Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,900 comments
Epic time mate, congrats on a solid top 100!
Badge incommiiiinngggg 😁
Thank you. It's epic coming from you :cheers:
Never thought I would say this, but this evening I am going to be hunting you down at Big Willow :D

@Chris30

- Its not about the quantity of your laps but rather the quality. Its no use approaching every TT with the same attitude and expecting a different result.

- Yes I use a wheel but one can be fast regardless of input. The likes of @Barareklam @Ed_Night @Dolph Drago @Gomario JSP are enough proof that you can be blistering fast and consistent on a controller.

- Set yourself realistic goals. It will avoid disappointment. Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone has different skills and with practice you hone those skills. What you learn from one time trial carries over to the next and so on. This is the nature of becoming progressively faster.

- Getting gold is nice, but its not the be all and end all.

- I have yet to attempt Fuji. I know high downforce cars are my weakness and I accept that a gold might not be on the cards here for me. It is what it is.

- Just do your best and enjoy your time playing GT. It is a game after all.

@Chris30

- Its not about the quantity of your laps but rather the quality. Its no use approaching every TT with the same attitude and expecting a different result.

- Yes I use a wheel but one can be fast regardless of input. The likes of @Barareklam @Ed_Night @Dolph Drago @Gomario JSP are enough proof that you can be blistering fast and consistent on a controller.

- Set yourself realistic goals. It will avoid disappointment. Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone has different skills and with practice you hone those skills. What you learn from one time trial carries over to the next and so on. This is the nature of becoming progressively faster.

- Getting gold is nice, but its not the be all and end all.

- I have yet to attempt Fuji. I know high downforce cars are my weakness and I accept that a gold might not be on the cards here for me. It is what it is.

- Just do your best and enjoy your time playing GT. It is a game after all.
we told him the same explanations hundreds of times. I don't understand why he is so stubborn about wanting gold. I think for him it's more of a competition than a game. Maybe he wants to prove something to himself. But he is not taking the right path. And he doesn't correct anything. He remains stubborn about having a gold medal. And as you say, it's not an end in itself. But for him yes. As long as he seeks to have gold and not improve in his approach to the TT he will not succeed.
I bought a GT DD Pro and I know I'm better with the DS5. And yet I do not persist on the steering wheel. And like you I'm not as good with cars with a lot of downforce.

My goal for the Fuji time trial is to reach the 1:20s. Yesterday I was at 1:21.032, today I'm at a 1:21.012, but the kicker is that today I have a potential of 1:20.697, yesterday a 1:20.785... I am now in limbo of knowing I have a really good lap on the table, and just having to keep trying until it happens almost by chance and luck rather than any sort of skill.

As long as he seeks to have gold and not improve in his approach to the TT he will not succeed.
Maybe even then he doesn't succeed. I mean, we are not all talented for all things. Driving in general is a complex thing and I firmly believe not everyone should be able to have a licence in real life. Likewise, not all of us can be hairdressers, doctors, pilots, footballers, painters, whatever. I have no talent in playing FIFA, I can do it with some mates while drinking some beer and have some fun, even when I lose I don't care, because we are having a great time, but you won't see me smashing my controller against the wall if I can't complete some online challenge in that game, I just don't care. Maybe the bronze times are your limit in this game, maybe silver, maybe you can chase the WR in each TT you participate, it's just the way it is. Of course, everyone can get better with practice and a correct approach, but everyones ceiling is different. At the end of the day, it's just a game.

Maybe even then he doesn't succeed. I mean, we are not all talented for all things. Driving in general is a complex thing and I firmly believe not everyone should be able to have a licence in real life. Likewise, not all of us can be hairdressers, doctors, pilots, footballers, painters, whatever. I have no talent in playing FIFA, I can do it with some mates while drinking some beer and have some fun, even when I lose I don't care, because we are having a great time, but you won't see me smashing my controller against the wall if I can't complete some online challenge in that game, I just don't care. Maybe the bronze times are your limit in this game, maybe silver, maybe you can chase the WR in each TT you participate, it's just the way it is. Of course, everyone can get better with practice and a correct approach, but everyones ceiling is different. At the end of the day, it's just a game.
Totally agree with you. Maybe for him the bronze and silver times are his limit. But I don't know if he can understand that

Okay Jerome, from now on I will ask you to put annotation to your TT updates whether the time was set on the wheel or ds5.
Because I'm confused and up till now considered your alien tendencies more down to the wheel than the controller.
To answer your question my dear friend : I am more comfortable in normal cars with the DS5, and more comfortable with the steering wheel in cars from the GR.4, GR.3, GR.2 groups. Afterwards it depends on the circuit too. If you want, I have better sensations and controls with the DS5 on some TTs and others not. And conversely I have better sensations and controls with the GT DD Pro on certain TTs. I can't explain it because my best rankings under 1000th (8 in total without counting Willow) are obtained with the DS5, notably my 178th place on the TT79 (Brands Hatch and the Nissan Silvia).
I hope this answers your question

To answer your question my dear friend : I am more comfortable in normal cars with the DS5, and more comfortable with the steering wheel in cars from the GR.4, GR.3, GR.2 groups. Afterwards it depends on the circuit too. If you want, I have better sensations and controls with the DS5 on some TTs and others not. And conversely I have better sensations and controls with the GT DD Pro on certain TTs. I can't explain it because my best rankings under 1000th (8 in total without counting Willow) are obtained with the DS5, notably my 178th place on the TT79 (Brands Hatch and the Nissan Silvia).
I hope this answers your question
Wow. I get what you're saying, but personally I didn't even consider touching the DS5 again since I have owned a wheel. One feels like playing a video game, the other like driving a car. Maybe the fact that I play in VR contributes to this. Sitting in a cockpit while holding a controller in mid-air feels incredibly stupid :D

Last edited:
Wow. I get what you're saying, but personally I didn't even consider touching the DS5 again since I have owned a wheel. One feels like playing a video game, the other like driving a car. Maybe the fact that I play in VR contributes to this. Sitting in a cockpit while holding a controller in mid-air feels incredibly stupid :D
🤣🤣 that's for sure but I don't have a cockpit due to lack of space so sitting haphazardly with a super steering wheel isn't great either !!!! 🤣🤣
So I feel more comfortable with the DS5 even if with the steering wheel as I said above I am more comfortable on certain circuits with certain cars, notably the GR

However, it is nice sometimes to just relax on the couch and lap / do weekly challenges using the Dualsense. I alternate frequently between the two as well.

Gah.... I'm gonna lose my possible bronze badge on @half_sourly leaderboard aren't I.... I MUST improve.... I know I've got 2 tenths in me if I don't mess up for a whole lap! Never been top 1000 before....

190c0e7b4f91-screenshotUrl.jpg

Took a break, came back and.... Boom! Top 1000 hopefully secured? Still some time left but now I think I can relax a bit and not overdrive it (I wholeheartedly recommend that to anyone, teaching people to suck eggs I know) .... If I do finish top 1000 I'll be completely over the moon!!

190c137095f82-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
I had another go on my Abroad account at Willow to see if I could improve as, as of last night, I was still in gold but at a risky +2.96%.

I've been driving in VR recently using a new account but I haven't progressed enough to get into sports and TTs yet so I configured the headset to work with the other accounts as well. To drive the SL in VR is glorious. But, you get no timing information. In one way that is helpful as I can't focus on it and then fluff it up when I am ahead, but it also gives me no perspective on how I am doing... I tried for a bit, and crashed a lot. Crashing in VR is .... entertaining?

IMG_8365.jpeg
IMG_8366.jpeg

After a bit I did give up with the VR as I could not beat my prior best and tried bumper again but I still didn't improve. Now if the aliens will not move the WR today please!

Last edited:
Back