The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
It looks very good, but the price's certainly steep :eek:. Though, quality cost nowadays...

Just to put it into perspective, it's cheaper than something like a Momo Mod 27d, which retails for around $225 (at least!), and you would still need to buy a wheel adapter from Derek Speare, which adds about another $50 or so.

Hey there,

just another fan replacement since I was tired of this friggin tedious noise from the original fan. At first I saw this post on page 239 with 3 small fans. I thought it could be improved though :) Nevertheless thanks for the guide, it was very helpful!

And after some hours of work, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome ;)

Fan used: http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/260

It runs at 12V @ 1000 rpm and is very quiet! Cuz I couldn't solder it to the circuit board I used an external power adapter.
After an hour of playing the engine was like 30 ish degrees celsius warm.

here are some pictures:

If u have any questions just leave a comment ;)

cheers
Mahoney

WOW! Nice work blending the fan into the cover! Did you give any thought to a filter/grill to cover the moving fan blades? That would have been something to consider to keep little fingers out, or to keep stuff from getting dropped inside the wheel on accident.

Otherwise, EXCELLENT work!

👍

Just to put it into perspective, it's cheaper than something like a Momo Mod 27d, which retails for around $225 (at least!), and you would still need to buy a wheel adapter from Derek Speare, which adds about another $50 or so.

Really :eek:? Wow. Though, I guess that's a quality product too, or?

Kudos to fastbeat and Mahoney for their rim and fan mods. Two of the most well done T500 mods I've seen yet!

Hey there,

just another fan replacement since I was tired of this friggin tedious noise from the original fan. At first I saw this post on page 239 with 3 small fans. I thought it could be improved though :) Nevertheless thanks for the guide, it was very helpful!

If u have any questions just leave a comment ;)

cheers
Mahoney

Nice work man, was thinking along this lines awhile ago, just wondering as you have used it as a replacement for the original fan why you just didn't connect to the the original pins on the board? Also do you have the fan blowing or extracting from the case?

Hi@all
sorry for my english, is not fluent.. i want to show a little project made by myself last winter. The main goal was to have a real stronger brake because the original was too soft. Second goal was not lose the warranty, so i try to build a system not require new drill holes. I simply build a iron plaque with a screw tree support two oil damper. I think can be made better, hope the idea can inspire someone.

Original post (in italian) at http://www.simracing.biz/2013/02/hw-t500rs-rcdamper-mod.html

rcdamper_06.jpg

rcdamper_05.jpg

Nice work man, was thinking along this lines awhile ago, just wondering as you have used it as a replacement for the original fan why you just didn't connect to the the original pins on the board? Also do you have the fan blowing or extracting from the case?

Hey there,

yeah that was my first thought as well. I bought an adapter because the original fan had 2 pins and the new one 3. So now big deal - I assumed.
Dunno why, but unfortunately it didn't work out... would have been a lot easier of course.

The fan is blowing the cool air onto the engine - much more efficient in my mind.

@Germinator: they look pretty amazing :D maybe I'll add one of these bad boys at some point ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there,

I had material sitting around for weeks and you inspired me to finally shred whatever chance I had at warranty service.

I too was inspired by those page 239 posts and originally replaced the junk fan with a better 40mm fan and then added a second 40mm fan blowing onto the circuit board. I had a third 40mm fan that was placed on the top and blew into those holes. This was done after I had some heat issues that caused the circuit board to flake out a couple times. That and I was losing performance when it was warm. So I figured I'd better act or I would need the warranty service on a fried circuit board.

But I've been thinking about a 120mm fan on top for months now. Was originally gonna have some nice plexiglass windows showing the fan, etc. But I couldn't work out how I'd accomplish these things. So I did what anyone would do:idea: I dremmeled first and asked questions second. I mean, when you've got a big hole in your case, delicate planning goes out the window and necessity takes over.

I had a 120mm Yate Loon fan lying in a box. And same with the grill cover. And I'd bought a sheet of plexiglass a number of weeks ago. Now I just had to find a way to not be horrible.

Unfortunately, better pre-planning would have yielded superior results. But if that was the case, I never would have started. So here's what I ended up with:

1n9ZugO.jpg

klYqrok.jpg

The plexiglass in front allows some viewing, but obviously not a whole lot. The tie on the front right was because I assumed the motor was underneath and didn't want a big knot sitting on it. Oops. I also had no intention of posting the pictures. So I didn't care about it being all ugly.

So why post? Because I'm blown away by how great the performance is. It's a medium speed Yate Loon. Which means it's not silent. But neither is my creaky Ferrari wheel or GPU. It's the least of the noise problems. But this baby blows cool out out of every hole on the case. And played for 1.5 hours last night with strong feedback and not only was there zero performance degradation in the FFB, but the vent on the right never registered any warmth. It'd get hot to the touch with my old setups.

The 120mm fan is just connected to a wall wart. Why? Since my previous fans ran off the wheel board? Because this way I can immediately turn the wheel off and just let the fan run. Previous Kill-A-Watt test (I think these are accurate) showed my wheel peaked at around 50 watts and averaged around 25 watts when racing. When not racing and just sitting idle, it was still drawing 12.5 watts. I figured it would cool down better if it was drawing zero watts when the fan was blowing on it. Of course, it really doesn't heat up under the current conditions, so maybe it wasn't required after all. I errored on the side of caution because my fans never shut down with previous configs.

My solution for the fan problem on the T500 and also for driver ventilation was to install a variable speed control 4" blower (230 cfm) with ventilation hoses running to the side for driver ventilation and directly to the T500 for added ventilation into the unit.

The 4" blower creates quite a bit of air, normally I only have it running at about 1/4 speed, sometimes at 1/2 speed (I've never had to run it wide open).

wheel_cooling.jpg

Driver ventilation - I have this setup to use a couple of different vent outlets or none at all.

Directional outlet

dvs_vent.jpg

Open outlet

dvs6.jpg

Here's the ducting (this is still a work in progress).

dvs_ducting.jpg

dvs8.jpg

Variable speed control switch is on the side of the T500 (the vent to the T500 is not yet install in this photo).

dvs1.jpg

So far this seems to be working, it definitely keeps me cool while driving (the three 40" monitors heat up the cockpit pretty quick). I even have the option to connect the ventilation tubes to a portable A/C unit I have in the room if I ever need things to really be cool.

Last edited:
That's a brilliant idea Neo, I've the same problem with my triple 32". They along with the 6 amps, 3 ps3 make my small sim room very hot. The noise from the surround sound and bass shakers means keeping windows shut so as not to annoy the neighbours a block away lol.
I've tried the redneck water cooler aircon solution but it doesn't cut it.
But this looks like a great idea

That's a brilliant idea Neo, I've the same problem with my triple 32". They along with the 6 amps, 3 ps3 make my small sim room very hot. The noise from the surround sound and bass shakers means keeping windows shut so as not to annoy the neighbours a block away lol.
I've tried the redneck water cooler aircon solution but it doesn't cut it.
But this looks like a great idea

Carson79, works like a charm. It's amazing how well the fan cools off the cockpit area, plus the added benefit of cooling my T500. As i said I usually run the fan at 1/4 to 1/2 speed and that keeps me cool and comfortable. Without the fan running the cockpit area gets extremely warm to hot quickly, very uncomfortable. I call it my 'Driver Ventilation System (DVS).

Carson79, works like a charm. It's amazing how well the fan cools off the cockpit area, plus the added benefit of cooling my T500. As i said I usually run the fan at 1/4 to 1/2 speed and that keeps me cool and comfortable. Without the fan running the cockpit area gets extremely warm to hot quickly, very uncomfortable. I call it my 'Driver Ventilation System (DVS).

Most impressed by your DVS :D, especially the duct direct into the wheel. 👍
Right now I prefer heating (winter here) over cooling but come summer, this setup will be great.

How are you powering the blower? Is it a bilge blower? I like the DVS acronym :)
Definitely a project I will be thinking about soon 👍

Ok, I've moved the duct over to the left side since the right side holes are partially blocked by the heat sink should provide better air flow.

FYI, for people who have been looking for permanent replacement paddle shifter switches for the fixed paddles on the T500 base and/or the F1 wheel, Basherboards and Bodin Solutions are proud to offer you the BSW-T500-F1 switches for the Thrustmaster T500 F1 wheel, and the BSW-T500-B switches for the fixed paddle shifters on the T500RS base.

These switches replace the stock switches for the built-in paddle shifters for the T500 F1 wheel or the fixed shifters on the T500RS base, and they are rated at 10 million cycles, which means they should last the life of your wheel, making this a more durable replacement than the stock switches provided by Thrustmaster as warranty replacements. These switches should be lifetime replacements, even for the most demanding drivers.

These BSW-T500-B and BSW-T500-F1 switches will be $19.50 per pair, meaning you will get a complete set of two (2) replacement switches (one for the left paddle, and one for the right paddle). Shipping will be $2 for U.S. customers, or $6 for international customers.

BSW-T500-F1b_zps7a8610a4.jpg

BSW-T500-Bb_zpsbd0289c5.jpg

Note: This includes the switches only -- you will need to re-use the springs and foam inserts from your existing switch assemblies, so make sure you don't lose them during replacement.

Check out the Bodin Solutions Website for more details -- units are in stock now for immediate delivery.

:cool:

Last edited:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/n...al-partner-sony-computer-entertainment-europe
Following the success of its licensed products for the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita, Thrustmaster announces its official partnership with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe for the recently announced PlayStation®4.
Rennes, August 19, 2013 — Following the success of its licensed products for the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita), Thrustmaster announces its official partnership with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) for the recently announced PlayStation®4 (PS4).

Continuing a powerful partnership

With the PS4 releasing this holiday season, Guillemot Corporation S.A. has confirmed the continuation of its partnership with SCEE and has announced the launch of officially-licensed accessories under the Thrustmaster brand for PS4.

“We are proud that SCEE has chosen us to develop products for the PlayStation®4. After meeting the challenges we were set for the Playstation®3, our R&D teams are pulling out all the stops to design accessories that can exploit the full potential of this console to satisfy gamers’ desires for performance and realism,” says Agnès Cornière, International Marketing Director at Guillemot Corporation S.A.

Judy Ward, Peripherals Business Manager at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited agrees, explaining that: “Over the last few years, we have built a partnership with Thrustmaster that is gathering pace. Joining forces once again with this new console is the logical next step for the excellent cooperation between us.”

Products soon to be unveiled

Thrustmaster will soon be revealing the details of the different products covered by this license agreement.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/n...al-partner-sony-computer-entertainment-europe
Following the success of its licensed products for the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita, Thrustmaster announces its official partnership with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe for the recently announced PlayStation®4.
Rennes, August 19, 2013 — Following the success of its licensed products for the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita), Thrustmaster announces its official partnership with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) for the recently announced PlayStation®4 (PS4).

Continuing a powerful partnership

With the PS4 releasing this holiday season, Guillemot Corporation S.A. has confirmed the continuation of its partnership with SCEE and has announced the launch of officially-licensed accessories under the Thrustmaster brand for PS4.

“We are proud that SCEE has chosen us to develop products for the PlayStation®4. After meeting the challenges we were set for the Playstation®3, our R&D teams are pulling out all the stops to design accessories that can exploit the full potential of this console to satisfy gamers’ desires for performance and realism,” says Agnès Cornière, International Marketing Director at Guillemot Corporation S.A.

Judy Ward, Peripherals Business Manager at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited agrees, explaining that: “Over the last few years, we have built a partnership with Thrustmaster that is gathering pace. Joining forces once again with this new console is the logical next step for the excellent cooperation between us.”

Products soon to be unveiled

Thrustmaster will soon be revealing the details of the different products covered by this license agreement.

Awesome news!

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/ac...cing-wheel-458-italia-edition-xbox-one/111431

There's the "T500" version for the Xbox One. Retails for 399.99.

Don´t get too high expectations, every single steering wheel targeted at the Xbox audience have been crap, with only exception of Fanatecs CSR Elite wheel but even that one had problems, people seemed very disappointed with the quality of the stock rim.

It would not surprise me if It´s very cheaply made and have no force feedback at all. :grumpy:

Don´t get too high expectations, every single steering wheel targeted at the Xbox audience have been crap, with only exception of Fanatecs CSR Elite wheel but even that one had problems, people seemed very disappointed with the quality of the stock rim.

It would not surprise me if It´s very cheaply made and have no force feedback at all. :grumpy:

I've seen a bigger picture of it. It really does seem like a slightly modified T500 base with a custom wheel for the Xbox. But, if E3 was any indication, the pedals may be a trainwreck (they were cheap plastic). If they were using a different motor in it, I don't see why they'd keep such a similar base in terms of layout.

Paul,

Do you have other info on the pedals? I don't remember seeing anything close enough and good enough quality to see if they were indeed different/plastic.

No. Maybe it's just stupid speculation on my part. But that video that someone posted here certainly gave a bad first impression. And it'd be an easy way to chop a lot of the expenses off it (and be able to hit the 399.99 price point).

It's not stupid. I was just curious if you had info that I didn't. :) I wouldn't be surprised if those were some kind of "demo pedals" just like the wheel was, in order to help protect their intellectual property until release.

Paul,

Do you have other info on the pedals? I don't remember seeing anything close enough and good enough quality to see if they were indeed different/plastic.

Developed in close collaboration with Microsoft, this 7:10 scale replica of the emblematic Ferrari 458 Italia wheel is fully dedicated to Xbox One, including Binder ID and Xbox One Guide button. Designed for true racers, it features metal gas and brake pedals, and gear sequential paddle shifters. This new generation wheel will deliver unrivalled feelings in Forza Motorsport 5 and future racing games on Xbox one: Racing sensations at a level never seen before.

Seems to come with metal pedals, no mention of clutch or add on gate shifter though.

Back