Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars?

• Thread starter Inkil
  • 4,066 comments
I just had to read few random pages.. and seems it coevers everything I want in the game other then cars!

Hoping that they are not spending a majority of their time and resources on modeling damage. Especially if certain car manufactures will not allow it. There is so much more that they could and should do that would really add tons to the series. The two biggest things for me would be customer liveries (paint jobs etc.
) maybe not to extent of some others. Hopefully ability to turn your street car in to a race car by gradual tuning. The other thing that they really need to focus on is car match ups in races. Meaning they should strive to create or allow players to create races that would produce close and exciting races. This means for online we must have the ability to choose from lots of options on setting up the race. With a huge amount of cars and enough tracks and race options GT5 should neve be in danger of loosing out to the direct competitors.

- A special button! I don't think nitrous is fair... so the button should be utilized for other things. In a vast majority of cars, it would activate the automatic convertible top... however, in other cars, i.e. the BMW M5, the button could serve as a switch for normal mode to M mode, and back again.
- Skidmarks (doesn't everybody?).
- The option for MANUAL pitting & pit driving.
- The pace car leading the whole field out for a lap, like real life
- Day, night, & also weather changes.
- +1 to the engine starting sound suggestion.
- Warning flags.
- Faster pit crew! Honestly, in GT4 it just doesn't seem like they're trying.
- When you're in the pits, very detailed crew members swarming aorund your car.

I can visualize most of these at once... imagine the Le Mans 24 Hours. It's a damn exciting event... in GT4, it was fairly un-exciting. The only other thing different from any other race was the length and an aerobatics crew flying over.

However, in my visualization of LeMans in GT5... it's 4PM. You're in the pits, with manual pit driving on. You're sitting in the driving seat of a beautiful Jaguar XJR9, in cockpit view, and outside your windows you can see mechanics running around, taking tyre pressures, and making final adjustments. Then, all of a sudden, everybody in the pits walks out to the grid, leaping over barriers, leaving you and the other cars standing, bar a few pit crew. The engine start light above your pit flashes ON. You press the engine start button, as well as all the other cars ahead and behind you... there is a deafening roar that is so loud, it makes your speaker crackle. You glance to your left, and you see that familiar black and red Nissan Skyline drive by, lights flashing. You remember that very car from when you got your license, but that doesn't matter now. You all pull out into single file, keeping your positions, as per the rules. On the drive to get out of the pits, that seems to take forever, yet only lasts around 10 seconds, you see the rear of the Mercedes Sauber C9 out of your front window, and in the rear view you see the Dodge Viper Team Oreca.

You finally get onto the track, and it's an amazing sight as all the cars on the grid (hopefully more than six this time) are swerving about, warming thier tyres on the warm-up lap, in your rear view mirror and ahead. You swerve around with them, trying to get the highest possible temperature. Finally, after lapping the whole of the circuit at 50mph, warming your tires, you pull into your grid position and the car turns silent as you turn the engine off. Those mechanics who you saw about ten minutes ago come back, about 400 or so, swarming around their respective cars. Then, after about 2 minutes, a loud buzzer can be heard. All the mechanics swarm back towards the pits (exactly like in the GT4 intro, as the white Ford GT pulls out), leaving the cars on the grid...

Then, suddenly, your hear a bassy rumble as the Nissan pace car starts it's engine. The announcer, over the commentary PA, shouts "drivers, start your engines!", and then a deafening roar as all the engines on the grid roar to life. The pace car pulls away, as do you and the others, for the final guided lap. You swerve around still, trying to get max temperature... in your right and left mirrors you see a Pescarolo and an Aston DBR9 respectively. After what seems like an age, you get to the pit entrance... the pace car pulls in... you're on your own now. On the field, alone, with these snarling automotive beasts. You maintain the speed given to you, as the rolling start begins. However, when you reach the start/finish straight... you see the marshal waving that tricolour flag, and it's once again a deafening roar as all cars apply full throttle and skidmarks are left from each car. Motion blur sets in. This is the long haul... 24 hours. Actual race started at 4:20PM.

Later on, at about midnight, it starts to rain on the straight... you see rain mist in front of the headlights, and rain droplets spatter in the windscreen and rush upwards. Beautiful lighting at night effect, and beautiful rain effects, and a screaming race car blazing at 200mph. Even over the howling engine you can hear the droplets spatter the windscreen.

Morning eventually comes... you're currently running in first place, however that strangely doesn't seem to matter... you're just taking in the atmosphere. Beautiful sunrise, birds chirping (although you won't be able to hear 'em!), slight dampness on the track from the 20 minutes or so of rain you had last night... a beautiful morning scene.

Later yet, it's 4:20PM. The sun shines as it did yesterday, and through the morning, lap after lap, you notice more fans coming back to the stands as they return from their tents to the stands. Now, though, at the 24 hour mark, they're all there, and they're cheering for you. You've won the Le Mans 24 Hours... you have a nice cool-off lap, then pull into the pits for the billionth time... you stop in your pit, and your mechanics pummel your bodywork in celebration.

That's my vision of what GT5 should be like :sly:

- A special button! I don't think nitrous is fair... so the button should be utilized for other things. In a vast majority of cars, it would activate the automatic convertible top... however, in other cars, i.e. the BMW M5, the button could serve as a switch for normal mode to M mode, and back again.

Definitely, nitrous was a horrible addition to GT4, the button could have better uses!

Yeah bring back NOS!! But I hope they charge credits to refill after each race if you want from the TUNE options. As well make races to specify if NOS can or can not be used.

In a vast majority of cars, it would activate the automatic convertible top...

You do know there is a speed limit at which a car can activate the closing of its roof, right? Probably under 30mph. Completely pointless in a racing game.

- The option for MANUAL pitting & pit driving.

I can imagine this being a difficult thing to implement. What if you ran over one of the pit crew? A lot of people would play about with it to see what they can do if they do x in the pit lane.

You do know there is a speed limit at which a car can activate the closing of its roof, right? Probably under 30mph. Completely pointless in a racing game.

Especially those which you have to fold away manually :P

I can imagine this being a difficult thing to implement. What if you ran over one of the pit crew? A lot of people would play about with it to see what they can do if they do x in the pit lane.

Yep, agreed. I for one, would be one of those sadistic bastards who plow through my pit crew at the maximum possible speed;250mph at highspeed ring (forwards) in GT4 for example...

Don't apologise for an opinion, after all forums are nothing without opinions. Just pointing out the feasibility of it.

It would be a good idea for when you select a car in the garage though. You could choose between top up and top down, or t-top/targa on/off a la NFS High Stakes.

I think tire Selection could be abit more specific when trying to find what to put on your car.

Specific Brand Tires: Instead of just selecting from the generac choices, I'd like to see more specific tires like Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for my Audi TT-R or Firestone Firehawks for my Reynard 991.

Specific Tyre types: I also would like more then the generac hards and Mediums or softs, I'd like Soft slicks, or Stickers and for rainy tracks, Intermediates or Full wets.

And for good measure:
Region Free Online play:While I know people have purchased region specific copies of GT, I would rather like to play friends from Asia or europe without having to use a copy specifically for that region.

I loved Nitrous for my drag cars.

GT is a track racing game, it'd annoy the hell out of me if nitrous returned it's more trouble than its worth. Proving you didn't use nitrous on certain records, putting up with the n00bs online that will use it, wasting a button for it that could be better used. We only ever used it for drag racing (it was unrealistically annoying in top speed runs, how many times do we talk of a car's top speed using nitrous?), and drag racing was a small part of the game that didn't even involve a competitor.

GT is a track racing game, it'd annoy the hell out of me if nitrous returned it's more trouble than its worth. Proving you didn't use nitrous on certain records, putting up with the n00bs online that will use it, wasting a button for it that could be better used. We only ever used it for drag racing (it was unrealistically annoying in top speed runs, how many times do we talk of a car's top speed using nitrous?), and drag racing was a small part of the game that didn't even involve a competitor.

Well give me proper drag tyres and options to run more boost (and not just for Japanese cars and with possiblity of engine/drivetrain damage) and I will be more than happy to loose Nitrious. I want to run 7's in a twin turbo LS1 Monaro. :D

As for using it during races, I hope with custom servers you have the option to block nitrious use, I agree it would be stupid.

Well give me proper drag tyres and options to run more boost (and not just for Japanese cars and with possiblity of engine/drivetrain damage) and I will be more than happy to loose Nitrious. I want to run 7's in a twin turbo LS1 Monaro. :D

As for using it during races, I hope with custom servers you have the option to block nitrious use, I agree it would be stupid.

Agree'd with all of it. Except I don't really want long term damage in GT5. Realistic or not it's still a game, and power loss in GT4 was really annoying.

if they do put damage cars in this game, then you should have to pay to have your car worked on at the body shop if you crash in the race. And the more you damage your car in races ( even after you fixed it ) the less unstable the car becomes in fast straight aways and corners untill you pay out a high amount of money to have the whole chasis redone in the body shop.

Agree'd with all of it. Except I don't really want long term damage in GT5. Realistic or not it's still a game, and power loss in GT4 was really annoying.

Yeah, I don't want it permanent like in GT4, I hated that. but it would be nice to blow a headgasket, melt a piston, ruin a clutch, break a gearbox etc etc when you abuse or push a engine/drivetrain too far for too long. :D (which you can repair)

Yeah, I don't want it permanent like in GT4, I hated that. but it would be nice to blow a headgasket, melt a piston, ruin a clutch, break a gearbox etc etc when you abuse or push a engine/drivetrain too far for too long. :D (which you can repair)

Yes. Like you'd have to pay for services and engine rebuilds etc every so often and if you don't then you start to get unexpected problems mid-race.:D

i would like to see all of the available tracks in multiplayer mode. also more tracks around the world. this is probably off topic as it is about cars, but i would like to see many different models of the same cars like how they have many different year and models of like the gtr and rx-7s. although most people say to get rid of it i think having all of these cars is just better.. for me... also i would like to see more tracks from around the world and since i am a drifting and touge mountain racing fan i would like to see some mountain tracks and drift style course layouts, such as mount haruna, pikes peak, and other great mountain roads for mountain tracks and maybe like the tsukuba d1gp layout, suzuka d1gp layout going backwards, and maybe some formula d track layouts. also i completely agree with having track temperature changes, weather changes, day to night to day changes, and the others stated in gt5. this would definately be nice but i doubt it will all be in gt5.
adding real body kits/ wide body kits would be nice. if i own a supra, i would like to have the veilside fortune widebody kit, it looks really nice too, and say if im drifting i would like a body kit that would allow me to get air as much air as i can in past the front bumper. i would like to see engine swaps also and have it range from all different companies and not only limited to the same company, like it is in forza as far as i think i know. it would be nice to drift a s15 with a rb26dett from the r32, r33, or r34 gtr, or it would be fantastic having a rx7 with a rb26dett or a 2jzgtte. also with having engine swaps, of course it is necessary to be able to tune the engine as if your tuning it right on the gtr or supra and not like your tuning a sr20det, as in gt4 a s15 would get only a stage 3 turbo, correct me if im wrong as i dont quite remember well, and if it is fitted with a rb26dett it should be able to get up to stage 4 turbo. if wanted, you might also just want to tune a car to have more power but you cant just put any engine in any car as it wont always fit. its like trying to fit a veyrons engine into a cappucchino, is that spelt correctly? also i read somewhere that physical apperance should be affected with the tuning. if i remember correctly in gt4 it wasnt affected on all the tuning, only the suspension settings would have changed the physical appearance and not the engine tuning, such as adding an exhaust.

Last edited:
I would like to see more in the engine tuning department. Being able to fully tune your motor on a dyno like in real life. Controlling boost, timming, compression ratios of pistons. WHile montering A/f ratio, exhuast temp, ect. With the tuning also have down sides of blown motors when not done correctyl and when running high boost have the engine wear out to were it needs to rebuilt.

I would like to see more in the engine tuning department. Being able to fully tune your motor on a dyno like in real life. Controlling boost, timming, compression ratios of pistons. WHile montering A/f ratio, exhuast temp, ect. With the tuning also have down sides of blown motors when not done correctyl and when running high boost have the engine wear out to were it needs to rebuilt.

although that level of detail i think is awesome, it wouldnt appeal to the average joe racer... im sure they will keep it as simple as its always been...

This level of tuning for Gran Turismo (or any game really) has been a dream of mine for a long time now, I can't see it happening for a while though.

I'd like to see a proper bloody handbrake. The current GT4 handbrake takes way too much time to get the rear to swing around... handbraking & sliding around the last two haripins at Costa di Amalfi is fairly frustrating, and it shouldn't be down to luck. And driving round "properly" - i.e. no sliding - takes too long...

Come on Kaz, how are we to employ advanced driving techniques if we can't properly use the handbrake? It's not just for holding the car on a hill, you know :sly:

And, also, let us assign any button on the controller to any function we want... I hardly ever use the paddles behind the wheel, favouring instead the stick... it's a waste keeping the paddles as "secondary gears" when they could be better employed as glance left/right.

You can assign any button on the controller to any function or not?

All i want (beside the typical stuff mentioned 10 billion times) is the photomode back (i bet was mentioned before too) with new effects like in WipEout HD for example.

Well, you can assign certain buttons, but the paddles are strictly for gears... if anyone can tell me how to configure them, please do :dunce:

And I think Photomode is a dead cert - there is already a GT5:P photo gallery on here, I think.

PD spoke about costomize interior of car and i hope will be wonderful... if you look accurately to gt5p in Concept by GranTurismo there are car name with "/TUNED"... and if you think the interior of the car are modified... a part that is modified is also the rear wing (like gt4) and a little spoiler in the front for some car that gain the possibility to have downforce in front... for me you will have the possibility to choose also seatbelt to had rollbar and such a things to make more racing your car visible than in old gt series where they only show a object's photo in reduce weight but invisible inside the car cuz the power of ps2 were ugly....

sorry for my english, i'm italian...:)

another thing is damage surely...

and in the section to wash the car i want more dust in car, like in front rims that must be darker than rear one.... thare are many small things to wish but they would make this game the huge real driving simulator ever....

Dirt: As mentioned above, better dirt and grime would be excellent. Build up of road dust and muck on the front, brake dust on the rims, things like that - especially on the off road driving stages. I want my Impreza to be covered in dirt or snow, and it won't come off until I get it cleaned... if left dirty it would show up in the Home screen even, and can be carried to the next race.

Interior: Another thing mentioned by RAVELLRON - interior customization. Say I bought a new car out of a showroom... it should come totally stock - seatbelts, tires (look below), trim, everything. And when I modify, the mods should show up. If I strip out the interior with weight reduction, that should show... the seat would be replaced by a racing seat with harnesses should I modify it, if I fit a racing steering wheel that should show up.

Suits: I think that, with the added cockpit detail of GT5, we should have a racing suit editor, with helmets, suits, boots, etc.

Since the TG track is going to be included, we could have a special Stig suit, with Simpson diamondback helmet. And another cool thing would be colour customization, visor colour/tint, choose open face or full face, balaclava colour, stuff like that.

Tires: Something that's always confused me in GT4 is that the car is supplied, supposedly from a normal showroom, with sports tires ready fitted? The game claims "feel free to buy normal road tires, to experience the car in it's factory spec"...

...well, why doesn't it come with those tires out of the factory then? If anything you should have to drive with road tires, then buy the sports tires... I hope they fix this in GT5.

Last edited:
Back