The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,574 comments
Interesting that our experience is so different. That 25:31 race was with FM1 whole way through. One of the things Tokyo has taught me is to really keep the momentum going. So around the corners smoothly, always with a higher gear than I instinctively would (sometimes even two higher), absolutely no extra time on the brakes. So I drive through the mid section basically without gear change, with more of a tap on the brakes to settle the car on the right trajectory than actually scrubbing off speed. Not slow in, fast out, but rather keep it going, blip and flick the front to the optimum line, then early on back on the throttle because the higher gear won't let it get out of hand. Almost feels like a daily commute from time to time, but it's amazing how this super conservative style can be faster than (my own) time trial push to the limit. Case in point: just did my daily with F12 Berlinetta, decided mid way through to go for no stop, so eventually drove the whole lap on 7th gear with the only exceptions being T1-T2 (5th) and the hairpin (4th gear). Even then, I was only 1.2 seconds slower on a lap than my fastest lap while actually racing.

Back to the S1, that tail happiness on braking I agree on, especially over the little crest betweeen T8 and T9 if you're on the brakes going over it. I just adjusted to it rather than tuned it out. Most of my braking is so soft that the tail doesn't get upset, and sometimes I use that tendency to flick it more aggressively around the hairpin and power slide out like a rally car is supposed to be driven :lol:

Also, I put the replay of that 25:31 on open share, can be found in showcase with #tokyonoglitch.

PS. Funnily enough, the other car I've been tailoring for Tokyo lately is the 959! Not completely satisfied with the tune yet, but the car I like a lot. Down to 26:20 race time at the moment (1 stop).
I ran your Quattro S1 Pike's Peak tune and got nearly the identical time, 25:30.7xx. Really a great tune and easy to handle and throw around the track. No issue at all getting the CRB.

I ran FM2 for laps 1-6 and FM1 for laps 7-12, and finished on 0% fuel :) But I did change the gearing slightly, and as discussed a lot depends on how much downshifting, how high you rev, etc. Totally agree on the braking.

Not sure how large your "middle section" is, but with my gearing I shift into 5th going into T3, down to 4th for T5 (3rd in early laps when it's wet), then ride 4th all the way until T10 where I'm back down to 3rd for T10/T11

Tried the Audi again and was 1/2 of a second faster overall. 25:59.477. I had plenty of fuel using the 4th/6th gear strategy on FM1. I just couldnt get my corner entries right. Lots of bumping in to walls and scrubbing off too much speed mid corner to correct for it. I'll have to try this fuel saving method with other cars and see if it makes any difference in my race times.

Last edited:
I ran your Quattro S1 Pike's Peak tune and got nearly the identical time, 25:30.7xx. Really a great tune and easy to handle and throw around the track. No issue at all getting the CRB.

I ran FM2 for laps 1-6 and FM1 for laps 7-12, and finished on 0% fuel :) But I did change the gearing slightly, and as discussed a lot depends on how much downshifting, how high you rev, etc. Totally agree on the braking.

Not sure how large your "middle section" is, but with my gearing I shift into 5th going into T3, down to 4th for T5 (3rd in early laps when it's wet), then ride 4th all the way until T10 where I'm back down to 3rd for T10/T11
Through T5-T6 I sometimes shift down to 4th, though even those technically can be taken on 5th with the gearing I'm using. Initially shifted to 4th for T10 but have now let that go as well. Other than that, 100% on 5th from before T3 to the hairpin. This is a big factor in how I tune for this race and why I always choose to take full custom manual gearbox. The slow gear change doesn't penalize me practically at all, and can give room for quite a significant weight loss or power gain. Though with this car I always use H shifter and clutch anyways, so even less of a factor.

Through T5-T6 I sometimes shift down to 4th, though even those technically can be taken on 5th with the gearing I'm using. Initially shifted to 4th for T10 but have now let that go as well. Other than that, 100% on 5th from before T3 to the hairpin. This is a big factor in how I tune for this race and why I always choose to take full custom manual gearbox. The slow gear change doesn't penalize me practically at all, and can give room for quite a significant weight loss or power gain. Though with this car I always use H shifter and clutch anyways, so even less of a factor.
I found the same thing with Manual custom trans. vs Racing custom trans. on Tokyo. The add'l power is the dominating factor and results in lower race times in general.

I'd be very interested to know what your gearing is on the Quattro to see how it compares to mine if I use your shifting strategy with those gearing.

Ran the Veyron again and improved on my time. 26:09.426 with a fastest lap of 2:06.512. FM1 with high gears the whole way, pit after lap 7, no tire change. 25's may be possible. Maybe a slight suspension change could give a touch better grip through turns 3, 4, 9 and 10.

Then ran the RA272 at 26:29.341. Fastest lap of 2:09.768. No stop, of course.

I recently unlocked the Ford Gt engine swap for the Focus RS and tried it for this race. Running on Sport Hards and fuel mix 1 , you can do the race without pitting for fuel .

Very close race with the Merc. 300 SEL AMG '71. Ran a 27:35.061 and beat Kokubun by 1/10th of a second. Unfortunately no clean race bonus as I brushed up against him in the chicane on the last lap. Overall a good race. Nice handling car even with stock suspension settings. Fastest lap was in the high 2:11's.

Ran again with the WRX Gr.B road car. 26:48.885. 2:08.702 fastest lap. The car could be a couple seconds faster per lap but it's so thirsty I had to keep it in a gear or 2 higher around the turns to make it a 1 pit race. Good car though. Neck breaking acceleration out of the turns, maintains speed through the fast turns and is stable.

Ran again with the WRX Gr.B road car. 26:48.885. 2:08.702 fastest lap. The car could be a couple seconds faster per lap but it's so thirsty I had to keep it in a gear or 2 higher around the turns to make it a 1 pit race. Good car though. Neck breaking acceleration out of the turns, maintains speed through the fast turns and is stable.
Gr.B cars need to be thirsty.
They dont need to refill on the run, so spending more fuel on each part of the rally will only make them faster ;)

Ran the Veyron again and improved on my time. 26:09.426 with a fastest lap of 2:06.512. FM1 with high gears the whole way, pit after lap 7, no tire change. 25's may be possible. Maybe a slight suspension change could give a touch better grip through turns 3, 4, 9 and 10.

Then ran the RA272 at 26:29.341. Fastest lap of 2:09.768. No stop, of course.
Love the RA272 in this race!

T10: Can't do it, never been able to do it, I don't know how the AI is so fast at this turn but so slow at the rest.
I was sure it happened on some video, and there it is:

I think it was with the previous version though, no idea if this car with the current patch can still do it 😆

GT-R Nismo '17
26:49.143 Race Time
2:08.185 Fastest Lap

Pretty much stock. Swapped out tires to Sports Hard, added the custom LSD (stock settings), added 6kg of ballast (-21) and added a brake balance controller (rear 2) to help with braking in to turn 1. 600pp exactly. 203mph on the main straight and a bit tail happy under braking. Eats up front tires with this configuration, but it's a 1 stop race on FM1.

GT by Citroën Road Car
27:13.285 Race Time
2:10.821 Fastest Lap

Not a bad car. Fairly good grip through the turns and pretty nice brakes, but a bit slow on the straight and not the best accelerating car, so passing can be tough. Because of this the race itself is really tough to get a CRB. The AI will smash in to you at any point. On the brakes, going in to a turn, accelerating out of the hair pin. It doesnt matter. They are total bastards.

I have been noticing that the AI can be total jerks when you get in a car that is somewhat competitive with them. Blazsan will push you around through the turns, he doesn't care. Suswillo and Beauvois will gladly use your car to help slow them down in to turn 1 or the hairpin. Most of them have no respect for the blue flag. I can't tell you how many times I had to restart a race because these guys had no regard for track ettiquite. And not just a restart because we touched on lap 1. I'm talking about needing to restart on lap 8 because Yamanaka dive bombs you going in to turn 1 and spins you out. Maybe this is some new AI programming from the latest v1.31 update but it's pretty annoying to have to start and restart and restart 10-15 times just to get a clean race.

I was sure it happened on some video, and there it is:

I think it was with the previous version though, no idea if this car with the current patch can still do it 😆

I've been needing to be much more agressive with the "slower" cars I have been trying. My setup through turn 9 has been getting better so my exit on to that mini straight up the hill has been getting more aggressive to pass these guys either on the gas or the brakes in to turn 10. Sometimes it works, sometimes they manage to go equally as fast as me on the outside, off the racing line... go figure.

The Stratos can easily get to 600pp but I don't know how competitive it is. I haven't tried it but I have a tune I used for the Deep Forest Human Comedy event that could be a good starting point. I recall it being surprisingly fast, like, you didn't even realize you were running such fast lap times. It was also pretty good on fuel. Maybe it could be a no stop car.

The Stratos can easily get to 600pp but I don't know how competitive it is. I haven't tried it but I have a tune I used for the Deep Forest Human Comedy event that could be a good starting point. I recall it being surprisingly fast, like, you didn't even realize you were running such fast lap times. It was also pretty good on fuel. Maybe it could be a no stop car.
If I remember correct you used my suggested tune there. ;)
If that is the case then for Tokyo it is different - no 3rd gear shenigans necessary, it will simply almost full power through with no pit.
I did give my disc to a friend for a while, so I cant currently check the differences, but it only comes down to tyres by requirement (racing in DF, sport in Tokyo), suspension to fit the wet road better and transmission.
I used it quite alot, before I jumped the wagon and discovered the Alfa 4C to simply be better in all regards except for the sound 😝

If I remember correct you used my suggested tune there. ;)
If that is the case then for Tokyo it is different - no 3rd gear shenigans necessary, it will simply almost full power through with no pit.
I did give my disc to a friend for a while, so I cant currently check the differences, but it only comes down to tyres by requirement (racing in DF, sport in Tokyo), suspension to fit the wet road better and transmission.
I used it quite alot, before I jumped the wagon and discovered the Alfa 4C to simply be better in all regards except for the sound 😝
Yep, I'm guessing you are right about where I got the tune. I still haven't tried it yet. Instead I have been trying different cars. Ran the Hellcat Safety car just about bone stock. Gave it an LSD upgrade and a brake balance controller. That's it. 27:23.547 race time with a 2:10.659 fastest lap. Unfortunately, lost to Kokubun by .3 seconds. Despite me having the cherries and berries on, he wouldn't pull over. :lol:

20230423_183830.jpg

Last edited:
Lancia Stratos
26:38.577 Race Time
2:10.024 Fastest Lap

Meythia's tune for this car is flawless. Seriously, I couldn't ask for a better setup. The car is 100% neutral. You can chuck it in to any turn and it just takes it without doing anything wonky. It doesn't understeer, doesn't oversteer, doesn't slide from a lack of grip it just goes wherever you tell it.

Since the v1.31 update adjusted the PP levels of some cars, this one actually came down. So I did a couple adjustments from Meythia's original tune. I did all the weight reduction I could do and just added a little ballast towards for front. Basically a fully built Stratos on Sport Soft tires with an amazing suspension setup.

20230423_214321.jpg
20230423_214146.jpg
20230423_214215.jpg

Uggg..... I've spent the last 2 hours trying JaK's '89 Miata challenge. If I told you I only made it past the first lap a handful of times, I wouldn't be lying. The car is so good, but those tires on the first lap are brutal. It doesn't help that your car is so light that it ping pongs off the AI sending you into the shadow realm. So that's fun... <sigh> I just.... I can't do it any more. I got to go to bed.

Last edited:
Uggg..... I've spent the last 2 hours trying JaK's '89 Miata challenge. If I told you I only made it past the first lap a handful of times, I wouldn't be lying. The car is so good, but those tires on the first lap are brutal. It doesn't help that your car is so light that it ping pongs off the AI sending you into the shadow realm. So that's fun... <sigh> I just.... I can't do it any more. I got to go to bed.
Yeah that first lap is brutal. I originally built it with racing intermediatea that lasted the whole race but the recent patch forced the swap to hards. A break might be all it takes. Cant wait to hear about you future success!

Yeah that first lap is brutal. I originally built it with racing intermediatea that lasted the whole race but the recent patch forced the swap to hards. A break might be all it takes. Cant wait to hear about you future success!
My best race so far was up to lap 8. Unfortunately, Kokubun had pitted and was back on the track while I was entering the main straight, so he was already in front of me. I had no chance of catching up to him but kept pushing harder and harder to see what I could do. Unfortunately, I spun out in turn 1 when trying to get everything I could out of the poor Miata.

That first lap requires you to be in the exact perfect lane at specific points on the track or else the car spins out. I've thought about trying Sport Softs to see if it helps with the first lap but I haven tested it in the dry to see how much corner speed is lost vs. the Racing Hards. If I don't run a 2:37 or faster on lap 1, I just start the race over. If I can't hit 2:14 - 2:15 by lap 4 I might as well start over. 2:12's are possible in the dry with the RH tires, but can the SS tires get close to that??? Maybe I'll test it tonight.

Its not a fast car you wont go faster then 166 to 170 down the straight but once it dries up the cornering and no pit stop works ok.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230426035345.jpg

No I didn't get the CRB but that's more on me.:lol:

That first lap requires you to be in the exact perfect lane at specific points on the track or else the car spins out. I've thought about trying Sport Softs to see if it helps with the first lap but I haven tested it in the dry to see how much corner speed is lost vs. the Racing Hards. If I don't run a 2:37 or faster on lap 1, I just start the race over. If I can't hit 2:14 - 2:15 by lap 4 I might as well start over. 2:12's are possible in the dry with the RH tires, but can the SS tires get close to that??? Maybe I'll test it tonight.
I don't think sports softs will be able to carry the required speed but interested to hear your results.
That start straight is a killer but from memory you can be about 5 - 6 seconds quicker than the rx7 through the corners.
Like the Alpharad though it requires a slower run by the AI. Speaking of which, I finally won with but it required a bit of blocking

I don't think sports softs will be able to carry the required speed but interested to hear your results.
That start straight is a killer but from memory you can be about 5 - 6 seconds quicker than the rx7 through the corners.
Like the Alpharad though it requires a slower run by the AI. Speaking of which, I finally won with but it required a bit of blocking
Tried your Miata challenge last night - great fun! I came close with RH, but made a couple mistakes so not sure if I would have won on a clean race. Ran into the same issues as @Tommy_D on the early laps.

So I gave it a shot with SS tires, removed the ballast and lowered the rear downforce to get to 600pp.

It actually worked really well and I was outperforming the RH tires during the first 3/4 of the race. I got torpedoed by one of the AI around lap 9 and ended up coming in 2nd (barely). The AI do better when the track dries out. I think my SS time was faster, but I didn't write them down.

I'm going to give both another try tonight and I'll let you know how I fare.

Really enjoyed your YT video BTW, well-narrated!

Tried your Miata challenge last night - great fun! I came close with RH, but made a couple mistakes so not sure if I would have won on a clean race. Ran into the same issues as @Tommy_D on the early laps.

So I gave it a shot with SS tires, removed the ballast and lowered the rear downforce to get to 600pp.

It actually worked really well and I was outperforming the RH tires during the first 3/4 of the race. I got torpedoed by one of the AI around lap 9 and ended up coming in 2nd (barely). The AI do better when the track dries out. I think my SS time was faster, but I didn't write them down.

I'm going to give both another try tonight and I'll let you know how I fare.

Really enjoyed your YT video BTW, well-narrated!
JaK's YT videos are great. I'm willing to try these types of challenges as I think I may have a chance at accomplishing them, but I'm not man enough to try to race in reverse like he does. No way would I be able to do that.

Last edited:
Back