Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,854 comments
Well I did get online this morning only for 45 mins but gave it a go at Fuji.

Got into silver at 1:22.587 and then was heading for a gold (only just) as I was 0.78x ahead at the second to last turn... then I completely butchered my entrance to it and lost the lap 😅

Knowing I could get gold I carried on and then the PS4 showed a notification of a software update and went offline 😱 why does this happen to me.

Waited for the update and went back on to check my time had saved 🫣 and it did, but seens as I was back online and wasn't looking forward to a 3 hour drive to work I thought why not go again 😂

And beat my previous silver time on the first lap then threw the second lap away completely missing turn 1.

So restart and one last try, smashed my time again but just knew it would take too long to scrape gold again and I needed to get ready for work so left it at that.

At least I posted a safe silver time before it ends, I'm working away tonight so no more time to get that gold unfortunately.

1000010537.jpg
1000010538.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure I can go at least half a second faster, but not sure I get the chance to do it because my brother is visiting with his family. Btw he is driving as I type this, and already managed a 1:51 (among lots of invalidated laps 🤣). Still, not bad considering it's his first time behind the (virtual) wheel. ;) Let's see if he can sneak into silver ...
So yeah, as expected I didn't get to try again, but not because I have to be a good host for my brother, but because he is so hooked on the game he is basically playing non-stop during the time I have avaialble 🤣

I can already picture him buying a PS5 first thing after he returns home :)

So if you see a time posted by "me" for the (hopefully) awesome new Eiger Nordwand TT first thing in the morning tomorrow, don't be fooled ;)

Finally entered Fuji, even though I dread going back there, regardless of car.

However, fortunately, unlike the last time we were here with the Super Formula, it was much easier to achieve gold; last time I struggled, but this time I got gold within the first 50 kilometres.

I then pushed a little bit further out of curiosity, and the result was this:

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240724122842.jpg

Curiously, my time last time was a 1:21.148, so I was barely faster. However, the difference here is, I grinded like mad just to get that time, whereas here I got it after just 100 kilometres.

Edit: I also just had a look at the lap, and I had a massive oversteer moment in S3, so that lap could've been a 1:20 without it. 🤣

Last edited:
FINALLY NAILED FUJI

after maybe two hours or more of struggling around, maybe trying different TC and assist settings, MT and AT, I finally got it.

Prev best was a 1.22.176, comfortably silver but wanted to keep my streak going.

This morning I did 4 laps, a sighter at 1.23.4, then a 1.22.4, then a 1.22.0, and finally.....

190e43b7d0e64-screenshotUrl.jpg

Yay! For anyone struggling, I used MT, ASM Off, Abs Weak, CSA - weak (off just doesn't work for me with this car) and TC2 (even 1 was sketchy).

No doubt I could go quicker if I needed to now I've got the hang of 13 and 15 which is where I was losing all the time in the world, but I'm actually sick of this combo now 😂😂

for some reason I thought the patch was dropping last night. Was all jazzed to get up this morning and try out the new physics! lol...well I guess I'll probably end up running some more laps in the awful LFA today and see if I can somehow get the gold.
Nope, you must wait one more night to see the new physics applied (and sadly, new physics are not related to @smoothbore12 's belly) :sly:

Wow...I just do not mesh with this car (the LFA) at all. Just did about 15 laps and not only could I not get within about a second of my PB, but the car continues to feel like a completely foreign object. Everything about it's handling irritates the hell out of me. The corner after the S bend near the end of the lap that all the fast guys seem to glide around in 4th...I either have to slow to a crawl or I just drive into the far wall. Can't for the life of me find a way to stay in fourth and carry speed through there.

Wow...I just do not mesh with this car (the LFA) at all. Just did about 15 laps and not only could I not get within about a second of my PB, but the car continues to feel like a completely foreign object. Everything about it's handling irritates the hell out of me. The corner after the S bend near the end of the lap that all the fast guys seem to glide around in 4th...I either have to slow to a crawl or I just drive into the far wall. Can't for the life of me find a way to stay in fourth and carry speed through there.
Be light on the accelerator until you're just around the corner. Use the accelerator very lightly to balance the car, don't necessarily think about using it for speed until it's physically balanced.

Also you want to be braking as straight as possible before, and off the brakes before you accelerate lightly to go left and then full power when the coast is clear

It's the setup to the corner that can ruin it because it's a big heavy lump of tin, if it's tilting right taking the previous corner too acutely then it won't want to turn left. (I call it the Zoolander corner)

Sorry I'm rubbish at explaining things! And once you get used to it you can be more aggressive but I found doing the above a very useful starting point

Last edited:
Be light on the accelerator until you're just around the corner. Use the accelerator very lightly to balance the car, don't necessarily think about using it for speed until it's physically balanced.

Also you want to be braking as straight as possible before, and off the brakes before you accelerate lightly to go left and then full power when the coast is clear

It's the setup to the corner that can ruin it because it's a big heavy lump of tin, if it's tilting right taking the previous corner too acutely then it won't want to turn left. (I call it the Zoolander corner)

Sorry I'm rubbish at explaining things! And once you get used to it you can be more aggressive but I found doing the above a very useful starting point
No you explain it very well. I've already mostly got that in mind lol...unfortunately I don't seem to be able to make it real. It's definitely all about weight transfer and set up for the corner. Actually that applies to the entire lap ftmp...

Today had my best outing with the Sardegna TT. As if I was mentally fitter or the car became sober, I was able to shave off 6 tenths off my previous best time of yesterday (1:48:083). I was shocked to see I'm as of now just in the Gold category with a time of 1:47:454 which is just a few hundredths inside Gold category. I happily lapped 36 times around this track today with such a feel good factor. Had a lot of invalidated laps but feel invigorated after seeing my Optimum Lap time to go lower to 1:47:122.

20240724_182019.jpg

20240724_181640.jpg

Wow.... You have sooooooommmmme patience!!! Whenever I get a red lap I just restart, genuinely can't be bothered to drive around for a while just to start another new one (unless it's basically the end of the lap anyway). That's insane, but I mean that in a good way!!!

Great work persevering,
Believe it or not, yesterday too I lapped around 40 times around Sardegna but yesterday was hardly finding success. Just managed to shave off a tenth whereas my optimum was half a second quicker which I achieved today.

I never restart because at the end of total laps I get to see a good culmination of the average times of each sector & my average pace. It also depends on the TT. I wouldn't lap so much on Fuji or Barcelona tracks but I remember I did over 400kms in the BMW + Le Mans TT in one sitting which we had last month. That was also a great TT.

I play it by ear wrt finishing invalidated laps. If it's early in a lap I'll often use the red lap as a "freebie" to try different approaches to troubling corners and sections without a worry about ruining a time. That depends on my current frustration level though :lol: Also if I already have a good lap up in the session I'm more likely to keep going because I like having a good time to compare deltas with.

If I go red on the last couple of corners and know it will invalidate the next lap too I'll restart.

Last edited:
I play it by ear wrt finishing invalidated laps. If it's early in a lap I'll often use the red lap as a "freebie" to try different approaches to troubling corners and sections without a worry about ruining a time. That depends on my current frustration level though :lol: Also if I already have a good lap up in the session I'm more likely to keep going because I like have a good time to compare deltas with.

If I go red on the last couple of corners and know it will invalidate the next lap too I'll restart.
I'm the same. I don't find it enjoyable to run two red laps in a row (knowing the second will be red before it even begins) as it's just pointless time...

I play it by ear wrt finishing invalidated laps. If it's early in a lap I'll often use the red lap as a "freebie" to try different approaches to troubling corners and sections without a worry about ruining a time. That depends on my current frustration level though :lol: Also if I already have a good lap up in the session I'm more likely to keep going because I like have a good time to compare deltas with.

Restarting for myself makes sense if I invalidate on a lap that is real long such as Nurburgring, Le Mans etc. as it would be feel frustrating to run so much. Waiting eagerly for 2 new TTs tomorrow.

Restarting for myself makes sense if I invalidate on a lap that is real long such as Nurburgring, Le Mans etc. as it would be feel frustrating to run so much. Waiting eagerly for 2 new TTs tomorrow.
yep agreed on the longer tracks except if the invalidation happens towards the end of the lap (but before the final couple corners) and I have a decent time up to compare with.

A question to the experts & those users who're much better than myself when it comes to setting a competitive time:

Which is the single most hard corner/turn to nail lap after lap?

Edit: I was referring to the Sardegna TT.
I don't remember the last TT that was done here, but for me turn 1 at Autopolis is one of my least favorite corners full stop. It's blind, off camber, very sharp and just generally messes me up more than it should.

Some others: Turn 1 at Brands Hatch, the multi-corner complex at Dragon Trail Gardens, 130R in the Mclaren VGT (!), pretty much all of RBR, corners 3, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 at Fuji (haha), the final corner at Tsukuba... there are a lot of tough corners at a lot of tracks! Not all of them are bad necessarily, but often cause a lot of headaches, especially when competing.

Back