Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,102 comments
Today morning I was still driving Nissan and made minor improvement, to 49.4xx.
At evening session switched to NSX and immediately posted better time, going to low 49s.

And then happened one quick lap, after numerous tries: 1:28.582!

View attachment 1313744

Here is video of it:

BTW, I made one nice anniversary, 50 000km passed!
I know many of you have much more, but this is something too...
And game doesn't count time driven from TTs - and there I have it way the most, 200-300h for sure.

View attachment 1313746

Nice work.

I found this with Willow, start without the meta car and try to keep improving, then jump in the meta and it comes together so easy.

It's way better than the way I used to play with a controller! It's flexy with the 8nm boost pack and bigger wheel (I use a Clubssport RS 320 day to day instead of the DD Pro toy wheel), for sure. I bought a stabilizer for the wheel deck and it helped, but it's not perfect. It works very very well for me, though. I'm 210lbs, and 6'1 tall and it holds my weight and my frame well. Mostly it's the fore and aft movement like if you were to pull the wheel directly into your chest or push it away, so honestly the flex doesn't affect the stability of the whole setup too much.

In short, far from ideal, but ideal for me with my limited room.
I'm interested... :)

Made it into the 27s by the skin of my teeth. Good bye Fuji, please let the door hit you on your way out :crazy:

18c9397d6ea86-screenshotUrl.jpg

Well, I made the change to my controller setup. It was predictably disastrous for quite some time before I could get somewhat used to it. But...almost 100 miles in and I bested my time from yesterday. I was NOT expecting that on my first attempt using this method. The gain was small (1:28.222 yesterday), but I should only get faster once I've rewired my brain. :D
IMG_2742.jpg

I want to get back to the Shelby, but I have a feeling I won't be gaining on my best there before that TT ends.

I remember visiting my buddy's house when GT6? came out. He had had his controller mapped out the same way. I couldn't wrap my brain around it at all. Needless to say, I spent more time flying off the track, randomly coasting around, accidentally accelerating going into corners, and braking coming out of the turns. I was a mess! :lol:
Wait until you go to a wheel. You will be 2-3 seconds slower and doing the same mistakes all the while scratching your head trying to figure out why. I am told it gets better with more practice - lets hope so because right now I am tired visiting the sand pits or slamming on the brakes when I just wanted to touch them lightly.

Wait until you go to a wheel. You will be 2-3 seconds slower and doing the same mistakes all the while scratching your head trying to figure out why. I am told it gets better with more practice - lets hope so because right now I am tired visiting the sand pits or slamming on the brakes when I just wanted to touch them lightly.
I'm sure you will get used to the wheel. I've heard the same about it. Once you get over the learning curve, you'll be blasting your old times out of the water.

I would have purchased a wheel years ago if not for a physical disability. Even my car in real life I use hand controls. Quite frankly, the switch to hand controls over pedals I had been using for years was actually easier than the controller change has been. :lol:

I fully expected it framed and delivered to my address with my name on it.

Otherwise, what's the point? And what's the problem with printing a couple thousand of these to send out to people?

I get that it's not even really that big of an achievement but this feels uncharacteristically cheap, they literally just linked us a .jpg.

I guess I can just print it and sign it myself, but it doesn't feel as official.

Haha if the idea is to lower players expecations repeatedly, they've achieved that. Dead ringer.

Wheel is exceptionally unforgiving when it comes down to car control. While it lets you give more precise control, trying to catch a spin requires some lightning reflex.

I spent nearly a month or 2 just to get myself back up to speed...but it was worth it. Not because it is faster, but it is more fun. Also, it really let me practice all those driving techniques.

My suggestion is to drive something slower....like the mx5 or E30 M3 and do it at the Nurburgring. Don't go 10/10....drive more like 8/10, don't bother with the lap time. Focus on keeping the car under control, and just have fun.

Wheel is exceptionally unforgiving when it comes down to car control. While it lets you give more precise control, trying to catch a spin requires some lightning reflex.

I spent nearly a month or 2 just to get myself back up to speed...but it was worth it. Not because it is faster, but it is more fun. Also, it really let me practice all those driving techniques.

My suggestion is to drive something slower....like the mx5 or E30 M3 and do it at the Nurburgring. Don't go 10/10....drive more like 8/10, don't bother with the lap time. Focus on keeping the car under control, and just have fun.
Yes your suggestion is what a lot of my team members have told me and it does work. I am getting better (I believe) and having a blast driving\racing again. I personally use the DS3 since it is one of my favorite cars and have several variants (stock to super charged).

I'm sure you will get used to the wheel. I've heard the same about it. Once you get over the learning curve, you'll be blasting your old times out of the water.

I would have purchased a wheel years ago if not for a physical disability. Even my car in real life I use hand controls. Quite frankly, the switch to hand controls over pedals I had been using for years was actually easier than the controller change has been. :lol:
I have said from minute one of joining you guys in this thread that you are my hero. The times you put down with the method you've used have always astounded me. Even more so now. I run heavy equipment for a living and consider myself pretty dextrous, but could never ever get close to you with a controller.

I have said from minute one of joining you guys in this thread that you are my hero. The times you put down with the method you've used have always astounded me. Even more so now. I run heavy equipment for a living and consider myself pretty dextrous, but could never ever get close to you with a controller.
Driving fast is not just about being dexterous. It is a very mental demanding exercise. The amount of information the brain has to process when you are driving the car at the limit is astonishing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is similar to playing a piano.

Ran a bit at Fuji. At 1:33.386. Well into Bronze, far from Silver.
Am struggling s lot with this one .
Just want to break the 1.30 mark but can't do it yet.
I test almost all cars but nothing.
Ill leave this for next week when i come back and have the time due to Christmas holidays.
Seems too fast and twitchy for my age 😵 while needed surgery moves to do a decent lap.
If i got 29 ill be happy.

Thanks for the kinds words! Years of practice have played a part in being fast with that method.
Driving fast is not just about being dexterous. It is a very mental demanding exercise. The amount of information the brain has to process when you are driving the car at the limit is astonishing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is similar to playing a piano.
This is true, too. Concentration and reflexes are also pivotal. I'm lucky I haven't lost those skills yet.

Yes your suggestion is what a lot of my team members have told me and it does work. I am getting better (I believe) and having a blast driving\racing again. I personally use the DS3 since it is one of my favorite cars and have several variants (stock to super charged).
You'll get there! I play regularly with a small group of friends and have always been very evenly matched with one in particular. I upgraded to a wheel about 6 months ago, my pace dropped significantly for the first month, then gradually improved. After 2 months I was back on par with my hated rival dear friend. Only in the last month or so have I begun to pull away, we're both improving but I think the wheel is giving me the edge now that I'm used to it.

@Evilmuffin is absolutely right though, it's very hard to catch a snap, oversteer can be a nightmare to tame and some cars are really problematic.

Thanks for the kinds words! Years of practice have played a part in being fast with that method.

This is true, too. Concentration and reflexes are also pivotal. I'm lucky I haven't lost those skills yet.
If I got it correctly you switched from X and square to L2 R2? Right? If you are on DualSense I would definitely go on Shelby Deep Forest TT because haptic feedback on tires there is just 10/10 if that one won't help you to learn how much to press gas then I don't know which one will.

Hi,

I am just into gold territory at Fuji. I also have lots of spare time on my hands this week. I hope I can improve quite a lot. I know and can see where I am losing time. Practice, practice, practice!

As some of you guys have been talking about wheels....

If you are considering it - Do it!!!

Going to a wheel from a controller has improved my times and my enjoyment immensely! It took a little while to adjust but I am wayyyyy quicker now. It was worth every single penny!

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

2 sessions this morning on Deep Forest with 5 to 10 laps each, both in a range of 1:47.1xx - 1:47.7xx ... :nervous:

I will stop this TT until tomorrow or monday. Maybe it will be better then.

Take care of the ones you love, friends. Enjoy these holidays (if you celebrate) and Merry Christmas 🎄🎅 to everyone.

Let's say it's my Christmas present...

View attachment 1313884
Have a nice Christmas holidays Daniel and all the boys and girls ( we might have some) here .
From tomorrow morning ill be back on Tuesday and it will be the first period without a daily login after march that i bought the game.
Next week am not working, so ill do some job painting the doors of a closet in my house and of course give the game an " overheating " 😄
Today was the last day at work and am a bit of a drunk right now but hopefully at noon ill be ok to make some spins .

Merry Christmas to all of you and may your wishes become a reality.

Last edited:
Back