Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,723 comments
Me and my better half are steering with motion sensor steering and sometimes we are so into game that we are not only tilting Dualsense but also moving it left and right way out of sofa.. 😁
It is actually pretty funny to watch some tough challenges... Here is she trying to make T2 in Valkyrie on RBR... I actually got inspired to take photo and share with you in her previous attempt when she managed to hit bottle of water standing on the floor 🤣
View attachment 1272349
Is it fair? No :lol:
Is it fun? ... :lol:
Is the respect dead? YES 🤣

Another 250 miles (402km) in the Valkyrie this morning.

The results:

1689162256965.png

Existential Crisis

It's time to give up on this TT before I am compelled to write a Greek tragedy on how much I hate driving this car.

Existential Crisis

It's time to give up on this TT before I am compelled to write a Greek tragedy on how much I hate driving this car.
That's why i stoped driving it when i was secured for gold :lol: :lol:
I hate driving the car, and i HATE the inconsistent penaulty system....
Can't wait for the new TT to arrive......, i am dizzy from BB and lost the motivation to keep pushing lap after lap....

It's not often that i'm completely done with both TT's at the same time, but these are not my favo's :lol:
I respect your efford!, you are on fire :)

Another 250 miles (402km) in the Valkyrie this morning.

The results:

View attachment 1272367

Existential Crisis

I applaud your tenacity even to the point of existential crisis 😂. I'm roughly half a second away from gold and and after desperately trying to close that gap the other day and failing at it, I've given up on that TT and decided to settle for silver. Words cannot express my hatred for that car/track combo TT. I have a family and a job that needs me in the right mindspace at all times so I really can't afford to lose my **** over this 😂.....although I'm really tempted to give it another few laps later today IF I have some free time.

I applaud your tenacity even to the point of existential crisis 😂. I'm roughly half a second away from gold and and after desperately trying to close that gap the other day and failing at it, I've given up on that TT and decided to settle for silver. Words cannot express my hatred for that car/track combo TT. I have a family and a job that needs me in the right mindspace at all times so I really can't afford to lose my **** over this 😂.....although I'm really tempted to give it another few laps later today IF I have some free time.
Do you try loading a ghost and following it?

Hi,

I hope this helps some one....

As I start a new Time Trial I am, usually, pretty rubbish. Loading a ghost of the quickest runners is pointless as I am left behind very very quickly. Chasing fresh air!

What I do these days is scroll down the TT charts - sometimes several pages - until I can find a more realistic time / ghost to chase. This helps me improve. Then I try a slightly quicker ghost and improve and so on until I reach my best time that I cannot improve on.

I do have to search through quite a few pages to find a "ghost" sometimes - It is worth it though. IMHO.

Best regards to all here.

Ian

Hi,

As I start a new Time Trial I am, usually, pretty rubbish. Loading a ghost of the quickest runners is pointless as I am left behind very very quickly. Chasing fresh air!

What I do these days is scroll down the TT charts - sometimes several pages - until I can find a more realistic time / ghost to chase. This helps me improve. Then I try a slightly quicker ghost and improve and so on until I reach my best time that I cannot improve on.

I do have to search through quite a few pages to find a "ghost" sometimes - It is worth it though. IMHO.

Ian
Yes I do the same thing. I wish we could filter by people who have shared their replay/ghost or people who use the same car as we do

Last edited:
Hi,

Ian
Good point, I also use this approach, but in a slight different way.
I search for ghost in the Vetrina filtering for the car I want to use and obviously the track.
With the filter results I select and mark different laps, starting to a time maybe 1s faster than mine, ending with very fast times.

This allow me to quickly get them and select the best-for-that-moment lap I want to ghost against depending on the progression of my time.

Drawback of this is that sometime you get ghosts of people not really knowing what they are doing but doing it quite fast, which may trow you off a bit

Do you try loading a ghost and following it?
I did even though I don't normally do well with that because I find it distracting. I've also watched quite a few replays for braking point, gearing change, throttle application timing etc. My struggle with the car has been the inconsistency. For me, no 2 laps felt the same. I would try to brake at the same point each time and the braking distance is completely different with the car also behaving differently. As a result, I'm braking or lifting off the throttle earlier than necessary. Then it's also the off-track penalties at different corners. Either way, the way I feel about driving the car is also not helping so it's all good. On to the next one!

I did even though I don't normally do well with that because I find it distracting. I've also watched quite a few replays for braking point, gearing change, throttle application timing etc. My struggle with the car has been the inconsistency. For me, no 2 laps felt the same. I would try to brake at the same point each time and the braking distance is completely different with the car also behaving differently. As a result, I'm braking or lifting off the throttle earlier than necessary. Then it's also the off-track penalties at different corners. Either way, the way I feel about driving the car is also not helping so it's all good. On to the next one!
I can’t understand how to do it without a ghost, it is without a doubt the most helpful learning tool in this game.

I can’t understand how to do it without a ghost, it is without a doubt the most helpful learning tool in this game.
I agree 99%

Going without ghost (and possibly without youtube) in the very first instance allow me to exercize my own thinking process path, find my own way, in the last instance to make judgement mistakes
Then I put youtube and ghost in the picture, this allow me to understand what and why I did wrong.

So, I agree with you but I also guess that using it as a first resource is not optimal

Porsche 917K - 60 miles driven - 1 clean lap for a 0.5sec improvement 😂

However, optimal splits are suggesting something a little more respectable. Looking to get under 3:47 before close of play if I can get some seat time later in the week. Not using assists other than ABS is, I suspect, holding me back as I think it would be easier to go faster sooner and with more consistency if I switched them on, but just doesn’t feel right in this of all cars. I don’t expect to be anywhere near the top, and there are no credits available, so this is just for personal satisfaction

People learn differently. While the ghost can be good for most it's not necessarily the best for everyone. For me it's a lot easier to watch the replays and making mental notes about different things and then try to replicate it than trying to follow the ghost. I find that it break my concentration when I do and that's why I said it's a distraction. I generally apply the ghost so I can figure out where on the track I am losing the time then I go back to the replay to figure out what I'm doing differently that's causing me to lose the time and improve there.

Sometime you have to adjust your braking distance based on how well you exit the previous corner. If you had a particularly good exit...think about braking a tiny little bit earlier as you might ended up with a higher speed at your "regular" braking point.

People learn differently. While the ghost can be good for most it's not necessarily the best for everyone. For me it's a lot easier to watch the replays and making mental notes about different things and then try to replicate it than trying to follow the ghost. I find that it break my concentration when I do and that's why I said it's a distraction. I generally apply the ghost so I can figure out where on the track I am losing the time then I go back to the replay to figure out what I'm doing differently that's causing me to lose the time and improve there.
One good thing about following a ghost is to watch how early it picks up the throttle. If ghost is distracting...set it a bit further at maybe 0.5 sec ahead. You can always set the ghost to reset at each sector so it doesn't fly away from you. I always following the ghost of the #1 in the ranking board. It helps IMMENSELY.

Last edited:
I use replays and ghosts.

I find ghosts are a good visual indicator of how you are doing relative to a fixed time as the delta is only relative to you fastest lap of the session.

Depending on how difficult I'm finding something I may just use my own ghost I can catch and pass over time before moving to a ghost with a fixed time, that then gives me a fixed reference to aim at improving against.

Also I vary the offset of the ghost early own I have it set quite close and as I improve I push it out a bit further as a visual target rather than something I'm learning lots from.

Typically after quite a few laps the fundamental improvement comes down to my input fidelity like smoothness on releasing the brakes or applying the power.

The basics of line and rough braking markers start to offer less and less improvement for me by that point.

20230712_202034.jpg
A week ago I was struggling with the Valkyrie and was consistently hovering around the low 1:18's. This time I got back to RBR and decided to use TC1 and not worry about extreme throttle management, rather just focusing on my lines. Got much improved laps and finished for today with a 1:17.438.

I feel that there is still some room for improvement, but don't think I'll get it in time.

In total I spent around an hour with the Valkyrie on RBR up to this point. That got me a relatively safe silver (19.5) and having said that I won't drop my gloves just yet I am reading last week content of this thread with all of your bouts with the car and the track, so all I have to say about this last night of said event is...
Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

I'd rather grind some real credits for the GTO while waiting to cash in on my moderately quick silver.

Went back to RBR in the hope I would fall in love on the last day......., guess what...I didn't 🤣🤣, I will give it one more try tomorrow ...

1:18.276 to i believe 1:18.126 .....
I still haven't figured out what gear to be in with TCS ..... so just like BB.....huge improvements are made this evening 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I still haven't figured out what gear to be in with TCS .....
Search for 17.361 in replays. I played with gears a lot with TC at 1 trying to use what the top times did, but it kills the high gear light slip that is needed to keep it accelerating. I actually found the gears I used far more intuitive as it's more like what you'd actually use driving the car.
Oddly addictive to chase those hundreths of a second on such a short and simple track. "One more lap.." :lol:
This! I looked at the mileage last night expecting to see 600-700 total since it started........1100. Lol. I really try not to hit retry unless I get penalties and you end up burning 25 minutes and 50 straight laps before you know it.
Last night was my best chance yet for 31.8's. Went into the last turn .13 up on a 31.9 lap.........drifted the last turn and did 31.982. :irked:
Good thing I still have a week to get it.

Alright, a .080 pickup from yesterday. I'll stop there. Though I'm sure I'll be regretting it when I wake up tomorrow and see I've lost more than 7 spots overall. :lol:
IMG_2160.jpg

Not the cleanest lap. I don't think I hit the apex on any corner. :boggled: But if you're using TC1 and looking for a sub 1:18, here's my lap as a reference.

Back