The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,574 comments
Mia gives "The Buster" a run for his money. Of course she learned from Hector that these Hondas need Spoon engines with T66 turbos to compete, so she got her brother and the boys to make a special order from Japan.

Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98 (Engine swapped)
Race Time: 26:54.573
Fastest Lap: 2:09.588

20230717_222238.jpg

This is how Hector's Civic should have felt. The backend is lively and helps with rotation but doesn't get too crazy, the understeer is present but not overbearing and it's much better with tire wear. I was able to pit after lap 7 and still had maybe 15% of my front tires left. It's really fuel efficient and only needed a couple laps of fuel, so the pit stop is really quick. If I were to do it again, I would adjust the gears to lengthen 2nd gear a bit more to control the wheel spin out of turns 1, 2 and the hairpin. Overall it's a pretty decent drive for a FWD car.

The Tune:
Widebody, Engine swap, 18" wide/wide wheels, Type B front and side, Standard rear and wing, Type C roll cage
20230717_222749.jpg
20230717_222812.jpg
20230717_222836.jpg

Oh my god I thought this race might be a bit easier with the wheel… woo was I wrong! It’s freaking impossible! There’s like some weird weight transfer thing going on and once it starts there’s nothing I can do to recover and I end up spun the hell out getting hit by 5 AI cars and the race is over. I must have restarted 20 times and now it’s 3:30 and I need to get to sleep. Some of the turns that were easy on the controller are impossible now because my car is too busy wobbling and won’t settle. With the controller I just move the stick left then right and boom! Car settles. With the wheel I’ve tried every direction but it will not settle. Ever.

Oh my god I thought this race might be a bit easier with the wheel… woo was I wrong! It’s freaking impossible! There’s like some weird weight transfer thing going on and once it starts there’s nothing I can do to recover and I end up spun the hell out getting hit by 5 AI cars and the race is over. I must have restarted 20 times and now it’s 3:30 and I need to get to sleep. Some of the turns that were easy on the controller are impossible now because my car is too busy wobbling and won’t settle. With the controller I just move the stick left then right and boom! Car settles. With the wheel I’ve tried every direction but it will not settle. Ever.
It took me about a month to get used to a wheel and pedal setup and be as fast or faster than I was on the controller. You may find that you need to make suspension adjustments to get the weight transfer to settle down. Usually knocking down the compression and rebound values helps to settle the car.

It took me about a month to get used to a wheel and pedal setup and be as fast or faster than I was on the controller. You may find that you need to make suspension adjustments to get the weight transfer to settle down. Usually knocking down the compression and rebound values helps to settle the car.
I managed to win twice in a row with the CRB both times. I seem to have figured out a way to prevent the weight transfer that was plaguing me last night.

Trying something different...
Honda Sports VGT
Race Time: 27:18.554
Fastest Lap: 2:11.879

20230719_235613.jpg

This is like the Boss 429's handling combined with the S2000's acceleration. It's unreal how much grip you have through the corners, especially for Sport Hard tires. However, you aren't fast so you have to keep that throttle as hard to the floor as you can through the fast bends. The reward is the passing maneuvers you can pull in this car are like no other car I've driven. The Boss 429 can pass pretty much anywhere you want, but with this car, you can pass on the outside of turn 4 with ease. You can pass through turn 10 with ease. You come out of the turns going so much faster than the AI but you can easily maneuver the car left or right to slip right past them. So much fun. Unfortunately, you only can hit 167 mph on the straight. 170 if you are in a drafting position. So it's a bit like driving the van, but much more fun. The tires easily last the whole race. Just need a bit of fuel after lap 8.

You really can't tune this car very much. Just adjustments to the power, ballast and tires. That's it. So not much of a tune here:
20230720_001035.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, one more Tokyo tune from me. I finally found a way to get an engine swap under 25:30 with clean driving. There were many R33 swap tunes around hitting 25:35 to 25:40 but this R34 tune seems to me faster and more consistant than any of those. Since the engine swap removes any fuel worries, the key seems to be bumping up the weight for more power headroom, moving the added weight back for balancing and then upping the downforce for grip and tire wear reduction. With this tune, both fuel and tires are non-factors, one can just concentrate on driving. There is still a bit more understeering than I would really want, but the few attempts I had to counter it just ended up more wobbly when going from brake pedal to gas pedal.

From GT Auto, you need front splitter, rear diffuser and custom wing. Tires are 18" wides with wide offset, not sure if that affects the pp though.

This still isn't quite as fast as my S1 Pikes Peak tune, but this one is more flexible for other tracks than Tokyo. A fun car to go for on the GT-R cup events, for example.

189722c79d366-screenshotUrl.jpg

189726f08ee2-screenshotUrl.jpg

189722bf67f25-screenshotUrl.jpg

189722bcda941-screenshotUrl.jpg

Attachments

• 189722b96b432-screenshotUrl.jpg
    189722b96b432-screenshotUrl.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Has anybody tried the F40 in this race? I just bought one and I'm considering trying this one for the 2nd time ever.

I havent used the F40 for ages on Tokyo,if I remember on my build I went with stock suspension,manual cust transmission,a very small amount of ballast and high rpm turbo.With SH it was about 500hp or just under,I had to mess around with fuel mapping for a lap or 2 to make the pit window but it was a pretty safe drive.Ive not tried the engine swap version yet.👍

Went for some EV driving after watching Goodwood FOS which so many EVs this year :P

Screenshot_20230721-021052_YouTube.jpg

Did this right after the car released and so much fun with it. Curious if it can hang on with the faster AIs.
It could run with much less ballast compare to the version when it released. And overall drier track improved the overall time.
Same strategy: CM, 2 pits

I tried winning this race with the 2014 Jr. Redbull car and it's a real PITA. Super fast car through the bends and the brakes and trail braking are incredible, but the straight line speed is terrible. 165 mph on the straight. You can get 4 or 5 seconds ahead of the cars behind you, but as soon as you hit that straight they catch up by turn 1 and you are stuck fighting to get around them again. I can run 2:13's on practice laps (considering this is a no-stop car this time should easily win) but can't break below 2:17 in the actual race because I get held up by the AI.

The AI can be real assholes too. I took an aggressive line in to the hairpin with really late braking, trailing braking deep into the apex. I was trying my best to get as far ahead of the AI as I could before the straight. So what does the AI do? It decides to ignore a safe braking point and instead ram into the back of me launching me towards the outside cones. This was on lap 5, so there wasn't some sort of fighting for position going on. I chalk it up to AI stupidity, get back on track and exit out of the hairpin only to have another AI car repeatedly tap into my rear quarter and spin me out. It's like I was racing against Kimi in some sort of GT Sport race.

At that point, I just shut the game off and went to bed.

Last edited:
(...) The AI can be real assholes too. I took an aggressive line in to the hairpin with really late braking, trailing braking deep into the apex. I was trying my best to get as far ahead of the AI as I could before the straight. So what does the AI do? It decides to ignore a safe braking point and instead ram into the back of me launching me towards the outside cones. This was on lap 5, so there wasn't some sort of fighting for position going on. I chalk it up to AI stupidity, get back on track and exit out of the hairpin only to have another AI car repeatedly tap into my rear quarter and spin me out. It's like I was racing against Kimi in some sort of GT Sport race.

At that point, I just shut the game off and went to bed.

Perhaps fixed with the next update ;-)

Last edited:
Camaro Z/28 '69 - Yenko Edition
Race Time: 26:41.692
Fastest Lap: 2:08.348

20230721_224717.jpg

This ain't no Boss 429, let me tell you. Very squirrley back end because there's no weight over it. The PP on this car is sort of glitched in that you can put a ton of power in it, but if you try to reduce it with the ECU or power restrictor it doesn't really make much of any difference. 100hp difference may equal 4-5pp. Because of that your only real PP adjusting method is either through tires, aero or ballast. I went for ballast but had to throw it all the way in the front.

This made everything really touchy. With some wonky suspension adjustments I was able to get it to behave much better but it still has traction issues coming out of the turns and especially out of the hair pin.

I think it has a 2:07 in it but I wasn't quite able to get there. Pit after lap 7 for fuel and tires and turn that traction control up.

The Tune:
Widebody, 17" wide/wide tires, Type A front, standard rear, custom high wing.
20230721_225034.jpg
20230721_225055.jpg
20230721_225121.jpg

GR Supra: One of my favorite "honest" cars for this race.
I decided to give this car a shot.
EDIT: Mine was the 2019 model year. Not sure if there is much difference between them.

Race Time: 26:36.070
Fastest Lap: 2:08.628

20230722_214534.jpg

For some reason this was a white knuckle type of driving experience. I'm not 100% sure why. It could have been the not so great brakes (though really not that bad) or it could have been the dodgy high speed grip the car has. Again not bad, but I didnt really get the feed back from the wheel like I do in most other cars. The car just felt sort of numb for some reason. Anyway, it still slaughters the AI competition.

The Tune:
Widebody, 18" wide/wide wheels, Aero A front/side/rear, custom high wing
20230722_220147.jpg
20230722_220201.jpg
20230722_220220.jpg

Last edited:
Had my hand at the GT40 Mark IV in order to complete my three legendary cars for this circuit. This is a stock tune with ballast and minor power reduction. Half a tank at the end lap 8, but easy peasy. I'm sure there's tunes available for this where you can run 2:08 laps, or even faster.

18984e7c80993-screenshotUrl.jpg

18984e7b7ca29-screenshotUrl.jpg

18984e7d44f78-screenshotUrl.jpg

Had another crack at the R8. Last time I used it was a few months ago.

18984e039d716-screenshotUrl.jpg

18984e051ba94-screenshotUrl.jpg

Tune:

18984e064e410-screenshotUrl.jpg

18984e078c877-screenshotUrl.jpg

18984e08c9b12-screenshotUrl.jpg

Had to get that Daily Workout reward before heading to work. :lol:

Another EV run
My first proper attempt driving the Audi VGT

For the power left crossing the line I think I could reduce the amount of coasting for faster laps.
Or maybe try with CH for more performance.(it grip well in CM)

edit: tried some CH runs and it improved the overall time.

Last edited:
My second favorite car to use in the event, if I feel wanting to deviate from the usual DP-100.

IMG_20230728_062320.jpg

Doesn't gobble up much fuel and considerate on the tires. Handling is secure, won't let you down lap after lap.

18999716e3b21-screenshotUrl.jpg

1899971829b0-screenshotUrl.jpg

1899971984a6-screenshotUrl.jpg

Been using the ‘04 STI at all circuits. Decided to try at Tokyo.

My first run was in VR, on SM compound. FM1, One stop, Race time 27:16. Lapping 2:11-12. Finished 26 seconds ahead of P2.
Second run in flat screen. SH compound. FM1 Lap1-5. FM3 Lap6-11, FM1 Lap 12. No stop. Lapping 2:14(FL 2:12/FM1)
1690668301480.jpeg

1690668505999.jpeg

1690668534124.jpeg

1690668612677.jpeg

On SH, Front tyres have tiny white bars left on the last lap. left the diff at 35:65 all race. Car pulls strong in any gear and the Carbon discs keep the car stable in the braking zone. 30% dampers keep the weight transfer smooth in the corners. Comfortable car.

There are plenty posts here with engine swapped cars. So I don't so.
Ok with that answer I found that dropping a 787B engine in the RX-7 and with some simple reduction tuning (not glitch tune) with power reducer and the custom ECU, and with Sport Hard tyres you can do the Tokyo 600 nonstop, no pitstop and with careful driving not to hit the AI you can get the CRB easily. If the AI hits you, you are still good for the CRB.

Ok with that answer I found that dropping a 787B engine in the RX-7 and with some simple reduction tuning (not glitch tune) with power reducer and the custom ECU, and with Sport Hard tyres you can do the Tokyo 600 nonstop, no pitstop and with careful driving not to hit the AI you can get the CRB easily. If the AI hits you, you are still good for the CRB.
Yes that is a very nice swap. Try the Nissan Skyline R34 with the R92 engine swap. It's a NO stop easy race at Tokyo with SH tyres.
The Skyline R33 with the swap is also very nice but I like the R34 more because it has a 6 speed tranny.

Corvette C8 '20 (Bone Stock)
Race Time: 27:15.015
Fastest Lap: 2:11.035

20230731_221931.jpg

Not a bad car. A bit vague in the steering department and the lack of downforce on the back end does make turns 4 and 9 especially slippery once your tires are about half way through. Overall, though, it's not bad. Plenty of top end. Plenty of high speed grip to pass the AI in the usual places. Im sure a modded version could run a few seconds faster per lap, but even stock it still beats the AI on hard difficulty pretty easily.

No tune on this one. 100% stock.

Last edited:
Alfa Romeo Giulia GTAm '20
Race Time: 27:08.685
Fastest Lap: 2:10.518

20230731_232248.jpg

I won a full control computer in the roulette wheel for the Giulia from running the C8 Vette at Tokyo, so I decided to install it and give this car a run. Impeccable brakes. Like, world class brakes... and they are stock. No pads or anything. You can out brake Gallo in to the hairpin they are that good. Acceleration isn't bad. It could be a bit faster but I think my perception is off because the brakes are so good that it makes the acceleration a bit lack luster. Now, one thing of note, the stock suspension is a bit squishy. This car nose dives when you stab the brakes so be careful entering turns 8 and 9. You can't give the brakes a quick stap to scrub off speed, you have to lightly drag the brakes well in to the apex of the turns but it stays very stable if you do that. A 27:08 easily beats the AI but this time Kokubun ran a 27:14 on this race. I don't think I've seen him run faster than that. I really didn't put any pressure on him until Lap 11. He must have been running some pretty consistent fast laps throughout the race to have such a lead that I didn't catch and pass him until turn 9 on lap 11. See photo above.

On to the tune:
Aero: Front Type A, Type B rear wing, stock wheels with wide offset. Set downforce to 117 front, 366 rear. Add the full control ECU. That's it.

Alfa Romeo Giulia GTAm '20
Race Time: 27:08.685
Fastest Lap: 2:10.518

View attachment 1276643

I won a full control computer in the roulette wheel for the Giulia from running the C8 Vette at Tokyo, so I decided to install it and give this car a run. Impeccable brakes. Like, world class brakes... and they are stock. No pads or anything. You can out brake Gallo in to the hairpin they are that good. Acceleration isn't bad. It could be a bit faster but I think my perception is off because the brakes are so good that it makes the acceleration a bit lack luster. Now, one thing of note, the stock suspension is a bit squishy. This car nose dives when you stab the brakes so be careful entering turns 8 and 9. You can't give the brakes a quick stap to scrub off speed, you have to lightly drag the brakes well in to the apex of the turns but it stays very stable if you do that. A 27:08 easily beats the AI but this time Kokubun ran a 27:14 on this race. I don't think I've seen him run faster than that. I really didn't put any pressure on him until Lap 11. He must have been running some pretty consistent fast laps throughout the race to have such a lead that I didn't catch and pass him until turn 9 on lap 11. See photo above.

On to the tune:
Aero: Front Type A, Type B rear wing, stock wheels with wide offset. Set downforce to 117 front, 366 rear. Add the full control ECU. That's it.
I love to drive that car a lot, but I am really struggeling with it's fuel consumption...what FM/pit strategy did you use ?

Back