30

2. Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I found one, posted earlier. But I also found this one yesterday, although it says it's a 2.5-15

Final Entries 'R' Me!

1176964902_2052c09403.jpg

I'd guess a Porsche (*cough*VW*cough*) 914 has a chance of winning "Slowest Orange Car." I have no idea what the official acceleration figures are, but they can't be quick. Even if it is top speed, I'd assume much the same.

Smallest Car with Biggest Engine

C5 Convertible, I believe a 1.7 (same as posted before)

LAST MINUTE EDIT!

Smallest Car with Biggest Engine
n78001441_30374955_2962.jpg

4.7 (length) X 1.7 (width) X 1.2 (height) / 5.7 (350ci V8) = 1.68

Seeing as other people have, I'll enter the SL55, for heart of a cow type thing.

Crappy old Dodge Caravan...on autotrader they are around $2000

2508070926jc3.jpg

Doug will judge this weeks entries when he gets back.

Meanwhile, this weeks categories are up.

I'm under the impression Yssman's last-minute entry is out of time... can anyone confirm that?

Early-to-mid 70s Volvo 245 DL SW. Power: 69hp. Curb weight: 2115 kgs.
I find that kind of hard to believe. Unless you seriously expect that adding a diesel engine made the curb weight increase by 710kg (which is pretty much 200kgs over the 240 wagons GVWR).

I'm under the impression Yssman's last-minute entry is out of time... can anyone confirm that?

His entry was in time. His "last minute" edit was out of time.

I find that kind of hard to believe. Unless you seriously expect that adding a diesel engine made the curb weight increase by 710kg (which is pretty much 200kgs over the 240 wagons GVWR).

I Googled that generation and it said it weighed 4700 lbs. (for the SW), which is 2115 kilos.

If you can find more reliable information on the specific model, I'd be glad to alter my claim.

EDIT: Upon further research, it appears my initial information was mistaken... damn third-part sites. The Volvo's curb weight is 4299 lbs. or 1950 kilos; and the horsepower is 100. Which brings the 0-60 time to 21,6 seconds.

Source

His entry was in time. His "last minute" edit was out of time.

Bah, no big deal... It ended up that I was splitting hairs there with the different Vettes. I would have only beaten Diego by two hundredths of a point...

I'm slapping myself. I just remembered that our next door neighbour has an orange VW Vanagon diesel. Stupid me.

Okay, last week...

Slowest orange vehicle - Slicks (VW Bus)
Most expensive Mercedes - GV
Most expensive side-by-side - GV
Smallest car with biggest engine - EDIT: Diego (C6 convertible) (YSSMAN was too late with the C3)

Bonus
Slicks
Diego
Diego
Gashlycrumb

No tie anymore. Diego wins!

tee hee... I think the bonuses had something to do with my winning, though :D

Oddly enough, that's the first and only C6 I've seen ever. It just magically appeared out of nowhere and parked in front of my office.

I think I came 2nd in my first proper attempt at this. not bad :)

I have a question: Do cars in the US, Australia and/or NZ have any visual representation to identify the driver as a novice?

Here they have a reflective L at the back, and I think in UK they have it on the bonnet... can anyone confirm if they exist elsewhere?

There is no markings on the outside of a car here in the US...other then maybe the paint from other cars they have hit.

In Australia we have L-Plates which have to been shown on the front and back of the car.

Well, we do, but thats only the giant yellow "DRIVERS EDUCATION" stickers thats all over the car you learn in...

Well, we do, but thats only the giant yellow "DRIVERS EDUCATION" stickers thats all over the car you learn in...

Well, yeah, but I was referring to the moment after you've got your licence. In some Euro countries and apparently in Australia too (thanks Casio), once you've got your driver's licence, you have to identify your car as that of a novice driver for a full year.

It's really demeaning, since no one let's these n00bs go by, they can't go above a certain speed, aren't allowed after 10pm and a bunch of other things. Plus, they're an easy target for cops. The advantages are that us, experienced drivers, can see them from far away and steer clear.

Too bad there's no way to identify them in the US... there goes one great category. :indiff:

Well, yeah, but I was referring to the moment after you've got your licence. In some Euro countries and apparently in Australia too (thanks Casio), once you've got your driver's licence, you have to identify your car as that of a novice driver for a full year.

Sorry. The one after you obtain your licence is the P-Plate (Probationary) in Australia. However, in my state they must be displayed for 4 years. I'm on them but rarely wear the plates because they look lame.

In Michigan, you're never marked as a "learner" ever, on anything (well, with the exception of the aforementioned cars). But, you can usually tell who is a newer driver;

Music blasting, car falling apart, NOFX or Obama '08 stickers on the back, usually a load of crap in the back-seat.

I have a question: Do cars in the US, Australia and/or NZ have any visual representation to identify the driver as a novice?

Here they have a reflective L at the back, and I think in UK they have it on the bonnet... can anyone confirm if they exist elsewhere?

In British Columbia, we have a graduated licensing system - You have to display a reflective L (learners) for one year with certain restrictions on your license (Time of day, number of passengers, supervisor mandatory, no BAC), and then a reflective N (novice) on the back of your car for two years, with fewer restrictions (Number of passengers, no BAC).
I just recently got rid of my N and now have a full drivers license - It's nice!

In New Zealand after you sit and pass the theory test, you're ready to go out on the road. But, you have to have a yellow L plate on the front and back (usually in the windows) and a qualified driver with you at all times. This period is referred to as the Learner's License. I think this lasts for 6 months.

Once you've mastered the basics, you're ready for a practical assessment. Pass that 1hr test, taking you through various driving situations with an examiner in the car with you, and you're onto your Restricted License. No L plates any more, but you cannot have unqualified passengers in the car (without a qualified one in the front seat) and you can't drive after 10pm or before 6am (I think) without a qualified driver.

I can't remember the times anymore, but I think the Restricted License period is 18 months, but can be halved if the student takes a theory Defensive Driving Course.

Then there's a further practical assessment, and once passed you're released free onto the NZ roads to do as you will on a Full License.

The tests are all too easy in my opinion. I didn't 'study' for either practical test (as in go through the test with a driving instructor first - I just had my parents show me how to drive) and I passed both first time. :indiff:

It's really demeaning, since no one let's these n00bs go by, they can't go above a certain speed, aren't allowed after 10pm and a bunch of other things. Plus, they're an easy target for cops. The advantages are that us, experienced drivers, can see them from far away and steer clear.

Too bad there's no way to identify them in the US... there goes one great category. :indiff:

In the UK, there's no obligation to wear the green P-plates, nor any restriction on what you can and cannot do.

Though if you rack up 6 penalty points in the first 2 years after you pass your test, you are banned and must sit a retest (usually 12 points and no retest) to get your licence back.

I was thinking of a category having to do with novice drivers, but since many of the countries represented here don't have a visual representation of it in the cars, then that's out the window.

Thanks for the swift answers, though.

Thanking you.

bentleygtcg7.jpg

Aye, the Conti GT. There's a picture of one on my phone's memory card, awaiting download. W12, 4wd: only a Veyron can beat it outright. It's not unbeatable as "most expensive British car" though. If only that DB9 Volante I saw recently would reappear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back