Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,702 comments
Despite the long weekend here in the US, I’m not getting as much track time as I’d hoped for, with a long list of jobs to do around the house.

Had a quick run yesterday at BH but to be honest my heart isn’t in it as I’m well into gold and sitting on a 1:40.890 at 1.84%. The track is fun but the car is a little too unwilling at times, and with the AM waiting it didn’t take me long to switch to the RBR - after 30 mins I was sitting just outside gold on a 1:18.9.

Fast forward to this morning and I had a couple of goes at the new Race B, but as is usual, it was mixed lobbies and unpredictable driving. After being dive bombed out of a podium on two successive races, I moved back to the RBR, and got down to a 1:18.466 and into gold.

Off to pull a tree stump out now but will be on track later!
1688398474098.jpeg

Last edited:
How does the penalty on the first corner of Red Bull ring work??
If I cut the corner exactly the same as the top drivers on the board I get hit with .500

I was wondering the same thing. It's unbelievably inconsistent. I have run wide all four wheels in the red and don't get one and like you have maybe been a hair off the ghost line and get hit with one

Decent gains at the RBR today.

1.1 seconds over my time from yesterday and about 0.6 seconds to gold.

1891d1c9adc1-screenshotUrl.jpg

My biggest issue I seem to have with the Valkyrie is the braking distance. I'm having to brake about 25-50 meters before the aliens to get a good line on the first three turns.

My first gain since day 1. Day ONE! I felt much more comfortable tonight though still somewhat disappointed because I left a lot of time on the table. My optimal lap was a 1:39.533. :irked: If I can string together enough good sectors over the next two days, I might...just might...dip into the 39's. @Gomario JSP's story is an inspiration. I want to do the same.
IMG_2123.jpg

Sectors 2 and 4 were painful. How can Westfield Bend be so difficult? I feel like I either cut it too much and pick up a penalty or end up wide and scrub off speed in the gravel. Also, I've done so many laps around the track through the years and have yet to figure out Surtees.
IMG_2122.jpg

Last edited:
I did my one and only run with the Genesis at Brands Hatch today. Managed to beat the gold time in a few laps, but I wanted to keep going and this is what I ended up with after an hour. Glad that I don’t have to put anymore time into this because the Genesis isn’t exactly a joy to drive, even for a road car.

C06D5EEA-84E5-4FEA-B639-63BE70BBEA5B.png

As expected, my 1:18.4 at RBR from early yesterday morning started slipping, so I went in for some more laps - struggled to get close, was consistently 2-4 tenths off, with one lap 1 tenth off.

Looked up some lap guides to see where I could make up some time - 4th gear out of turn 3 really helps quell the wheelspin. So far, my biggest gains lap time wise today, were:

Turn 1, not so hot in, and as the guide suggested, shift into 4th right away. That keeps wheelspin at bay. That, combined with accelerating as soon as possible out of the corner netted me a couple of tenths over how I previously approached it.

Turn 3, 4th gear on exit, probing the throttle as the car finishes turning, then stepping on it. Important to time when you use overtake, else the rear slippage will drive the revs up.

The infield section with the double left hander - going a little deeper on entry, but not holding the brake too long, so you get the rotation. Again into 4th as it opens up a little, where you can get on the throttle without going too wide.

Finally, the last corner. I’d been going too wide there all the time, but saw in the guide that the driver went in quite early - not unlike the lines F1 drivers take.

I found it a bit risky, but ultimately faster. Danger is, if you don’t commit enough, the car will just not turn enough after bouncing over the curb.

All that to say, after 90/120 mins of driving, I managed a 1:18.308! Gonna see how it holds over the next few days, hoping the aliens have found the majority of their gains, haha. This would be my first gold, so if need be, I’m gonna try and stay within reach. There’s still some time I feel I can find, just a case of stringing it all together.

If anyone is curious, here is the lap guide.

Last edited:
My first gain since day 1. Day ONE! I felt much more comfortable tonight though still somewhat disappointed because I left a lot of time on the table. My optimal lap was a 1:39.533. :irked: If I can string together enough good sectors over the next two days, I might...just might...dip into the 39's. @Gomario JSP's story is an inspiration. I want to do the same.
View attachment 1270385

Sectors 2 and 4 were painful. How can Westfield Bend be so difficult? I feel like I either cut it too much and pick up a penalty or end up wide and scrub off speed in the gravel. Also, I've done so many laps around the track through the years and have yet to figure out Surtees.
View attachment 1270386

Surtees is indeed a real weird one and the most weird thing about it is that i was faster coasting the car than trying to trailbrake ( wich i suck at :lol: ) my brain tells me to apex earlier and throttle out as a normal turn,
What i did notice is if i stay very close to the left side my sector time is way quicker but my topspeed on the end of the straight is lower than when i let the car drive out a little earlier on Surtees, sounds logical ofcourse but tell the brain :lol:, but that means that i had 35.9's on S2 on 40.1 laps but also 35.390 and 40.1 laps :lol:

But the one thing that made me more consistent on the overal lap was going back to third before Westfield, i always stayed in 4th but the car is just more stable if i downshift there and you can realy make up for a bad S2 here :lol: so only did restarts if S2 was below 35.9 :lol:

For me Sheen is a real roulette, it's 5/10 plus i gained some real time on Stirling, after those gazillion miles i found out that if you cut it all the way you can be on the throttle before the apex.

But you are almost there, you are a way faster driver than me so i'm positive you will kick me to place 65 :lol:

I didn't touch BH's this morning, tried RBR again but i struggle so much with it, still at a 18.2 and could not get in a clean lap with the furries hanging in all plants the whole morning....., to be continued ...

Decent gains at the RBR today.

1.1 seconds over my time from yesterday and about 0.6 seconds to gold.

View attachment 1270335

My biggest issue I seem to have with the Valkyrie is the braking distance. I'm having to brake about 25-50 meters before the aliens to get a good line on the first three turns.
This is what i dont get. How are the aliens braking that they can brake way later than us? 😩

I'm very curious what everybody uses for the RBR, with or without TCS?
I still haven't figured it out :lol:
I'm always use TCS on 3 and I'm over a second behind gold, ca 3 tenths of a second into silver, I'm not sure I can improve if pushed out of current position, but I don't think TCS on 0 would be any help for me, my throttle is either off or full on my controller. :lol:

Last edited:
Without TCS here, but the Valkyrie is very lurchy in anything below 3rd. In fact, I’d avoid 1st and 2nd altogether for corner exits - except maybe the last corner, but even then, I’d recommend getting up into 4th as quick as possible. 4th works well to cull almost all wheelspin, and you can pin the overtake button pretty soon into the gear.

A technique I saw from a video was to pulse the throttle on exit, just for maybe 3/4s of a second in total, just to get past the car’s initial want to spin up the rears if you use overtake right away, then floor it.

You can also tap overtake as you rise through the revs to feel when it’ll break loose, and when it’ll hold stable. But so far, the throttle pulse has generally done that job for me.

I don’t think TCS is a very limiting speed wise since there isn’t much wheelspin in 4th anyhow, and the car is fairly stable in third once you’re up the revs a bit.

Last edited:
Outstanding work as always!
I have an idea or request if you will.

Can we have a table or leaderboard of some sorts with times achieved by thread regulars at the end of each TT? It shouldn't be hard to filter out using our nicknames, right?

My reasoning is twofold:

1. Not everyone has everyone in their friends list on PSN and I think it would be interesting to see how the times spread out over the whole community.

2. Even if someone has everyone in their friends list, the friends leaderboard vanishes once the time trial is over, which is rubbish if you ask me. So I can't see if some of my friends did a last minute push to slid into gold like it happened this morning and how the leaderboard finally shaped out. Looking through an archive of past TTs would be very interesting as well.

It would require consent from each person to be published in such organised manner, but I think most of you wouldn't mind that, would you?

I, myself don't mind at all, my GT7 nickname is tmtk.
Thank you to @tmtk for helping out with organising the consent and interest for his leader board idea. Here is what it would look like, using the previous TT. Let me have your feedback and if you wish to be added to future leader boards, let me know.

I will publish the GTP leader board along with my weekly results posts.

GTP LB.jpg

Merci à @tmtk d'avoir aidé à organiser le consentement et l'intérêt pour son idée de tableau des leaders. Voici à quoi cela ressemblerait, en utilisant le TT précédent. Faites-moi part de vos commentaires et si vous souhaitez être ajouté aux futurs tableaux de classement, faites-le moi savoir.

Je publierai le tableau des leaders GTP avec mes résultats hebdomadaires.

View attachment 1270500
Great job, i would love to be part of it 🙏
THANKS

Thank you to @tmtk for helping out with organising the consent and interest for his leader board idea. Here is what it would look like, using the previous TT. Let me have your feedback and if you wish to be added to future leader boards, let me know.

View attachment 1270500

Thank you very much for your work! I like it so far and know who will get invited next... (BH looked great on paper but I don't like the car and can't get a decent lap.) Phantastic driving everyone!

Haven'rt tried with TCS. I may switch it on in the quest for 1:17, but I don't like it as it slows me down. I think the car handles well with decent throttle control.

While wheelspin is less of an issue for me, I'm having trouble finding the right line and could use more of the track. My lap times would also benefit from smoother braking and turning in.
@half_sourly thank you for taking the time. Unfortunately'I don't see myself on the list, albeit giving my consent. Maybe you could include me in the next update? :)

Last edited:
Back