Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,102 comments
Now we also know the cars for the three upcoming TTs. Looking forward to the Supra specifically. View attachment 1313639
Usually I suck in road cars but as long as it runs at Spa I'm happy and motivated... The ring without Nord is also welcome (for sure a minority opinion...). So, without rest I look forward to race with you in 2024 again and wish you all a merry christmas!

Dolph's random musings:
  • I'm actually considering switching to the triggers for gas and brake. :scared: I just don't know how long the adjustment period would be. I'd have to learn what works best for gear changes, too.
I would like to officially invite you to the "Analog stick for throttle/brake" club. There is only one guy here...
Although I still have the wheel for most situations, I still believe using the analog for throttle/brake and keeping the gear shifts on R2/L2 feels very good. (Especially on the PS4).
I have to confess though that around 20 years of muscle memory has helped :dopey:

Last edited:
I would like to officially invite you to the "Analog stick for throttle/brake" club. There is only one guy here...
Although I still have the wheel for most situations, I still believe using the analog for throttle/brake and keeping the gear shifts on R2/L2 feels very good. (Especially on the PS4).
I have to confess though that around 20 years of muscle memory has helped :dopey:
I use the right stick for throttle/braking, too, with gears mapped to L1/R1. Additionally mapped the brake to L2 for trail braking and burnouts and hand brake to R2. Been using this since GT2 and while I tried multiple times adjusting to L2/R2 for gas/brake, my lap times are better and it just feels more comfortable using the sticks.

First test in Fuji with the META Honda NSX in 1'28'791 with optimal time at 1'28'602

17032604869406573430103125618083.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to add the video

Last edited:
Sadly yes, and 0.5 to 1 sec over my objective for this TT.
Same scores, 3 or 4 times per day, every day :banghead:
It's so frustrating sometimes when you are so close. I have found lately it's pretty easy to know whether I'm in the zone where the magic happens. If I stay off GT for more than 2 days, it's like learning all over again when I get back. Some days it's easy and some days it's impossible. There is much time to be found and persistence will help!! Good luck, and your time is nothing to shrug off. Top 5 percent of 160k people is fantastic!

One million drift points later...
DeepForestTT-GT350-almost3.jpg

Finally got rid of this ugly 46.
Optimal says 45.7, but as we all know such lap never comes.
This last session was good, actually managed to dip into 45s several times, but only just.
Improvement (by some hundredths ofcourse) is not impossible, but I don't know if I can stand the sound of those squeeky tires for much longer (and for so minor gain).
The next (and upcoming) time trials seem interesting, so maybe I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
It's so frustrating sometimes when you are so close. I have found lately it's pretty easy to know whether I'm in the zone where the magic happens. If I stay off GT for more than 2 days, it's like learning all over again when I get back. Some days it's easy and some days it's impossible. There is much time to be found and persistence will help!! Good luck, and your time is nothing to shrug off. Top 5 percent of 160k people is fantastic!
Thanks so much for your motivational reply, I really appreciate it.
I know, mental is 80% of the solution. Consistency and perseverance are the keys to success.
Still 5 days to unlock this problem (before facing the same issue on Fuji).

#KeepPushing

And i was close to " dead " 47s but yesterday i shoot a 46. mid .
I experiment with aids, with no aids ( only abs and TC ) but without them i went faster
Thanks my friend, your fantastics scores don't surprize me. At all. 0:46.5xx is really excellent!!

I have low ABS and TC1 with the Shelby. This is the "more comfortable" combo, for me, so far.
Because life is short, tomorrow I'll give another try without TC :D
#YOLO

Last edited:
Man, I can't wait to have a new session tomorrow morning, just tested some things quickly after giving myself an early christmas present ... 55" 4k 120hz Ambilight ... I did one lap with the family here but man.... my brain has to adapt! 🤣🤣 what a huge difference coming from a 40" HD 🫣! Love it!

Consistent! 👍👍
I notice in your bio you have the dd pro paired with the playseat challenge?

I'm still on the G29 and don't have room for a fixed set up...how do you find this set up with the playseat? Is it strong enough? And do you run the boost 👀👀

Man, I can't wait to have a new session tomorrow morning, just tested some things quickly after giving myself an early christmas present ... 55" 4k 120hz Ambilight ... I did one lap with the family here but man.... my brain has to adapt! 🤣🤣 what a huge difference coming from a 40" HD 🫣! Love it!
I’m still on a 32” - I am jealous of your extra inches 😉

I notice in your bio you have the dd pro paired with the playseat challenge?

I'm still on the G29 and don't have room for a fixed set up...how do you find this set up with the playseat? Is it strong enough? And do you run the boost 👀👀

It's way better than the way I used to play with a controller! It's flexy with the 8nm boost pack and bigger wheel (I use a Clubssport RS 320 day to day instead of the DD Pro toy wheel), for sure. I bought a stabilizer for the wheel deck and it helped, but it's not perfect. It works very very well for me, though. I'm 210lbs, and 6'1 tall and it holds my weight and my frame well. Mostly it's the fore and aft movement like if you were to pull the wheel directly into your chest or push it away, so honestly the flex doesn't affect the stability of the whole setup too much.

In short, far from ideal, but ideal for me with my limited room.

Last edited:
I remember visiting my buddy's house when GT6? came out. He had had his controller mapped out the same way. I couldn't wrap my brain around it at all. Needless to say, I spent more time flying off the track, randomly coasting around, accidentally accelerating going into corners, and braking coming out of the turns. I was a mess! :lol:

Today morning I was still driving Nissan and made minor improvement, to 49.4xx.
At evening session switched to NSX and immediately posted better time, going to low 49s.

And then happened one quick lap, after numerous tries: 1:28.582!

18c93347edb76-screenshotUrl.jpg

Here is video of it:

BTW, I made one nice anniversary, 50 000km passed!
I know many of you have much more, but this is something too...
And game doesn't count time driven from TTs - and there I have it way the most, 200-300h for sure.

18c9335117486-screenshotUrl.jpg

It's way better than the way I used to play with a controller! It's flexy with the 8nm boost pack and bigger wheel (I use a Clubssport RS 320 day to day instead of the DD Pro toy wheel), for sure. I bought a stabilizer for the wheel deck and it helped, but it's not perfect. It works very very well for me, though. I'm 210lbs, and 6'1 tall and it holds my weight and my frame well. Mostly it's the fore and aft movement like if you were to pull the wheel directly into your chest or push it away, so honestly the flex doesn't affect the stability of the whole setup too much.

In short, far from ideal, but ideal for me with my limited room.
Thank you so much for the feedback....I've been toying with it for a while.

Is the standard wheel that bad? And does the boost pack make that much difference?

Apologies for the spam!

Today morning I was still driving Nissan and made minor improvement, to 49.4xx.
At evening session switched to NSX and immediately posted better time, going to low 49s.

And then happened one quick lap, after numerous tries: 1:28.582!

View attachment 1313744

Here is video of it:

BTW, I made one nice anniversary, 50 000km passed!
I know many of you have much more, but this is something too...
And game doesn't count time driven from TTs - and there I have it way the most, 200-300h for sure.

View attachment 1313746

Music Rally wants some attention. 🤣

Back