Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,718 comments
Easily done if folk want to share what they use.
I fully admire, respect and appreciate your dedication to data, sir. Endless thanks.
Wheel for me.

Edit: DD Pro, 3 different wheels depending on the car, load cell brake with upgraded pedals, in a modified GT Omega cockpit on a Samsung Q series and Samsung surround sound using cockpit view and manual. That should fit in 1 spreadsheet cell right? 😂

Last edited:
Just a few quotes, but to address this in general, I will add a column for wheel or pad, but that is it. I'm not adding type of pad or wheel, whether you use loadcell or potentiometer, whether you choose to use buttons or sticks or somethings else on your pad, or if you use AT/MT, or anything else (including whether you use a hairclip to engage Overtake! :)). Otherwise the table will get out of hand.

Trust that works.
It would be good to add allergies and also ambient temperature in the room you set the time in 👍

🤣

Just a few quotes, but to address this in general, I will add a column for wheel or pad, but that is it. I'm not adding type of pad or wheel, whether you use loadcell or potentiometer, whether you choose to use buttons or sticks or somethings else on your pad, or if you use AT/MT, or anything else (including whether you use a hairclip to engage Overtake! :)). Otherwise the table will get out of hand.

Trust that works.
Wheel for me

Trust that works.
I can accept everything you say, except one thing...hairclip 😁😁😁 that one must be on leaderboard 😁😁😁😁😁

You forgot that it’s through a hot spotted Nokia 252 on a watch screen. Don’t sell yourself short. Lol.
Covered :lol:

GTP LB.jpg

If it gets added, I'm using a wheel (+ PSVR2 if people decide they'd like to see that, too).
Wheel. Details in signature.

I'm finding that there is a fair bit of variability with the sessions when doing the time trial. It's been documented elsewhere in GTP that sessions may impact your lap time by up to 0.2 seconds depending on some variability. I think I was noticing the same with BB TT.

I would have sessions where I would just plateau and no mater how many laps I would do I would not improve. Then next session, within a lap or two, bam! I would improve by a significant margin. Then next session I would not get anywhere close to that and be off by around 0.2 seconds again. It seemed very arbitrary. On my US account I must have done 50 laps on one session before I realized this and I could not get close to my prior 3.07% time so I gave up and switched to my GB account. Almost immediately, I beat the 3% time and got myself a 32.658 time.

IMG_6673.jpeg

Not sure if that will hold for GOLD but it'll do for now.

Then I switched back to my US account and almost immediately I beat that time again and got myself a 32.743 (+2.89%). That was all I could get for that session. I came back a bit later and the next session I could not get to within .15s of this. I was constantly in the 32.9s.... So I did something else.

Then came back for another session and wham! Beat the time again.

IMG_6674.jpeg

This should be a safe GOLD now.

I'm now curious if I can get into the sub +2% range so may try this some more. My technique is double apex turn 1, shift up to 5th as you apex the left hander with no lift, then down to 4th with mild short braking into the next right and floor it out of there. The last turn is still a do or die moment in the lap though. Sometimes I get it right, many times not; that is still where I lose much of my time against the alien ghosts.

The TLDR summary. If you are struggling with time, exit out get a cup of tea/coffee/beverage of your choice and then go back and start a next sessions. There seams to be a bit if variability..

Last edited:
Picked up Cr 250k for the one that just finished, tried the new BB, which I thought would be easy but isn't! After about 20 laps am 0.03% off bronze, and that's despite "cheating" and massively cutting that second corner (can't believe there's no penalty for that!).
I blame the fact there's no racing colour choice for the car..... 🤣

Wheel. Details in signature.

I'm finding that there is a fair bit of variability with the sessions when doing the time trial. It's been documented elsewhere in GTP that sessions may impact your lap time by up to 0.2 seconds depending on some variability. I think I was noticing the same with BB TT.

I would have sessions where I would just plateau and no mater how many laps I would do I would not improve. Then next session, within a lap or two, bam! U would improve my a significant margin. Then next session I would not get anywhere close to that and be off by around 0.2 seconds again. It seemed very arbitrary. On my US account I must have did 50 laps on one session before I realized this and I could not get close to my prior 3.07% time so I gave up and switched to my GB account. Almost immediately, I beat the 3% time and go myself a 32.658 time.

View attachment 1271233

Not sure if that will hold for GOLD but it'll do for now.

Then I switched back to my US account and almost immediately I beat that time again and got myself a 32.743 (+2.89%). That was all I could get for that session. I came back a bit later and the next session I could not get to within .15s of this. I was constantly in the 32.9s.... So I did something else.

Then cam back for another session and wham! Beat the time again.

View attachment 1271234

This should be a safe GOLD now.

I'm now curious if I can get into the sub +2% range so may try this some more. My technique is double apex turn 1, shift up to 5th as you apex the left hander with no lift, then down to 4th with mild short braking into the next right and floor it out of there. The last turn is still a do or die moment in the lap though. Sometimes I get it right, many times not; that is still where I lose much of my time against the alien ghosts.

The TL:DR summary. If you are struggling with time, exit out get a cup of tea/coffee/beverage of your choice and then go back and start a next sessions. There seams to be a bit if variability..
You'll save a bit of time not using 5th in this one. Feels a little weird as mechanical sympathy wants to kick in. But stay in 4th and down to 3rd for the final corner.

Last edited:
Officially on the GT website... starts tomorrow:

917 around LeMans on RH tires. USA only (sorry ya'll, why do they do this?). This will bring out the king aliens for sure. Not shown yet are the medal cutoffs... here's to hoping it's not the 1.5% again for gold or a lot of us (me included) are in trouble.

125_22e4a0169f4f387c01c2dc3a8265d9c4.png
I am so jealous, as a GT7 player that owns a 917K 😥

You'll save a bit of time not using 5th in this one. Feels a little weird as mechanical sympathy wants to kick in. But stay in 4th and down to 3rd for the final corner.
I know that's the preferred and for a long time I tried that but after watching some of the alien ghosts, one of the top 10 (I think) does the up to 5th and stay in 4th for the next corner so I tried that and, for me, found it quicker. I do use 3rd for final.

Perhaps what is different is that many people lift on the apex of the left hander but I do not, but shift to 5th (which is like a momentary lift) at the same point..?

Last edited:
Just barley into gold and now my arm is hurting, got tennis elbow from all the circuit experience last year, so I really should be gentle with my elbow, but no pain no gain... :lol:

View attachment 1271192

I will be really surprised if this holds to gold in the end.
Yesterday, I was very happy with my gold score at 0:32.798 :)

This morning, I was in silver due to some aliens... :irked:
At noon, I was still in silver with 0:32.786 (gold was at 0:32.776).... 0.010 :banghead:
This afternoon, @IngRobNy - a.k.a the Viking - came from nowhere with a brilliant 0:32.740... :mad:

So, I took my controller and I sent the Viking back home with a PB at 0:32.585 :D

What do we say to the God of the Defeat?

not today GIF

Last edited:

917 around LeMans on RH tires. USA only (sorry ya'll, why do they do this?). This will bring out the king aliens for sure. Not shown yet are the medal cutoffs... here's to hoping it's not the 1.5% again for gold or a lot of us (me included) are in trouble.

I suddenly feel a nasty bout of Mongolian Man Flu coming on that will keep me off work for a couple of weeks... cough cough :D

Perhaps what is different is that many people lift on the apex of the left hander but I do not, but shift to 5th (which is like a momentary lift) at the same point..?
Hm, that's an interesting approach... Going through this corner in 5th gear should make the car less willing to rotate? Ideally you want to get as close to the left wall as possible after exiting that corner before going into a banked right hander.

I tend to slightly lift in the second corner to put the car in a better position for the next one. The time gain is significant for me

Is that not just this:

That doesn't mean that there won't be prizes, of course, but I wouldn't be expecting any.

Last edited:
Hm, that's an interesting approach... Going through this corner in 5th gear should make the car less willing to rotate? Ideally you want to get as close to the left wall as possible after exiting that corner before going into a banked right hander.

I tend to slightly lift in the second corner to put the car in a better position for the next one. The time gain is significant for me
That's the same approach as I take, as I find you are constantly accelerating rather than keeping a constant pace.

I also use 4th for the better turn in.

Back