The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,687 comments
I've mentioned it before. People move here to get away from whatever is wrong in their state, then complain about our state. They then proceed to vote for people who promote and are funded by out of state people from the same places they left.
Stacey Abrams and Jon Ossoff come to mind of no name people entering GA politics with California liberal funding. One of them didn't even live in the district they were running for.

I think it has something to do with dating outside your family.

Example:
Californian: "Look, she's pretty and all, but isn't she your cousin?"
Georgian: "Hey man, don't California my Georgia!"

I could certainly be wrong though. :P
Seriously man?

zWrjJjZ.jpg

I've mentioned it before. People move here to get away from whatever is wrong in their state, then complain about our state. They then proceed to vote for people who promote and are funded by out of state people from the same places they left.
Stacey Abrams and Jon Ossoff come to mind of no name people entering GA politics with California liberal funding. One of them didn't even live in the district they were running for.
So... is it freedom of movement within the US that liberals shouldn't have, or just freedom to vote with their conscience no matter where they live? Not sure which you're proposing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...migration-patterns-should-terrify-gop/598153/

Last edited:
So... is it freedom of movement within the US that liberals shouldn't have, or just freedom to vote with their conscience no matter where they live? Not sure which you're proposing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...migration-patterns-should-terrify-gop/598153/
They have the right to do whatever they want to do. I have the right to be pissed off, that someone moves here, complains about my state, then proceeds to vote for the same crap they moved away from.
I just went through this argument here a week or so ago...

They have the right to do whatever they want to do. I have the right to be pissed off, that someone moves here, complains about my state, then proceeds to vote for the same crap they moved away from.

I’ve always found the “don’t CA my state” thing to not be well thought out and pretty low effort. It makes massive assumptions about people from CA that sways opinion from “they might be one of the good ones” to “they are all bad”. It feeds a lot of hostility and sometimes when people’s small world is changing around them, they need a quick scapegoat as to the reason. The idea of a Californian to people in different states is almost laughable and kind of reminds me of that SNL skit called The Californians where a bunch of New Yorkers portray people from CA horribly. The idea that we are all big city folk. CA is huge, agricultural state with a big oil and gas industry. Compare someone from Los Angeles to someone from say, Bakersfield. They are both Californians. Vastly different. For each person who would be the example of bringing CA policies to whatever state, there is probably at least one other who cancels out that person. Like if a hardcore CA conservative moved to Arizona, would they then start voting opposite than they always have? It’s weak. It’s low effort.

Last edited:
You know I thought the same thing about Californians moving to Texas. Now it is true a lot of California libs are moving to the Austin area, mostly for tech jobs. And yeah they are ruining that city.

But, keep in mind there are nearly 4.8 million registered Republican Californians. More than in any other state, except for maybe Texas*. It is Republicans and independents that are more dissatisfied with the way the state is run. I don't think the majority of the exodus from California is Democrats.

*Try as I might, I could not find the number of registered Republicans in Texas.

You know I thought the same thing about Californians moving to Texas. Now it is true a lot of California libs are moving to the Austin area, mostly for tech jobs. And yeah they are ruining that city.

But, keep in mind there are nearly 4.8 million registered Republican Californians. More than in any other state, except for maybe Texas*. It is Republicans and independents that are more dissatisfied with the way the state is run. I don't think the majority of the exodus from California is Democrats.

*Try as I might, I could not find the number of registered Republicans in Texas.

So if someone that is born and raised in Georgia complains about Georgia and votes a different way than you do, does that piss you off too?

Yeah they're really ruining Austin alright.

https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate/best-places-to-live/us/

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-news-best-places-to-live-in-america-2016-3 (ranked #1 three years in a row)

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/p...-no-1-best-place-to-live-according-to-us-news

I’ve always found the “don’t CA my state” thing to not be well thought out and pretty low effort. It makes massive assumptions about people from CA that sways opinion from “they might be one of the good ones” to “they are all bad”. It feeds a lot of hostility and sometimes when people’s small world is changing around them, they need a quick scapegoat as to the reason. The idea of a Californian to people in different states is almost laughable and kind of reminds me of that SNL skit called The Californians where a bunch of New Yorkers portray people from CA horribly. The idea that we are all big city folk. CA is huge, agricultural state with a big oil and gas industry. Compare someone from Los Angeles to someone from say, Bakersfield. They are both Californians. Vastly different. For each person who would be the example of bringing CA policies to whatever state, there is probably at least one other who cancels out that person. Like if a hardcore CA conservative moved to Arizona, would they then start voting opposite than they always have? It’s weak. It’s low effort.

Agreed.

What if it were?

Kinda thought I put this discussion to bed:

So much to unpack here...

People move for lots of reasons. Tons. Sometimes they move to a state they like less politically for reasons that are not political at all. For example, I moved to California, a state which I did not like politically, from Texas, mostly based on work. And the work was not there because of the way people were voting in CA compared to TX either.

Yet I did move there. And I did not adopt the prevailing political culture there. So should I have? According to @Chrunch Houston I suppose I should have.

Second, this is a bit of a confirmation bias test. You might think that it's obvious what "screwed up" some state for someone, but that's because you have your own preconceived notions about what "screwed up" looks like, and why people are moving, and what policies caused the thing that you think is "screwed up".

For example, suppose one of the things that you think "screwed up" California is tax rates. But someone moving from California is leaving because of how expensive real estate is. They move to, let's say Texas, and start voting for higher taxes. You think "that's what screwed up your state, don't vote for that here, you had to flee your state" (edit: pretend you're in Texas for this part). But of course they fled their state because of real-estate prices, not taxes. And let's further suppose that the real reason California is "screwed up" is because it's super popular because of the weather. And neither taxes nor anything to do with government treatment of real-estate are the actual "problem".

You're doing a ton of projecting of your own opinion in this circumstance. As a result, people behave in a way that you can't seemingly explain. If people are voting in a particular way, and they get what they want, and it turns out that it's obvious to everyone that it's causing tons of problems, and leaving. Why would they vote the same way again? You might handwave some sort of dehumanizing trait here, but you don't have a solid explanation for it. The reality is that something in that chain is broken. Either it's not obvious that it's causing the problem, or it's not actually a problem, or they're not leaving because of that problem, or they're not voting in the same way (but you think they are).

In short, moving to Texas from California does not mean voting for Trump. That's a false dichotomy, black and white fallacy if ever I heard one. Similarly, when I moved from Texas to California, it did not mean that I should start voting for democrats.

So tell me, should I have started voting democrat when I moved to CA?

No I just simply gave up at the time.

No.

Y'all have completely missed the point. I've explained it and y'all keep bringing it back to this...

Then I misunderstood your point, because I thought I responded directly to what you were saying. Please try to explain how i missed your point.

I was actually hoping that you'd explain.
Explain what man? I've posted my thoughts on it. Go back and read it. This is the part I don't like about debating y'all here sometimes.
I get asked to explain why by someone, I explain, I get asked the same question by a different user, I explain. I then post something else on the same subject and it ends up with me having to explain EVERYTHING AGAIN! I have better things to do with my life!
I already know you're not going to agree cause all you want to do is ask me the same question over and over again like you expect a different answer(they have a word for that).

Last time, I don't have the right to tell anyone how to vote. I don't have the have the right to tell anyone where to move. On the flip side I do have the right to complain about someone MOVING HERE, COMPLAINING, AND VOTING FOR THE SAME CRAP THEY LEFT.
I'm not yelling, just saying it loudly for the people in the back row.

Now to address BloodEagles post...
That's a huge problem in a state that hasn't seen major price increases in a decade much less a minimum wage increase in almost 2 decades.
Say what you want about GA but you can get a house that would probably be over a million in CA or NY for 3-400K here.
Now you come in and buy something, increase the property values and then your neighbor who had been living there for 40+ years has to move cause they can't afford the property tax cause they are on a fixed income.
Good job, you just took a retired persons home they worked their entire life for and given it to the government all cause you didn't like where YOU came from and you don't like where YOU decided to move.

It's not all about voting. It's about coming into a state and turning everything upside down, slowly but surely cause you don't like it.
If you don't like it here go back to the state you came from and fix it. Leave us alone!

It's like the whole gentrification is good argument. It's not. All it does is move the problem to another area of town. They say we'll build affordable housing, they do for some. When I stayed in the hood and I've talked about it here. We stayed in some low rent apartment. We were paying $650 for a 2100sqft 3b/2ba. We were told we could return at a similar rate. Nope, they turned it into condos starting in the low 200s. Would've been $1400 a month lease. How the hell am I supposed to pay that? My pay didn't increase.
If you're fortunate enough to get government assistance all you're doing is putting an ever growing strain on an already flawed system which ends up cost the tax payers more which also means less money in their pockets cause their pay at work didn't increase.

It's fine and dandy till you get that letter on your door... They sell it like you're gonna be living in a utopia, you can't afford after they said they would. You end up in a trailer in the mountains broke cause your baby mama left cause she said "you failed" to me.

Screw the whole system man!

I'm done, don't expect a response soon. I've taken the subject in to many directions, pissed myself off thinking about the past and pretty much done with the subject as a whole.

/r sorry for the wall of text rant

Edit: And funny enough they haven't even sold 10 condos. Good job upending 100s of people's lives so you could sell 10 condos. I wonder if the 2 apartment complexes that are still there have something to do with it...

Last edited:
Explain what man? I've posted my thoughts on it. Go back and read it. This is the part I don't like about debating y'all here sometimes.
I get asked to explain why by someone, I explain, I get asked the same question by a different user, I explain. I then post something else on the same subject and it ends up with me having to explain EVERYTHING AGAIN! I have better things to do with my life!
I already know you're not going to agree cause all you want to do is ask me the same question over and over again like you expect a different answer(they have a word for that).

Except clearly you didn't explain it well enough for me to understand you because, as you said, you think I missed the point.

Last time, I don't have the right to tell anyone how to vote. I don't have the have the right to tell anyone where to move. On the flip side I do have the right to complain about someone MOVING HERE, COMPLAINING, AND VOTING FOR THE SAME CRAP THEY LEFT.
I'm not yelling, just saying it loudly for the people in the back row.

I totally directly responded to that right here:

So much to unpack here...

People move for lots of reasons. Tons. Sometimes they move to a state they like less politically for reasons that are not political at all. For example, I moved to California, a state which I did not like politically, from Texas, mostly based on work. And the work was not there because of the way people were voting in CA compared to TX either.

Yet I did move there. And I did not adopt the prevailing political culture there. So should I have? According to @Chrunch Houston I suppose I should have.

Second, this is a bit of a confirmation bias test. You might think that it's obvious what "screwed up" some state for someone, but that's because you have your own preconceived notions about what "screwed up" looks like, and why people are moving, and what policies caused the thing that you think is "screwed up".

For example, suppose one of the things that you think "screwed up" California is tax rates. But someone moving from California is leaving because of how expensive real estate is. They move to, let's say Texas, and start voting for higher taxes. You think "that's what screwed up your state, don't vote for that here, you had to flee your state" (edit: pretend you're in Texas for this part). But of course they fled their state because of real-estate prices, not taxes. And let's further suppose that the real reason California is "screwed up" is because it's super popular because of the weather. And neither taxes nor anything to do with government treatment of real-estate are the actual "problem".

You're doing a ton of projecting of your own opinion in this circumstance. As a result, people behave in a way that you can't seemingly explain. If people are voting in a particular way, and they get what they want, and it turns out that it's obvious to everyone that it's causing tons of problems, and leaving. Why would they vote the same way again? You might handwave some sort of dehumanizing trait here, but you don't have a solid explanation for it. The reality is that something in that chain is broken. Either it's not obvious that it's causing the problem, or it's not actually a problem, or they're not leaving because of that problem, or they're not voting in the same way (but you think they are).

In short, moving to Texas from California does not mean voting for Trump. That's a false dichotomy, black and white fallacy if ever I heard one. Similarly, when I moved from Texas to California, it did not mean that I should start voting for democrats.

If you think this misses the point, you're not saying something you're trying to say. At least as far as I can tell. This directly explains how someone can move, complain, and vote for the same crap they left. In fact, I directly gave an example of me moving, complaining, and voting for the same crap I left. You responded by saying that's exactly what I should have done, and then said it's exactly not what I should have done.

You can see my confusion.

Except clearly you didn't explain it well enough for me to understand you because, as you said, you think I missed the point.

I totally directly responded to that right here:

If you think this misses the point, you're not saying something you're trying to say. At least as far as I can tell. This directly explains how someone can move, complain, and vote for the same crap they left. In fact, I directly gave an example of me moving, complaining, and voting for the same crap I left. You responded by saying that's exactly what I should have done, and then said it's exactly not what I should have done.

You can see my confusion.
I might be wrong but you are giving examples of how voting how you voted where you moved from affects the people in the area you moved to. I'm not telling people how to vote. It's more of take into consideration the people in the neighborhood you just moved into.
You hit the nail on the head in your 4th paragraph. I just gave a perfect example of the elderly couple losing the house they spent their entire life working for. All cause property values increased and in turn property taxes increased and guess what? Not a vote was cast.

I can see how it looks like I'm telling someone what to do but IMO I'm just voicing my opinion. At the end of the day I can't control how someone votes, or the out come.
I can be that grumpy millennial sitting on my porch beer in hand yelling at my neighbor to get off my lawn! You ruined the neighborhood!

We can agree to disagree or you can think I'm a hypocrite. I honestly don't know what you think. I'll still be sitting on my porch like the grumpy old man.

I might be wrong but you are giving examples of how voting how you voted where you moved from affects the people in the area you moved to.

Uh... wait what?

I'm not telling people how to vote. It's more of take into consideration the people in the neighborhood you just moved into.

I understand that you do not think you can force people to vote a particular way. But you are telling them how to vote. Specifically you're telling them to not be "VOTING FOR THE SAME CRAP THEY LEFT." What exactly do you mean when you say take into consideration the people in the neighborhood you moved into? You mean vote like those people?

Back