Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,570 comments
D.D., Maybe taking a day off from it would help. Just a thought.
While I did hop on GT7 the past few days, I stayed away from Willow for sanity reasons. :lol: Today was my first day back there.
For the downhill left hander in sector 2 , I found it easier to use 3rd gear to power out of corner instead of 4th. I know 4th gear is faster, but I don't seem to have high enough of an apex speed to make it work.

As the last corner, start the turn in about 1/2 way between the 200 and 150 board, drag the brakes slightly at 150, then downshift to 5th...then either coast a bit or drag the brakes a bit more depending on you speed. Then use partial throttle to keep the speed up until you know for sure you will hit the apex at the right angle then floor it. I was able to do .4s or low .5s in the last sector this way (I was doing high .5s to mid .6s before).
I realized I haven't posted either of my replays. I have been using 3rd accelerating out of the left hander. It's just so difficult to get the car turned in there, even when dipping my right side tires into the dirt to widen the entry.

Is there an advantage to shifting to 6th before the final corner? I've been sticking with 5th. I tried a couple times going to 6th, but I didn't really notice a difference. It felt like an extra distraction if anything. Sometimes I do get a decent run through the turn, but it's hit or miss. On my fast lap I did a mid .5 on the nose. .550 to be exact.

Predicting tomorrow morning @Gomario JSP 's wife will ponder the idea of putting his husband in a lunatic asylum, as he has developed a strange fixation with certain pastry product.

Also predicting he will best my time for another few 100ths 😖
@Evilmuffin "Wakey wakey" ... :lol: :lol:

Yes.... insane asylum is what it does, i'm 41, and setting my alarm clock early before everyday workday to chase a muffin, i think if all my friends knew, they probl think i lost all of reality...
But i still like it :lol: :lol: , but i'll never eat a muffin again, i have trauma already :lol: ( 😘 )

That said... back to the lapping, sanddrifting, powersliding, coasting and try to figure out how to execute the Sweeper.
I think it's one of the most difficult corners of the game to fully nail, consistency is very hard on this one.

I stuffed up my best attempt for this morning with a mid 2xx before the sweeper but i was to nerveous and was way to late on the brakes and went round by hitting the sand with the left rear, so i know a .8xx is within reach.
Lots of spins this morning, but pushed a little more so sometimes Mushy got airmiles

18c0fb1469269-screenshotUrl.jpg

Eventually i ran a descent time but 0.100 slower before the Sweeper but didn't stuffed it up this time.
I did change 2 things, i'm no always go to 6th on the straight ( right on the sector hit ) and hitting 6th before the sweeper wich i enter in 5th, i have the feeling it stabilizes the car just a little more than 5th to 4th, and i see no real difference in " ghost follow time "

In fact, on some laps i'm actually quicker then the WR but downhill into Wings leg i loose all my time to him..... no idea how
,So I know there is more in it, and i'm sure the muffin hits a .800 tomorrow, i think you are going to win ..... again....
need......time.... :lol::lol::lol:

18c0fb1b43c0-screenshotUrl.jpg

18c0fb1811c83-screenshotUrl.jpg

Happy hunting

Did someone say Daytona???

It's one of those tracks I'm doing quite good around for some reason, so can't pass such opportunity...

View attachment 1306553
After two short sessions I knew I had 45s in me and there's still some tenths to shave I think. Not sure how much work it would take though...

Oh well, back to GT Sport xp grind.............. :crazy:

This is awesome. I'm amazed about my own results, too. The Porsche is phenomenal and the track is fun. Usually I'm placed around 20.000 and at the moment it is below 2.500! Still 0.5 seconds away from my optimum and I will try to get into 1:45, too.
18c0640c35d9-screenshotUrl.jpg

I'm discussed and it kinda makes me want to stop playing... I was ALL gold (only 49 gold medals as I missed a couple TTs for holidays). I stopped playing for a week as I bought another game, but I made sure to be safe for the Lake Louise TT... I mean, there was 3 days remaining and I was almost half a second safe! The motivation of playing for me was to keep that streak. How did they find so much time at the last minute?
I wonder what was it that made you lose gold now?

And other 24 people ( @half_sourly can correct me but I think I read it was 24 people lost gold there) that had all gold until Lake Louise snow TT?

What was the reason not to get gold on Lake Louise?

:lol: L Shooter realy did a lot of people dirty i guess :lol:
Yes but No, I mean if you have all gold medals even olympic one which was pretty difficult to get in my opinion, since it was 1.5% and in high speed high downforce car ( I got silver) so I just wonder if those 24 got gold there, what made it for them not get gold on Lake Louise?

Yes but No, I mean if you have all gold medals even olympic one which was pretty difficult to get in my opinion, since it was 1.5% and in high speed high downforce car ( I got silver) so I just wonder if those 24 got gold there, what made it for them not get gold on Lake Louise?
Oh like that, i see, sorry. :)
Yeah that is indeed a good question, from my perspective, it was not easy Lake Lousie but indeed far more easy than the Olympic one, i got silver on that one too, but i think if i could do it again i would get the gold, i think that would be the same for you, you became a lot faster lately

But that's a good question, curious too

I can only speculate based off my observations.

I think it was likely due to a couple factors:
  • Lack of interest in a rally stage, as indicated from @half_sourly 's stats - the Lake Louise had about 20k fewer participants than average.
  • New events from the 1.40 update to occupy people's time. Master license test, Custom Race PP credit exploit.

For some perspective, at Lake Louise I finished 2.28% off the WR time but was still P108 overall. At Daytona, I'm currently 1.41% off the WR time but P796.

Oh like that, i see, sorry. :)
Yeah that is indeed a good question, from my perspective, it was not easy Lake Lousie but indeed far more easy than the Olympic one, i got silver on that one too, but i think if i could do it again i would get the gold, i think that would be the same for you, you became a lot faster lately

But that's a good question, curious too
Actually I wonder, I am steering with motion sensor and I have been trying to report that it is small glitch there when steering so now after I tested this and that so many times and drove hours I see that it works good to 99%, but high speed cars, high downforce, sharp corners, it shakes steering wheel more than usual and I lose a little bit of steering angle there and as we know, if I have to wait few miliseconds more until steering has straightened up so I can floor it, I lose tenths on straight after that. Repeat that 10 corners and second is lost. So if It was working 100% maybe I could reach 1,50% on olympic one now, but honestly, especially with the glitch I think I would end up on 3%, would it be on right side, who knows...

Check image, my maximum steering angle on top half of image compared to steering angle on steering wheel, lower half of image.
Screenshot_20231018-111525~3.png

Last edited:
It's quite straight-forward I think. Lake Louise was a hard one to gold even before L-Shooter's miracle lap, and many players probably just moved on after they felt safe enough, especially because, as mentioned above, rally events are not very popular. I did the same ... only with bronze 😂

Actually I wonder, I am steering with motion sensor and I have been trying to report that it is small glitch there when steering so now after I tested this and that so many times and drove hours I see that it works good to 99%, but high speed cars, high downforce, sharp corners, it shakes steering wheel more than usual and I lose a little bit of steering angle there and as we know, if I have to wait few miliseconds more until steering has straightened up so I can floor it, I lose tenths on straight after that. Repeat that 10 corners and second is lost. So if It was working 100% maybe I could reach 1,50% on olympic one now, but honestly, especially with the glitch I think I would end up on 3%, would it be on right side, who knows...

Check image, my maximum steering angle on top half of image compared to steering angle on steering wheel, lower half of image.View attachment 1306610
That seems to be a lot different!, then your regular top 100 placements are even more respectable mate!
So i hope PD can fix this issue, altho that's not realy the best option for me, I can't match you now either so :lol: :lol:

Yes the olympic was the toughest to Gold!

Well, I'm pretty sure a lot of us 24 got caught off guard thinking we were safe. At least for me that's what happened. I've set up my gold time in about 20 minutes with plenty of room to improve. I never go with the best time I can possibly do. I simply stop when the time is "safe". Only this time, it wasn't enough and I stopped playing, so I noticed it today when logging in.

I never go with the best time I can possibly do. I simply stop when the time is "safe".
I think it's easy to overlook how big the effect of pure dedication is here. If it wasn't for this thread and the stats @half_sourly provides, there would not be much incentive to go beyond a safe gold time. So as much as I would want to believe a top 1,000 time in Daytona puts me in the top 1% of GT7 players, it's actually far from the truth.

I think it's easy to overlook how big the effect of pure dedication is here. If it wasn't for this thread and the stats @half_sourly provides, there would not be much incentive to go beyond a safe gold time. So as much as I would want to believe a top 1,000 time in Daytona puts me in the top 1% of GT7 players, it's actually far from the truth.

Actually I think it is presumably that you are within the fastest 1% of all GT7 players with your lap time. Since I added some mates of this thread as psn-friends and the detailed statistics of @half_sourly are published there is ALWAYS a reason to return to the actual time trial for me. Unfortunately there are often a lot of reasons and only a tiny bit of time... This section of GTPlanet brings a lot of fun to me and made GT7 by far my favourite driving game. You guys rule!

So in your increment report you seem to focus on the top 5 seconds (50 slices). My idea would be to take this exact data set at the end of a TT, or maybe extend it to 10 seconds if feasible, and plot it in a graph similar to the reward distribution. Times on the x axis, amount of people on the y axis. And, if possible, some indicators on the x axis for certain "points of interest" (1%, 3%, gold etc.). Am i making any sense?

You are. I'll see what I can do.

Something like this?

1701085002245.png

Actually I think it is presumably that you are within the fastest 1% of all GT7 players with your lap time. Since I added some mates of this thread as psn-friends and the detailed statistics of @half_sourly are published there is ALWAYS a reason to return to the actual time trial for me. Unfortunately there are often a lot of reasons and only a tiny bit of time... This section of GTPlanet brings a lot of fun to me and made GT7 by far my favourite driving game. You guys rule!
Spot on for me with this. I feel like I'm pretty quick mostly but I feel so slow in here and it keeps me pushing.

Check image, my maximum steering angle on top half of image compared to steering angle on steering wheel, lower half of image.View attachment 1306610
With motion sensor steering, is the maximum steering angle dependent on your speed like it is with 'normal' controller steering? E.g. If you drive at full speed, a controller won't let you turn to full lock, but a wheel will. Is that also the case with motion sensor steering, or does it allow you to turn to full lock at any speed, like a wheel? I'm curious.

When I used to have a crappy wheel with no FFB and only like 180 degree steering, it was hard NOT to turn the wheel too much. My front tires were always smoking mid corner and I was losing a lot of time because of that. Thankfully those times are over. :lol:

Last edited:
If you drive at full speed, a controller won't let you turn to full lock, but a wheel will. Is that also the case with motion sensor steering, or does it allow you to turn to full lock at any speed, like a wheel? I'm curious.
Unfortunately it is the case with motion sensor steering, it does not allow me to turn full lock at full speed. As seen on image in my previous post I compared my steering angle on motion sensor steering and steering angle from steering wheel and I can not turn equally much.

Last edited:
While I did hop on GT7 the past few days, I stayed away from Willow for sanity reasons. :lol: Today was my first day back there.

I realized I haven't posted either of my replays. I have been using 3rd accelerating out of the left hander. It's just so difficult to get the car turned in there, even when dipping my right side tires into the dirt to widen the entry.

Is there an advantage to shifting to 6th before the final corner? I've been sticking with 5th. I tried a couple times going to 6th, but I didn't really notice a difference. It felt like an extra distraction if anything. Sometimes I do get a decent run through the turn, but it's hit or miss. On my fast lap I did a mid .5 on the nose. .550 to be exact.
Shifting to 6th never seems to net me any time but I may not be carrying the same speed as the fastest times do. After a heater lap I'm always down on my delta there so I fee like there is little time to gain there. I think of all the sections I absolutely am most consistent in the last as well. (I haven't compared my splits with the top times though, and I'm always right up in the ghost when I have one I'm chasing.)

I first did 5th, downshift... get my angel right and shifted up to 5th again exactly on apex, but i must say i started this morning with 6 to 5th, it feels like i have a little more stability and can coast longer in 5th to place te car on the apex, so i don't think it is faster, but i have more succes out of 10 tries, ( still did stuff up some realy nice ones there, i have seen a .2xx :banghead: :banghead: )

Straight i do go to 6 also, and directly to 4th for early apex on T1, cost a bit and floor it, you can make real time on Chaf there, but his 3th sector..... hell no:lol::lol:

I nearly fell in the L Shooter trap... did a 45.9 early on and decided to stop. Then by chance the day before I got some free time and inched to a safe time. Would have been my streak done and dusted.

The fact that it was a snow track just made it tougher to learn the subtlety to inch out extra tenths. Normally being less than half a second off someone like Tidgney would be safe. Eventually a dirt TT is coming and I'm not looking forward to it!

Lake Louise definitely not the toughest though, for me NSX Nords and Olympics were equally brutal. Didn't know my way round the Green Hell so it was like going back to school for the first week... :scared:

Leaderboard

1:12.721 - RX Vision
1:12.853 - Ford GT '17
1:12.948 - SLS AMG
1:13.043 - Beetle
1:13.076 - 911 RSR
1:13.113 - Viper
1:13.3XX - Gold cut-off
1:13.624 - Golf VGT
1:13.671 - Silhouette
And naturally, I had to try the last "meme" car, the Suzuki.

My god it was a horrible experience...didn't enjoy driving the car one bit. It also seems to have a motorbike engine in it, considering the ridiculous revs. :lol:

I even ignored the shifting lights because the car delivers max power on lower revs. The car is surprisingly quick, but just very hard to get a hold of.

Supra GT500 done now as well. Took me very little time to do a good lap as I've driven the car plenty before, plus it just handles sooooo well. :drool:

Last edited:
I first did 5th, downshift... get my angel right and shifted up to 5th again exactly on apex, but i must say i started this morning with 6 to 5th, it feels like i have a little more stability and can coast longer in 5th to place te car on the apex, so i don't think it is faster, but i have more succes out of 10 tries, ( still did stuff up some realy nice ones there, i have seen a .2xx :banghead: :banghead: )

Straight i do go to 6 also, and directly to 4th for early apex on T1, cost a bit and floor it, you can make real time on Chaf there, but his 3th sector..... hell no:lol::lol:
I watched Holl01’s lap (@Metalgear9493 ) and he never used 6th and he’s a second quicker than me, so figured there was no time to be gained and I just avoided the distraction 😂!

Last corner I keep in fifth and glide through - as you say very hard to be consistent (and you guys are half a second faster than me so what do I know), but I found when I get it right (10% of the time), my exit speed at the outside of the corner is around 133mph (214kmh)

Here are your individual results to date. I will add you to the scoreboards from the next TT.

By the way, I see you have one more gold medal than I have data for. I presume it was one of the US-only ones. If you (or anyone), could find the gran-turismo website link (like this: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/sportmode/event/7886/) to US-only events, please send them to me and I'll add them to the 'special' TTs once I get around to splitting them out.

I believe this is due to the HRC Honda TTs. As far as I know there haven't been any American only TTs. I golded both the Nurb and Suzuka TTs but only have 57 gold trophies in game as of right now.

Back