Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 33,178 comments
Chipping away (while on a roll)...

TT-Bathurst-almost3.jpg

Phone ringing before The Chase is bad for laptime, chipped something but it could be more...

I see you're a controller user aswell. Did you try TCS 1 with countersteer on weak, abs on weak and no other assist? It made me shave off an entire second while i was struggling for Gold. And Tidgney had some great pointers for gearing in his video aswell
Yes my friend, I'm a "Controller"-Automatic" player :)

On this TT and exactly like you, I play with TC1 and countersteer on weak only and this is the setting I'm the most comfortable/fast with.

I've watched @Tidgney 's video guide, mostly for the "hairpin", the place where I'm still losing too much time. I still haven't found the most efficient way to get through this turn while having the best speed as possible at the exit to attack the long straight.
But I will!

Last edited:

On this TT and exactly like you, I play with TC1 and countersteer on weak only and this is the setting I'm the most comfortable/fast with.

I've watched @Tidgney 's videy guide, mostly for the "hairpin", the place where I'm still losing too much time. I still haven't found the most efficient way to get through this place while having as much speed as possible at the exit to attack the long straight.
But I will!

I found that braking just before the "100" sign on the left for the hairpin, in a straight line, then letting go off the gas while you enter the hairpin, then get your car straight as fast as possible and hit the throttle. That way you easily shave off ~300ms

I've watched @Tidgney 's videy guide, mostly for the "hairpin", the place where I'm still losing too much time. I still haven't found the most efficient way to get through this place while having as much speed as possible at the exit to attack the long straight.
But I will!
Well you've proven that it is possible to improve times greatly. Tidgney should get paid for what he does, he could even be a driving instructor. I just need to take more time and utilize what he says about MP and DTG. I've got to try to get silver in both TT's if I can. The breaking meters and the corner indicator are great tools for improving driving skills.

Last edited:
I found that braking just before the "100" sign on the left for the hairpin, in a straight line, then letting go off the gas while you enter the hairpin, then get your car straight as fast as possible and hit the throttle. That way you easily shave off ~300ms
Yeah thanks a lot, that sounds to be the perfect way here!!
I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Thank you! Although your ghost is a bit too fast for me, I did learn a few things in the 2nd sector and the final chicane. Hopefully I can get into the 51s.....after I'm done with crashing and getting used to the new way 🤪
If you need a slower ghost, feel free to ask 'cause I'm still in silver :sly:

Glad to help!

Went back to Bathurst to get my dang gold back! Finally figuring this track out, it didn't even feel like a great lap but good enough.
I could probably get near a 2:00.7xx or so now if I put some more time into it. Only one fastest sector on my fastest lap. 🤷‍♂️
Flat screen and 300mm WRC Wheel on GT DD Pro. I'm not so sure PSVR2 is better here for me but it usually is for most tracks.
Not having delta time here is no bueno.

In vid: Bumper cam live gameplay w/ ghost and HUD with magnified delta time (for phone users).
Then cockpit replay w/ HUD, then TV replay w/ HUD. Then wheel settings in game, and then wheel setting on the wheel menu.

This was probably the hardest challenge I've had in GT7 but I haven't done all the new license tests and haven't done all of the
circuit experiences yet, and haven't done most of these online TTs. I thought I knew this track, but I didn't really, but beginning to now though!

Mt Panorama TT Gold final table.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20240218031346.jpg

GT7 Reclaimed GOLD Mount Panorama time trial Genesis X w moon background -2mb.jpg

Good times!

Went online this morning and did the weekly challenges to warm up (and get the 6-star car ticket).

Then headed out to Dragon Trail for the TT after sticking a livery on the Merc (downloaded from the showcase and edited a little bit as didn't have time to slap a homemade one on).

I had watched @Tidgney guide earlier in the week to get an idea.

First session was 3 laps long and straight into bronze with a lot of sliding.

Second session I threw on Tidney's ghost and did 4 laps but just couldn't scrape gold, was still 1 second off, so I exited to check the replay.

Third session I put Tidney's guide on and went corner by corner on video and in game on the first lap to see where the improvements needed to be and try to mirror it, pausing after each corner.

After the second lap I was in gold but kept going as wasn't safe enough, on the 8th lap I broke my gold time again so I called it a day as it's now safe (I think). Think I may use this technique next time as worked well.

So this is how the day went...

18dbd07a09a83-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317889005480_1708273003927.jpg
18dbd07b15d29-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317893999703_1708273023436.jpg
18dbd07c0f260-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317897491205_1708273037075.jpg
18dbd07cea918-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317899397759_1708273044522.jpg
18dbd07df0b27-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317903978223_1708273062414.jpg
18dbd07ecca17-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317905740296_1708273069298.jpg
18dbd07f9d79-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317907703507_1708273076966.jpg
18dbd08085615-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317910400026_1708273087500.jpg
18dbd08177563-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_437317914725127_1708273104395.jpg

And the lap vids, shared with tags #gtp #gold #pcourty if anyone wants a slower ghost.

Bumper Cam

Follow Cam

Cinematic Cam

Okay, that's a BIG chip...
TT-Bathurst-almost4.jpg

and reaching ball-size I never expected.

TT-Bathurst-almost4-lapchart.jpg

Should you ask me two days ago what would I do when getting such result - I'd leave in a heartbeat, never looking back.
But now, when I'm getting the hang of it, I might come back and try for something more.
It's sadistic kind of pleasure, but fun nevertheless...

@Gogga I guess I didn't save the one where I had a couple huge tail out, full corner drifts, but here is my fast lap and my best run through the chicane. I think you'll be impressed. 🤯

🔥Buttery smooth! Perfect through that chicane. If I'm brave enough to push it a little, I always end up in a barrel roll like your 2nd clip 🙈
Threw away plenty decent laps because of that.

Great lap time. I knew you would be in the 52s in no time.

I have some free time now finally. Best part of any day is getting to lap in GT.
I'm coming to catch you 🤣

Day 2 with the Genesis at MP.

Safe Gold has been achieved. I started watching the WR replays again and watched the lap guide by @Tidgney. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

Unlike others, I'm not going to pursue any more time here. I spent too long driving the F1 GTR only to have that time knocked out of the Gold range. Perhaps if I had started with the Genesis from the beginning, I'd have a better time. But today was the first day with an optimal lap under 2:01.

18dbd85201d29-screenshotUrl.jpg
18dbd852ff415-screenshotUrl.jpg

Besides, the new TT looks like too much fun with all the barrel rolls!

star fox GIF

🔥Buttery smooth! Perfect through that chicane. If I'm brave enough to push it a little, I always end up in a barrel roll like your 2nd clip 🙈
Threw away plenty decent laps because of that.

Great lap time. I knew you would be in the 52s in no time.

I have some free time now finally. Best part of any day is getting to lap in GT.
I'm coming to catch you 🤣
18dbd73cdb799-screenshotUrl.jpg

Come at me bro. 🍻🍻🤯🤯💥💥

Hey folks - busy last ten days (road trip, new department at work) has meant that I haven’t run at all recently. I did manage 20 mins or so when Bathurst event first came out but otherwise hadn’t even turned the PlayStation since then. Decided to rectify that this morning with a long stint.

Net result - I suck at Mount Panarama 😂! After well over 200 miles in a few different cars, I managed to squeak into gold in the Porsche before knocking another tenth and a half off that in the Supra. Loved the McLaren but I found it a nightmare to get through The Dipper, and I couldn’t get on with the Genesis although it’s obviously quick.

Not sure whether I’ll have any more time on this, and may skip the Merc event completely (depending on what comes out this week) - :cheers:
1708283851969.jpeg

Last edited:
That's me for today. Set this time very early on in my stint and can't do any better for now.

@330_D 🤣 no chance mate.. you are on roll on this one. My aim is to get into the 52s. I'd be happy with a 1:52.999

View attachment 1329298
I thought that not long ago. It's so fun to just flog around that invalid laps seem to make me faster. I practice off my normal line and different techniques a little more than I would normally just because I love this combo so much. I usually restart if I invalidate or lose a bunch of time from a mistake but I don't do that as much here. It seems to make me better. I'm gonna keep after it and see how deep I can go. I believe there is still more time for me here. Maybe.

I've watched @Tidgney 's video guide, mostly for the "hairpin", the place where I'm still losing too much time. I still haven't found the most efficient way to get through this turn while having the best speed as possible at the exit to attack the long straight.
But I will!
One of the best things for the hairpin if your struggling is rather than drop to 2nd stay in 3rd gear, its slower but far, far safer

I thought that not long ago. It's so fun to just flog around that invalid laps seem to make me faster. I practice off my normal line and different techniques a little more than I would normally just because I love this combo so much. I usually restart if I invalidate or lose a bunch of time from a mistake but I don't do that as much here. It seems to make me better. I'm gonna keep after it and see how deep I can go. I believe there is still more time for me here. Maybe.
Maybe I should stop resetting each time and just drive. My main problem is the chicane. When you invalidate your lap here, the consecutive lap is also invalidated... so for me it's reset after reset.

Last night I said you would be in the 52s shortly. Tonight I'm saying you going to be in the 51s shortly!
Rooting for you

Maybe I should stop resetting each time and just drive. My main problem is the chicane. When you invalidate your lap here, the consecutive lap is also invalidated... so for me it's reset after reset.

Last night I said you would be in the 52s shortly. Tonight I'm saying you going to be in the 51s shortly!
Rooting for you
Definitely better not to reset on this one imo. I feel like I learn something new with every lap, lowering those optimals breeds confidence.

Rooting for you
As you well know, the tighter you get to the max the harder it is to get more. I def had a couple laps where I was up and just slightly missed an apex or a hair over a kerb I shouldn't have. Every bit of that makes a huge difference. This car loves to roll and I'm always trying to push it mid corner when that's not always the fastest. That chicane. 4th gear in settles the car way more. Brake a little earlier and stay in 4th and just roll through feathering the throttle and brakes until it settles enough to slow for the next corner. I've done that one in both 2nd and third and I think second is faster with a quick upshift right before turn in for the second part but I've done it quick in third as well. Play with it. 4th in for me is way faster though.

Back