Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,139 comments
@Lomic

Not a bad lap at all, what I noticed

T1 tighter to the wall , and a little more early on gas right on the apex 😁

Eau Rouge you are lifting way to much and you can go on throttle way sooner, this will give you so much time there!

T3 after straight.... get closer to the right bollards
Staying on the left after that is good. 😀

For the right hander try to stay close to the ballard and try to hit the throttle before the apex ( I would say in 4th but I see you have AT )

The hairpin is quite ok, try to see it as a 2 corner apex, you can go in fairly hard and hit apex one, then loose it and rotate again to the second one,

The left hander after that is good, you can try to get more to the right using all of the track that would open your chance to rotate and makes placing the car in this akward corner a little easier ( still most difficult corner on track )

The left hander after that, after the little straight, your entry is quite good, but you can go on throttle for the second part of the corner way sooner and use the curb fully on exit .

The esses after that are good, nice line , try to maximize the exit and use the curbs

The righthander after that, that's how like it!
Embrace the bollard

View attachment 1316207
Now this is close ladies and gents

The fast left hander before the chicane you can go a lot faster thru there, try to get as far on the right as possible, just stay on the Grey with you left wheels, right fully on the greens and lift off on the start of the blue signs on the right and slide it thru,

The last chicane try to hit the last apex, that more important then hitting the first one

Not a bad lap mate, you got most of the line right, just need to maximize track use and you will shave of some time!

And I would def! Loose the ASM and TCS here, it not that difficult to drive without assists so I would certainly give that a try 😁👌

Good luck! And we will see your improvement soon I think 😁🙏

(I share my replays also for some reference 😁)
I am going to record some videos later on today, so be looking out for them. Either today or tomorrow, I'll keep you all posted.

@Lomic

Not a bad lap at all, what I noticed
Thanks for taking the time to have a look and to give me a full feedback !
T1 tighter to the wall , and a little more early on gas right on the apex 😁
This corner is one of those I struggle with atm, but I've since found a better way to pass it (which ends up regularly in me hitting the inside wall)
Eau Rouge you are lifting way to much and you can go on throttle way sooner, this will give you so much time there!
At the moment, I find that going through Eau Rouge rather conservatively is my better way of dealing with it, each time I try to be more aggressive with my entry speed or the moment I put throttle again I end up invalidating my lap either by clipping on the left or at the exit on the right.

I am 100% aware that it leads to a long straight where there is a lot of time to gain or lose depending on the speed when exiting Eau Rouge. And in fact, even going through cautiously, I often find myself losing time after time which is a bit demoralizing as I know that I won't make it back and it is another "useless" lap. At least when I exit with a good speed and see my time go down I have hope to keep some until the finish line.
T3 after straight.... get closer to the right bollards
Staying on the left after that is good. 😀

For the right hander try to stay close to the ballard and try to hit the throttle before the apex ( I would say in 4th but I see you have AT )
Now I try to brake a bit earlier to be able to go through T3 and T4 in a tighter line, aiming for the bollards in T3
The hairpin is quite ok, try to see it as a 2 corner apex, you can go in fairly hard and hit apex one, then loose it and rotate again to the second one,
I'll have to look at some replays as I don't see the 2 corner apex, I used to brake a bit later but it was making me go wide and take a long time to go around this corner.
The left hander after that is good, you can try to get more to the right using all of the track that would open your chance to rotate and makes placing the car in this akward corner a little easier ( still most difficult corner on track )
This corner is rather mysterious at the moment, never sure how to go through. I try to pass closer to the bollards and be on throttle as early as possible
The left hander after that, after the little straight, your entry is quite good, but you can go on throttle for the second part of the corner way sooner and use the curb fully on exit .
I've changed a little the way I go through that one now, my difficulty is always the amount of throttle to maximise speed but not go out on the right at the end of the turn
The esses after that are good, nice line , try to maximize the exit and use the curbs
I try to have a nice line there, it is one of the sectors where I know my braking point and it is a matter or having a nice line, not much to lose or to win, just be as clean as possible.
The righthander after that, that's how like it!
Embrace the bollard

View attachment 1316207
Now this is close ladies and gents
ahah that's me ? 😅 I use bumper cam so I never know really where my car is but it is the widest view to my taste and I feel like I see the elements sooner than with other views.

this double right hander is also one of my pet peeves, if I managed to keep some time from before I can see everything dropping out in the long full throttle section after that if I go through it poorly.
The fast left hander before the chicane you can go a lot faster thru there, try to get as far on the right as possible, just stay on the Grey with you left wheels, right fully on the greens and lift off on the start of the blue signs on the right and slide it thru,
Same way of approaching it as Eau Rouge : better safe than sorry 😅 at my current level of knowledge of this combo, I have much more to lose going in too agressively than going through more easily. I'll try to use more green on the entry
The last chicane try to hit the last apex, that more important then hitting the first one
Have to look other replays for this one, I think I have a good braking point on the entry to arrive with a manageable speed at the first apex, but never sure what path to follow after that.
Not a bad lap mate, you got most of the line right, just need to maximize track use and you will shave of some time!
Thanks for this complete feedback !
And I would def! Loose the ASM and TCS here, it not that difficult to drive without assists so I would certainly give that a try 😁👌
I feel like removing those is a way to shave some tenths at the peak of my possibilities and that at the moment, they are not hindering that much but I'll try so see if I can manage without

Last edited:
so, last night, I didn't smell the obstacle: I stumbled over it.....😅

ouuuhh how I don't like this car.....and the pleasure it gives to go grazing on the grass as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator......a bit like the Honda did at the Schleife......

the Mustang GT 350 was fickle and whimsical, but all you had to do was slide it off the 4 wheels, and it didn't have this behavioral problem when transferring weight to the front....

it must be a change in the physics of the game, because I find that more and more cars behave this way....it wasn't the case before.

there's something I can't do or don't know how to do.......so, yes, if it's to turn in 2'46, I can do it, but from memory, I'm at 2' 44.0 and I don't see how I could gain 1.5" when I'm already in agony everywhere....🤔🤔😅

what's more, as soon as I try to push a bit, I spend my life in red, miles and miles for nothing.....

the left before Pouhon is a horror and often the terminus, entering Pouhon is a nightmare, the rest is fine, but at my pace....far from gold....

250 HP, I thought that after the NSX, my old neurons would appreciate it......but no, they're annoyed at not being able to do it. 😂😂

too bad, no 3rd gold medal in a row...... 😥

I'll have to wait until Thursday and the Toy GT500 at Trial Mountain, and settle for silver at Spa (a shame, as I love this circuit)....

and something tells me that with the Mazda RX8 at NurGP, it's likely to be the same story.... ☹️☹️😂😂

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

so, last night, I didn't smell the obstacle: I stumbled over it.....😅

ouuuhh how I don't like this car.....and the pleasure it gives to go grazing on the grass as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator......a bit like the Honda did at the Schleife......

the Mustang GT 350 was fickle and whimsical, but all you had to do was slide it off the 4 wheels, and it didn't have this behavioral problem when transferring weight to the front....

it must be a change in the physics of the game, because I find that more and more cars behave this way....it wasn't the case before.

there's something I can't do or don't know how to do.......so, yes, if it's to turn in 2'46, I can do it, but from memory, I'm at 2' 44.0 and I don't see how I could gain 1.5" when I'm already in agony everywhere....🤔🤔😅

what's more, as soon as I try to push a bit, I spend my life in red, miles and miles for nothing.....

the left before Pouhon is a horror and often the terminus, entering Pouhon is a nightmare, the rest is fine, but at my pace....far from gold....

250 HP, I thought that after the NSX, my old neurons would appreciate it......but no, they're annoyed at not being able to do it. 😂😂

too bad, no 3rd gold medal in a row...... 😥

I'll have to wait until Thursday and the Toy GT500 at Trial Mountain, and settle for silver at Spa (a shame, as I love this circuit)....

and something tells me that with the Mazda RX8 at NurGP, it's likely to be the same story.... ☹️☹️😂😂

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Throw a lap video here and we will take a look. From what you were describing, you could be over driving the car. Brake 1/2 a car length earlier and instead going from 0 to 100% braking force instantly, slow it down a bit (maybe 1/2 a second?). Also, not all corners need 100% braking.

GT7 has come to life for me this year with getting involved in the TTs.

Before this year I don't think I even touched sport mode, I just drifted in lobby's, joined a few races and made liverys.

It kicked off with the Gazoo Cup that I really enjoyed and that gave me the push to run the TTs, and with following this thread with all of the support, help, replays and laughs that it has brought I have got stuck into it.

Outside of GT7 TTs, IRL I have had a few lessons in drifting and have been getting my little weekend toy ready for some trackdays in 2024 (even the missus wants to drive it on track 😍).

Thank you all and enjoy your new year celebrations.

View attachment 1315575
View attachment 1315576View attachment 1315577View attachment 1315578View attachment 1315579View attachment 1315580

Some IRL
View attachment 1315581View attachment 1315582View attachment 1315583View attachment 1315584View attachment 1315586View attachment 1315587
View attachment 1315588View attachment 1315589View attachment 1315590View attachment 1315591View attachment 1315592View attachment 1315593View attachment 1315594View attachment 1315595

Happy 2023 / 2024.... I will crack that C4 next year 🤪
A late respond, I know... but I must confess that I have dreamed for a long time to own myself a 350Z for track & drift fun. I am jealous and you can be a happy man! Wish you an awesome 2024!

New test today in Spa and after more laps I improve my time with 00'600 at 2'41'343

17042899365632040850586287587127.jpg

Last edited:
A late respond, I know... but I must confess that I have dreamed for a long time to own myself a 350Z for track & drift fun. I am jealous and you can be a happy man! Wish you an awesome 2024!
Thank you, they are much more stable than the Lexus/Toyota in the other picture, so much more balanced plus the V6 gives a bit more grunt too.

Happy new year to you too, time to start chasing those gold medals again 😜

New test today in Spa and after more laps I improve my time with 00'600 at 2'41'343

View attachment 1316256

Mega lap mon copin!

If I may give you a sugestion 😁
T9 go to 4th before the apex, you wil win a lot of time!, same for T11, stay in 4th was a lot faster for me 👌
Your lift off at Pouhon did cost you some time 2.

But a great lap!, man you got fast this year, insane progression, well done!

Mega lap mon copin!

If I may give you a sugestion 😁
T9 go to 4th before the apex, you wil win a lot of time!, same for T11, stay in 4th was a lot faster for me 👌
Your lift off at Pouhon did cost you some time 2.

But a great lap!, man you got fast this year, insane progression, well done!
Thank you my friend for your suggestions. But I have difficulty in 4th not to go off the track. This is why in turns 9 and 11 I stay in 3rd. But I will try to do as you tell me. Merci encore mon ami :cheers:

I did some microsector analysis of my 2:44.661:

1704295209776.png

radillon - I lose a lot of time because of the low speed in the eau rouge: I already knew this, I need to get more confidence. in my ride I lift before the end of the descent, instead of doing it just after the change of slope. Easy said than done.
malmedy - I don't position myself well after les combes and compromise apex speed. I am actually also very afraid of track limits
paul frere - very afraid of track limits and of ending up on that part of the outside curb that compromises traction
honorable mention to the chicane - if I do it twice equal is pure luck, let alone do it equal and well!

Otherwise I leave time everywhere, but Spa is Spa not for nothing

I don't think I can aspire to gold, but I want to try to improve in these 3 points

zjn
I did some microsector analysis of my 2:44.661:

View attachment 1316261

radillon - I lose a lot of time because of the low speed in the eau rouge: I already knew this, I need to get more confidence. in my ride I lift before the end of the descent, instead of doing it just after the change of slope. Easy said than done.
malmedy - I don't position myself well after les combes and compromise apex speed. I am actually also very afraid of track limits
paul frere - very afraid of track limits and of ending up on that part of the outside curb that compromises traction
honorable mention to the chicane - if I do it twice equal is pure luck, let alone do it equal and well!

Otherwise I leave time everywhere, but Spa is Spa not for nothing

I don't think I can aspire to gold, but I want to try to improve in these 3 points

Work on Eau Rouge. You are talking about a whole second gain for that section alone. Since it is the beginning of a lap, no big deal if you bin it.

Lift and go right back to the throttle here
Screenshot_20240103_110410_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Tens of laps on Spa today with 90% in red... :banghead: and among the 10% left, only very few below 2:44 :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sector 1: 0:45.647 to 0:45.789 - consistency is the key

Sector 2: 1:14.466 to 1:15.208 - did'nt found the key yet (I'm very consistent but not on the best way)

Sector 3: 0:42.959 to 0:43.249 - consistency is the key

I know that my 1st and 3rd sectors are far from perfect but if I gain 0.5 to 1 sec on the 2nd one, I should be very close to gold.
I've watched some videos, follow different ghosts, I really love this mythic circuit (been there several time), I've golded the CE, but... I am unable to turn all this experience into gold for now :(

All this long monologue lead us to this absolutely brilliant aphorism:

"Racing at Spa is a simple game; some friends chase a gold reward for 2:42 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
- Me

Tens of laps on Spa today with 90% in red... :banghead: and among the 10% left, only very few below 2:44 :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sector 1: 0:45.647 to 0:45.789 - consistency is the key

Sector 2: 1:14.466 to 1:15.208 - did'nt found the key yet (I'm very consistent but not on the best way)

Sector 3: 0:42.959 to 0:43.249 - consistency is the key

I know that my 1st and 3rd sectors are far from perfect but if I gain 0.5 to 1 sec on the 2nd one, I should be very close to gold.
I've watched some videos, follow different ghosts, I really love this mythic circuit (been there several time), I've golded the CE, but... I am unable to turn all this experience into gold for now :(

All this long monologue lead us to this absolutely brilliant aphorism:

"Racing at Spa is a simple game; some friends chase a gold reward for 2:42 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
- Me
Time to ditch the automatic :dunce:

For sector 2 and 3, there are a good 2 seconds you can gain (combined) reasonably easy. You just have to be brave with the throttle and trust the car will stick.

Time to ditch the automatic :dunce:

For sector 2 and 3, there are a good 2 seconds you can gain (combined) reasonably easy. You just have to be brave with the throttle and trust the car will stick.
Merci Mister Muffin for your help :)

I've tested the MT yesterday on High Speed Ring with a Gr.4 car. I need to train more because it's confusing but promising.

Yes you're right that's probably my problem for the 2 last sectors. And I'm also scared of these ****** bollards :ouch:
Tomorrow, I'm going to assault this beautiful Italian :D

Work on Eau Rouge. You are talking about a whole second gain for that section alone. Since it is the beginning of a lap, no big deal if you bin it.

Lift and go right back to the throttle here
View attachment 1316290
Thanks, good point about beginning of the lap

I'll work on it at the next session.
So, Is the blimp off the gas needed to transfer weight more than slowing down?

did a short session today after my la Sarthe race .
Didn't start well , in fact not well at all, red laps , restarts, 2.44.-2.43 mid etc.
Intermission for 15 minutes and start again.
Ghost is confusing me so i just keep an eye in the timer .
After some mostly red laps and one white 🤣 i restart again and in about 3 laps ,went down to 2.42 185 ,very close to my personal best.
Must practice first turn and eau rouge, hopefully is at the start of the lap and is amazing how much you can gain if you take them " right " , also amazing is how much you gain or loose in general due to wrong braking , wrong input etc.etc.
Hopefully is enough time for that to " string" together most parts and go at safe gold at 41,s high.

For sure the next TT doesn't fit me , too fast for a GOD* !!!!!

* GOD from Grumpy OLD Dude .

Edit
Just transfer this cause i post it on wrong thread.
It never comes along they say .....

Last edited:
did a short session today after my la Sarthe race .
Didn't start well , in fact not well at all, red laps , restarts, 2.44.-2.43 mid etc.
Intermission for 15 minutes and start again.
Ghost is confusing me so i just keep an eye in the timer .
After some mostly red laps and one white 🤣 i restart again and in about 3 laps ,went down to 2.42 185 ,very close to my personal best.
Must practice first turn and eau rouge, hopefully is at the start of the lap and is amazing how much you can gain if you take them " right " , also amazing is how much you gain or loose in general due to wrong braking , wrong input etc.etc.
Hopefully is enough time for that to " string" together most parts and go at safe gold at 41,s high.

For sure the next TT doesn't fit me , too fast for a GOD* !!!!!

* GOD from Grumpy OLD Dude .
Use a slower ghost, do 2 sighting laps and then practice T1 trail braking.

Then and this is the most important for gold, don't follow the ghosts. They will hug everything.

You don't need to do that, if you aren't braking when you see the ghosts braking you are going deep/wide.

It doesn't matter how far you are back, it teaches you to cadence/trail brake and you'll go faster for the better exits.

This car as I said, it's like an Elise, you don't attack the corners rather flow/brake in to them with focus on momentum and exit speed at Spa.

Head down and crack on you can do this!

zjn
Thanks, good point about beginning of the lap

I'll work on it at the next session.
So, Is the blimp off the gas needed to transfer weight more than slowing down?
Yup .. basically it is just transfer the weight forward, so you don't drive off the road. In the beginning, start with a 1 second full lift, just so you get used to it. Once you are comfortable with it, reduce it to a 1/2 a second full lift. Then to 1/2 a seoncd 70-80% lift. The goal is a quick 70-80% lift then punch the throttle again. I still don't know how the Alien can full throttle the whole thing, since I'm not one of them....I will settle with the a quick lift 🤪

More on topic, I managed to improve my Spa time by almost half a second to 2:41,969 thanks mainly to the feedback provided by @PlanetJanet and @Barareklam, so special shout-outs to you guys. I guess I could leave it at that, but I forgot to use my own 4C and now my saved trophy replay has this generic white car in it ... not sure if I can live with that :D
Turns out I could not 😅

1704328301567.png

1704328340613.png

18cd1ff1dd164-screenshotUrl.png

Not recommended to leave this for the final night, took longer than I'd hoped. S3 is such a killer. Gonna be a walking zombie at work tomorrow. When will I learn? :lol: :banghead:

Anyway, I'd be surprised if I drop out of the top 100 here, perhaps ending 96th? A 1'26 would've been sweet but yeah... stop doing TT's on the final day... Oh well, good night.

Finally managed to get my time down to a 1:28,476, with the SC430 of all cars!
IMG_0987.jpg

This is as good as it will get so i moved on to the 4C at Spa and after 3 laps already managed a 41!

IMG_0985.jpg

It's only since this week that i started to grind the Time Trials again so i'm just happy to get gold.

Last edited:
Back