Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,942 comments
zjn
Some confirmation about tyre temp. It takes about one lap, at least for me, to get in the window.

View attachment 1396198

I actually didn't test what happens if one restarts. I guess it restarts from cold tyres, but cannot proof it with this.
Front left peaks are always related to the long right semi-circle turn.

@Tidgney, out of curiosity, if you are willing to share...
the telemetry of your record lap also starts from cold tyre temp. Is it really what you did, or it's another wrinkle of the telemetry shown by GT7 in replays?
From all the testing I've done after lap 3 the car becomes slower but it's weird (I think). So I think you get more slip on the colder tyres which allows the theoritcal lap to be quicker because Gran Turismo is very much the understeer simulator so you can get more rotation when they are colder. As they warm up you end up with more grip and in that situation it understeers more but has more grip on exit.

zjn
Some confirmation about tyre temp. It takes about one lap, at least for me, to get in the window.

View attachment 1396198

I actually didn't test what happens if one restarts. I guess it restarts from cold tyres, but cannot proof it with this.
Front left peaks are always related to the long right semi-circle turn.

@Tidgney, out of curiosity, if you are willing to share...
the telemetry of your record lap also starts from cold tyre temp. Is it really what you did, or it's another wrinkle of the telemetry shown by GT7 in replays?
Yeah I agree with your statement that it takes around a lap, sometimes 2, to get the tyres up to temperature. I have also found that after anywhere from 4-6 laps you start to lose performance due to your tyre temps getting too hot. Perhaps it is as @Tidgney says and you have more grip which results in more understeer.

For me I have found that RH tyres start to lose performance once they get over 90degC.
RM is around 85-88degC and RS is even less again at around 85degC.

Myself, I still find that I get my best performance on that first lap. I can run multiple laps in a stint to the point where I cannot keep up with the ghost anymore, will then restart and on cold tyres beat the ghost easily.

Another 45 minutes at St Croissant, another 4 tenths improvement, yay! :dopey:

1728772679151.png

This is much better than what I could have hoped for going into this TT, so normally I could happily move on ... if it weren't for the dangling carrot that is the optimal time which I am sure PD have implemented out of pure evilness. So look at this:

1728772831871.png

The funny thing is that my PB (see lap below) is actually faster than this optimal in every single sector except S5, which I blew completely (24.894). So if I do the math, it could have been a low 2:39.6xx. 😱

So yeah, I can't leave like that, can I?

Back