Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,865 comments
Somehow I know I will wake up with you a few hundredth ahead if me 💩
That's kind of the same for me, this morning I logged on, took a look at the leaderboard and yelled, ..... ofcourse the d*mn muffin again!... , the look on my wife's face was priceless, wait what?...muffin?.... oh...never mind, I'll never understand you guys 🤣🤣🤣

I'm sure you will end up sub 12 this thing before me, and I only have tomorrow morning Tuesday I'm off for a week 🤣

I have managed to lap Willow springs 1.12.9xx with BRZ, with dualsense now as I wasn't able to get some time behind the wheel, and I hope that I will get time to improve as I also lost gold the last day in Lake Louise TT, so I will try to avoid that.

Now down to 12.650 with opt.under 12.500, but still no oportunity to try with wheel.

I haven't played so much with dualsense after moving to PS5 a month ago, just continued with T300, but is pretty fun, and would be great to have those extra effects (gearshift, ABS and traction vibration) on wheel without some additional complications like bass shakers.

New test today and I can improve again my time with the time at 1'12'334

17010129712402267196436322227123.jpg

Leaderboard

1:12.721 - RX Vision
1:12.853 - Ford GT '17
1:12.948 - SLS AMG
1:13.043 - Beetle
1:13.076 - 911 RSR
1:13.3XX - Gold cut-off
1:13.671 - Silhouette
@MidnightRun85 Grinded the Viper for quite a bit, couldn't get past 1:13.1, no matter how hard I tried. I'm sure a 1:12.9 would've been possible if I nailed everything.

But I really liked the handling, more than Beetle, so I'd say this was the most satisfying car to drive so far, considering the expectations were low as dirt.

Last edited:
That bus-stop chicane has been the worst today. I can't figure out where to turn in at the start of it to cut it as deep as the top people are.

Only 0.065 seconds improvement today. Optimals are still a little lower than yesterday. One good lap and I'll move up into the top 300 or so. My meager gains saw about a 100 place bump, so that's nice.

18c0d00143720-screenshotUrl.jpg
18c0d0025c731-screenshotUrl.jpg

Luckily, I have my last long weekend of the year starting tomorrow morning to work this out. Hopefully I can connect it all together!

Leaderboard

1:12.721 - RX Vision
1:12.853 - Ford GT '17
1:12.948 - SLS AMG
1:13.043 - Beetle
1:13.076 - 911 RSR
1:13.113 - Viper
1:13.3XX - Gold cut-off
1:13.671 - Silhouette
Gave the Golf a try now, and I gotta say, despite it being veeery slow, this is now the car I've enjoyed the most. It's got some serious wheelspin problems, but the turn-in ability and brakes are good.

Btw, how many of you have actually driven that wacky thing...? :lol:

Last edited:
Durn Jeddah, how'd you pull that off in Daytona, you flew through Sector 3 like a madman! See you have more benefits from the wheel. What you using there? Logitech?

Durn Jeddah, how'd you pull that off in Daytona, you flew through Sector 3 like a madman! See you have more benefits from the wheel. What you using there? Logitech?
FWIW.....steering wheel is extremely unforgiving when it comes down to car control. I'm going to be that person to tell you that unless you kinda know what you are doing, you will end up hating it and think you just wasted a few hundred bucks for a bluky paper weight.

There are plenty of great controller players here, so wheel is definitely not a requirement. If you are at the edge of gold, getting a wheel might eventually get you to cross that line (after a few weeks of getting a hang of it). If you are barely scraping bronze and have hard time getting silver... don't bother. Also, while you can anchor the wheel on a desk, the driving position is totally weird and uncomfortable. You will probably want a racing seat to go along with it. Even a cheapo lightweight seat is better than a desk.

Instead of spending the money....just consistently nail those braking points and turn in points, figure out how to trail brake, figure out how to rotate the car with brake or throttle alone, understand weight transfer, these are the skills that will shave SECONDS off your lap. No amount of equipment will do that for you if you can't do the aboved at less somewhat adequately.

But of cause, if you just want to have a wheel to yank the car around for fun....go for it. Just don't expect it to be a miracle cure 🤪

Last edited:
I've been trying many different cars at Willow, but nothing seems to beat the BRZ here. And the BRZ is one of the Gr.3 cars I've always been clueless about how to push to its limits. Now after a couple of days of practicing how to drive it fast, I'm at 1:11.579, which is a lot better than I expected. But I think I can still improve a bit.

The second fastest car I've tried is the Renault R.S.01, but it's still almost 4 tenths slower than the BRZ.

Screenshot_2023-11-27-01-03-37-39_fff335ca613a5f557fcea787596aedca.jpg

Did someone say Daytona???

It's one of those tracks I'm doing quite good around for some reason, so can't pass such opportunity...

DaytonaTT-almost.jpg

After two short sessions I knew I had 45s in me and there's still some tenths to shave I think. Not sure how much work it would take though...

Oh well, back to GT Sport xp grind.............. :crazy:

Ack! Attempt #2 at Willow today. As much as I dislike the track, I couldn't help but pump in lap after lap before realizing I had driven over 250 miles over three sessions before I stopped. I only picked up 2 tenths from my best, but I had an optimal that was sub 1:12. What's killing me is the left hander in sector 2 before the backstretch (as talked about before) and the final corner. I had a couple attempts where I was up on my best, only to lose 2 tenths in the last turn. It didn't feel slow and I didn't go off track - it was just slow. I have no idea why. I also found out I was faster using ABS normal as opposed to weak.
IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

Ack! Attempt #2 at Willow today. As much as I dislike the track, I couldn't help but pump in lap after lap before realizing I had driven over 250 miles over three sessions before I stopped. I only picked up 2 tenths from my best, but I had an optimal that was sub 1:12. What's killing me is the left hander in sector 2 before the backstretch (as talked about before) and the final corner. I had a couple attempts where I was up on my best, only to lose 2 tenths in the last turn. It didn't feel slow and I didn't go off track - it was just slow. I have no idea why. I also found out I was faster using ABS normal as opposed to weak.
View attachment 1306566
View attachment 1306567
For the downhill left hander in sector 2 , I found it easier to use 3rd gear to power out of corner instead of 4th. I know 4th gear is faster, but I don't seem to have high enough of an apex speed to make it work.

As the last corner, start the turn in about 1/2 way between the 200 and 150 board, drag the brakes slightly at 150, then downshift to 5th...then either coast a bit or drag the brakes a bit more depending on you speed. Then use partial throttle to keep the speed up until you know for sure you will hit the apex at the right angle then floor it. I was able to do .4s or low .5s in the last sector this way (I was doing high .5s to mid .6s before).

Last edited:
18c0e78da9a56-screenshotUrl.jpg

Couple more tenths... I find I decline rapidly here. My best laps usually come very early in my sessions. I think this one was lap 4 and maybe lap 2 of my valid attempts this evening. I would like to get into the low 12s but again, tying it all together is much easier said than done.

I'm discussed and it kinda makes me want to stop playing... I was ALL gold (only 49 gold medals as I missed a couple TTs for holidays). I stopped playing for a week as I bought another game, but I made sure to be safe for the Lake Louise TT... I mean, there was 3 days remaining and I was almost half a second safe! The motivation of playing for me was to keep that streak. How did they find so much time at the last minute?

I've improved my lap around Daytona, but not by much, now down to a 1:45.414. An improvement of 2 tenths compared to my previous post, after probably 400km of lapping over 3 days. The optimum is a 1:45.1XX, but I think I need to give up with this trial, 300km of my trialling resulted in an improvement of 0.050 so it is clear I have basically reached my limit, even if the optimum is another 3 tenths away, there seems to be no way I can string that lap together. Current ranking is 299th which is at least where I would normally be in terms of rankings.

I've put a banker lap in around Willow Springs that is maybe 3 or 4 tenths inside gold, can't remember exactly, using the Toyota VGT Gr3 for a laugh. Definitely by no means fast around here so I will be switching to the meta car next to set my actual lap. Not particularly looking forward to this as Willow Springs is not my favourite track, but hopefully I will be able to get into a flow.

Quick session this evening… multiple restarts but finally got my eye in for a half a tenth improvement to 1:12.382 and optimal splits a tenth quicker just from this session, but I know there’s a tenth in sector 1 as well from prior runs. Law of diminishing returns at this point for sure, but I’d like to get into the 12.2s. Depending on what the new TT is on Thursday I may keep grinding this one as it’s quite a satisfying combo
1701059408082.jpeg

Last edited:
Back