The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
I've always thought that the 458GTE rim is less solidly connected to the wheel shaft and that's why it feels less notchy and seems to damp some of the very tiny forces as compared to the GT rim. How solid would you say your DSD and Momo rim's connection is?

Happy New Year Thrustmaster owners!

I recently discovered you can alter rotational degree locks, prior race starts, in game. (Dpad, + Mode button),
there's a youtube vid describing this.

have any of you tried this in GT6 , and is it necessary?

Very happy with my wheel & Wheelstand pro, going strong after 6 months, and a paddle shift switch change, and refastening of a center cap screw that mysteriously unscrewed itself and dropped to the floor few weeks into using it.

I'm about to buy a T500RS, haven't decided on the set-up yet, I've skimmed through the thread, but at 280+ pages I was wondering what the top tips would be for the wheel, rig/set-up, settings, etc. are...

It was GT2 since I last used a wheel, I'm sure things have changed a lot, I'm just uneasy about dropping £450+ on an accessory I might fall out of love with very quickly! I'm teetering on the brink of becoming a casual gamer at best.. and I'm hoping that this will inject the passion back in to my relationship with Gran Turismo!

I had planned that I'd probably make my own playseat/wheel stand. My sofa isn't the greatest thing for anything other than laying on... so...

Tips, ideas, advice welcome.

Happy New Year Thrustmaster owners!

I recently discovered you can alter rotational degree locks, prior race starts, in game. (Dpad, + Mode button),
there's a youtube vid describing this.

have any of you tried this in GT6 , and is it necessary?
Yes, it works perfectly in GT6. Necessary? That really depends on you, I switch between 900 and 1080 depending on the car...anything less than that I find it twitchy

I am fairly confident now, having run both my CSW and my T500RS in GT6 extensively, that GT6 is optimized for us with the T500RS. That is no surprise, since the T500RS is the official wheel of Gran Turismo.

I am fairly confident now, having run both my CSW and my T500RS in GT6 extensively, that GT6 is optimized for us with the T500RS. That is no surprise, since the T500RS is the official wheel of Gran Turismo.

I posted this a few months back on page 317 of the Fanatec Announcements: Updated OP thread.

It might have something to do with your observations...:sly:

From the Developer Interview section of the SimHQ Motorsports E3 2013 Recap: Part 1 - GranTurismo 6

When asked about supported wheels, Taku (Taku Imasaki, the North American Producer for Sony and GT6) listed off the usual suspects from Logitech and Thrustmaster. When asked about Fanatec wheels, Taku reminded us that sadly Fanatec doesn't have an SDK, so that company's wheels are interpreted by the game in a generic manner similar to a game pad. Fanatec wheels will work, but not as well as they could if specifically tailored to the game.

I posted this a few months back on page 317 of the Fanatec Announcements: Updated OP thread.

It might have something to do with your observations...:sly:

From the Developer Interview section of the SimHQ Motorsports E3 2013 Recap: Part 1 - GranTurismo 6

To be fair, the CSW does do GT6 quite well. Its just that the T500RS FFB and physics are slightly smoother and sharper. For example, I can feel the the curbs and bumps better with the T500 than the CSW.

To be fair, the CSW does do GT6 quite well. Its just that the T500RS FFB and physics are slightly smoother and sharper. For example, I can feel the the curbs and bumps better with the T500 than the CSW.

When I migrated to the T500 from Fanatec wheels...
I was surprised to find there were 15+ effects/vibration tests in its Windows utility.
I only recall two tests for Fanatec wheels I previously owned (GT2/GT3/CSR/CSRE/CSW).

Last edited:
I'm sure this is well covered in here (and maybe on other threads), but what is the best way to lock the release mechanism on the wheel? The one I have at work comes loose ALL the time (clients push and pull way too much on it). I have replaced the stock wood screw with a slightly longer one, but I still have to loosen it every now and then to tighten the large locking nut and then re-tighten the screw.

Also, what is folks experience with the DSD adapter? I've ordered one (the large threaded one) and was wondering if it was as susceptable to the loosening as the original.

/\/\/\

Hmm. To me the bigger problem is the four screws on the inside. That's what causes my steering column wobble. And tightening those screws doesn't last very long.

My next mod is to replace those 4 M3 screws with 16mm ones and attach a little Vibra tite to them. Looking at another forum, it seems like people have had long term success with this method (and it's not as involved as the more exotic method of boring out longer threads.)

/\/\/\

Hmm. To me the bigger problem is the four screws on the inside. That's what causes my steering column wobble. And tightening those screws doesn't last very long.

My next mod is to replace those 4 M3 screws with 16mm ones and attach a little Vibra tite to them. Looking at another forum, it seems like people have had long term success with this method (and it's not as involved as the more exotic method of boring out longer threads.)

This works very well. Don't bother with tapping the holes deeper. Just do exactly what you said. Mine were so loose that I had to retighten after each session. I finally did this and have never had to touch them again.

As for pilmat's situation... Not sure what to do there... I don't even use the screw to hold the collar in place on mine. Maybe put another hole in the collar on the opposite side and put another screw in there? :)

Well, just bit the bullet and ordered a T500RS. Now.. what to do about a rig/playseat... :boggled:
Congratulations on your new wheel then. :cheers:

If you're running low on money, you could build your own rig. I know I would if I had the space. :)

Well here in Canada, I can't find anyone with the T500 in stock and priced at MSRP ($599). Anyone who would sell it at a normal price is out of stock and anyone with it in stock is asking over $700.00.... a complete rip. Anyone know if there is a supply issue, or have any sugestions?

Well here in Canada, I can't find anyone with the T500 in stock and priced at MSRP ($599). Anyone who would sell it at a normal price is out of stock and anyone with it in stock is asking over $700.00.... a complete rip. Anyone know if there is a supply issue, or have any sugestions?

I feel your pain, but keep in mind there is probably heightened demand for the T500RS, since GT6 released less than a month ago. I would expect demand to ease and supplies to increase over the coming months.

If you don't need a wheel for PS3, and if PC sim racing is the priority, the Thrustmaster TX with GTE rim is an excellent option, although the included pedals are inferior to the pedals that come with the T500RS.

I feel your pain, but keep in mind there is probably heightened demand for the T500RS, since GT6 released less than a month ago. I would expect demand to ease and supplies to increase over the coming months.

If you don't need a wheel for PS3, and if PC sim racing is the priority, the Thrustmaster TX with GTE rim is an excellent option, although the included pedals are inferior to the pedals that come with the T500RS.

Is there something new coming? And that's why the shortage?

I got mine from Amazon. £440 inc. delivery, I've no idea if that's cheap or expensive, but seemed about average for this part of the world. Ordered it today, I'll get it Monday. Money wasn't so much the issue... if I get along with it! If it's not worth it at £440, it wouldn't have been worth it at £150. As for the rig, I'm probably going to build my own, I can get a seat from a Scooby or an MR2 for the price of a pint of beer, and I'll construct the frame to suit from mild steel box section. Space isn't the issue, but (unlike with the wheel) I'm not about to go spending a lot of money for something that isn't worth it - so long as it's sturdy, and fits me, I'm happy. Honestly I could spend £500 on a ready made rig, but, I'm expecting to be able to make one for not much more than a 10th of that.

I think last month a bunch of them were on eBay around $450 because of the Micro Center f-up with selling the wheel at $200 or something...I didn't get the $200 wheel but I bought at $450 shipped and I am very happy with it...

I checked again today and nothing is left at the price...so I sorta glad I bought it when I did....

I just ordered the GTE wheel and it should be here today, I guess I'll have to take a look at what the deal is with the collar coming loose..

I am not in a huge rush, so I guess I will wait for the demand to drop. Still have my csr, although now that I am no longer console racing, I was hoping to "step it up a notch" with a better wheel. Would love if they ever sold it à la carte as I plan on using my CSP. :P

I think last month a bunch of them were on eBay around $450 because of the Micro Center f-up with selling the wheel at $200 or something...I didn't get the $200 wheel but I bought at $450 shipped and I am very happy with it...

I checked again today and nothing is left at the price...so I sorta glad I bought it when I did....

I just ordered the GTE wheel and it should be here today, I guess I'll have to take a look at what the deal is with the collar coming loose..
That was not a mistake. That was micro center getting rid of the T500 to make room for the TX. I am luck and live 5 miles from one and was there yesterday and noticed 25 yes I said 25 tx wheels on the floor in the gaming section. The TX has replaced the T500 as the common high end TM wheel. So if one was looking for a TX Micro Center is a good place to start

i don't think the TX has replaced the t500 considering the tx doesn't work on ps3/4. Although that might be microcenter's decision. I wish we had a microcenter.

For $400 though, the stuff that came with the TX wheel is not remotely comparable to T500 though....

I have both the TX and T500RS. The TX with the GTE rim is comparable to the T500RS. The FFB is similarly powerful, smooth and diverse with both wheels. The FFB with the TX on Xbox One in Forza 5 is smoother than the FFB on the T500 on PS3 in GT6. I believe that is because the T500 has some cogging, whereas the TX has none. The stock rim that comes with the TX sucks. It is cheap, light plastic. The stock rim that comes with the T500RS is excellent, but it has no paddle shifters.

I meant micro centers choice to sell the TX. Why would you not switch over to a current new gen system versus a now dead in a sense old system. That is why they had the fire sale that they did. Rumor is and I use that word very lightly that the TX is going to get PS4 drivers in the future........... Again a very lightly stated rumor at this point

Back