Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,702 comments
Oh my God !!!! You have become an alien !!!!!😱😱😱😱 We can help you get over it and become a normal person !!!! I mean like us !!!🤣🤣🤣
I wish you a good holiday in the South of France. Are you going to the Côte d'Azur or rather to the South-West? Because I live in the Basque Country (South-West) near Biarritz
🤣🤣 each summer we go to Le Grau de Roi just below Montpellier, but that also means that u have to miss out on 2 tt's 😭😅

Normally I'm nowhere near top 100, more top 1000, but this one just felt good I quess 😅
But had to do quite some km's for it 😉

The Valkyrie I'm glad if I even finish top 1000 I think, I'll put in some work this week and see what it brings 😁

Watkins ended up near top 2000 (1:54.636) for me, which I am quite happy with.
354096700_994908884969243_2004378719953807156_n.jpg

As this thread has several improving stories and couple very fast players I was wondering if some of you can watch the replay of my WG lap and give some general feedback on where I lose time. I know toe corner was pretty bad on this lap, but looking for more general insight into my driving style weaknesses.

I've also had a bit more time during the weekend to improve on the current TTs to secure golds.
Brands Hatch - not enjoying it too much. Heavy road car that makes me feel sorry for all the sea sick guys trying it out.
Finished with a 1:41.463, 2.5% away from the top times which seems to be where I usually end up.
354080935_958780018662312_860712497075852446_n.jpg

Jumped into the Valkyrie next. Remapped my boost button from R3 to L1, which is much more comfy to hold for me.
Very much enjoying this combination, set a 1:18.478 so far. Apart from jumping on the throttle too hard at times, I think the biggest struggle for me are the track limits on this one. Do you know a resource like a map that shows where exactly these are for different tracks? T1 and the last two turns are where I usually don't know whether I was fine or not.
354073142_805690247613419_4831900854187888220_n.jpg

Normally I'm nowhere near top 100, more top 1000, but this one just felt good I quess 😅
But had to do quite some km's for it 😉

The Valkyrie I'm glad if I even finish top 1000 I think, I'll put in some work this week and see what it brings 😁
that's what i was saying !!!! 🤣🤣 You become an alien !!!! 👽👽👽
Like what the efforts pay off by dint of driving. Well done my friend !!!!💪💪💪💪👏👏👏👏:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Watkins ended up near top 2000 (1:54.636) for me, which I am quite happy with.
View attachment 1269964

As this thread has several improving stories and couple very fast players I was wondering if some of you can watch the replay of my WG lap and give some general feedback on where I lose time. I know toe corner was pretty bad on this lap, but looking for more general insight into my driving style weaknesses.

I've also had a bit more time during the weekend to improve on the current TTs to secure golds.
Brands Hatch - not enjoying it too much. Heavy road car that makes me feel sorry for all the sea sick guys trying it out.
Finished with a 1:41.463, 2.5% away from the top times which seems to be where I usually end up.
View attachment 1269965

Jumped into the Valkyrie next. Remapped my boost button from R3 to L1, which is much more comfy to hold for me.
Very much enjoying this combination, set a 1:18.478 so far. Apart from jumping on the throttle too hard at times, I think the biggest struggle for me are the track limits on this one. Do you know a resource like a map that shows where exactly these are for different tracks? T1 and the last two turns are where I usually don't know whether I was fine or not.
View attachment 1269966

You have a steady lap there on WG, like @Lomic says, I think you can use (or abuse) 🤣 some more curb on multiple corners and maximize the T1 exit on the tracklimits due to the straight, but you lines , brakepoints and throttle input seems quite nice, nice lap 😁

I don't know how to code, but in researching how to scrape I saw lots of references to people using scripts to scrape, so that would be the one area where I'd be grateful for help. I use the free version of the scraping tools and they limit how much you can scrape, which means it takes me a fair while and with lots of intervention.
I'll send you a DM

For the people who think this came easy for me.....naaah... I fought for it for 2372 km that's 1474 miles ....
1:39.906
Holy crap that’s an amazing time! Feel sorry for whoever you probed to get your alien status, but good for you! Especially with a controller!
Also, holy crap that’s a ton of miles!!!!!! Shows with perseverance and patience comes reward. I thought the one time I put 1000 miles in was excessive. Lol

Guys, I'm pleased to announce that now, we, plebeian D-Pad users, can now match those wheel user aliens.

I started the Valkyrie TT today, and first of all, this car is handful at slow speed corners due to how much traction control (throttle) you need to have to get out of those corners without wheelspinning into space, but, it's one heck of a fun car to drive. Beats out any other Track Day Hypercar (FXXK, P1 GTR, Zonda R, Vulcan) by a mile... This car is basically equal to some of the Gr.1 cars, and surely faster than any Gr.2 car.

As for my time? See for yourselves:

View attachment 1269775

Yes... 18th in the world. I couldn't believe it, but I've also read the patch notes and apparently, the controller sensitivity has been re-worked, and I guess that's why the Dualsense feels so much sharper in the slow speed corners in particular. Hopefully PD lets it stay this way. If I can put up a time like this, then the Alien D-Pad users are probably right up there with the wheel monsters.

Only 1 tenth away from the top 10 and only 0.5% / 4 tenths off the time of aliens like Drumont... I'll try to improve it further even.
Nice. I did notice the same. I did some driving with a controller last night when my feet were tired for standing many hours at a music festival. On Tarmac it felt really good now. But on dirt at Fisherman's ranch it was sketchier than before. Controller sensitivity I use at 1, but for dirt I lowered it to -1, felt better with the slight steering deadzone.

Do you know a resource like a map that shows where exactly these are for different tracks? T1 and the last two turns are where I usually don't know whether I was fine or not.
The red and white curbs are part of track limits. Depending on the turn (like the entry to turn 1), you can cheese it pretty hard.

The not-so-straightforward one is the exit from turn 1, due to the long, yellow sausage curb. If your right wheels get on that curb, you'll likely get a penalty, but there are times where you can get away with it.

Man, I feel like all I've said for ages now is "I can't be bothered/arsed". The last TT I actually really enjoyed and wanted to keep trying on as it ended was Nürburgring 24h in Gr.3 back in early/mid May.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, if you're loving them all but many I'm just doing because I "have to". With a few exceptions I'm very uninspired since about March.

Several recent ones I think were quite awful and struggled with inspiration at have been:

21: Alphard @ Autopolis
22 Radical @ DT Gardens
23: Alfa Giulia GTAm @ Red Bull Ring
28: Fugu @ Streets of Willow
30: Audi TTS Coupé @ Tsukuba
32 Gr.4 @ Watkins Glen

Adding Genesis "The sailor boat" G70 at Brands Hatch into the list above, giving up on that one now with a terrible last corner and 1:40.197. Really cannot be bothered to keep driving this thing beyond ~250 kms.

Now onto Valkyrie which is a car I'm excited to drive. Only issue being it's on the awful Red Bull Ring. Alright, Mr. Negative out for now. Excuse me with this being such a positive thread usually.

Last edited:
Man, I feel like all I've said for ages now is "I can't be bothered/arsed". The last TT I actually really enjoyed and wanted to keep trying on as it ended was Nürburgring 24h in Gr.3 back in early/mid May.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, if you're loving them all but many I'm just doing because I "have to". With a few exceptions I'm very uninspired since about March.

Several recent ones I think were quite awful and struggled with inspiration at have been:

21: Alphard @ Autopolis
22 Radical @ DT Gardens
23: Alfa Giulia GTAm @ Red Bull Ring
28: Fugu @ Streets of Willow
30: Audi TTS Coupé @ Tsukuba
32 Gr.4 @ Watkins Glen

Adding Genesis "The sailor boat" G70 at Brands Hatch into the list above, giving up on that one now with a terrible last corner and 1:40.197. Really cannot be bothered to keep driving this thing beyond ~250 kms.

Now onto Valkyrie which is a car I'm excited to drive. Only issue being it's on the awful Red Bull Ring. Alright, Mr. Negative out for now. Excuse me with this being such a positive thread usually.
You're not alone. Most TTs, rather, basically the ones that involve slow road cars or anything below Gr.3 I put mostly about 50-70km onto them just to get a gold time good enough to stand for 1-2 weeks.

The Fugu at Streets of Willow was the worst combo for me. Really couldn't be arsed to put any effort on that one. Hate the track, and it was the first time I drove it in reverse, which I hate it even more now.

The Alphard at Autopolis was also one of the worsts... Because the Chase Cam which is the one I use, is literally impossible to see the front of the track with that car. Why does PD not allow us to use the Chase Cam higher up?
It was the only time I've used the Hood Cam to put up a lap on any TT.

EDIT:

Ok, I think this TT is my one chance to be on a top 10:

And given my best Sector 1 time is 18.300 and my best Sector 2 time is a 23.398 ... A 1:16.7XX is possible. My Sector 2 time on this lap was almost perfect though, first time I ever dipped into the 34s mark and I can't see myself improving it any more.

20230702_183717.jpg

20230702_183709.jpg

Last edited:
Put in some time on both TT today.

I couldn't say for sure how many attempts I had at BH, but my last attempt was close to gold. So I was going to go until I carved out a 1:41.xxx ... Luckily it didn't take all day.

18917bf7c5856-screenshotUrl.jpg

At the RBR, this would be my first time behind the wheel of the ludicrous Valkyrie. 11 laps and just a hair outside silver.

18917c0512884-screenshotUrl.jpg

If ever there was a sign to stop where I’m at for the week, matching my time to my name by hitting a .666 seems like it.
Was my best single session optimal yet and I hit it. Though tracking through multiple sessions has me a few tenths lower, the likelihood of stringing them together is very slim.
This was with TC1 and shifting normally. I found early shifting to 4th with TC on was actually slowing me down and had no hope of being fast and consistent without TC.
IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8759.jpeg

If ever there was a sign to stop where I’m at for the week, matching my time to my name by hitting a .666 seems like it.
Was my best single session optimal yet and I hit it. Though tracking through multiple sessions has me a few tenths lower, the likelihood of stringing them together is very slim.
This was with TC1 and shifting normally. I found early shifting to 4th with TC on was actually slowing me down and had no hope of being fast and consistent without TC.
View attachment 1270112
View attachment 1270113
Thats a nice time!

I totally feel your consistantly problem without TCS, it is so hard to put the power down out of the hairpin without it, and each time i do it it has a different outcome, but i have the feeling TCS slows me down to much?, i just haven't figured it out yet what is the best way for me lol.
Fastest lap in first stint was without TCS but can't get below 18 for now, i need @djolliea smoothness..

I haven't got that much time during the week this time so prob can do some longer stints during next weekend.

Crazy track and crazy car..... :lol:

Aliens are battling it out on the Red Bull Ring as expected, but the improvements are starting to get smaller and smaller. I'm safe until a 1:16.202, it's going to be tight
I’m sitting on a 1:18.4, was hoping it’d hold, banked on the fastest times already being set, but looks like I’ll have to go again. Very dynamic car, a handful, but in a fun way.

EDIT: Ah, think I misread, are you talking about your 1:16 getting closed in on leaderboard wise, not prize-percentage wise?

Last edited:
Guys......ladies and gentleman and aliens...

Today is the day.... I'm hyped, I'm happy and i am damn proud of myself pulling this of!

I finally killed the curse of the Hatch! The worst thing is that I had a pretty bad S2 and I lost a fair bit of time in the last corner but for me....irrelevant 🤣🤣 ......Hello 39 club 😁 🤣🤣.

For the people who think this came easy for me.....naaah... I fought for it for 2372 km that's 1474 miles ....
For me that is my day driving to my vacation location in the south of France and back 🤣

But this morning it was all worth it

@Dan_Tes sorry dude 🤣

1:39.906

View attachment 1269926

View attachment 1269925

Congratulations mate, or I mean alien :)

I have checked your video just out of curiousity to check one thing, since I remembered how you did trail braking or rather lack of it on one of previous TTs, and once again, there is litteraly zero trail braking in your lap, you press and release brake, and you are in 39s placed P63!

Game once again proves when someone has skills, you can be really good with this or that approach! (have seen other videos too where shifting is different too, and still times can be in 39s )

Amazing work! And that you drove 2400Km makes it even more admirable! Keep up the good work!

Congratulations mate, or I mean alien :)

I have checked your video just out of curiousity to check one thing, since I remembered how you did trail braking or rather lack of it on one of previous TTs, and once again, there is litteraly zero trail braking in your lap, you press and release brake, and you are in 39s placed P63!

Game once again proves when someone has skills, you can be really good with this or that approach! (have seen other videos too where shifting is different too, and still times can be in 39s )

Amazing work! And that you drove 2400Km makes it even more admirable! Keep up the good work!
haha thanks mate :)
It's funny you mentioned this because i struggled with it :lol:
I started out like 1500km's or so trying to trialbrake into turn 4 but it's NOT my strongest point on a controller :lol:
so threw it out, and indeed seems kind of not necessary to get a decent time in!... but the question is....
What would my time be with a mastered trailbraked T4? :lol::lol::lol:

I had a quick re-read of @half_sourly's stats (thanks, BTW!) and I'm surprised just how well the player numbers are continuing to stack up. Basically it seems there's been a "core" of 120k people participating ever since that really easy Sardegna TT at the start of the year, with only two big fluctuations: There was a temporary bump around the Olympics/introduction of the second TT (can't really know which was the cause), and everyone collectively decided to ignore the horror of Willow Springs Streets Reverse.

But other than that participation in 2023 has been both stable and really surprisingly high, and I'd bet PD are really happy with those retention figures for a year+ old game.

I like BH and to be honest wish I could spend some more time there - but I locked up gold and it is going to take me the whole time on the RBR to get gold.

After spending the majority of my morning making the tiniest of improvements I felt that I was up against my wall. Set a 1:19.106 yesterday morning then hit 1:19.052. 15 or so laps later set 1:19.030 but my optimal was 1:18.409 - so with ~12-minutes before I needed to wake up the kiddos I threw a few more laps in and made a decent improvement to 1:18.831!! It would have been much sweeter but my PB was the 2nd lap of the stint and on the previous lap I was 0.421!!!! faster on S3!!! I over-braked the fast right hander before the final turn like big-time but got a good corner exit to salvage it - but knowing I was sooooo close to comfortable gold time stings!

IMG_6740.jpeg
IMG_6739.jpeg

Last edited:
Back