Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,962 comments
12.5 and good enough for me. Almost forgot how much I don't like this track. And, apparently, I don't like the BRZ either. That little thing seems to be either trying to build boost or builds too much causing snap oversteer. More than a few times I am easing onto the throttle waiting for the thing to go and it doesn't.... come on come on come on and then it builds and spins.

I don't remember it being like that before. Oh well, I'd try some different cars but can't be bothered for this one. Not complaining though, pretty straight forward Gold!

18c0237929347-screenshotUrl.jpg

Improving at Big Willow. Changed to the Subaru BRZ and it suits me much better than the M6, I find it much easier to tame.

Worst lap is better than previous best one...

Lot of improvement available yet, losing and gaining time here and there. At least 0.5s "easy" to get, may be enough to finish in silver.

18c023598ab40-screenshotUrl.jpg

Another try at Daytona. A bit all over the place and a lot to gain still by being more consistent. Need to memorize braking points too, I am inconsistent there too.

Unlike Big Willow, worst lap is not better than previous best, was already in the 1m51s but ample room to improve still, maybe up to silver zone.

I really enjoy both of these TTs.

Last edited:
Thanks, that has helped - I have discovered an error in how I check for all gold and will redo the lot to get to the right answer.
And by the way, I feel your pain; I know the day is coming where I'll lose my streak to, especially when people like L-Shooter turn up.

Thanks again!
The method I use to determine drivers with all gold is to take those who had gold in TT1, then in TT2, select all who got gold in TT2, see which of them also had gold in TT1 and that is the post-TT2 all gold number. Same process for each consecutive TT. But for the last 4 or 5 (judging by the revised numbers) instead of using only the gold population of the latest TT, I used the full population, so overstating the all gold number.

Below is the revised table - 24 drivers lost their all gold streak at Lake Louise, so you are not alone @watto79

TT-all gold table.jpg

Groan......the BRZ drives fine until I'm really pushing it. For whatever reason I can't get it to rotate with the brakes during turn in. I actually spent a good 10 mins trying to deliberately spin it entering turn one and it would just understeer off the track. It will however happily spins around during slow corner exit. 🫠

Day 2 at Daytona. Watched the current WR lap and @Evilmuffin 's replay for inspiration.

Decent progress today, but if I'm wanting to solidify my alien status, I think I'll need to get into the upper 1:44's.

It may not appear that I'm not far off, but each tenth gets harder and harder. But I'm pleased with my progress today. I started to get the hang of Turn 1 toward the end of my stint. For those of you looking for tips, on the start of your flyer, start the lap on the high line into Turn 1. Finish the lap as close to the double yellow as you can. So you probably are not going to two hot laps back to back.

My PSVR2 started teleporting me out of the car and into wire frame land around lap 18/19 and threw me off while I was setting purple sectors in 1 and 2. So I called it after attempting Lap 21 before invalidating the lap somewhere along the way.

18c02b9e2ea71-screenshotUrl.jpg
18c02b9f9b64-screenshotUrl.jpg

Post moved

So, back when we had the Nordschleife TT with Gr.3, I wanted to try out several cars and post my best laps. Unfortunately, due to the length of the lap and the effort needed to get a decent lap, I only got times with 3 different cars.

But now, with Willow Springs being a much shorter and simpler lap, I'm planning to do some testing again. If not all the cars, then far more than just 3...

I already got 2 laps down just now, 911 RSR took most of the time due to its RR characteristics making it very understeery, thus very hard to get the max speed out of turns. Terrible car for this track.

I will update this post and quote it whenever I have grinded another car.

P.S. Although I originally scoffed at the fact that we got Gr.3 again, especially on a simple track, at the very least testing will be easier to do, despite me not exactly being a fan of the track. And I'd rather not grind Daytona constantly so I thought I might as well make my time worthwhile. :lol:

Last edited:
@half_sourly just a note, please don't re-do anything. When I am reading leaderboard stats, the other thread where you are collecting all TTs, you are listing DR/SR too. Not that's important but I think you are redoing your excel in current time and that for example list me at my current B rating, but at same time we are looking at first TT where I ended up P20000. At the time of that TT I was E rating, maybe D, but definitely not B, otherwise I wouldn't be P20000, right.
Anyhow, it's just a note, please don't put even more time in your work to now dig up DR ratings we had at that very moment of TT.
Thanks again for your great work!

The method I use to determine drivers with all gold is to take those who had gold in TT1, then in TT2, select all who got gold in TT2, see which of them also had gold in TT1 and that is the post-TT2 all gold number. Same process for each consecutive TT. But for the last 4 or 5 (judging by the revised numbers) instead of using only the gold population of the latest TT, I used the full population, so overstating the all gold number.

Below is the revised table - 24 drivers lost their all gold streak at Lake Louise, so you are not alone @watto79

View attachment 1306014
I'm chalking this up to most of those guys getting caught out by L-Shooter's run. They assumed they were safe. It's crazy that I grabbed gold while 24 of the all-golders did not.

@half_sourly just a note, please don't re-do anything. When I am reading leaderboard stats, the other thread where you are collecting all TTs, you are listing DR/SR too. Not that's important but I think you are redoing your excel in current time and that for example list me at my current B rating, but at same time we are looking at first TT where I ended up P20000. At the time of that TT I was E rating, maybe D, but definitely not B, otherwise I wouldn't be P20000, right.
Anyhow, it's just a note, please don't put even more time in your work to now dig up DR ratings we had at that very moment of TT.
Thanks again for your great work!
I appreciate the thought, but I have to rescrape data, for example to get things like cars used, country, etc. which I didn't do first time round. Unfortunately PD don't leave those historical TT pages static, so when I scrape them now, people's latest DR, SR and nickname appear, so that is what I use. I wouldn't know how to get your DR or SR at the time of TT2 even if I wanted to keep the results 'pure'.

The stats and scoreboards I do are never going to be perfect but perfection is not what I am aiming for, just some mostly correct information to entertain and spur people on.

First decent session at Willow Springs… starting to understand the track now. Quickly abandoned my thought to use only US cars 😂 and moved to the SLS and then the BMW. Got down to a 13 flat, but with optimal splits suggesting a 12.6, there’s still more to come (if I can keep out of the desert) 🌵
1700863640602.jpeg

Groan......the BRZ drives fine until I'm really pushing it. For whatever reason I can't get it to rotate with the brakes during turn in. I actually spent a good 10 mins trying to deliberately spin it entering turn one and it would just understeer off the track. It will however happily spins around during slow corner exit. 🫠
Turning it with the brakes really doesn’t work with this car. The trick with the BRZ is to brake as little as possible while turning. Just brake in a straight line, keep trail braking to a minimum und let it roll through the turns.

Turning it with the brakes really doesn’t work with this car. The trick with the BRZ is to brake as little as possible while turning. Just brake in a straight line, keep trail braking to a minimum und let it roll through the turns.

I found part of the problem with the BRZ not turning. I had abs at normal from Daytona TT and forgot to switch it back to weak. Feels much better now. I only had time to do 5 laps and managed 2 1:12.3s....will try to whip the car to do what I want it to do during the weekend.

Last edited:
I found part of the problem with the BRZ not turning. I had abs at normal from Daytona TT and forgot to switch it back to weak. Feels much better now. I only had time to do 5 laps and managed 2 1:12.3s....will try to whip the car to do what I want it to do during the weekend.
And there goes the brief moment where I was a bit faster than you. 😅

Maybe I too should try ABS on weak 🤔

Coward.

Though I do understand, just a handful of laps testing and only the GT LM Race feels even vaguely competitive.
😂 that’s one way to look at it, but it’s more like I’m not fast enough and need the help of the meta-cars.

I tried the Ford GT Race car (lots of understeer) and the GT LM before switching to the SLS and M6. Now that I’m solid Gold I might go back and try them both again, and also the Corvette and Mustang

Last edited:
Back