Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars?

• Thread starter Inkil
  • 4,066 comments
Man the BOV sounds like someone going shhhh! i think that noise should shhhh! but i was disappointed in gt4 that u cant hear bov in outside car viws other than roofcam. that isnt realistic, especially in cars with big turbos and bovs. also superchargers should have that whistle sound like they do in real life.
True! Bring that back! Blow Off Valve sound is one of the biggest things you want to hear when your car is tuned! I did hate what they did with it in GT3 and GT4.

so, you guys want early 90's disco-music in a game that's from 2007/2008? rriiight.. then why not Michael Jacksons Thriller? or Saturday night fever? Or New Kids on the Block?

man sounds better than the corny arcade racer music in gt4. surely you arent suggesting you like the insanity inducing music in gt4?......... man u gotta love that "foxy lady" cover in GT1's GT mode main menu :P

1. better AI haveing 15 plus cars on the track is really going to suck if none of them realize that you are also on the track.

2. track physics I want to feel the difference in traction on different track surfaces and tempratures.

3. Real time on endurance races 24 hours of daylight really dulls the experiance, and haveing to deal with the glare of the setting sun on Laguna Seca would be sweet.

4. raceing modifications, the one thing that I have missed most since GT2. I would really forza like options for desigining your own modifications, and I really miss the feeling of being the little independant racing team going against the big factory teams. It would be really nice if they would incorperate this with a numbering system like TT where you have to earn that #1 on your car (just like it is in real raceing).

5. Vintage races GT4 gave us some great vintage racecars without really giving us a place to race them. I feel that the Sarth II 24 hr. race should have been vintage cars like the GT40 and 63 Vette. Personally I would like to see some vintage Trans Am races, which leads me to mixed class races, 2.5L cars against big american V8's would be fun and I have seen GT cars win over all in races with prototypes.

6. The ability to fully import your licences from previous games, in the GT world I have been racing for almost 10 years now and don't need to be taught how to drive with each new game. Licence tests are fine for newcomers but just let us experianced folks just get on with the raceing.

7. Damage as an option, I would want to see new people turn away from this great series by the difficulty added by having realistic damage, but haveing damage makes it just that much more challenging for us "old timers".

I have just realised something about the title of this thread: Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars. Well cars would be good you know, otherwise there would'nt be anything to drive!

I have just realised something about the title of this thread: Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars. Well cars would be good you know, otherwise there would'nt be anything to drive!

And if you care to look on this sub-forum you will notice that we have a rather large car wish-list thread, having discussions about cars in every thread under the sun helps no one.

These threads are kept in a degree of order to help people find what they want and to stop hundreds of discussions about why GT has too many Skylines appearing in every thread.

Regards

Scaff

Well no information has been released to really give us very many hints on online mode. However if they have it where you can are waiting on a race that is already in progress. I hope that you can watch the race that is in progress. Especially if you will be waiting 5 mins or more.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to make a tunner garage and sell your "tuner" car over the internet.I would also like to see certain Racing leagues and cars for example:

IMSA*
NHRA(some classes)
Mazda star
Speed GT
DTM
Gran Am*
ALMS*

*now that you have more cars on the track, split the cars up by classes,and do it like in real life.

i dont know if anybody said this yet but, i would like certified DTM and JDM body kits like in Fast and the Furious for a new level of custimization. I would like to see rims made just for trucks and SUVs. Depending on what car you have, for example, a Nissan, you should be able to buy NISMO rims, etc.

I think that they do need a better wheel selection, and as i also said before, more wheel options (dimensioning and such). All the wheels they offer (other than the wheels of the day) are for like the race cars, japanese cars, and european sports cars. They need ones for trucks and muscle cars such as ones by American Racing, Crager, and USWheel. I want to be able to put some 15"-16" vintage Torque Thrust II's or some Keystones on my '70 Chevelle, not some 14" OZ-Racing wheels that look weird and out of proportion.

Key Wheel Necessities:
-More Wheel Brands (including American classics)
-Ability to change wheel diameter (13" thru 24")
-Ability to change wheel/tire width (5"-16" for wheels, 165-355mm for tires)
-Ability to choose offset direction and amount (they must have the hub stay in the same spot for this to work, unlike Midnight Club 3 where making the wheel wider just moves it inwards)
-Have real tire brands
-Different sidewall looks (white-letter, redline, whitewall, blackwall, etc.)
-Keep same bolt pattern on wheel (i say this because if you put aftermarket wheels or wheels from other vehicles on a car, then the bolt pattern changes to the one of the new wheel which seems very odd because cars can go from a 5 bolt pattern to a 6 bolt pattern simply by getting new wheels:dunce: )

The reason for all this is because there are arcade games that are more realistic in visual customizing than GT is which doesnt seem right. Alot of my american vehicles i left with stock wheels simply because putting any aftermarket ones on just looked stupid (especially the case with the '70 Charger)

agreed, it would be nice to see an option that allows low-profile tyres rather than just buying racing tyres,

an option to increase wheel size, but of course this need to affect performance as well as being visual,

An option increasing tyre width, it would be nice to see some chunky tyres,

Also with an option of wide body kits, you should have an option increasing the track.

All of these would have to have an effect on car performance as well as being a visual feature

I am glad I am not the only one who thought the wheel selection suffered, but at least they are actually modeling the wheels this time, no more fake looking textures!!!

Yah i really hated how when you would race in GT4, and it was doing the countdown at the beginning, the wheels were paper thin and flat, regardless of depth. That just looked really stupid.

I've been meaning to post this for about a year now, and I'm pretty sure I haven't. My poor tired head. :P Anyway, race modification should have a few levels to it.

Level 1 Racemod would take your car and make it compatible with serious low level racing such as with SCCA Professional League.

Level 2 would spec a car for Rally, BTCC and similar leagues, and would cost more.

Level 3 would go all out and be the most expensive, including wheel base widening, bodykits and chassis adjustments to make the car compatible with JGTC/Super GT and the like.

I've been meaning to post this for about a year now, and I'm pretty sure I haven't. My poor tired head. :P Anyway, race modification should have a few levels to it.

Level 1 Racemod would take your car and make it compatible with serious low level racing such as with SCCA Professional League.

Level 2 would spec a car for Rally, BTCC and similar leagues, and would cost more.

Level 3 would go all out and be the most expensive, including wheel base widening, bodykits and chassis adjustments to make the car compatible with JGTC/Super GT and the like.

Its a nice idea, so you can gauge what level of modification you want. If you want to give a car a few improvements e.g sports suspension, a small turbo, and a quick weight reduction you would want a level 1, to get a 'cup car' standard,

If you are more serious you want a real racing machine with a bigger turbo, semi racing suspension, slicks, maybe even a customizable transmission, you want Level 2, so you have a serious kit to match you serious car.

If you want to turn you car into a hard core, heavy tuned racing monster, with racing/original suspension, full weight reduction, full N/A or turbine kit, the works, you want to got for the Level 3.

+rep, for a great idea.

I would like to elaborate on that one a little further.

there are 5 different types of kits all together but not all cars are elegable.
They all have certain attributes which may help them for that specific area, but ultimately some are better than others.

Cup car: Cheap, a few stickers, a roll cage, some interior parts removed, maybe a small rear wing for slight downforce, stage 1 weight reduction required first.

Touring car: Expensive, full livery (BTCC,GT300,cars of similar stature), new body kit with subtle but important changes, rear wing, many interior parts removed, roll cage. Stage 2 weight reduction required

GT/Super touring car:
Very expensive. The best kit for racing full stop. Full livery, (GT500, GT cars etc.) Full body make over, light new body, with big rear wing producing massive downforce, Splitters on front for downforce, wide arch kit (including increased track) for increase stability and improved load transfer, rear diffuser at the back underbody of the car for more downforce, completely reworked chassis, air intakes, all non essencial interior parts removed, etc. If you want the fastest lap time, this is the one. stage 3 weight reduction required

Tuner car:Fairly cheep. Not as quick on track as the race modifications but perfect for 1/4 mile and top speed cars, Light weight interior, streamlined body kit to reduce drag, livery according to tuner, spoon, mopar, Alpina, etc. Lightweight stage 2 required

Note:
not all of the kits are designed for top speed this is just an example, kit properties vary from tuning companies

Rally car Expensive. Suitable rear wing for downforce, lightweight body kit, most interior removed, Rally livery. Stage 2 weight reduction required

You choose specific kits for your car e.g.

Honda Civic (any current model)

Cup car: lightly tuned car.

Touring car: a more seriously modified civic, the civic BTCC would be a perfect example although there are probably GT300 cars which would also be of this standard.

Tuner car: A car civic built for power rather than lap times would go well with the tuner car kit, this would probably be similar to a spoon kit.

Rally car: While I haven't seen a Civic rally car there are no doubt many of them knocking about, so if you have tuned your civic with off-road in mind then this is the perfect kit.

GT/ super touring car: N/A the civics probably wouldn't have this kit since you are very unlikely to find a civic capable of these speeds.

Dodge Viper GTS:

Cup car: Would be a normal GT-S with a few stickers and a small rear wing.

Touring car:
N/A

GT/Super touring car: This would be the kit found in the GT series

Rally car: N/A

An additional special kit may be available for certain cars, e.g. a Silvia may have an a special drift kit.

A certain rally car may have a special Pikes peak style kit,

A car like the R390 road car may have a special LMP upgrade to make the car to a Le Mans standard.

These special kits may have Excessive prices that come with the kit but are unique to the car, or only available to a select group of cars.

That is what I would like to see as Race modifications in GT5.

All the above sounds very neat indeed. How about elaborating it further?
I would like to be able to mod a car for a certain set of rules, like ACO (GT1, GT2), JAF (GT300, GT500), S2000 (WTCC, IRC) and so on.

I would still rather choose my own kit piece by piece and simply have the options of making a GT car if I so choose from a pot of parts rather than a pre-selected combination. Custom decals and pain jobs would be nice to go in hand with that as well.

In terms of turning the car into a race car I'd like to see the option of widening the track, changing each body part individually, remounting the engine in cars where it's possible so you can move the engine lower and/or further back (in the case of a front engined car). This wouldn't be hard to do, it's simple maths for a computer to calculate the changes in weight distributions and the CoG when a part it relocated. I'd liek the option of engine and drivetrain swaps seperate from each other, chagng from engine a in your fwd car to engine b found in a 4wd car doesn' t mean you have to have 4wd if the engine and mounting position can accomodate rwd then you can have rwd or keep fwd etc. Also change your drivetrain while keeping your current engine, not always possible I know, but it cases where it is I'd like the option.

We could perhaps see body parts graded in the ammount of downforce they produce, lower level kits would be what you'd see on Junior Touring Cars and similar, very subtle spoilers and skirts and small wings etc. These wouldn't produce a lot of downforce at speeds but they do have an effect. Then you could have the kits go up in grading until you get to the GT style kits and then kits that offer parts like you see in unlimited class race cars like the Pikes Peak Escudo's. To make it intersting and to prevent you from just throwing any kit onto any car, you could tie the aero grading into the events, some events will only allow lower level body parts, some must have parts that conform to GT race cars grades. Irl aerodynamic restrictions are more complex than this, but it's one way to give each kit a purpose.

Ofcourse, within thoes graded kits there would be several diferent types of wing, front and rear bumpers and spoilers, skirts, more aerodynamic mirrors, you should be allowed to add intakes and out-takes onto your cars where you see fit. This is easier done than you might think, but if it seems too complicated for more people then you;d have a wider selection of parts with pre-determined intakes and out-takes. Ofcourse, these parts would all have an effect on your cars air distribution, cooling and aerodynamics.

Throw in options for underbody aerodynamics and that widening the track option to a custom paint and decal editor and you could turn some everyday cars into some pretty serious racing machines that would all be unique to you.

Dave, do we design Painjobs with PainShop Pro?

Thing is, cars of JGTC, DTM or GT1 caliber don't share much with their road syblings even under the skin, so I don't get why we can "upgrade" a normal roadcar to a full GT car. I can understand sports-kits, rally-kits and BTCC-style modifications, but even the DTM cars are Carbon-fiber monocoques with nothing but a general resemblance to the roadcar. So they can offer the roadcar, with in-depth modifying within a limit of performance, and offer, say, a chassis for the racecar beside it. They can't really offer you to modify a regular Corvette into the GT1-class C6R, nor can they offer a Mercedes C-class DTM modification. They can offer a BMW 320i BTCC-kit, or an imaginary DTM-spec chassis, but assuming BMW made a DTM-spec 3-series, it'd share northing, at least nothing which matters, with the 320i roadcar, or maybe even the 320i BTCC racer. Maybe with an M3, but again - nothing without serious race-prepping and tweaking.

I have to correct you somewhat, Gingiba. DTM and JGTC cars are shadowcars, but GT1 and GT2 cars have original parts. A GT1 car has an original chassis and the engine block and headers are also original. Everything else is in most cases modified though. GT2 cars have more things incommon with their roadgoing counterparts, for more info check out ACO´s rules of regulation. DTM cars have their roof and fenders in their original positions and wegiht IIRC, but that is about it.

And by the way, the stage 3 weight reduction in GT4 says that most body panels are changed to lightweight materials, such as carbon fibre. That is basically a GT2 spec car right there.

I agree with being able to choose your own parts for each section of the car. If they have different stages offered, then people will still have the possibility of having the same looking car whereas with individual parts, you can make a car like no one elses. Of course you can still have stages for people that dont want to mess around with individual parts or want to get racing right away.

GT2 had more than one racing modification for certain cars, like the skyline, some had 2 completely different designs, and one of them look more like a race car while the other looked like a cup car. 👍

For convertibles, t-tops, and targa tops, there should be an option of having the top up or down, which can be chosen when you choose your car in the garage. And when you choose up or down (for conv. tops) there could be a little clip showing the top going up or down so you could see how it actually works IRL.

For the race mod ideas above, I'm tending to side with DaveA. I like having options, variety and unique personality. As racerx510 posted above concerning Gran Turismo 2, it was really cool of Polyphony to provide choices in most race modifications. A few cars only had one livery, but a few have three to choose from if memory serves.

I'm hopeful that Polyphony gives us at least something of the real life racing leagues and cars race built to the rules in those leagues in GT5. I'd love to be able to create my own rosters of BTCC, DTM, SuperGT and whatever race cars, each with their own liveries, sponsor decals and number badges. My above post was rather vague as I'm not up on the various leagues and their rules. I'm much obliged to Team666 for the run down on the GT series specs. That was something I've been hunting for off and on but got nowhere doing. Of course in Gran Turismo, there can be quite a few ways we can hop up our cars.

There will always be the option of light upgrades here and there. In Forza, you can race your cars completely stock, or add the most minor of upgrades, such as sports spark plugs or a quicker clutch. I'm sure it'll still be that way in GT5. Kent and a few other mentioned something a step up, such as Tuner Modification. Take your car to Tuner Village and set their mechanics to work, and within moments you have a serious performance machine, just shy of racing specs.

But what I'm hoping to see is the return of Race Modification very badly. And not just a general race mod, but one that takes cars appropriate to various racing classes, and after you spend a ton of cash, at the end of it you get a car of a chosen racing class you can run against anything in GT5's professional racing rosters. And with liveries I design myself, and bodykits I select myself to make a unique race car that's all my own. That would rock so hard!

Dave, do we design Painjobs with PainShop Pro?
I'd assume it would be more like the paintshop in Forza 2, something built into the game not an external program.

Thing is, cars of JGTC, DTM or GT1 caliber don't share much with their road syblings even under the skin, so I don't get why we can "upgrade" a normal roadcar to a full GT car.
DTM cars, well current DTM cars are silhouettes, that is to say theat they resemble the road car slightly in looks but don't have to share any components. Some JGTC cars are silhouettes as well, though not all, cars like the factory NISMO GT-R's, NISMO Z's and Honda NSX-R GT500's are, but cars like the McLaren F1 that raced there arn't. GT1 race cars are built from the road cars chassis up, as are most GT classes around the world. Relatively few race series require a silhouette car to be competetive. Though Perhaps PD could include the option of building a silhouette, though that would take more thought than I am giving to this post. WRC, NGT, GT3, GT2, GT1, GTS, S2000, Group A, Group N etc are all racing classes where the cars are based on road going counterparts and require the road cars to holomogate the race cars.

I'm sure it's been noted by others but I just want to re-affirm something that is essential for GT5 (for me anyway). Dynamic environments.
So far the only thing that bothers me about everything I've seen from GTHD, GT5 Prologue etc are the circuits, the environment - it looks like GT4. Now I'm hoping it'll change before the game is released. And I assume it will. It's just that we've not seen anything yet that suggests the environment has been upgraded. Maybe at the TGS?
All I know is PGR4 has sumptuous looking environments. Can GT5 get close to that? I hope so, otherwise it'll just hurt the game if it looks too similar to GT4 sans cars.
I'm probably being impatient and it'll all come together fine.👍

Back