Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars?

• Thread starter Inkil
  • 4,066 comments
MC Cauley: the PD boys stop and look at this forum every now and then, so a physical suggestion list is unnecessary. besides, look at the page count. it would be as thick as the US tax regs manual :P

^ He was talking about the cars being closer together so they're easier to pass. But I definitely agree with the overly-long rolling start videos.

Which reminds me, if this hasn't been said yet, we need to be able to qualify for pole position.

I would really like to see a new view similar to in present in-car one. Think about it, when you are at home racing with your wheel, you don't want to see someone else’s wheel and hands. An in-car view where you can just see the side of the windshield, but not your own wheel.

sound. The sound of the car makes it very realistic. If you compare the engine/muffler sound of cars in NFS:Underground 2 to GT5, i think NFS:U2 is slightly better. You can hear the roar of the Subaru Boxter Engine, the Rotary in the RX7, the tremendous V8. Graphics are eye candy in GT5, but i think if they want to step it up a bit, I'd say the noise of the engine/mufflers would be amazing.

A formation lap? I would like to be in control of my car on the formation lap so I could warm the tires up, that would be useful indeed.
Saves me going off on the first corner on cold tires especially on super hards :).

I was thinking of something recently. It has to do with race length. "Consider everyone" is my motto in regards to features in GT. So I want you all to offer your thoughts:

I was thinking of adjusting the length of the race as a way for devoted gamers to do races. Here's how it works- those who are more casual will do mostly short distances. Shorter races means you'll get through the game faster as well as quickly make money should you win. However, more devoted gamers who choose full race lengths will take longer to complete the game. The deciding factor depends on how you want the race to pan out. Rather than laps, I choose a sportscar racing method in which how long laps last depend on time. "Sports Car GT" for the PC had an intricate plan. You start off in GTQ. The shortest amount of time for a race is about 10 minutes. I haven't an idea as to what the longest races will be like. Figuring out how long to make races depends entirely on the level of competition in each race as well as the tracks. Here is a little demonstration:

You race about six laps around Opera Paris with the DTM cars. That's good for about... 6-8 minutes. You race around the Nürburgring Nordschleife for 1 lap. That lasts about 6-8 minutes as well. Excluding endurances and "1000 Miles!", one should be able to race for any length of time depending upon your play level. A feature like this should allow for gamers to race as long as they like without having to feel like the race is already over. Think you can do 36 laps around Hong Kong in GT4's Gran Turismo World Championship? Set it for about double race distance. The highest multiplier for any race distance is 4x (maybe 5x) in my view. Be warned that with expanding a race further, pit stops become a huge priority in shaping out the race. We can then name race lengths by various length types (using some classic Sega arcade games as the basis):

1x = Normal (basic pre-determined length of time for races)
2x = Sprint Race
3x = Grand Prix
4x = Endurance (longest-possible race)
(if available) 5x = Super Endurance (longest overall possible race)

So pretend that a 10-lap race around Tokyo R246 takes 12 minutes to complete. By lengthening the race, this is what you'll end up with after adjusting race length:

1x = 10 laps in a 12min race
2x = 20 laps in a 24min race
3x = 30 laps in a 36min race
4x = 40 laps in a 48min race
(if available) 5x = 50 laps in a 1 hr, 08min race

Another aspect of adjusting race distances is that (and I'd like to see this be implemented) the fuel and tire wear issues become more realistic. I just thought of another game that allowed you to race with different lengths of time- "Le Mans 24 Hours." In fact, you could unlock lots of cars by racing Petit Le Mans and the 2000 Le Mans race at different race lengths.

To be fair, I wouldn't want to force people to do longer races. I mean, race to your level with the time you have. Don't be goaded into doing a much longer race than you can take part in. If you can do longer races, fine. Not required. I also wouldn't require that you complete one series in four different lengths of time. All endurances and certain championships would be exempt because there are already some set limits (unless you want a four-hour long F1 race).

What do you think of this feature? I was unsure whether to make this its own thread or post it in this thread. So I chose this thread. Your thoughts?

Maybe mentioned before, but a small detail that would be cool is if the number of spectators depended on what is going on at the track. For example on a time trial there should only be your crew in the pits and a few functionaries at the track, during a race with low power cars there should be a few spectators, and during a championship race with gt cars the grandstands are full.

The same with training, qualify and race. Training = a few, qualify = more and race = full.

Hope you get the idea! :)

128 pages of things people would like to see other then cars... hmm how about full game in our hands? :D

128 pages of things people would like to see other then cars... hmm how about full game in our hands? :D
Or a nurse to cure the pain of waiting so long for the full game..

jbs-nurse.jpg

i agree with JohnBM01 but a sprint race is shorter then a normal race, wich should be around 10 laps.

In the case of gt5p, now a normal race should be depending on track around 7 laps, a sprint race should be shorter just what we have now with 3 laps. i know it is not totally with your idea but the races we have now is something diffrent.
3 laps is too short no discussion about that;)
so they need to do some tweaking about that and yes we need an option to make races longer.

great idea i hope they will use it

ps. nice nurse

More realistic offroad effects: One thing I would like to see is a much bigger consequence for when you do go off the racing circuit into sandtrap. In a car thats very low to the ground (like Most Race cars are), you shouldn't be able to drive out of the sand trap unless only two wheels in the trap that aren't both front wheels.

Cautions: This would be yet another effect. While there may be no caution, getting stuck at a area thats deemed "safe" would instantly bring out a Full course Caution. If you just spun, it'd be a local yellow.

@PUTTE_TUTTE: Yesh, Me likes that:drool:

I'd like to see:
1. Skid marks!

2. Day and Night / Weather changes

3. Optical Tunning / Exterior tunning. ( adding rear diffusers, front spliters, canards, wings, decals and such, JDM bodykits and making these functional as well not just for looks! These parts do significant improvements for handling, downforce and looks! ! ! ! ) (Bodykits like, Ings +1, Zero Sports, Veilside, JDM aero parts makers like those)

4. More rims: Names like Advan, Rota, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, SSR, Enkei more wheels! ! ! And if possible letting the player choose the size and how wide you want the wheels! ! ! cause size and wideness are important for handling characteristics!

5. And probably the one Id like the most! When you change your exhaust on the car LET THERE BE AN OPTION TO CHOOSE A MUFFLER! ! ! Like if you buy and exhaust from HKS or Amuse for example let there be a menu to let you choose mufflers styles from those names. Id like to see that instead of the classical I bought a racing exhaust and I get the sound and the power but i have to stick to looking at the darn stock muffler. If I buy an HKS muffler give me a menu with HKS mufflers to choose and install! ! ! ! Please PD PLEASE! ! ! ! !

Last edited:
I use "Normal Race" because it's the normal length of races in GT games. Three laps around Autumn Ring for the Sunday Cup is normal length in my nomenclature. Twelve or fifteen laps around the same track in the same championship is the longest-possible event. You just choose how long you want races heading into each championship. Or for single races, just adjust how long you want to race. It's something I was thinking of.

Now as for nursing for a cure for the full game, don't worry about me. I still don't have a PS3 or have played GT5P. So I'm not worried one bit about not being able to play GT5 as soon as possible.

Nice thinking PuTTe_TuTTE ..................:)

It would nice to see some Time Attack events in GT5, more like side missions then anything major. You enter a competition at a track with other cars of similar power to weight ratios just like in GT4 and you have to have the fastest lap. Say you were given three laps to get your quickest time and at the end of the three laps, a winner is decided by the quickest laptimes and a small prize is awarded. There is something like it in GT4, I forget what it is exactly called (Race Day, Race Practice etc) and you can compete to get the fastest lap but without any prizes, its more like a practice session.

There are many things I'd like to see in GT5, and much of these have already been mentionned, but there is no doubt in my mind the focus has to be put on damage modelling, much better AI and new real life race tracks.

Plus, I just hope they'll get rid of the ridiculous B-Spec mode. Seriously, this has to be the worst thing to ever happen to GT. GT is dubbed "The real driving simulator", not " The real I let a lousy AI that can't take a corner drive for me simulator". If you don't like to drive yourself, go get a WII, simple as that.

And I really hope they don't get lousy on providing us a complete and diversified GT mode with many exciting eventsand Good AI just because they focus more on online play.

I'll soon post a list of events I'd put in GT5 with rules, venues, format, car lineups, etc as soon as i finish working on it.

There are many things I'd like to see in GT5, and much of these have already been mentionned, but there is no doubt in my mind the focus has to be put on damage modelling, much better AI and new real life race tracks.
To be honest, as far as damage goes I really like the damage model on GTA4, it isn't perfect but it is quite realistic in various aspects.

Plus, I just hope they'll get rid of the ridiculous B-Spec mode. Seriously, this has to be the worst thing to ever happen to GT. GT is dubbed "The real driving simulator", not " The real I let a lousy AI that can't take a corner drive for me simulator". If you don't like to drive yourself, go get a WII, simple as that.

I wouldn't care if they got rid of B-spec, but ONLY if they add mid-race saves. Otherwise I would never finish the game due to the 24hr(and the like) races.

Skid marks.
Damage.
Better AI.
Better engines for reflections and textures around the car, like improving the textures for the leaves.
Weather.
Better controls for photomode/replay (a la Halo 3)
Radio for race director
Showing how you change the tires on the Nike 2022 (heh, I always wanted to see how that was like.)
Giving hypothetical names to the drivers with the names over them to identify with them(a la Forza Motorsport 2)
Aerodynamics (Seriously, a '80 Renault going 200? Not gonna have it.)
Maybe something more than just a 'LOL YOU WON THIS TROPHY B HAPPY W/ THIS CAR 2!, like the anthem playing for the winner's country at some sort of really important race (like a 24 hr. indurance).
And one more thing. NO MORE AIR-BARRIERS. Instead of air barriers, let us go out the map, at the cost of our race. (If it was free run, let us go out anyways and make us fall off and restart completly if we wander too far)

One thing i'd love to see is 'Track Damage'. There are two ways of looking at this.

1. If a car hits an object (pit wall for example) then that object should be damaged.

2. Say your competing in an endurance race and someone's tire bursts (hopefully thats in) and they end up with a bare rim... the bare rim should "grind" into the road and cause visible damage to the track.

Last edited:
a proper victory celebration

ms2000-japangp-champagne.jpg
He'd better be closing his eyes pretty damn tightly!

Track damage would be great, but tracks in GT have always been brutally static, so I'm not holding my breath. Hell, I even have to pray that you'll be able to play any track in any weather condition at any time of day in GT5, something other racing games have been doing for a while.

I forgot to mention in my last post a very simple, yet extremely important thing:

A good ol' analogic speedo and RPM meter just like it was in GT2 and 3.

God it's awful to drive manual with that GT4 digital RPM:yuck:

This may already be in here , I may have missed it in the multitude of pages,but here I go :

A learning curve for the noobs.

After PSN registry , you will have to go through a learning curve , limited to the amount of track time you put in and how well you perform.After so much track time ,you can move up into another class,after more advanced track time you can move up again , and so on. This just for learning on-line conditions and the tracks and getting the feel of racing with real people rather than AI . I think this will help a person to become a better racer.The problem is that too many people get the game,go pump up a car and go racing without a clue of what is going on ( they are new at this,we gotta cut them some slack ) we were all new at this in one point in time - remember ? . After their trial period they are free to roam and race where they want . I know this seems harsh to a noobie , but how else can we get them into a good on-line racing attitude ?
But would you define an online "Novice" - the people that decide to try and complete the game offline first, myself included, before playing on PSN - would they have to start off just driving in the slowest classes on the noob tracks too?

I just thought of something while looking this over again (I agree with the skid marks idea). some of us like to night race. I'd like to see a day/night switch ability. for some of us, it's the only way we'll ever get to see an older car lit up like it was commonly being used, rather than sitting pretty in a garage or Parking Lot.

As we can expect GT5 to be a massive game, I´d like to see several different ways to finish the game;
Amateur mode - Races are shorter (a championship race is 5 laps, all endurance-races one third of pro length, IE the 24hrs races are 8 hrs) and AI not full on. Tyresimulation off, and damage off. You still get to run all events and win all cars but one, that is exclusive to pro mode.
Pro - Full length races (championship races are true to real life length, IE touringcars = about 15 laps, GT and prototype cars 2hrs, all endurances full length. This of course means mid-race saves, and ability to change oil and setup, and also perform repairs, during the race.) Full simulation. I´d also like to implement Patrik´s idea of warningflags.

- Real racing series in GT Mode (SuperGT, DTM, LMS, etc.)
- Return of GT1-style Turbo adjustments to change to increase/decrease boost power depending on the track or HP restrictions
- Engine swaps
- Hypothetical settings for GT Original tracks like Grand Valley, Apricot Hill etc. that aren't based on real locales (random, I know, but it'd be fun to see)
- Ability to put Turbo/SC on more than just, like, 10 Naturally Aspirated cars
- Choice of tire manufacturers when installing upgraded tires
- More effective weight reduction - particularly for heavier cars like the DB9 and SL55, as they still weighed as much as a stock Corvette Z06 in GT4 even with Stage 3 reductions.
- Ability to choose between open and closed top for Free Runs, Photo Mode etc. when driving a convertible (e.g. SC430, MX-5, Z4)
- Actually being able to see the front spoiler that comes with buying a new rear wing from GT Auto
- Arcade mode returning to old-style car classification, C-B-D-A-S-R not the "AI Setting" from GT4 which is a pain to use effectively

Seems like they'd be able to incoporate top up and down options since they are modeling all the interiors now.

Back