Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,514 comments
2:14:8XX - Gold territory but I want to try and get into the 13s to guarantee the Gold - must confess, however, that I'm not sure where to find the extra 8 tenths from as the 2:14:8XX felt fast... I think Turn 1 and Turn 8(?) - the one exiting the tunnel before the longest straight are probably hurting me.

Civic has nearly 700miles on it, so I've given it a good go...

Yesterday I did just 2 runs and got gold on my 2nd lap when it was 2:15.xxx (I think it still is!?).
By far the easiest time trial to get gold, and for people to be close with each other, because the car is so slow.

A sub 2:15 time likely guarantees gold on this one. The top 1 is definitely going to be hard pressed to get anywhere near 2:10. In fact, I can hardly believe there are freaks who can do low 2:11s with this car/track combo.

I did about 150kms today (most of them just retrying the first few corners) and my best time is a 2:13.155. So with more practice, a mid-tier 2:12 should be possible for me.
As usual, I have to go down an extra gear on the tighter corners in comparison to the wheel users because of the rotation... Where the top times do the tight corners on 3rd gear, I do on 2nd, and where they do with 4th, I have to go down to 3rd to have the same rotation even at the same speeds. This of course compromises the exits...
I don't remember GT Sport having such a gap between controller/wheel users. Different(better) physics might be the reason I guess.

20220723_223117.jpg

Last edited:
As usual, I have to go down an extra gear on the tighter corners in comparison to the wheel users because of the rotation... Where the top times do the tight corners on 3rd gear, I do on 2nd, and where they do with 4th, I have to go down to 3rd to have the same rotation even at the same speeds. This of course compromises the exits...
I don't remember GT Sport having such a gap between controller/wheel users. Different(better) physics might be the reason I guess.
Really? I did my lap on controller - didn't feel like this was the case at all. I don't think I touched 2nd anywhere, it was costing me far too much time to do the extra shifts.

Really? I did my lap on controller - didn't feel like this was the case at all. I don't think I touched 2nd anywhere, it was costing me far too much time to do the extra shifts.

I was mainly comparing it to the top times, the guys with low 2:11s. BTW you use DS4 or DualSense?

I will try tomorrow with more time to get to the 2:12s using higher gears, just have to start turning earlier. 2:12s is definitely possible, in fact, you proved it, but getting to the 2:11s seems almost impossible, at least for me.

EDIT: Just saw your video, yeah, you turn a lot earlier than the guys on the top, in particular in the 1st tunel, in the 2nd tunnel before the long straight and also on left hander after the long straight.

The reason why staying in gear makes you faster is because this is a manual gearbox, so yeah, you lose a few tenths over changing gears on all those corners, and it also helps the car turn on exits while going full throttle as the car has traction on the front wheels in a higher gear, and given this is a FF car, turning while reving on high RPMs is really not a good idea. With this knowledge in mind I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT: How was your Fuji TT with the SF19?

Last edited:
I was mainly comparing it to the top times, the guys with low 2:11s. BTW you use DS4 or DualSense?

I will try tomorrow with more time to get to the 2:12s using higher gears, just have to start turning earlier. 2:12s is definitely possible, in fact, you proved it, but getting to the 2:11s seems almost impossible, at least for me.

EDIT: Just saw your video, yeah, you turn a lot earlier than the guys on the top, in particular in the 1st tunel, in the 2nd tunnel before the long straight and also on left hander after the long straight.

The reason why staying in gear makes you faster is because this is a manual gearbox, so yeah, you lose a few tenths over changing gears on all those corners, and it also helps the car turn on exits while going full throttle as the car has traction on the front wheels in a higher gear, and given this is a FF car, turning while reving on high RPMs is really not a good idea. With this knowledge in mind I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT: How was your Fuji TT with the SF19?
Dualsense, so certainly a small advantage there over the dualshock.

Fuji time trial was nothing impressive, but it's not a car or track I'm particularly confident with so it was one of those gold and forget laps, I think it was a 21.0 on the cusp of gold lol.

Road car races have nested really well with me in GT7 though, so I enjoyed this one popping up. The physics changes in general I found made the game a lot easier for me, I went from a low B driver in GTS to an A+ driver in 7 - but I can tell I lose precision when driving cars above Gr.2 (maybe a controller issue, maybe a skill issue).

Dualsense, so certainly a small advantage there over the dualshock.

Fuji time trial was nothing impressive, but it's not a car or track I'm particularly confident with so it was one of those gold and forget laps, I think it was a 21.0 on the cusp of gold lol.

Road car races have nested really well with me in GT7 though, so I enjoyed this one popping up. The physics changes in general I found made the game a lot easier for me, I went from a low B driver in GTS to an A+ driver in 7 - but I can tell I lose precision when driving cars above Gr.2 (maybe a controller issue, maybe a skill issue).
I guess car preference (as well as track obviously) does matter between players.

On the contrary, I get a lot more confident and precise when using cars from Gr.2 or above. I was like top 50 in the Le Mans time trial, and if the meta were LMP1 cars instead of the Gr.C cars, I probably would've gotten even higher thanks to the higher downforce and thus, confidence I would have in the car.

I also prefer the physics change, GT Sport was way too forgiving where you could just full throttle out of almost any corner and the car wouldn't oversteer. But it feels like the gap did get higher between wheel and controller.

Thought I would give it a quick shot before watching the World Series - to my surprise I got a 2:14.9 in less than an hour, which is currently good enough for gold. The lap is rather messy, so shouldn't be too hard to improve if needed.

That TT is massively more accessible than the previous 2 - the car being much slower top guys don't just fly away at each corner.
Highly recommend anyone willing to put a bit of effort into TT to give it a shot, that's a fairly quick 1 or 2M credit this time.
And it is pretty fun, I normally don't use road car with very soft suspension so felt a bit different.

A WORLD of difference staying in 3rd and 4th gear for most of the corners. You just have to slide a bit on entry but after that the car is really stable compared to lower gears in high rpms.
Improved by half a second compared to yesterday and there's at least another 2 tenths to gain if not more, I had a lap where I was improving 0.264 seconds but I clipped the wall on the S section of the final sector.

Still 10 days to go, I'll try to improve further next weekend. For now, it's a respectable top 200 time of 2:12.641

20220724_200558.jpg

WARNING!!!

Don't go into any other race before you do the time trial. There's a bug. I did the time trial, then did Race A. My Race A qualifying time remained as "my current best" and new time trial times did not update my actual current best time. And, no, unfortunately, your race A qualifying time from race A is not used as your current best ;)...at least not that I have seen so far.
This just happened to me

You don't even need to enter a Race in Sport Mode... I missed the entry deadline by a second so ended up retrying (and improving) my TT effort whilst I waited for the next race.

Lo and behold, I take a huge chunk out of my time and put myself back into Gold territory aaaand it's not recorded it.

Saved the replay just in case I need a case for my defence come prize giving time. 🤪

Hoping a 2.13.7 is fast enough to keep gold, don't like this combo much. Although now that I actually watched the replay of the top times I realize I'm in the wrong gear in 80% of the corners... so if I'm forced to improve there is time on track available, just rather drive something else. lol.

TBH, all three TT combos to date (since rewards introduced) have not been to my taste so I do the minimum to get gold... this latest combo is my least favorite. I'm anxious for one that clicks for me like Group 4 at Nord did in Daily C to the point where I want to invest time to climb up the leaderboard a bit.

Hoping a 2.13.7 is fast enough to keep gold
Without a glitch of some sort no one will be able to improve by more than 1s now, so you're most likely safe.

I'm anxious for one that clicks for me like Group 4 at Nord
I like that track quite a bit, but using it for this TT would be be a real nightmare for most people :crazy:
The Nord Circuit Experience on the M6, that everyone is saying is super hard, currently have the gold time at around 4% of the best time I think... Making that 3%, and having only 2 weeks on such a long track - would be really difficult indeed.

KCR
I like that track quite a bit, but using it for this TT would be be a real nightmare for most people :crazy:
The Nord Circuit Experience on the M6, that everyone is saying is super hard, currently have the gold time at around 4% of the best time I think... Making that 3%, and having only 2 weeks on such a long track - would be really difficult indeed.
Yah, you are right 3% for Nord would be a tough margin. For Daily Race C fastest current quali time is 6:56.339. The gold 3% cutoff would be 7:08.829. I'd be well within 3% with my 7:03.893 (I put in a good amount of time), but no reason they couldn't adjust the % cutoff for certain combo.

The Nord is so long for a TT though can be very frustrating to bin a gold lap after 6+ minutes of work. Probably best not. haha.

Yah, you are right 3% for Nord would be a tough margin. For Daily Race C fastest current quali time is 6:56.339. The gold 3% cutoff would be 7:08.829. I'd be well within 3% with my 7:03.893 (I put in a good amount of time), but no reason they couldn't adjust the % cutoff for certain combo.

The Nord is so long for a TT though can be very frustrating to bin a gold lap after 6+ minutes of work. Probably best not. haha.
If anything my friend, the % won't matter with the tracks... The car selection actually has more of an impact on this than anything.
The previous two races with the Escudo and Super Formulas, two very fast and difficult cars to control, made it really hard for lots of players to get gold, but now with a much slow car, people are easily getting gold, like, really easily.

Just hope that you don't get something like Gr.1 or even faster cars (Red Bull X2014, SF19 or worse of all, the Tomahawk X) on the Nurburgring as a time trial. That would clearly amper a lot of people to get the gold. But then again, it's part of the game, gold has to be achieved with practice and dedication.
The Prizes for a Nurburgring TT however should clearly be way over 2 million for Gold. More like 5 million given the effort you have to put to do an entire lap in it.

Last edited:
Just managed to do 1.3s improvement and now my lap is 2:15.493!
It was lap where I had gold pace, but screwed some of it on last three corners.
Now I have taste for gold, will I make it, who knows...
Pirata is improving too and now is gold in 2:14 territory.

Spent around 15 minutes with it, got a mid/high 2:13. Key is to focus on corner exit in a high gear I think.

Also penalties are ridiculous again, they in the worst case destroy three laps basically. They invalidate the current one, slow you down in the next one and because the penalty zone is on the main straight they also slow you down for the lap after because you're starting it a lot slower :banghead:

Last edited:
Spent around 15 minutes with it, got a low 2:13. Key is to focus on corner exit in a high gear I think.

Also penalties are ridiculous again, they in the worst case destroy three laps basically. They invalidate the current one, slow you down in the next one and because the penalty zone is on the main straight they also slow you down for the lap after because you're starting it a lot slower :banghead:
Penalties aren't so bad on this instead of wasting laps just stop turn around after the penalty line and go back to the last chicane that's what I've been doing

Back