Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 27,974 comments
It's been a couple days since I've been in here. Last weekend I was out of town, then when I got back home I somehow pulled a muscle from the R side of my neck down between my shoulder blades (splenius colli maybe?) that made it damn near impossible to move my head... so no GT7 for me for a few days.

Yesterday I felt good enough to get back in with only one thing in mind, the bronze drift challenge that @PCourty @Gorefast @Gogga @MUC76 were talking about. All I have to say is, thanks for making me into a psychopath. I didn't even attempt the Lemans TT because I was so crazy about this challenge! Everyone else has probably moved on from this one already...

I spent more time doing this than any other thing I've done in GT7 by a long shot. Several hours yesterday, and another two this morning... hundreds of attempts, sweating, cussing, leaving my muscles sore and me dissatisfied. License S-10 and early physics Nurburgring CE have nothing on this! Don't get me wrong, it was still a worthwhile time, but it pushed me to my limits several times where I just had to stop for a bit and leave it be. I didn't do anything but this in GT7 over the last two days.

Trying to drift a car with SM tires, no e-brake, and no clutch is maddening. The line between grip and slip is razor thin, and sudden snaps that chuck the car off track happen ALL THE TIME. The amount of laps I threw away on one missed entry are probably in the hundreds! If you miss one braking point, one misstep on the brake, one poorly timed flick, too slow/fast and the tires grip up... the lap is done. Hundreds of great laps were chucked because of one little misstep. If you get out of rhythm, slow down a little, or anything else happens the run is ruined. Cue LOTS of restarts and LOTS of cussing!

The technique I used to get the car to behave the way I wanted worked, but was super hard to keep on top of. It involved a Scandinavian flick, but required a stab of the brake when turning out, and another when turning in. It goes: turn out *stab brake, lift, turn in *stab brake, then ALL the throttle until angle is achieved and balance it with steering on the way out. It was the only way I found to get the front tires to bite while also upsetting the chassis enough to force rotation. Doing this on every entry takes a lot concentration over a lap.

In the end I threw away tens if not hundreds of laps that were complete and under the bronze time, but just weren't good enough. I wasn't going to settle for runs with a bunch of ugly mistakes in them... that said, my lap here still isn't perfect by a long shot, but I'm happy enough with it to finally post it up.

This vid has the lap and a reply with telemetry so you guys can see what's going on with my feet and the wheel. I have another lap saved which is almost as good, but this one eeked it out as my favorite.

It will be strange to go back to playing "normal" GT7 now... haha. I've still got some time to gain here with the AMG, and a gold to get at SpA, though I'm thinking that all this foolish drifting has probably sharpened up my car control skills a LOT!

P-courty... I'll be sending you the bill for my therapy visit after this one!

Beautiful 👏

You really showed some dedication to this one! Congrats!!

It most definitely does sharpen your car control skills.

Nice, I'm hoping to get a sub 2'20.500 at least, I'm sure my rank is way at the bottom now, I was at #132 the first hour the TT took place. Idk what placement I'm at now. I'm gonna go eat some pizza to fuel my mind.
I'm also setting high goals for myself (which I mostly don't achieve) but a 7s improvement is a lot. Don't stress yourself with such a big goal.

Take it easy and attack 1s or .5s at a time.

I'm also setting high goals for myself (which I mostly don't achieve) but a 7s improvement is a lot. Don't stress yourself with such a big goal.

Take it easy and attack 1s or .5s at a time.
Depends on how much you tried at first. I tend to do a few laps so when I first tackle a TT, my time is often very far from what I can achieve with some more sessions.

Last TT at Le Mans, there are 11s between my first "best" lap and my final best lap.

Last edited:
Found my 110 000 positions 😄

Spent a little time on this yesterday evening. I feel like 51's are possible. I don't get mad when I lose the back end because it just ends up in a drift session.

1903e56222e30-screenshotUrl.jpg

Got some more time in with GT7 tonight... but no drifting this time (well, not intentionally anyways).

Used this time to take the R8 out to SpA and happily found gold within a few laps. SpA has always been one of my favorites and I know it fairly well, which helps. Found myself at a 1:19.402 after a bit and thought it was just an okay lap, but I'm currently second on my friends board... and that doesn't happen often!

I'm confident that I'll be getting this down soon with some needed cleanup, but I'm pretty happy with that for now, and exited to see what improvements everyone else makes!

20970290144891224.jpg

As always, happy lapping!

Oh my, the R8 is fast! It takes more care than the NSX, but it's got a much higher ceiling (for me anyways).
Nice time mate!

Definitely!, At first I found it a little to wobbely off throttle, but I couldn't get below 18.9 with a fairly good lap with the 911 RSR so I went back out trying to understand the R8, first lap was a 19.0 😂 and after a few laps I did hit a 18.4 and I think I missed some apexes along the way so it definitely has potential!

That sound tho..... oeff.... Love that!

1000021630.jpg

Yesterday I felt good enough to get back in with only one thing in mind, the bronze drift challenge
If @MUC76 didn't mention this then I don't think I would have started doing it 😂

I spent more time doing this than any other thing I've done in GT7 by a long shot.

I didn't do anything but this in GT7 over the last two days.
This now seems to be the way for me too, with leaving LeMans to silver, if I wasn't doing this then I would have gone back to frustratingly try to gold LeMans.

Trying to drift a car with SM tires, no e-brake, and no clutch is maddening. The line between grip and slip is razor thin, and sudden snaps that chuck the car off track happen ALL THE TIME.
This was a lot more challenging than throwing the Nissan around Brands Hatch, not having the handbrake really catches me out mid drift as I still press the button to try to adapt my drift mid corner 🤣

The technique I used to get the car to behave the way I wanted worked, but was super hard to keep on top of. It involved a Scandinavian flick, but required a stab of the brake when turning out, and another when turning in. It goes: turn out *stab brake, lift, turn in *stab brake, then ALL the throttle until angle is achieved and balance it with steering on the way out.
This was my technique in the Nissan but no matter how much I tried this with the Merc I was just ending up with understeer, this may be due to me being on motion sense steering and having no force feedback to realise when the wheels had the correct rotation to start oversteer.

This is absolutely awesome and brilliant to watch from a VR perspective, congratulations, you smashed it.

It will be strange to go back to playing "normal" GT7 now... haha. I've still got some time to gain here with the AMG, and a gold to get at SpA, though I'm thinking that all this foolish drifting has probably sharpened up my car control skills a LOT!
As Pringles would say, "Once you pop, you just can't stop" 🤣

It really does help to get a feel for the car though before going for a gold lap (which took me 31 miles last night).

P-courty... I'll be sending you the bill for my therapy visit after this one!
Can I pay them (you) with beer instead, I hear it's better for therepy.... And lap times 😂

Last edited:
Good morning guys, I see we have a battle going on here, I'm getting my tank, xD. Time for me to get back to work at the Spa, I haven't even started the Barcelona TT yet. I need to tonight.

@P-Courty Pringles and Lay's are my favorite brand of chips, just to let you know, :)

Really enjoying this string of time trials from PD, great to see!
View attachment 1366906
The NSX is a dream to drive on the limit, if you choose to use it make sure to rev it all the way to the limiter for optimum times. Less than a hundredth between myself and the ever speedy @Evilmuffin, I don't see my lead lasting very long haha :cheers:
Nope, he will probably yeeet of half a second on his next efford 😁😂😂,

Great time tho!

Managed to grab another quick session and dropped my lap by another second. Happier with that set of times, starting to get a little consistency back but still a long way to go. Plenty of track left in lots of places. I’m still wicked slow on turn 1, 8 and the final he’ll hole that is the right left onto the straight in particular but getting better.
Setting myself a lofty goal of a 20 which might be a big stretch for a rusty hack who’s been out of the game (literally) for so long, but I’m enjoying the challenge.
I finally also got to do some laps today in the clk lm I bought recently and that thing drives like a dream… slips around Bathurst rather nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
Hey I’ve just noticed that you can load ghosts of others laps. Do you guys use that or do they block your view too much
I use them. Sometimes I start without, especially on a track combo I really enjoy but if I'm just trying to earn some credits with a safe gold I'll go right for the ghost. I am faster chasing than pushing myself. You can change how far in front of you the ghost is to suit your preference as well.

Last edited:
Hey I’ve just noticed that you can load ghosts of others laps. Do you guys use that or do they block your view too much?
It would be interesting to have a poll but I reckon most here use a ghost (at least some of the time). Make it reset it in each sector and it becomes even more useful.

0.3 or 0.4 gap in front I quite like, or 0.0 if you really want to chase milliseconds

Hi folks. A lot of fast times posted for Spa already. I'll have a lot to catch up...In the meantime I've upgraded to psvr2 (I don't know if it's right calling it an upgrade though). Did some laps in Catalunya. Dreams of becoming faster almost immediatley vanished into the distance :D as my best lap was almost .6xx slower from my PB...Yes immersion is great but I've question marks if I miss something important :)...Any guidance, tip, suggestion would be much appreciated. Thx in advance....

Hey I’ve just noticed that you can load ghosts of others laps. Do you guys use that or do they block your view too much?
Sometimes, but depending on the track, on how tall and wide the car is, the color of the ghost car, I often find it blocks too much my view (I use bumper cam so rather low).
When I use a ghost (mainly to learn a track), I set it to reset each sector and with a delta of 0.3s.

New yest today in Spa and and I really liked this session today with the R.S.01 GT3. I was able to improve my time and go under 2'20 with a time of 2'19'995. I feel better with this R.S.01 (than with the Audi or the Honda) which is very stable and fast.
17190663338932488551313305907972.jpg

I don't use them. It is difficult enough for me to try and see and accurately use braking points, turn-in points and apexes without a partly see-through car distracting me, offset or not. I know many here swear by them, but I genuinely cannot get my head around how they are useful when following them. Once you know the lines, you know the lines. But each to their own and it is great that the feature is available for those who find it useful.

The benefit of those ghost files being saved is that you can use them to just watch the replays, giving you a chance to see one of the top driver's inputs. That I do use all the time.

Training session today on Spa with various configurations:

- Licence S-8 test with the CLK-GTR

1719067886029.png

- CE full lap with the 911 RSR (I've also improved 1st and 3rd sectors)

1719067926008.png

Still missing the normal licence final test with the 917 :scared::nervous: 🌧️

- and worth to mention, some little improvments with "Jarvis"

1719068024702.png

I'm still too slow from Rivage T10 to Stavelot T16

1719068210999.png

The training was really helpful but still not efficient yet. I must be more agressive on the braking points (with eyes open on the bollards) to expect a better driver score (+/-10.000) and a different medal (🥇) in 11 days.

ATTACK!!

Latest Posts

Back