Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,721 comments
Hmmmm .....did 80 laps at BB and got a 2/100 improvement. Best possible time is 32.1 flat. I'm just not getting the last 2 corners right somehow (losing nearly 3/10 to #1 in sector 2) :irked:

18937ed133e10-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
Easily done if folk want to share what they use.
DS4 here. Thanks for all you're doing! I love seeing the stats you indulge us with! :D

I ran BB for the first time last night. I must be doing something wrong, because I have to lift massively to make the left hander while everyone else barely lets off the throttle. I'll have to revisit it, because my 32.523 feels horrible slow compared to where I normally am against the competition.

Meanwhile, at the Red Bull Ring, I saw advice from some using TC1. As I've stated in the past, I don't like using aids. But since I use X for gas (meaning 100% on throttle when I push it), I found TC1 helps tremendously in negating wheelspin in the Valkyrie. I can pin the throttle in 3rd with the boost and not feel like I'm laying rubber for half a straightaway. It also helps keeps the car from trying to kill me in left handers and second to last turn. The immediate effect was a gain of half a second down to 1:18.066. A 1:17 actually feels possible now.

I'm excited for the Porsche at LeMans, but I feel sorry for those not in America who are unable to take part. Why would PD leave out a huge portion of its players? It's not just folks from Cyprus missing out this time. :(

Last edited:
I ran BB for the first time last night. I must be doing something wrong, because I have to lift massively to make the left hander while everyone else barely lets off the throttle. I'll have to revisit it, because my 32.523 feels horrible slow compared to where I normally am against the competition.
to last turn. The immediate effect was a gain of half a second down to 1:18.066. A 1:17 actually feels possible now.
Turn in early. The car is an understeer pig 🐷

I ran BB for the first time last night. I must be doing something wrong, because I have to lift massively to make the left hander while everyone else barely lets off the throttle. I'll have to revisit it, because my 32.523 feels horrible slow compared to where I normally am against the competition
There is a black squarish tire blob on the track on the right side just before the gantry. Turn just before that and you’ll be able to take the left-hand a flat out.

DS4 here. Thanks for all you're doing! I love seeing the stats you indulge us with! :D

Meanwhile, at the Red Bull Ring, I saw advice from some using TC1. As I've stated in the past, I don't like using aids. But since I use X for gas (meaning 100% on throttle when I push it), I found TC1 helps tremendously in negating wheelspin in the Valkyrie. I can pin the throttle in 3rd with the boost and not feel like I'm laying rubber for half a straightaway. It also helps keeps the car from trying to kill me in left handers and second to last turn. The immediate effect was a gain of half a second down to 1:18.066. A 1:17 actually feels possible now.

I'm excited for the Porsche at LeMans, but I feel sorry for those not in America who are unable to take part. Why would PD leave out a huge portion of its players? It's not just folks from Cyprus missing out this time. :(
What really helped me was following @Doodle (thank you Sir)… I normally can’t get on with a ghost as I find it too distracting, but this track is all about line and momentum, so it ends up more like a follow the leader scenario. I set his ghost with a 0.2 offset and then sat behind him for 40 laps. The other ah ha moment was giving up on speed/throttle to preserve the line on entry for the fast left and subsequent right in the middle of the lap. You’re normally faster than me so you’ll get there and execute it better, but that’s what helped me

Last edited:
I try. I had a few occasions where I came uncomfortably (and satisfyingly) close to the wall but still had to lift for a long time. I've also cut it a touch too much and hit it a handful of times.

@TheNormsk, I'll keep an eye out for that marker. Thanks.
I took this screenshot from my video. You're looking for this.

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 21.20.17 PM.png

Adjust your timing around that and you should be able to go flat with just inches spare but the apex.

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 21.23.29 PM.png

The video.

I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly to help me with one turn. Thanks, everyone! :cheers:

The real key is making sure your line exiting turn 1 is perfect. You need to get all the way to the right and then snap the steering left at that tyre mark.

When you get it just right you’ll actually hold the throttle flat, almost brush the wall and hit the rev limiter before t3.

Evening all!

It’s been fun catching up today with the thread and finally getting to try the new TT. Brands Hatch was another top 100 for me, although not quite as impressive as Mr @Gomario JSP and his incredible result. I shall now dub you Dutch Doodle 😅

AM Valkyrie and RBR is a proper challenge and I’d love more time to have a good crack at it. Wow such a fantastic thing to drive, very sharp turn in and loves trail braking… let’s just ignore the fact that it wants to spin any time you touch the loud pedal! Set a decent time today with room for improvement but only tomorrow to beat it. A safe gold at least.

The new TT is.. interesting. I don’t like it, it’s everything I hate about a TT (boring to drive car, awful tyres, boring track). However it’s strangely hypnotic and I found myself doing a two 30 lap stints! Short lap, very few penalties and no dirty tyres seems to do the trick… I’m glad it’s on now as I’m away all week and for me it reveals it’s secrets quickly unlike the formidable Valkryie.

View attachment 1271553
View attachment 1271557

View attachment 1271558

Great times you got there mate!, I knew you would find the time to quickly crush all our hard gained laptimes 🤣🤣

The BB I sort of don't like it either, but on the other hand I can't get my head around the leaderboard, everybody turned in to aliens, I'm stuck at .309 and I just can't find more for now 🤣

The RBR TT I find thr least amusing because of thr inconsistent penalties, this morning I was 300% within limits and got penalty after penalty, .....I got a save gold, and I think I'm done with it, haven't got that much time this weekend as I normally have plus I'm frustrated with a misterious tooth pain wich they cant seem to locate so I'm drugged already 1.5 week... that doesn't help 🤣

I'm hoping for a nice slidealicious roadcar TT for the next one🤣

@Dolph Drago I'm not the quickest one here yet but I noticed I am more consistent by lifting slightly to get a better place lined up on the right side for turn 2, and I don't loose that much on the ghost , it's the last corner where I die every time 🤣

Great times you got there mate!, I knew you would find the time to quickly crush all our hard gained laptimes 🤣🤣

The BB I sort of don't like it either, but on the other hand I can't get my head around the leaderboard, everybody turned in to aliens, I'm stuck at .309 and I just can't find more for now 🤣

The RBR TT I find thr least amusing because of thr inconsistent penalties, this morning I was 300% within limits and got penalty after penalty, .....I got a save gold, and I think I'm done with it, haven't got that much time this weekend as I normally have plus I'm frustrated with a misterious tooth pain wich they cant seem to locate so I'm drugged already 1.5 week... that doesn't help 🤣

I'm hoping for a nice slidealicious roadcar TT for the next one🤣

@Dolph Drago I'm not the quickest one here yet but I noticed I am more consistent by lifting slightly to get a better place lined up on the right side for turn 2, and I don't loose that much on the ghost , it's the last corner where I die every time 🤣

“Yet” :odd:

No improvement at RBR, the kerb/grip/penalty lottery is starting to grate on me a little bit. I’ve set a few times near my PB but largely frustration.

I have really grown to like the BBR trial and I see why just about everyone enjoys it.. You just can’t stop doing laps!! I joined the 31 club and a bit more. If I wasn’t away all this week I feel like this is one where I could really challenge for the WR, it’s so simple I think all it takes is patience to get the perfect lap. Still, dead chuffed with my time and joining the thirty oners!

IMG_1268.jpeg

IMG_1267.jpeg

My time ends in 69, can’t complain at that!! 😂 apologies @Barareklam for displacing you on the leaderboard, classic pseudo-alien behaviour! I hope you come back swinging while I’m away and can fend off the inevitable @Gomario JSP insane 90s nokia lap time that he’ll inevitably pop in soon 😁 originally I had beaten your time by 0.001s, they felt particularly harsh so I had to go and make it less jarring (is it less jarring!?)

IMG_1269.jpeg

Tv Show Reality GIF by Endemol Beyond

No improvement at RBR, the kerb/grip/penalty lottery is starting to grate on me a little bit. I’ve set a few times near my PB but largely frustration.

I have really grown to like the BBR trial and I see why just about everyone enjoys it.. You just can’t stop doing laps!! I joined the 31 club and a bit more. If I wasn’t away all this week I feel like this is one where I could really challenge for the WR, it’s so simple I think all it takes is patience to get the perfect lap. Still, dead chuffed with my time and joining the thirty oners!

View attachment 1271725
View attachment 1271726

My time ends in 69, can’t complain at that!! 😂 apologies @Barareklam for displacing you on the leaderboard, classic pseudo-alien behaviour! I hope you come back swinging while I’m away and can fend off the inevitable @Gomario JSP insane 90s nokia lap time that he’ll inevitably pop in soon 😁 originally I had beaten your time by 0.001s, they felt particularly harsh so I had to go and make it less jarring (is it less jarring!?)

View attachment 1271727

Tv Show Reality GIF by Endemol Beyond
I am already kicked out of your board 🤣🤣
Insane time Dan! Hell no I'm going to match that! 🙏
I hope I'm able to find some long stint time because I have no clue how to find .4 of a second 🤣🤣👌👍👍

Pfff my hands are tingling and my underarms are painnfull from squeezing the DS4 🤣
Still not that in love with this TT but some people motivatie me to keep crushing the PAD, my problem lies in the final corner.... it seems like a normal turn but I think it's alive or something... 🤣

I think I did 400km this evening on the nokia setup 🤣, wife watching "SWAT" man earplugs in and full send 🤣

Found some time after a LOT of km, not much but it's something 😁
Went from .303 to .168 and dropped more than a 1000 places to 857 🤔🫨😳😳😳

I'm coming for you @Dan_Tes 🤣😅

20230709_222342.jpg

20230709_222437.jpg

500 miles grinding at Red Bull Ring today and I have a less than 0.1 second improvement to show for it.

1:18:123

I struggle with racecar TTs, I struggle with open wheelers / high revving top class cars, AND I struggle with the Red Bull Ring. I should be happy with this result, but :grumpy::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

• The penalty zone of turn 1 is random
  • There are bumps strategically placed around turn 1 to throw you into said random penalty zones
  • Those bumps also mess with my acceleration, because why not?
  • Sometimes the faster and penalty-free way through turn 1 is to just go off the track completely - ask me how I know
  • Turn 2 (1st stupid hairpin) requires me to dip outside track bounds and shift down to 1 to get the car turned in
  • The following sharp right has a braking zone that's in quantum flux and sometimes completely drops out of our dimension
  • The true apexes for the high speed sweepers are hidden... somewhere over the rainbow
  • Going wide on the penultimate (but not the last!!) corner is a special offense and grants me a 1 second penalty for the next lap
  • Penalty zone at last corner so annoyingly strict that I don't even bother with the rumbles and run-offs

The BoPed Valkyrie is also a huge pile of trash that's been left on the sidewalk for a week... in the middle of a heat wave.

• Typical GT7 nervousness that shows up in open wheelers and Red Bull X cars
  • Set up to understeer everywhere, yet also be annoyingly slippery on throttle
  • Wheelspin all the way through 3rd gear
  • But bogs down in 4th gear, except when I ask it to turn; then it slips AND THEN bogs down
  • Also wheelspin in 4th sometimes when the downforce should have kicked in long ago, because why not?
  • TCS slows me down regardless of the setting, AND I still have to feather the throttle in low speed corners
  • The car laughs at my unsophisticated trail braking - understeers randomly, but will give me too much turn-in later
  • Rumbles and run-offs seem to extend my braking distances. OK fine, but wait, the important corners require me to run wide to get the faster line :indiff:

I like the Valkyrie in concept, and it feels better everywhere else in the game, but here?

This has been one of my most miserable driving experiences in GT7 so far.

Here's a dramatic re-enactment of me coming to terms with how the BoPed Valkyrie drives:

you-were-the-chosen-one.gif

I spent more time on the BB time trial than I expected. What was supposed to be a 30 minute session turned into almost 2 hours. Guess because a lap is only half a minute, it’s easy to just keep going and going.

938445A2-5F78-4E2D-943D-F4341DA76891.png

As for the Valkyrie at Red Bull, I just hope my time holds. This car is rage inducing and I have no desire to revisit it.

FE0541E2-1C18-400A-9F8A-2FF702617A8A.png

Latest Posts

Back