The Sunday Cup...Lotus Club GT...Open 

• Thread starter GTP_ADE
  • 5,926 comments
...COBANI has won the first prize of the championship by getting the most pole positions. Congratulations COBANI, you have won an exclusive Lotus Cars Hethel 40th anniversary pin badge.
DSC08518.jpg

I can't stop smiling! :) That is so cool, Ade. And thank you. :cheers:

Ok, you have had my race report, now for the pictures. Hope you all enjoy them.👍

RoadCourse-Daytona.jpg

Daytona is GO GO GO!

RoadCourse-Daytona_1.jpg

The front end seemed to break into 2 packs of cars.

RoadCourse-Daytona_2.jpg

Until Cobrius's touch on the green.

RoadCourse-Daytona_3.jpg

Which saw him go across the track.

RoadCourse-Daytona_4.jpg

This is all I could see, smoke from Omnius.

RoadCourse-Daytona_5.jpg

From his skidding Elise.

RoadCourse-Daytona_6.jpg

Meanwhile up at the front, Third_reign was closely followed by Cooper.

RoadCourse-Daytona_7.jpg

But Cooper lost it at the bus stop, leaving some lovely rubber.

RoadCourse-Daytona_8.jpg

Dowlin took full advantage, with a very dirty front wing.

RoadCourse-Daytona_9.jpg

Dowlin managed to take the lead on Third.

RoadCourse-Daytona_10.jpg

Until his meeting with the grass.

RoadCourse-Daytona_11.jpg

My successful pitstop, after getting a drive through. Hmm the pit mechanic at the right rear seems to have his leg in my engine bay.

RoadCourse-Daytona_12.jpg

Chasing Cobrius.

RoadCourse-Daytona_13.jpg

Getting closer.

RoadCourse-Daytona_15.jpg

8/1000ths of a second.

GTP_ADE
Just had a look at the replay, and I would like to make a special mention to Dowlin. Superb sportsmanship on lap 3. Watch the replay, because Dowlin would have been in contention for a podium tonight, possibly even 1st, but after touching the grass, he waited for all traffic to pass before rejoining safely. Great racing Dowling.

Thankes very much Ade I really appreciate this but I was just doing what I would expect any one of you to do. 👍

Also I really enjoyed your race report and great pictures as always 👍 I think thats the most pictures I've been in :lol:

So great to see other perspectives on the race, so thanks for the pics Ade!

My race report will be on in the coming days due to lack of time ...

Need to start practising for Fuji too ...:nervous:

Ok I've been inspired to give an attempt at a race report with pictures, here goes.

RoadCourse-Daytona_15.jpg

A pretty decent start for myself as we fly into the first corner...

RoadCourse-Daytona_16.jpg

So far so good as the pack splits into two tight packs...

RoadCourse-Daytona_14.jpg

Cooper unfortunately loses control but helps me as he narrowly misses Cobani and co. costing them time...

RoadCourse-Daytona_13.jpg

Myself and Third Reign having a good battle with Cobani creeping up behind us in lap 2...

RoadCourse-Daytona_12.jpg

I manage to take the lead for the first and only time during the race thanks to some slipstream...

RoadCourse-Daytona_11.jpg

But only for about half a lap as I touch the grass and drop to 8th...

RoadCourse-Daytona_10.jpg

And then I make another mistake due to frustration with myself and drop to 10th...

RoadCourse-Daytona_9.jpg

And then halfway through the next lap, I make another silly error which causes Trotter to lose control and spin...

RoadCourse-Daytona_8.jpg

But I give him the position back, leaving us 10th and 11th...

RoadCourse-Daytona_7.jpg

Me and Trotter perhaps thinking the same thing on lap 5, to just get the pitstop over with...

RoadCourse-Daytona.jpg

After approx. 6-7 laps of matching the leaders pace and capitalizing on yet more pit entry issues, i find myself in 7th and closing in on Cooper500sport...

RoadCourse-Daytona_6.jpg

And shortly afterwards, I gain another position due to Rosenlundaren's pitstop...

RoadCourse-Daytona_5.jpg

At lap 16, me and Cooper have closed down on Goodwolf in 4th and I start to get a sniff of it...

RoadCourse-Daytona_4.jpg

But me and Cooper both make errors at the accursed bustop, losing time to Goodwolf and putting 4th out of reach, but I gained some time on Cooper in the mayhem...

RoadCourse-Daytona_3.jpg

And I take full advantage of the slipstream and slip into 5th...

RoadCourse-Daytona_2.jpg

Only to lose it AGAIN at the bustop and giftwrap 5th place to Cooper on lap 17, I give chase hoping Cooper makes one more error...

RoadCourse-Daytona_1.jpg

But it wasn't to be and I ended up taking my battered Elise home in 6th, a position I was more than happy with given the nature of my race, but gutted at the thought of what could have been.

I hope you guys enjoyed this report, its my first so be kind :lol: 👍

EDIT: i hate you photobucket, if you right click it and click open images in new tab, you can see them. Sorry about that. Any help would be appreciated.
EDIT:EDIT: It's ok now i figured it out 👍​

Last edited:
Ok I've been inspired to give an attempt at a race report with pictures, here goes.

I hope you guys enjoyed this report, its my first so be kind :lol: 👍

EDIT: i hate you photobucket, if you right click it and click open images in new tab, you can see them. Sorry about that. Any help would be appreciated.

Great race report, and top pics. I like the one of the 2 packs at the start of the race. Did you get out and clean the dirt from your front wheel arch? Cheers Dowlin.👍

When I post pics from photobucket, I use the img code on the picture. Its the bottom option in the dropdown box that you get when you put your cursor over the thumbnail pics. Then just left click it and it automatically copies.

Edit, Your pics are showing now.

Last edited:
Great race report, and top pics. I like the one of the 2 packs at the start of the race. Did you get out and clean the dirt from your front wheel arch? Cheers Dowlin.👍

When I post pics from photobucket, I use the img code on the picture. Its the bottom option in the dropdown box that you get when you put your cursor over the thumbnail pics. Then just left click it and it automatically copies.

Edit, Your pics are showing now.

Thanks very much Ade, yeah I like how that picture turned out too, I was in a bit of a rush to take them but they ended up looking pretty good. Oh and I think that the dirt on my wheelarch was only on your screen, well i dont know about anyone else but it wasn't on mine.

Ah thats where i was going wrong, I was copying them straight from the bar at the top, i kept using quote to spot the difference between your links and mine and eventually I found it. Now I know and expect more of these in future events 👍

I will be hosting the usual short race practice session for the Fuji race this Sunday at 8.00pm. Has anyone got any times to post yet?

None yet, picking up friends from the airport so wont make the practice.

I'm going to need to try and chill this coming race and keep the car on the track! Loads of silly mistakes lost me a few places in that race.

Luckily others were also making them so it evened out!

Goodwolf
👍

I liked your report very much Dowlin.

Thanks very much Goodwolf 👍

Oh and I had a quick 5 lap practice on Fuji after CORE GT practice and managed a best time of 1:46:822, I have no idea how fast that time is. :lol:

Oh and I had a quick 5 lap practice on Fuji after CORE GT practice and managed a best time of 1:46:822, I have no idea how fast that time is. :lol:

I had a couple of laps last night after Core, and was well off that pace, but I was using the same set up as Daytona, and could not find my racing line at all, and I'd had quite a few beers by then:boggled:, so that might explain it.

I had a couple of laps last night after Core, and was well off that pace, but I was using the same set up as Daytona, and could not find my racing line at all, and I'd had quite a few beers by then:boggled:, so that might explain it.

👍 I'll have a crack at it tonight. Still need to finish the pictures, practise Fuji and the new endurance track, to which you all are invited off course (but it'll probably class with SC-Practice).

For Daytona I used the same setup as Tsubakuba (minus the gearing), so curious what setup will be the base for Fuji.
Cheers

Practice proved some close racing tonight. The 5 races we had all showed improvements in time from race to race, apart from the first race which I forgot to save, so I have no recorded time for Cobani.

Heres the rest.

Fuji practice results.
COBRIUS...1:48.353
DOWLIN39...1:48.693
OMNIUS...1:49.406
ADE3210...1:50.102

Please note that these times are taken from the 4 replays that I did save, and not from any free run times that we did.

got home early today from university and did some laps on fuji. I managed a 10 lap stint with an average lap time in the 1:48.mid with the quickest of them at 1:48.flat and 1:48.2xx.

like at every track, my perfect settings feel would be achieved with "adjust accel lsd -3", but noooo...i have to play around with the suspension to compensate. So now the only thing that's bothering me about my settings is the occasional "bumpy front" feel on the dampers that i can't tune out without increasing oversteer.

The rear infield of Fuji will be really fun if 4-5 people maintain the same pace, so i can't wait 'till Sunday.

After been away from civilasation over Easter I had a couple of laps at Fuji.

Inspirered of Cobrius non-ABS driving I also disconnected the ABS (I also left the seatbelt by my side). And driving without ABS was great fun! I have some learning to do, but if its this fun further on I will disconnect it permently.

Cobrius: Thanks for the tips regarding suspension and brakebias. 👍

Lap times? Well, I did 1.50 something. Alone. There is a big difference when there is traffic... :scared:

got home early today from university and did some laps on fuji. I managed a 10 lap stint with an average lap time in the 1:48.mid with the quickest of them at 1:48.flat and 1:48.2xx.

like at every track, my perfect settings feel would be achieved with "adjust accel lsd -3", but noooo...i have to play around with the suspension to compensate. So now the only thing that's bothering me about my settings is the occasional "bumpy front" feel on the dampers that i can't tune out without increasing oversteer.

The rear infield of Fuji will be really fun if 4-5 people maintain the same pace, so i can't wait 'till Sunday.

I think it will be close, as Sundays practice showed. With some good slip streaming along the pit straight and finding the right racing lines on the corners, I am hoping for a good midfield race. Some pit entry practice here is going to be wise I think, as it can catch you out, and I dont want to have a second race with a drive through. More practice Saturday at 8.00pm.

After been away from civilasation over Easter I had a couple of laps at Fuji.

Inspirered of Cobrius non-ABS driving I also disconnected the ABS (I also left the seatbelt by my side). And driving without ABS was great fun! I have some learning to do, but if its this fun further on I will disconnect it permently.

Cobrius: Thanks for the tips regarding suspension and brakebias. 👍

Lap times? Well, I did 1.50 something. Alone. There is a big difference when there is traffic... :scared:

If you have managed a 1:50 without ABS, I salute you. Well done Rosen. I will be doing another practice on Saturday if you can make it.

I was looking for all the race reports posted and couldn't find mine ... then I realised something. :dunce:

Cobani's Race Report 5: Daytona

SC_Race5_001.jpg

Beautifull Daytona is the host of Race 5 in the Sunday Cup ...

SC_Race5_002.jpg

Decent start got overshadowed by a better one by Third_Reign ...

SC_Race5_003.jpg

One handsome looking grid right there ...

SC_Race5_004.jpg

Allready trying to find the best track position ...

SC_Race5_005.jpg

Haunted by a faster Dowlin ...

SC_Race5_006.jpg

No problems expected ...

SC_Race5_007.jpg

And we were right ...

SC_Race5_010.jpg

Third_Reign and Dowlin disappearing into the distance ...

SC_Race5_011.jpg

A lucky break for me ...

SC_Race5_012.jpg

Chasing Third in first, but alway's a few tenths shy ...

SC_Race5_013.jpg

And the first corner bit me ...

SC_Race5_014.jpg

Pitstops in the oversized pitlane ...

SC_Race5_015.jpg

Trying to get up to speed in the undersized pit exit ...

SC_Race5_016.jpg

Chasing Rosenlundaren through the busstop ...

SC_Race5_017.jpg

Staying clear of Jamesy ...

SC_Race5_018.jpg

And driving my lines picking of the laps ...

SC_Race5_019.jpg

The finish of an underwhelming race for me on a circuit I love to drive.

Third_Reign was in a class of his own and I benefited of mistakes made by faster drivers. So, all in all, very pleased with the podium!

Last edited:
Practice at Fuji got me a 48.5. Pretty happy with the lap actually, so I ended up practicing the pit entry ... not a bad idea.

Hopefully saturday's final practice will be well attended. 👍 Looking forward.

After a session at Fuji without ABS I realise that my 1.50 something lap was made with all of the luck you can have. At the best I’m consistent round 1.51-52… On the other hand it’s very funny and interesting to drive without ABS.

Just to check out the difference I did a few laps with ABS and yes, I was faster, 1.50-51. I also felt that my safety margins increased.

So how will it be on Sunday – on or off? :confused:

Maybe reality can guide me. Is the Elise (race modified) equipped with ABS?

And does ABS work in the same way as in reality?

So how will it be on Sunday – on or off? :confused:

Maybe reality can guide me. Is the Elise (race modified) equipped with ABS?

And does ABS work in the same way as in reality?

The 96 Elise did not have ABS, even in RM form, but I would stuggle to control the car under braking if I didnt have it on. I only have mine set at 1. I am not sure how this would translate to reality, but with it set to 1 I can still lock the wheels up under heavy braking.

The 96 Elise did not have ABS, even in RM form, but I would stuggle to control the car under braking if I didnt have it on.

Thanks for the answer Ade. 👍

I did the search and found this.
Some posts says that ABS in GT5 isn't the same as in reality.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134228

Well, I don't know...I like the thought of being close to reality = no ABS, but on the other hand I think I need some more time behind the wheel to get used to it. I do some more testning, then I'll see.

Hopefully I can make it on Saturday!

You other fellow drivers, what are your settings - ABS on or off?

Rosenlundaren
Thanks for the answer Ade. 👍

I did the search and found this.
Some posts says that ABS in GT5 isn't the same as in reality.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134228

Well, I don't know...I like the thought of being close to reality = no ABS, but on the other hand I think I need some more time behind the wheel to get used to it. I do some more testning, then I'll see.

Hopefully I can make it on Saturday!

You other fellow drivers, what are your settings - ABS on or off?

In my experience, with the G27 pedals, I can actually race with ABS off as the brake pedal is that stiff 'heavy' you have better control on how much pressure you're applying to it, also it helps to use No ABS in conjunction with the brake balance settings, I find with ABS on 1 my brakes are normally set to 8/8 but with ABS off I have to run with my brakes at either 2/2 or 3/3

As for realism, it does add another 'level' to your driving, in game terms for me it's like stepping up from using the flappy paddle gear change to using the clutch and H shifter. Personal choice as to how much work you want to give yourself.

I opted to stick with ABS 1 and flappy paddle gearbox for online racing as the competition is so close left foot braking is a must, you can lose half a second with every gear change using the H shifter online in my experience

The same may be said about running with no ABS as there is something else to think about along with everything else :eek:

Back