Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 33,189 comments
I got really sidetracked yesterday at Mount Doom, did 107 laps in a row and finally got a superb time of 2'05.029!! Of all the 2 and a half years I've raced in GT, I've never gotten a time this low in a Group 3/4 car so I was really ecstatic about it last night.
my goal is to get a sub 2'02.000!
I don't think that it's a reasonable expectation - or goal - to drop three seconds from your fastest ever lap (a 2.5% improvement), which took you more than 100 laps to achieve.

In fact this is beginning to be a theme. I've been keeping an eye on this thread recently, and you're making a lot of posts about what your targets are and they're always this sort of thing.

At Autopolis, after about a dozen posts of not actually driving the event, you were aiming to "get in a 1'55 club, maybe even the 1'54 club" and talking about getting a gold, but your actual final time (as posted in the thread) was a 1'57.697 - firmly silver. The difference between a 1'54.x and a 1'55.x is big (it's harder to find time the quicker you are) but irrelevantly so because the difference between what you actually got and your goal was almost 2.5 seconds (2.3%) and that's huge.

It does you no good whatsoever to make post after post after post with these ridiculous targets that you can't hope to achieve (yet); you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

There's nothing wrong with being the level you are and wanting to improve (or even not; there's no reason you can't be satisfied with regular silvers), but you don't improve by wishing yourself 2% faster. You need to focus on getting the basics right (several members have left helpful comments on your videos to this end) rather than setting yourself unrealistic goals so publicly - often before even driving the event.

When you're getting the basics right, consistently, you'll be in silver without even trying. Then you can focus on finesse to improve your lines, braking, balance, and acceleration, and have a reasonable expectation of being near the gold threshold more often.

It won't be a quick process either. You need to learn when you're losing time, sector by sector (look at the split times of someone like @Tidgney - he may be 4% faster than you but you can compare the difference in the splits and see where you're furthest away from him), corner by corner (and if it's entry, mid, or exit), gear shift by gear shift.

Doing 100 laps by yourself doesn't teach you anything if you're just making the same mistakes and don't know that you are, and trying to follow someone who's seven seconds a lap faster than you won't help at all.

The ghosts are too distracting so I would rather watch the guides.
Guides are fine, but ghosts show you more. Find the slowest ghost you can (one that's faster than you but by the smallest amount; half a second to a second is fine), set the offset to 0.3 seconds and reset each sector, and follow it. Don't try to beat it, just follow it. Eventually you'll beat it by accident, so then find a ghost that's quicker (half a second to a second again) and do it again.

Combine that with the information about corner gears and braking points (always take the earlier one, not the later one; we're not good enough to make the later braking points work), and you'll get faster incrementally.

I don't think that it's a reasonable expectation - or goal - to drop three seconds from your fastest ever lap (a 2.5% improvement), which took you more than 100 laps to achieve.

In fact this is beginning to be a theme. I've been keeping an eye on this thread recently, and you're making a lot of posts about what your targets are and they're always this sort of thing.

At Autopolis, after about a dozen posts of not actually driving the event, you were aiming to "get in a 1'55 club, maybe even the 1'54 club" and talking about getting a gold, but your actual final time (as posted in the thread) was a 1'57.697 - firmly silver. The difference between a 1'54.x and a 1'55.x is big (it's harder to find time the quicker you are) but irrelevantly so because the difference between what you actually got and your goal was almost 2.5 seconds (2.3%) and that's huge.

It does you no good whatsoever to make post after post after post with these ridiculous targets that you can't hope to achieve (yet); you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

There's nothing wrong with being the level you are and wanting to improve (or even not; there's no reason you can't be satisfied with regular silvers), but you don't improve by wishing yourself 2% faster. You need to focus on getting the basics right (several members have left helpful comments on your videos to this end) rather than setting yourself unrealistic goals so publicly - often before even driving the event.

When you're getting the basics right, consistently, you'll be in silver without even trying. Then you can focus on finesse to improve your lines, braking, balance, and acceleration, and have a reasonable expectation of being near the gold threshold more often.

It won't be a quick process either. You need to learn when you're losing time, sector by sector (look at the split times of someone like @Tidgney - he may be 4% faster than you but you can compare the difference in the splits and see where you're furthest away from him), corner by corner (and if it's entry, mid, or exit), gear shift by gear shift.

Doing 100 laps by yourself doesn't teach you anything if you're just making the same mistakes and don't know that you are, and trying to follow someone who's seven seconds a lap faster than you won't help at all.

Guides are fine, but ghosts show you more. Find the slowest ghost you can (one that's faster than you but by the smallest amount; half a second to a second is fine), set the offset to 0.3 seconds and reset each sector, and follow it. Don't try to beat it, just follow it. Eventually you'll beat it by accident, so then find a ghost that's quicker (half a second to a second again) and do it again.

Combine that with the information about corner gears and braking points (always take the earlier one, not the later one; we're not good enough to make the later braking points work), and you'll get faster incrementally.
Agreed. I struggle with braking points. My nemesis. It's SO easy to enter turns with too much speed. Which kills the exit and then the lap. A few tenths slow here and there really adds up.

I love Tigney's videos. However, I can't match his smoothness. Or any of the other Gold-reaching drivers. And never will.

If I can get into Silver once in a while, I'm happy about that. If I'm within a second of Silver in my first 1/2 hour, I'll spend the time chasing it. I don't want to devote the amount of time needed to get proficient enough to be in Silver every week. Especially if it's a car/track combo I don't care for.

18db7917b3b1-screenshotUrl.jpg

Found a little time... what a super fun car at a track I enjoy. Plus even if you aren't making time, hanging this car out might be one of the most fun things to do in this game. This car and track (for me) is a really really fun combo. I can definitely hunt time here and be successful. Cheers all. Happy lapping. 🍻🍻

Another long positive session on Dragon Trail where I've saved near 0.9 sec on my previous PB :sly:

The lines start to be clear to follow but I still need to improve some parts of the track, like the "hairpin" before the long straight, to be satisfied.

The livery is clearly a game changer and I recommend every one to apply one on your 190 if you haven't did it yet.

1708183266323.png

I'm still in silver at 1:54.139 and gold is now 0.255. My laps are now more "easier" but not yet optimal and I lack consistency: 1 lap on 3 is in red, 1 lap on 3 is over 1:55...

Sector 1: 40.324 - The only consistent sector, for now.
Sector 2: 37.292 - Not yet optimal, lack of consistency here.
Sector 3: 36.523 - Same as S2, I can save almost 0.5 here.

My optimal is now in yellow territory at 1:53.531 :dopey:

#ATTACK

Last edited:
Another long positive session on Dragon Trail where I've saved near 0.9 sec on my previous PB :sly:

The lines start to be clear to follow but I still need to improve some parts of the track, like the "hairpin" before the long straight, to have be satisfied.

The livery is clearly a game changer and I recommend every one to apply one on your 190 if you haven't did it yet.

View attachment 1328876

I'm still in silver at 1:54.139 and gold is now 0.255. My laps are now more "easier" but not yet optimal and I lack consistency: 1 lap on 3 is in red, 1 lap on 3 is over 1:55...

Sector 1: 40.324 - The only consistent sector, for now.
Sector 2: 37.292 - Not yet optimal, lack of consistency here.
Sector 3: 36.523 - Same as S2, I can save almost 0.5 here.

My optimal is now in yellow territory at 1:53.531 :dopey:

#ATTACK

I had to admit that you're better " dancer " than me , you have the move inside you.....
200 (1).gif

Although some times , i have better style.....
cute-baby-dance-c0gbxpbz88ba0205.gif

Well I ran this Dragon Tail on flat screen but I hooked up my wheel to my PC and updated all the firmwares first. Hasn't been feeling quite right lately. And then used the WRC wheel which feels a lot nicer than the tiny stock GT DD PRO wheel and it'll be the same size as the GT DD Extreme so that's cool. I'm going to enjoy the GT DD X wheel size.

Easily got gold but some corners were good (for me) and some were bad (even for me LOL) on my one gold lap.. All green sectors but still messed up a few corners. I think I can gain a full second on my lap. I'm probably going to try that for a session next in VR and then go back to reclaim gold on Mount Panorama before that closes. I only need a 10th of a sec. there. This Dragon Tail TT is fun though, MP felt like work! But both still fun and challenging in their own way. ✌

Not a great lap but first gold lap!

IMG_4255.JPG

time trials results so far IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

SIM RIG: Fanatec GT DD Pro 8nm - Clubsport QR1 // CSL Elite v2 Pedals // ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 // ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 + (not hooked up) // Sim-Seats SR-X Racing Rig // 2 x 50 watt 4 Ohm AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Tactile Transducers

Last edited:
zjn
I had to concede to the dark side for this, tcs1 and csa gave me the extra bust,
This is perfectly ok. I tried many combos and ultimately tsc1 and counter steer strong were by far my fastest.
Mount Panorama GT3 Record, real world, interesting to see the lines he is taking.

In car

Replay

That really looks very similar to what we’ve been doing. Though I swear I heard him hit the wall. I call invalidated lap! 😀

Last edited:
Agreed. I struggle with braking points. My nemesis. It's SO easy to enter turns with too much speed. Which kills the exit and then the lap. A few tenths slow here and there really adds up.

I love Tigney's videos. However, I can't match his smoothness. Or any of the other Gold-reaching drivers. And never will.

If I can get into Silver once in a while, I'm happy about that. If I'm within a second of Silver in my first 1/2 hour, I'll spend the time chasing it. I don't want to devote the amount of time needed to get proficient enough to be in Silver every week. Especially if it's a car/track combo I don't care for.
Pick a spot where you'll be braking too early for a corner and focus on it every time. Brake too early over and over focusing on the line through the corner and not where you're brake point is. Brake too early until you feel silly about it... until it's annoying... then once you've got a comfortable line through the corner (and you're no longer thinking about the brakes) THEN focus on the braking point... brake a little later, and a little later, a little later until your speed equals what the corner allows.

This goes for everyone with issues hitting their marks. Just brake earlier... thats it. Brake so early you feel bad about it... brake so early that your corner entry is messed up... brake so early that you don't even feel like you're driving fast anymore... THEN once your sufficiently annoyed with slowing down too much and you know where that point is, start moving the goal post incrementally until you start flowing through corners at a good pace.

When you slow down and work your way up to speed, you may find that laps that feel "slow" end up being a very fast pace. When you're busy trying to "feel fast" and you're blowing braking points over and over there is no where to go from there except frustration.

This goes for you as well Chris30... SLOW DOWN! It may seem counterintuitive, but when you're consistently missing apexes and braking points this is the only answer. There is no reason to continue running hundreds of laps if you're not going to learn, adapt, change things up and re-set the way you approach your driving.

Good luck out there!

I had to admit that you're better " dancer " than me , you have the move inside you.....
View attachment 1328882

Although some times , i have better style.....
View attachment 1328883
I swear, this German lady is not as flexible as an oriental dancer... but with some time and patience, she become almost pleasant to manipulate...

I knew you are old but didn't know you already have to wear nappies... Glad you're brave enough to talk about this easily in public!

Mount Panorama GT3 Record, real world, interesting to see the lines he is taking.

In car

Replay

It's interesting to see that they keep on the throttle a tiny bit whilst also braking to keep the car stabilised on the uphill corners. I was doing that in the Deep Forest TT with the Mustang.

Also Real life doesn't seem as 'realistic' as GT7 😂 how the heck can they use such a small amount of braking power downhill into Forrest's Elbow 😯

Screenshot_20240217_173321_com.android.chrome.jpg

Also seems to be more on throttle than on the brakes down The Esses

Again improve !!!!🥵🥵🥵 this circuit is driving me crazy !!!! At 2'02'050 with optimal time at 2'01'904
View attachment 1328913
Keep at it! That lap will come. Until I did it, I never thought I would end up with a low 2:01 time.
Also Real life doesn't seem as 'realistic' as GT7 😂 how the heck can they use such a small amount of braking power downhill into Forrest's Elbow
Did you notice that car also has DRS. For the corners DRS was off so more downforce, on the straights DRS was on.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am sitting Mount Panorama out - This time.
I am biting big chunks out of Dragons! Slowly getting used to the track, the car and this....

It all arrived on Thursday last. I am very very pleased!!

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

View attachment 1328914
That's a nice set of equipment you got there, where did you buy it? I need something like that in the future when I get older and more familiar with the wheel. That must have cost over $500.

Hi,

@ Chris30...

It's an Up-Shift R-Pro rig. £299:00 (UK) Free delivery to UK mainland. It is bomb proof! Beautifully made. Perfectly cut. Easy to assemble (2 hours). The wheel base and pedals went on in a blink. I am delighted and I have no affiliation with Upshift! :)

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

What I get from Tigney’s braking points it what to look for on each track. I then adjust accordingly. I’m in my mid 50s and I don’t have the reactions of a cat. It takes time for signals to reach from my brain to my feet! lol. So it Tidgney says brake at the end of the building, I’ll start braking before that point. In replay though I’m braking at that point. It just took some milliseconds for my thoughts to register at the pedal.

The guides are useful but they’re only a guide. It’s up to us to make it our own.

Last edited:
Bravo mon ami 👏👏👏 I'm always impressed by your capability to improve your scores again and again no matter the circuit, the car, the BoP!!
Hats off!
Yep, he's on a roll!! DTG is a fun track, I did finish the whole CE there with all gold medals. So, I know what to do there. Well I better get busy, time is flying by.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in the live 12 Hours of Bathurst, here you go:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am begrudgingly back at MP early.

But signs are good in the Meta Genesis. Not surprisingly, a lot of red laps on this 15 lap stint. Optimals are easily Gold.

18db88af5cc99-screenshotUrl.jpg

Lap 15 I was on track for about a 2:01.5xx but messed up the last turn by dipping a tire into the grass on exit. Oh well.

Comparing the Genesis to the F1 GTR, the stability under breaking is immense. The F1 GTR has a slightly better top speed and seems to handle The Cutting and Forest's Elbow better than the Genesis. But the F1 GTR is harder to control from Quarry through The Dipper. It's easy to see why the Genesis is the meta.

Back