The WTC 600 in Tokyo done without exploits is genuinely one of the hardest races in single player in gt7 - share your setups, tips, and cars

• Thread starter The_It_Jojo
  • 2,574 comments
Has anyone tried to figure out the state of tune of the competitor AI cars? It would be cool to see if you could beat them in copies of their own cars, or similarly equipped cars of the same caliber.

They obviously have aero, but further than that, I haven’t looked to deeply into it. Just looking for fun stuff to do, as I do enjoy this race and the track.

Thanks!

I wonder how you could get the AI tune. I guess you can't really use a car if the exactly same caliber. Maybe one with the same calipers. :D

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to figure out the state of tune of the competitor AI cars? It would be cool to see if you could beat them in copies of their own cars, or similarly equipped cars of the same caliber.

They obviously have aero, but further than that, I haven’t looked to deeply into it. Just looking for fun stuff to do, as I do enjoy this race and the track.

Thanks!
I have wondered that myself, but except for seeing which tyres they are using everything else would be tedious guesswork.
Are they even on the PP limit or just using something that would be "reasonably tuned under certian circumstances".

Sidenote: after not playing for a while and now having my lunchbreak spent, I did readjust my Stratos again:
1704279416868.png

With an optimal lap time of 2:07.6
If I was an alien, I could beat into 25.5x ... need to try harder tomorrow, and still some precise changes to be made, I think I can still increase the speed just a tiny bit.

Last edited:
yup we're about the same, 26:40 when it first came out, i retuned it yesterday using low turbo and improved a bit to 26:35, but no where near sub 26mins.
I gave it a shot. Ran a 26:48 with a best lap in the high 2:08’s. I’m really rusty at this track and this car was really inconsistent for me. The tail end would get really light on braking in to turns 2, 8, 9 and 10 forcing me to be extra cautious and going slower on the entry.

With some more suspension tuning, transmission tuning and practice I could probably take 18 seconds off that time to get a 26:30, but not a sub-26 minute race time.

I love the LFA from Lexus, it's a roomy luxury car designed to drive on any road, I have one I purchased Sunday so I'm gonna give it a go here at Tokyo, I've been using the NSX '17 and the Supra '20 which didn't give me any wins but maybe two, that's all. I don't think i'll need to pit as I always have my Fuel Map set to 5-6; I can take this advantage and pass opponents when they are in the pit.

How would I get the CRB fast enough to where I can avoid hitting the walls or other cars?

How would I get the CRB fast enough to where I can avoid hitting the walls or other cars?
Not sure I understand the question. How do you get the CRB and still be fast enough to win the race? Umm, drive faster and don't hit anyone? Pass other cars on the straights? Learn the track better and find where the AI is slow and you are fast? You just have to figure out where you can make passes cleanly. Thats all there is to it.

Last edited:
I love the LFA from Lexus, it's a roomy luxury car designed to drive on any road, I have one I purchased Sunday so I'm gonna give it a go here at Tokyo, I've been using the NSX '17 and the Supra '20 which didn't give me any wins but maybe two, that's all. I don't think i'll need to pit as I always have my Fuel Map set to 5-6; I can take this advantage and pass opponents when they are in the pit.

This post is quite a bit confusing to read.
Anyway.
Reducing the fuelmap also decreases your speed, so it is not necessarily an advantage to not needing to pit.
Maybe the car in question would actually be faster although you are going to refuel.
Propably combine it with changing tyres if necessary.
Propably choosing softer tyres and reducing power also benefits your lap times.

So I guess i'll choose the soft tires, and turn my Fuel Map up to 2. And just try to figure out the driving patterns the AI use so I can overtake when needed, thanks.

Next attempt, tried the full power setup as my previous tune didnt have all the parts installed.
Only one run for now, misjudged fuel economy and ran empty on the downhill to the finishing line :(
1704325481791.png

1704355398044.png

So I guess i'll choose the soft tires, and turn my Fuel Map up to 2. And just try to figure out the driving patterns the AI use so I can overtake when needed, thanks.
If you simply overtake all of them on the first lap then there is nothing left to worry about 🙄
But then also remember: every attempt counts as practice - the more you do, the better you could understand the car or the track.

Last edited:
Aain small changes to my Stratos.
By accident my lap that I thought would propably ruin my current run made me try a different approach to the corners instead instead.
The result of that specific lap is me tapping the e-brake, during all later laps with the best being this one (which still looks like it can improve)

Finally joined the car into the below 26 minute racers (while still not meating the perfect fuel saving and running empty a good amount). Anyone wants to try to reach the limits?
I guess there is still 3 seconds to improve for me, though this is really going to be taxing my nerves ><
1704583508850.png

Last edited:
Seems like the old cars work the best. That Stratos is really fast.

I used the GT40 and got pretty good results. Have to pit for fuel in the middle of the race. I got new tires too, but you probably don't need to.

My fastest lap was a 2:07. I can reach a top speed of about 195 mph.

The brakes are awful, but you can use the engine to slow down better.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240108235332.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20240108235353.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20240109003418.jpg

On my new account i would like to test the following car-category (with a few exceptions) on the Tokyo-Grind.
"Japan/4WD/Road Car (and one professionally tuned Nismo R400)"

Kudos Prime lists 31 cars. As i am not interested in the
  • Toyota Tundra
  • Toyota Alphard
  • Toyota Himedic
  • Suzuki VGT
  • Nissan Concept VGT
  • Nissan GTR Safety Car
  • Subaru WRX Group B Road Car
  • Mitsubishi Evo Group B Road Car
by now, so there are 23 cars left.

Namely:
Honda NSX 17
Mazda Atenza
Mazda 3
Mitsubishi GTO
Mitsubishi Evo III/IV/V/VI/Final
Subaru Impreza 98/99/04/14
Nismo R32 90/R400/GTR 17
Nissan GTR R32/R33/R34/GTR 17
Toyota Celica GT Four
Toyota GR Corolla Morizo
Toyota GR Yaris RZ

I am only doing tuning on a basic level. Only tyres and turbos, maybe brakes and manual transmission for higher speed. Standard suspension.

Many of them should be fine like the Imprezas, the GTRs, the NSX,...

Do you guys know which will be the hardest ones to win? Maybe Mazda 3 for example?

Thanks!

Edit: Plus: does anybody maybe know how much slower medium difficulty enemys are vs hard difficulty? Thanks!

Last edited:
May i ask again what's the time needed to win Tokyo on easy/medium/hard difficulty settings? Thank you!
About 27m20s on hard, other settings unknown.
But what does knowing the time change on the fact that the cars are either good enough or not?

Thanks! I don't understand the question. If i don't play on hard but medium or easy and the times are slower i can get more (not so perfect) cars to win.

Thanks! I don't understand the question. If i don't play on hard but medium or easy and the times are slower i can get more (not so perfect) cars to win.
Did an easy run, didnt see much of a difference.
I guess 27m30s is a FAST easy, as this already is a SLOW hard.

So i guess propably target times could be
easy 27.35
medium 27.30
hard 27.25

And yay, I chipped another 2s of that Stratos (personal quest)
1705405009756.png

.55 totally possible

Last edited:
Oh, i see. Thanks, i thought there was much more time between the difficulty settings. Like 20 seconds and not 5.
Maybe it is, it was just an estimation based on a single easy run and countless hard runs where 27.20 is among the fast-average times, I dont recall any AI doing 27.19.

Anyway, as you want to drive these cars anyway, just have a look at their PP and then
590 ~ hard
570 ~ medium,
550 ~ easy
could propaly be used to see if they have a chance.
Mazda 3 definitly doesnt have enough power with your "basic tuning challenge" ;)

Last edited:
Will take some time until i post about that challenge. Still doing the Menu Books on the new account. But at least i already have about 2/3 of the cars i want to try. :-)

AI times by screenshots within this thread since februrary 23 (difficulty setting undefined)
27m + xs
05 - 1
10 - 2
12 - 2
15 - 2
16 - 1
17 - 1
18 - 2
19 - 2
20 - 4
21 - 4
22 - 1
23 - 2
24 - 2
25 - 7
26 - 4
27 - 9
28 - 8
29 - 5
30 - 4
31 - 9
32 - 6
33 - 12
34 - 5
35 - 8
36 - 8
37 - 5
38 - 6
39 - 7
40 - 4
41 - 3
42 - 2
43 - 3
46 - 2
48 - 1
49 - 1
53 - 1

before that the AI would hardly beat into 30 and quite often also do 28m

Last edited:
I was wondering what the top potential for DP100 for clean driving was, since I've been fine tuning my S1 Pikes Peak setup further. Last weekend got it down to 25:20
I was "just going to give it a try again" to see how things have changed:
1705656393653.png

Havent yet reached my potential, was my first run with this car for a while.
Maybe -5seconds?

Edit:
okay, still -2seconds on the watch by driving error - this time is without CRB by that ...
1705671113549.png

Last edited:
On my new account i would like to test the following car-category (with a few exceptions) on the Tokyo-Grind.

• Toyota Tundra
  • Toyota Alphard
  • Toyota Himedic
  • Suzuki VGT
  • Nissan Concept VGT
  • Nissan GTR Safety Car

Namely:
Honda NSX 17
Mazda Atenza
Mazda 3
Mitsubishi GTO
Nismo R32 90/R400/GTR 17
Toyota Celica GT Four
Toyota GR Corolla Morizo
Toyota GR Yaris RZ

I am only doing tuning on a basic level. Only tyres and turbos, maybe brakes and manual transmission for higher speed. Standard suspension.

Do you guys know which will be the hardest ones to win? Maybe Mazda 3 for example?

Thanks!

Edit: Plus: does anybody maybe know how much slower medium difficulty enemys are vs hard difficulty? Thanks!
It seems like i misjudged the power of many of these cars. On many i had to go and buy about every tuning part there is.

I already drove every car but the Skylines, Evos and Imprezas round Tokyo.

I could win with every but the Mazda 3.

I also misjudged the difference between difficultys. AI goes between 27:20 and 27:40 no matter what, it seems. So i can stay on hard as well.

Honda NSX 26:59
Mazda Atenza 27:25
Mazda 3 27:49
Mitsubishi GTO 27:12
Toyota Celica 27:17
Toyota Corolla 27:17
Toyota Yaris 27:18

All 3 Toyotas where really a pleasure to drive.

I will post again when i finished at least once with every car, maybe posting tunes of the most pleasurable but it's just normal things i do.

CRB is difficult with cars that stay in traffic for many laps, obviously. Until now i only made 3 out of 4 runs in the NSX and 1 out if 2 in the Corolla with hitting the sweet 825.000 credits.

Last edited:
I could win with every but the Mazda 3.

Did some test runs with it. (FM1 Non stop run)
20240122_224909.jpg

599.51pp
RH tyres
Power brake clutch upgrades and weight reduction
Standard aero suspension differential and Transmission (I need the long 6th gear for fuel saving, you can fit the Manual transmissionand and still below 600pp)

BWM
Did some test runs with it. (FM1 Non stop run)
View attachment 1321592
599.51pp
RH tyres
Power brake clutch upgrades and weight reduction
Standard aero suspension differential and Transmission (I need the long 6th gear for fuel saving, you can fit the Manual transmissionand and still below 600pp)
RH tires was a bold strategy, but it is AWD, so maybe that's not a bad idea.

But if I recall correctly, many people tried the 3 when it was originally released and it was a fairly easy winner, right?

But if I recall correctly, many people tried the 3 when it was originally released and it was a fairly easy winner, right?
Well, I was under the impression KAlex at first wanted to to basic tuning only, but with the modified ruleset of "everything goes" of course one of my pretty early replies takes on again:
if the car sits around 600pp and is equipped with sport tyres, it has a chance to win.

1705942718057.png

No surprise with that to me.
Quite a bit slow on the straight and nothing worth mentioning.

Then taken as an opportunity to just redo this event a few times:
1705943026364.png

Last edited:

Road condition isn't that bad for Racing tyres especially back from certain version they made this race much drier than the original. It is my usual approach for underpowered cars.

Last edited:

• Toyota Tundra
  • Toyota Alphard
  • Toyota Himedic
  • Suzuki VGT
  • Nissan Concept VGT
  • Nissan GTR Safety Car

Namely:
Honda NSX 17
Mazda Atenza
Mazda 3
Mitsubishi GTO
Nismo R32 90/R400/GTR 17
Toyota Celica GT Four
Toyota GR Corolla Morizo
Toyota GR Yaris RZ

Thanks!

Well, it didn't stay with the "basic tuning" as some of the cars are not near enough to get to 600 (powerfull) PP. But i did it by now. I tuned and raced every of the 23 cars at least once. It would be a screenshotfest to show all the 23 tunes (plus, i guess, mine are not especially good) but i wrote the weigth and power plus ratio plus acceleration on the right side of the table so you see where the cars are standing.
GZ Times.jpg

Now that i know which cars are an easy win, CRB is pretty easy to get if you survive the first corner. But for the first run of every car i didn't try hard to get it, i just tried to get a fast and relatively consistent run for a good laptime and total time. On 2 runs i was spun on the straight by opponents. In these runs i used one or two wallrides to get back to a relatively consistent total time. These wallride-laps where not used for best laptime of course.

For this race i obviously recommend buying the torque vectoring and brake balance devices to get good use of your cars plus enough tire-life.

On many tunes the weight to tire-model (hard/medium/soft) ist pretty extreme. So after 2 or 3 of the first, wettest laps with about 30% on the front axle i had to go 10/90 or even 95 to the rear to get to the pits on lap 6 or 7 (brake balance completely to the rear). Thats why i like the cars on hard tires that are still not too heavy like the older GTRs where i can choose the torque vectoring to my liking for the full race and still have some tire lift on the only pit stop. Some power on the front is important for me as i drive with AT. So i can get a good exit out of a corner without shifting myself. Its interesting how different that works for many cars. For some 40:60 ist perfect to not under- or oversteer and for others 25:75 feels like that and 40:60 would be totally understeering when accelerating out of a corner.

So appart from the heavy NSX the Nissans/Nismos are fast of course and at least on my tunes the newer Imprezas and older Evos are great. Not the best time but great fun are als 3 Toyotas. You get more traffic as they are slower but not that hard to win and thy feel light and nimble.

When i have that much time again i will try to see what the better tunes have in common and if i can pass that on to some of the weaker ones. Also i will try and better some of my favorites like the Nissan R34 or the old Evos and the Toyotas.

Next i will use some non-japanese 4WDs like the Audi TT, TTS, R8, the Ford Focus '18 or the Porsche 959.

Have a great day!

Well, it didn't stay with the "basic tuning" as some of the cars are not near enough to get to 600 (powerfull) PP. But i did it by now.
I know it feels like cheeting to mix tyre compounds, is this the reason you only did single compound?
Because to me it felt actually quite alright with hard front and softer rear tyres, both dropping PP for doing other changes and eliminating the strong wear factor on the front.

Latest Posts

Back