Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,433 comments
Finally Friday, and on Fridays engines power on again

Tsukuba Civic, the revenge should be safe
18fcff0bd7812-screenshotUrl.jpg

This would give me some more time to chase the sub 8.0.0 time at the ring.

Happy week end guys

I have achieved a few stable improvements and I am quite satisfied with the lap and what I learned about the track.
View attachment 1360598
I think I'm pretty much done with this TT. When I look at the replay, there's nothing to be ashamed of. I was too careful at the “small carousel” and lost time there and there was one situation that looked cooler than it was fast.
View attachment 1360599
Looking at the lap times in my friends list, I'd have to reach @Gogga s time to reach gold halfway safely. Since he belongs to my "very fast and very patient friends" that shows me that gold is not in the cards for me this time.
But that (and a look at the global ranking) also shows me that our friends from Japan are not only big fans of Neuschwanstein Castle, but also of the Nordschleife. And I'm very happy about that.

Regards
Martin
You are not very far away from reaching that gold. Keep at it. It's totally possible.

I was at a 7:48.xxx last week. Gold seemed so far away. With some persistence I managed to drop my time. It seems that I might need to put a little more effort in over the weekend as I noticed that P1 has improved and has dropped me into 2.92%

I won't be upset if this is the TT that makes me loose my gold streak as this one is really tough.
Been a long while since I had to really work hard to see that silver change to gold, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Keep at it. It is achievable!

What's the mission ? you already in gold and top 1000, what's your goal ?
39s - gotta set goals :). Who knows, maybe I can even get a PB overall finish :)
... sub 40 I assume 😉
Yes indeed!
Let the car loose and dance with it :D
I love the way this car dances through the corners on the 'Ring. Still learning to loosen it up even more like you guys.

Thanks again for all the great advice and inspiration!

Last edited:
OMG, it's done!

1717196305265.png

I could tell you in detail how it happened, but instead let me just quote @luv2drive who summed up the experience perfectly.
Then finally, the heavens opened! I strung together a great lap. Really nailed the middle section where I had been losing a bunch of time. I got to the final straight and saw that I was 1.8 secs under my best time at the split, so I knew I had the gold locked up, if I just managed to not screw up the final turn sequence after the long straight... which I've managed to obliterate many times before by being too aggressive.

The adrenaline rush at that moment was insane... and I had 45 seconds to run it all through my head and figure out a way to screw up :). But I didn't! I kept my cool, and victory is mine! Wow! I was literally shaking for a few minutes after that lap. The endorphins were off the chart.
It's almost like they installed that long straight just to mess with your head 🤣
Normally it would be bedtime now but I just had to open a beer to celebrate and wait for the adrenaline level to normalise 🍻
Red did better than "Speed Yellow" which was a surprise. To be honest.
I thought we had established by now that orange is the only viable option ;)

1717196924737.png

Have a great weekend everyone!

Last edited:
1st dusk at the Nordschleife (I think it's dusk, the screen seem to face west here...)

Ten laps in (two valid) and solidly into silver
TT-NordschleifePorsche-almost.jpg

As a matter of fact, not that far away from gold - the optimal is 42.4, but optimals are even more elusive in that big of a track, so the Japanese need to calm down and I need to get to work on it.

For the current Civic TT, something about this combo just doesn't hit the spot. Maybe it's the car? The track? or the tires? or all of them? I just can't quite get the car to dance....it is a forever understeer managment.

I don't think it has to do with FWD....The Civic touring car TT (from a few months back) was a lot fun. Yeah it understeers, but it was willing. The Civic in the current TT is like an chubby chihuahua that makes a bunch of noise when you want it to move arround.
Trail Brake deep into the corners. More than you think you need to. Be hard on the brakes.

Not knowing when I will get home from vacation next Wednesday, tonight may have been my last attempt in the Porsche. I picked up a miniscule amount. It should have been several tenths, but every lap I was on a new best I would fly off the track somewhere, most annoyingly when it happened at a corner I've never previously messed up at. While I won't be able to hop on the PS4 while away, I plan to drop into the thread every day with my laptop. Good luck to those continuing to push at the Nurb!
IMG_3200.jpg

Flashed it up today and found the bronze I had didn't last long at all! Kicked out already. After a few false starts in the orange Porsche from the garage, I managed to get it back with an 8:12.437, 9.66%, fingers crossed. I carried on with another lap and by around the 6 minute mark was 1.5 seconds ahead of my ghost - and then I crashed. 😂

It's been quite a while since I really had to fight for gold, and I kind of miss it :D ...
Someones showing off 😝 although I do agree, the ones I seem to struggle with are the rocketships with no brakes (VGTs) oh and that stupid Mclaren at Bathurst also with no brakes 😂
sure it's great to aim for the top 1,000, top 100, beat @P-Courty ;) or whatever other goal I set my mind to
Not sure I'll be chasing seconds at the Nurburgring as it's going to take too much time out of my weekend to keep pushing on such a long track but the spark is back and I'm going to be coming for you at Tsukuba 😉

200.gif

Not sure I'll be chasing seconds at the Nurburgring as it's going to take too much time out of my weekend to keep pushing on such a long track
I can totally relate to that. Part of me was constantly wondering why I would spend my free time on something that frustrated me so much :) If it weren't for the gold streak I would have given up earlier.
but the spark is back and I'm going to be coming for you at Tsukuba 😉
... which feels like vacation coming from the Ring. Did my first short session this morning and broke into the 1:11s. Your move! ;)

1717225898850.png

Also selected a livery in the spirit of today's Champions League final. Go BVB!

1717225910500.png

Last edited:
Morning folks,

Did not realy have the motivation for the Ring this morning so went for the new added races, only didn't do the WTC 800 because I hate Croix 🤣

But because I didn't have focus I switched the Ring for Tsukuba, there are only a few corners and breakingpoints so not much focus needed, if you stuff up you be there 60 seconds later to try again......🤣

I already dropped af few places on the board this morning I noticed, .4xx seems crowded 🤣.... so went for .3xx 🤣

.196 on the OPT tho but didn't realy felt like continuing today so switched off the PS5.

1000020907.jpg

1000020906.jpg

Happy lapping today and have a nice weekend folks !

@crome

Really hoping for my own promotion to Gold today. While I have time for a longer stint today, it's always difficult to tell how long my effectiveness/mental focus will last around a lap so long.

But if I managed 9 seconds from Day 1 to Day 2. Surely Day 2 to 3 will push me past the goal. I'll only have until Tuesday or Wednesday to put in an attempt before my rig is packed up and shipped halfway across the US to my new house.

@crome

Really hoping for my own promotion to Gold today. While I have time for a longer stint today, it's always difficult to tell how long my effectiveness/mental focus will last around a lap so long.

But if I managed 9 seconds from Day 1 to Day 2. Surely Day 2 to 3 will push me past the goal. I'll only have until Tuesday or Wednesday to put in an attempt before my rig is packed up and shipped halfway across the US to my new house.
Stay hydrated, take breaks and enjoy your stints :)

zjn
Hey @half_sourly and all, leveraging the championship that PD is running outside the TTs, what if we run our private (and better) TT championship?

Something like 10 rounds (= 10 TT) with the best 8 results
Score is the % against the overall leaderboard
Weekly score is summed up
The winner is who has the lower score after 10 rounds

This will provide some challenge accross the weeks, but within a finite timeframe

We may also also have classes or promotions/demotions over subsequent championships.

I came out with this idea because of two reasons
1) I didn't like at all what my wife choosed to watch on TV, so I had time to focus on the meaning of life
2) Our GTP leaderboard has short term flavor (the weekyl results) and long term flavor (the "individual best" columns) but lack a bit of mid term flavor

Do you like it?
This is from the results thread. I've designed something that is relatively low maintenance for me and I think does the job. I've used the past 10 TTs to test it and have taken placing in the TT (overall against all participants, not just gtplanet group) because that is the easiest way for me to automate it.

I've then taken the average placing using the best 8 results of the 10 and ranked by that average.

Let me know if this is what you have in mind.

TTC.png

OMG, it's done!

View attachment 1360637
I could tell you in detail how it happened, but instead let me just quote @luv2drive who summed up the experience perfectly.

It's almost like they installed that long straight just to mess with your head 🤣
Normally it would be bedtime now but I just had to open a beer to celebrate and wait for the adrenaline level to normalise 🍻

I thought we had established by now that orange is the only viable option ;)

View attachment 1360641

Have a great weekend everyone!
Well, I'm totally on a different planet, the-next-minute-planed it is called, but I went through the same

Started with my own ghost +2s, reached him by the carousel, had it far away by the mini carousel, spent the whole straight repeating the mantra
Do not screw it now
Body started to trasform in stone, toilet screaming I'm waiting for you, eyes dry has in a Owen at 200 degrees

But I didn't screw, even though I lost half of the advantage

signal-2024-06-01-11-08-14-409.jpg

Cooldown session with couple of duolingo Spanish lessons while heart was coming back to normal

I only did 3 laps at the ring yesterday. Unlike what I've done before (restart after each lap), it was 3 continuous laps with no reset. Man....it was mentally exhausting. The only rest I got was when going up hill and at Dottinger straight.

I didn't set any PB, only managed a 7:39s, a 7:38s then a 7:37s...but I did them back to back without crashing! Still....it was nearly 24 mins worth of all out pace and absolute concentration. By the 4th lap, I couldn't hold it anymore and bin the car in the 1st sector 🤪

I might try that again......

Last edited:
I only did 3 laps at the ring yesterday. Unlike what I've done before (restart after each lap), it was 3 continuous laps with no reset. Man....it was mentally exhausting. The only rest I got was when going up hill and at Dottinger straight.

I didn't set any PB, only managed a 7:39s, a 7:38s then a 7:37s...but I did them back to back without crashing! Still....it was nearly 24 mins worth of all out pace and absolute concentration. By the 4th lap, I couldn't hold it anymore and bin the car in the 1st sector 🤪

I might try that again......
Awesome effort! I love running back to back laps here. I find it much more rewarding than restarts. Record is 7 laps, but at least one was a lax lap to reset the concentration levels.

This is from the results thread. I've designed something that is relatively low maintenance for me and I think does the job. I've used the past 10 TTs to test it and have taken placing in the TT (overall against all participants, not just gtplanet group) because that is the easiest way for me to automate it.

I've then taken the average placing using the best 8 results of the 10 and ranked by that average.

Let me know if this is what you have in mind.

View attachment 1360826
Great stuff, it was something like that yes.
The only difference was the ranking, not coming from the overall but from your gtp tt result table. This should make it less difficult to overtake positions and maybe generate more dogfight between the participants.

But I understand that low management time wins over complexity, since each second you dedicate to this is one second not spent on the wheel.

zjn
The only difference was the ranking, not coming from the overall but from your gtp tt result table. This should make it less difficult to overtake positions and maybe generate more dogfight between the participants.

But I understand that low management time wins over complexity, since each second you dedicate to this is one second not spent on the wheel.
If he uses all the TTs, GTP player data or PSN overall, averages will become very hard to move. I like the idea of using best 8 of last 10. What's the formula look like for picking out the average of the best 8 @half_sourly ? Maybe 12 of last 15? Or use a prime number for the last number of TTs? 13 comes to mind right off. :mischievous:

Last edited:
zjn

Like this?
TTC.png

Back