The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
It's all good guys chill out; consider this new wheel 'a moving forward in Motorsport simulation'. Plus its options, yeah it might be $500+ To get the whole package now, but it's brand new, cutting edge tech. Give it a while and the price will lower. This new wheel being endorsed by PD could see great changes in the Wheel manufacturing, with competing companys also enticed to bring something new to the market.
I personally cannot wait to see what advancements in simulation this new wheel brings!:dopey:👍
R*

Come on force feedback h shifter.

I'm so conflicted, I don't know if I should grab the Fanatec setup now or wait for this. My biggest doubts about this are that the pedal setup will most likely be inferior to the clubsport pedals and that it will not have the features that make the Fanatec a standout. That said I don't know how well the Fanatec product is working with GT5 considering it is unsupported. Going by the price Kaz tweeted it seems both will cost me about the same in Australia.

7HO
I'm so conflicted, I don't know if I should grab the Fanatec setup now or wait for this. My biggest doubts about this are that the pedal setup will most likely be inferior to the clubsport pedals and that it will not have the features that make the Fanatec a standout. That said I don't know how well the Fanatec product is working with GT5 considering it is unsupported. Going by the price Kaz tweeted it seems both will cost me about the same in Australia.

Official wheel Vs Non Official. I would wait.

7HO
Keep in mind $500 doesn't necessarily mean you will get a clutch, a shifter or that it will be a great wheel.

Here is a Thrustmaster product that retailed for $500 and I wouldn't be surprised if PD went with Thrustmaster for GT5 just to get something similar.

http://www.gamesmen.com.au/catalog/...-26968.html?osCsid=prjfocsrgc8ubbke6navm679n1

EDIT: I didn't see the latest tweets when I posted this, Kaz has confirmed clutch and optional H shifter.

I will counter this with the Amazon price of a lot better $240.

http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Wireless-F430-Scuderia-4160545/dp/B003VX1EU8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1291348098&sr=8-5

I think the wheel will retail for $200-300 US. Why? If they don't it's not going to be able to compete at with G27/Fanatec.

Where did you read the G27 was being discontinued?

It's been out of stock at many retailers and online for the past few weeks; I checked the inventory system at my job and it was classed as a discontinued item. Actually it was classed as a long discontinued item. I'm gonna assume a new wheel is in the works from Logitech too.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Being qualified by Thrustmaster and Kaz, as high end, high quality product,
we can be sure this new wheel will be a better product than the G25 / G27.
That's great news!

Yet, with this unofficially announced WTF TBD price, i no longer have the enthusiasm that i had a few days back/ago.

This price is going to be a big hurdle. I can spend it! But come ON!! GT5 remains a game after all. Certainly a fun and great game, but I also have a life outside of GTPlanet and PSN and PS3 social network.

I have my future to tend to, and i am sure many of us are not that wealthy either.

It would have been smarter from Thrustmaster to have two products, one that directly challenges and competes against the G25/G27, and this one.

But as is, i dont think i will buy it at all. I guess I will stick to my DFGT, save my money for something else, a trip to Cancun or Hawaii etc etc.

This price, What a turn OFF.

That's the reason why product like DFGT exists. And on the other end of the scale you can also buy a $2500 Frex Simwheel (not including pedal or shifter). And for the less inclined, an $20 Intec steering wheel.

I think a concept of a well built high precision FFB wheel that's still somewhat affordable is always a good thing especially the one that doesn't come with a gun pointing on my head saying "Buy Me!!!". I don't have to buy it but if I want to I'm not limited to just Logitech or Fanatec (or when and if I win the Lottery, the Frex). What's not to like?

This wheel might have new steering system based e.g. on hydraulics. Hall sensors are good and they are currently used in Fanatec wheels and clubsport pedals.

I got the standard Thrustmaster F430 FF racing wheel and it is a gorgeous wheel, solid rugged construction, and the mounting clamp kicks the heck out of the dfp or the dfgt cheap and rather flimsy mounts. And the pedals are far and away better than the logitech dfp and dfgt. Downside of the F430 FF is the lack of 600 or 900 degree rotation.

And the ferrari licensed stand one has no FF so i would pass on that also, lest for me i could not stand a driving game wo FF.

I agree that 500 is very steep for a wheel tho, i mean it better come with it's own mounting stand and a pit crew for that much.

I don't know why we are all so worked up... DFGT is the official wheel for GT5, if only de facto. Just about every development shot of PD working on GT5 I saw included a DFGT if it had a wheel at all. The GT Academy will be officially run (at the live venues) on a DFGT. Sebastien Fricken' Vettel, for Pete's sake, is shown driving the X1 on a DFGT..!:sly:

And now PD are going to change horses mid-stream?

I doubt it. Sure, they might work on a profile for it, but I doubt Kaz is going to go back and re-do the entire steering response for just one new wheel.

Sounds good 👍 For me the "high" price is a clue that it could be a quality product, if not then I'll just leave it. I don't mind any price if I feel I'm getting value for the money.

I was really surprised by the pricing and I am really looking forward to it. The chances for me ever trying it out are quite slim, but I would really like to know how it will compare to Logitechs and Fanatecs.
Thrustmaster has been in the business from the very beginning (together with Logitech and Microsoft) and even though they have been producing wheels since then, they never really succeeded in making a product that would stand out like some others did (Logitechs mostly) and maybe time for them to make a great wheel has finally come. For 500$ it has to be great, or it will be forever forgotten.
This certainly looks to be a niche product at the moment, but people are spending more and more money on sim racing hardware and it would be no surprise to me if people who are buying 300$ Fanatecs and Logitechs at the moment, will be buying 500$ wheels in 2 years. That would open a new market and we certainly can expect more "premium" wheels to come out (Fanatec "clubsport" wheel for example, maybe Logitech also has something up its sleeve?).

EDIT: Oh and it has to be PC compatible, very few would buy an expensive wheel only for PS3. We gotta be realistic, the best sims are still on PC ;)

Last edited:
thrustmaster500volante-1.jpg

pedales500_g.jpg

500_volante.jpg

http://www.planetadejuego.com/t500-rs-thrustmaster-el-volante-oficial-de-gran-turismo-5

Main specs:

*1080º
*About 500€ official prize (not confirmed)
*30cm diameter
*7kg weight
*Industrial FF (Par 150 mNm, 3000 rpm, 65 W, 52mm)

I can´t read nothing about H shifter, but I´ve read something about we´ll have that possibility.

Last edited:
:drool:Oh my, looks like this is an option then!

So happy to see proper pedals, I always wanted to do the conversion on my G25 ones when I had them. Also it seems you can switch them depending on your preference.

And paddles not attached to the wheel! I think this is already going to be the one I get, just need a release date.:drool:

Last edited:
No way! It's gorgeous.
Now I wonder how it could be fixed to the wheelstand pro...

EDIT: where's the shifter?
EDIT2: 500 euros?? Ok. No. I got better things to do with my money.

Last edited:
Back