The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Take a look a few posts back - just few days ago I was exactly in the same situation as You. Seeing my T500RS and versions markings being on the stickers ("V4" stickers placed on some older "V" stickers), it really could be just firmware and/or regional differences.
Just buy it.

Stickers on top of stickers on the actual wheel and pedal itself or just the box?

My bet is that Thrustmaster do NOT release a new wheel for the PS4. Firstly, there isn't much to improve on with the T500RS...it is still one of the finest wheel/pedal sets with little new competition. The button layout does not need to change for the PS4. Of course for the PC it remains fine too.

Also, Thrustmaster have just released a new add-on wheel. I doubt they would do that for a wheel they were planning to discontinue soon. I think its just a driver issue and they want to make sure they have no problems with the PS4 before finalizing their decision.

There is also an official load cell brake mod coming from Thrustmaster....but it seems to have been delayed for now. There were pictures but the news on this seems to have dried up. Once again it doesn't point to a company about to replace it with something new!

Of course none of us know the future...this is just my guess (and hope).

As the official Thrustmaster load cell mod shows no sign of arriving, I will probably reach out to Mr Bodin for his (although his site always shows out of stock for it).

Is it me or does the wheel on this motion rig look like the same wheel that was used for the forza 5 demo? In the description he calls it a t500, its not the same t500 that me or you can buy. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Force-Dyn...568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac715e438

Pretty sure he's just using stock photos there. He even mentioned he swapped out the original wheel for a T500, so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Saw this a while ago and initially thought the same thing;)

Yeah the first pic has the original wheel, but in the later pics it shows his setup with whats clearly a t500 rim with what looks to be the same prototype wheelbase used to demo forza 5 with the new Thrustmaster xbox wheel.

My bet is that Thrustmaster do NOT release a new wheel for the PS4. Firstly, there isn't much to improve on with the T500RS...it is still one of the finest wheel/pedal sets with little new competition. The button layout does not need to change for the PS4.

I agree; there really is no need for a new TM wheel, for the PS4.

Last edited:
Hi

I've seen people modify their wheels with of the shelf products which has a Leo Bondar rev and gear readout which is integrated into the wheel with some housing.

I'm not afraid of a bit of soldering as long as there are instructions to follow but where can I get all the bits and bobs to do the modification please, including a housing/bezel to put all the stuff in?

Thanks

Edit - ALso how easy is it to install it into the F1 rim wheel?

Last edited:
Yeah the first pic has the original wheel, but in the later pics it shows his setup with whats clearly a t500 rim with what looks to be the same prototype wheelbase used to demo forza 5 with the new Thrustmaster xbox wheel.

Yeah. I immediately noticed that after I posted, but since I was on probation, my post had to be mod viewed first. Couldn't quickly go in and edit it.

It does look suspiciously like the Thrustmaster revision.

Went through the schematics yesterday hoping to find an easy way to make my own box housing (with some plexiglass to see the belt in action). But it seems more difficult than I thought.

Why do people still go on about the version numbers of their T00RS ? I swear lads about a quarter of the posts on this thread lately are people regurgitating version numbers conversations that have been done to death at this stage,for the record my brother and I have had T500s since launch and neither of us has ever had a single issue with either of them.If you want to keep the version number debate going please create a new post for it as it brings nothing new to this thread !
( sorry but version number posts are putting me off reading this usually informative thread )

Okay then...it does indeed sound more like region than version. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to change the stickers on the pedals and wheelbase itself!

I'm pretty sure I've seen US wheels that have the "V2" version on the box, unless NA is both V1 and V2 I don't think region is right... I wish TM was more forthcoming about this issue.

My guess is with all the hoopla that has surrounded this version issue Thrustmaster wont make making version # available to the public again. There are people who have returned numerous wheels trying for the magical v.5 wheel.

There are people who have returned numerous wheels trying for the magical v.5 wheel.

I hate to admit it, but I was one of these people. (well that or a V4)

Don't bother, it's not worth the headache. Not for you or the vendors. I ended up with a V2 which has performed excellently with one exception: The fan makes noise sometimes and I need to get a new one from Thrustmaster. Just haven't gotten around to it. The new wheels (versions) don't have a different fan.

My V1's only got the fan issue, too.

I don't remember, but isn't there some difference between the version, internally?

My V1's only got the fan issue, too.

I don't remember, but isn't there some difference between the version, internally?

Not that anyone has really been able to confirm. The only real confirmation was pedal spring variations. I've had V1 through V3 and none felt or looked any different, including the base itself. :)

I seem to recall someone here mentioning that higher V numbers have better paddle shifters microswitches. More durable or something like that, but I don't know if it has been widely confirmed.

John Bodin is going to have some 10 million cycle switches you can purchase as replacements... ;) Soon.

Not that anyone has really been able to confirm. The only real confirmation was pedal spring variations. I've had V1 through V3 and none felt or looked any different, including the base itself. :)

Ahh, yes, that was the difference I remembered.

I seem to recall someone here mentioning that higher V numbers have better paddle shifters microswitches. More durable or something like that, but I don't know if it has been widely confirmed.

Pretty sure that was pedal springs, not paddle switches.

The V1 (and V2?) versions definitely had wound torsion springs mounted at the pivot point of the pedals, while the later versions (beyond V2 I believe) have compression-type springs UNDER the pedals.

John Boden.
You are entirely correct. After I had broken the left shifter twice they sent me compression-type springs!!

Hello everyone,

I just want to share my latest T500 mod with you - the standard GT wheel in BMW M style!

After I "dismissed" the standard GT wheel and opted for an OMP Superturismo and a custom button plate from Sam Maxwell (link) I thought there must be a reasonable use for the standard one as well.

I had upholstered a road car wheel some years ago and I thought it could be a good idea again. First I thought of Alcantara only, but combinded with John Bodin´s wheel center more BMW style would be even better - I am a big fan of the M3 E30, 635CSi, 320 Group 5...

Then the M style stiching came to my mind and finally the center marking in M colours (in the old-school style, the Z4 GT3 wears them in white, red and blue I guess).

Cost for the upholstering was appr 135 euro in total - I think it was worth it!

Foto%2008.08.13%2011%2009%2049.jpg

Foto%2008.08.13%2011%2008%2058.jpg

I hate to admit it, but I was one of these people. (well that or a V4)

Don't bother, it's not worth the headache. Not for you or the vendors. I ended up with a V2 which has performed excellently with one exception: The fan makes noise sometimes and I need to get a new one from Thrustmaster. Just haven't gotten around to it. The new wheels (versions) don't have a different fan.

Mr B

Do you still have the config manager for the wheel please? I formatted my PC and forgot to retain the .exe and the link where to get it from no longer works.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I just want to share my latest T500 mod with you - the standard GT wheel in BMW M style!

After I "dismissed" the standard GT wheel and opted for an OMP Superturismo and a custom button plate from Sam Maxwell (link) I thought there must be a reasonable use for the standard one as well.

I had upholstered a road car wheel some years ago and I thought it could be a good idea again. First I thought of Alcantara only, but combinded with John Bodin´s wheel center more BMW style would be even better - I am a big fan of the M3 E30, 635CSi, 320 Group 5...

Then the M style stiching came to my mind and finally the center marking in M colours (in the old-school style, the Z4 GT3 wears them in white, red and blue I guess).

Awesome! 👍👍

Hey there,

just another fan replacement since I was tired of this friggin tedious noise from the original fan. At first I saw this post on page 239 with 3 small fans. I thought it could be improved though :) Nevertheless thanks for the guide, it was very helpful!

And after some hours of work, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome ;)

Fan used: http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/260

It runs at 12V @ 1000 rpm and is very quiet! Cuz I couldn't solder it to the circuit board I used an external power adapter.
After an hour of playing the engine was like 30 ish degrees celsius warm.

here are some pictures:

The original vs. the new fan

had to modify the fan as well

some holes for the airflow

this is the result

the hole for the external power adapter on the very left-hand side

If u have any questions just leave a comment ;)

cheers
Mahoney

Hello everyone,

That wheel is GORGEOUS!

👍

Back