Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,937 comments
To me, the Big Willow event wasn't your normal time trial. One didn't need to possess the necessary skills of our resident GTP Aliens in order to set a fast time. It is evident in this thread. Many of us did extremely well here.

There were minimal gear changes and braking in this lap. You didn't need to hit apexes with precision and get perfect exit speeds. The real aliens can do this consistently week after week, any car, any track.

This TT was merely about car control, balance and weight transfer and what really helped me achieve my time here is my countless hours spent drifting. Shifting the weight and maintaining control of the car was crucial here for a fast lap time.

I am no alien. Very far from it. Just glad I got my badge, been there, done that and now I can go back to collecting my Silver GTP Trophies :cheers:

@tmtk Congrats on your lap time mate!
@MUC76 I thought we agreed on keeping the numbers round. You should have stopped at P500 :D:D

To me, the Big Willow event wasn't your normal time trial. One didn't need to possess the necessary skills of our resident GTP Aliens in order to set a fast time. It is evident in this thread. Many of us did extremely well here.

There were minimal gear changes and braking in this lap. You didn't need to hit apexes with precision and get perfect exit speeds. The real aliens can do this consistently week after week, any car, any track.

This TT was merely about car control, balance and weight transfer and what really helped me achieve my time here is my countless hours spent drifting. Shifting the weight and maintaining control of the car was crucial here for a fast lap time.

I am no alien. Very far from it. Just glad I got my badge, been there, done that and now I can go back to collecting my Silver GTP Trophies :cheers:

@tmtk Congrats on your lap time mate!
@MUC76 I thought we agreed on keeping the numbers round. You should have stopped at P500 :D:D
True this TT was simple but extremely fun because of the way the car could be drifted. I detest the Fuji TT but the new TT of this week will be fun. At least it's a better track than Fuji.

You're right! 🙄
I have forgotten that in the meantime. And I was pretty shocked when I realized it. All I could do then was to hand in a round 450. Not as nice as a 500, but still a compromise 😄

1000014980.jpg

Another 10 laps stint this morning, without improvement

10laps.jpg

Optimal, Medium and best lap are not improved. No sector improved.

After a break, there was still time so I did another stint of 20 laps

laps20.png

A tiny improvement there, 1:34.824 instead od 1:34.860, and I had a -0.2s lap but I dipped the 2 front wheels on the sand on the right of last corner instead of one, that killed what would have been a nice improvement.

And all my best sectors are scattered apart on different laps... too bad. The optimal was much better.

82 laps total.

Anyway, pretty happy for my final result, even if I know I could have done better with more laps. But that TT was also very frustrating and I did not have much time.

resultat.jpg

A gold, and my best ranking ever, so... that's no too bad 😁

Next TT looks nice, much better than the SF one. Too bad it only last a week. I think I will forget the SF at Fuji.

Attachments

• laps10.jpg
    laps10.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OK so first impressions on LFA 10 on Sardegna
1. Brake earlier than you think, Sport tires don't slow down so much
2. Downshift quickly in order to stop car faster, don't do it too fast from 5th to 2nd if car is not pointing dead straight, or you might lose control over the car.
Love at first sight? Not really... Can it develop, yes, there is potential, will I pursue it,... Hmm not sure.. is it easy to get gold? not so easy easy but not so difficult either.
It does last only one week so look at my placement when it's only 6 days left haha
1000025002.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning, I know I said I wasn't going to post here in a couple days but I'm gonna be so tired from my doctor appointment this afternoon that I will not feel like posting tomorrow, so I wanted to ask a few questions about the new TT. Also, I think this will be much more pleasant for me to do. The LFA has a powerful V-10 engine which packs a lot of power, so I'll have to brake earlier than anticipated so I don't go offtrack. I just bought my Lexus LFA, I selected red because that is a fiery color, and red is the winner!

1. What does my ABS and CSA need to be set to?

2. What landmarks can help me figure out my braking and reference points?

3. I normally have my TCS set at 1-2, do you guys use 0?

4. What parts of the track do you think are the hardest, that will give me an idea of what to look out for.

Good morning, I know I said I wasn't going to post here in a couple days but I'm gonna be so tired from my doctor appointment this afternoon that I will not feel like posting tomorrow, so I wanted to ask a few questions about the new TT. Also, I think this will be much more pleasant for me to do. The LFA has a powerful V-10 engine which packs a lot of power, so I'll have to brake earlier than anticipated so I don't go offtrack. I just bought my Lexus LFA, I selected red because that is a fiery color, and red is the winner!

4. What parts of the track do you think are the hardest, that will give me an idea of what to look out for.
Some help and advices here about Sardegna Road track A (if needed): https://gran-turismo.fandom.com/wiki/Sardegna_-_Road_Track_-_A#Layout_&_Sectors

Managed a modest time of 1:49:705 with my initial running. Love the track.

The best thing about this TT is the tire marks that are left intact when going over the gravel or grass. That's a welcome sight if You ask me when it comes to some realism.

1. Went to the bank this morning:

1721295033830.jpeg

I'll still amaze about this incredible 705th ranking. I know I could have a better one but I'm super grateful with it.

2. Went to the car decorator to pick a new livery for my LFA:

1721295102880.jpeg

3. Went to Sardegna for testing the new TT:

1721295154010.jpeg

Not sure to push for hours to enter the yellow zone, here (+1.3 sec, for now).
Not fan of the behaviour of the car (tires, brakes, etc), the LFA sways a lot, you need to anticipate a lot the braking points (150m mark boards for me), the mass transferts, etc.

So, I'll keep singing happily the monotonous song: "I'm not in the Top 100" :guilty: :lol:

Gene Kelly Rain Dance GIF

Last edited:

1. I have weak ABS and off for CSA that's my default, will play around with CSA maybe at lower TC.
2. Distance boards mostly work here
3. Usually 0, but here, 2 for now.
4. It's not particularly hard, but the entire bottom section of the track. If you can nail the line through the corners here, the rest is relatively straightforward

Also MT, it's necessary here I think for a good exit.

Also, don't take notice of the distance markers in the guide posted above. First corner is defo more 150m rather than 100, and the sharp left at turn 9 is more like 170m than 100m because the car is a (fast but) heavy lump of tin. And turn 4 is more like 60/70m not 50.

Your best bet if you need specifics is wait for Tidgney or someone to release a guide but you'll work it out pretty quickly if not!

Last edited:
Glad I was able to gold the Merc/Willow TT. Not my strongest combo, and when the P1 time was the .616 I was hanging onto gold by .007. But, then P1 dipped into the .5s and I begrudgingly had to go back. A few spins, horrid laps, and red laps later I was able to get into the 35.1s. Glad it held!

Onto the next one. LFA at Sardegna... going to be another challenging one IMO. Let's go!

Many thanks for the video!
It's a pleasure to watch. Your skills are outstanding and You seem more or less to have a subscription to the WR (at least when the sniper fails or sleeps through his mission 😉).

But at this point also a big, big thank you to @Metalgear9493 and @jontikis!
You guys shared your replays already during the event. We all know that's not exactly favourable in the fight for the WR.
But watching them is as joyful as useful. You're giving a whole community the chance to benefit from your incredible skills.
I've already learnt a lot from your ghosts currently and in the past. And I'm just one of many. :bowdown::bowdown:
Thank you very much for that!

Many greetings to the group
Martin

Drove 12 laps to familiar myself with the car and track (hardly driven on Sardegna at all)....Then watched Tidgney's lap from the replay. Back to do any other 3 or 4 laps all without chasing ghost.

I kinda want to break my habbit of ghost chasing....I might still do it for ultimate laptime, but I feel like it is hindering my progress. I want to able to find my own reference and lines, as well as free up my vision so I can look further ahead.

Anyways, the result is not bad!

1000074617.jpg

Could you please tell me what gun you took into the bank to get them to hand over that much money to you along with a gold medal 😜
No gun, just a pic of @smoothbore12 coming out of the water ... :lol: #Aphrodite
Well deserved gold, you certainly put the effoet in for it 👍🏻
You're very welcome, it was a fantastic TT and yes, I probably deserve this ranking based on the efforts.
Congrats to your gold too 👏

Back