Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 27,432 comments
Morning Folks, and good morning early @Dan_Tes :lol: :lol:
that's the spirit mate! :D:lol:

Wasn't feeling to well this morning, lack of sleep, lack of concentration and had a bit of problems with the eyes
( diabetic type 2 prob. due to chemo and radiation when i was younger :irked:) so had some blurry vision now and then.... that doesn't help a lot :lol::lol:

Still wanted to chase madman @Ed_Night ....you did even uppen the bar bit i see with a low 2.....:banghead::banghead:
but could not get that miracle lap..

Did made huge progression tho....

1:11.338 to 1:11.335 :lol::lol::lol:

went from 99 to 97 :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Sheesh we are close! You can do this! I am going to get up early (not @Gomario JSP early but still..) and give it another shot tomorrow :D.

@330_D @BWX @PlanetJanet although I'm trying not to use it I'm a big advocate for using CSA (Strong) and this trial is perfect for it IMO. I've got no doubt I'd be faster with it but I'm persevering without, the Dino trial was the last I used it deliberately and I accidentally enabled it in Fuji with the Toyota. It's definitely a tool worth using if the job is right and I highly recommend it if anyone is struggling with the physics here. As @Carlos Fandango says this car needs a gently gently approach, it's like treading on eggshells for the whole lap, Sector 1 especially Hatzenbach is a prime example of that; not only do you have to be gentle but also supremely accurate (and the car doesn't feel accurate, it's all over the place) as riding the wrong curb even just slightly = death.
I also find that on this one from TT the CSA works well and I see that there is a Japanese who did a 7:34.006 with CSA.
Indeed in general we are slower with CSA in GT7 but I think we need to stop feeling guilty if we use it !
Don't forget that during racing we use electronic aids, especially on the Nordschleife!
If ever I'm at the Nordschleife this Friday and Saturday with my GT86 😍 trying to do a Sub 9min 🐌😅

When I see all the guys who drove so many kilometers to get gold on the Nurburgring I want to congratulate you. 👏👏👏👏:bowdown:
I wouldn't have and didn't have time to ride as much as you do.
Well done to you guys for succeeding on such a grueling and difficult circuit 👏👏👏👏 Respect :bowdown::bowdown:

Got my third long session and progress has been made. Managed to get into the 7:45s.

View attachment 1361741

Who knows perhaps I can find another 3.3s?

Nah… who I’m I kidding?
That was my exact thought when I was stuck at 7:47 earlier in this TT. It is all about getting a good momentum going rather than needing to take every corner perfectly so I reckon you will definitely get to Gold.

When most of the time I restart if I have a slow first few sectors, I did continue the lap in some occasions and let myself lose for the rest of the lap since I've got nothing to lose, and two of those laps ended up my best (at the time) which also put me in Gold.

Oh my gaaahhh... just put in over an hour at the Ring and barely improved to a 1:41.86. I just can't string all the good parts together in one lap!

Now I'm tired. Good night!
Mate I think you should be happy and proud of your result, regardless how tired you got, I mean having 1:41.86 on Ring is by far a World Record, and we are not talking shaving of few miliseconds, you beat the record with like 6 minutes, that is great achievement... ah dont tell me it was a typo, a 1 minute should be a bit more minutes, like seven minutes, right ? Or ??

That was my exact thought when I was stuck at 7:47 earlier in this TT. It is all about getting a good momentum going rather than needing to take every corner perfectly so I reckon you will definitely get to Gold.

When most of the time I restart if I have a slow first few sectors, I did continue the lap in some occasions and let myself lose for the rest of the lap since I've got nothing to lose, and two of those laps ended up my best (at the time) which also put me in Gold.
I got to 7:44, came back and couldn't improve anymore. Frustrating, but that's the reality 😢

@330_D I started off on this TT in a similar manner, not with the assists, but struggling to figure out the physics compared to the 'normal' vehicles driven. Particularly if you do a lot of online racing, there is an abundance of Gr4 and Gr3 events that demand a different driving style. For this TT, I found that braking earlier and turning in earlier, and then using the throttle early to drive through the understeer to be the right approach. Watch @Dan_Tes above - his lap is nearly two seconds faster than mine and much less dramatic - it's what my lap looked like in my head before I attempted to implement :lol: If you study his lap (and sector 1 and 2 should show you everything you need), braking and throttle are much more delicate/deliberate, and there are very long periods where neither are being applied. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast or something like that... Don't overdrive the car, and the time will come! :cheers:
The hardest thing for me is to wait to throttle. It's my downfall. I found it last night a little and barely snuck in. I'm a FWD guy. If you look at my top TTs they are all with fwd cars. Throttle mid corner is fast with the front pulling but it doesn't translate to the complete opposite kind of car. Literally. 😂🍻🍻🍻

The hardest thing for me is to wait to throttle. It's my downfall. I found it last night a little and barely snuck in. I'm a FWD guy. If you look at my top TTs they are all with fwd cars. Throttle mid corner is fast with the front pulling but it doesn't translate to the complete opposite kind of car. Literally. 😂🍻🍻🍻
This is exactly my problem too, I always want to get back on the throttle.

I can go sideways with rwd no problem but I can't be fast on track because I throttle too early and end up with a slide instead of speed.

Although my two heighest TT rankings to date around the 500 mark are both slidey rwd cars 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Last edited:
I was trying this morning and before lunch, but can't finish lap at Nord...
I have a good tempo, maybe for low 7:50s, but I always make some mistake or "die" on braking after longest straight.
So 8:03 is still my best and only valid lap.
I'll try more before TT ends, I have that feeling that I can make silver lap, only has to get rid of fear when I'm going good...

The total opposite to me, I simply don't understand how to drive fwd cars and I'm always rubbish in them.

So I did maybe a 100Km at the Ring today, couldn't get within 1 second of my (slow) PB. Tried following an Alien ghost..... the very first sector time for me (best) is about 51 seconds..... the ghost was probably 4 or 5 ahead already. How do they do that??? I've tried braking earlier, braking later, lifting instead of braking (that usually puts me in the hedge!) - the skill you fast guys demonstrate at this track is truly awe inspiring. Well done. :cheers:

So I did maybe a 100Km at the Ring today, couldn't get within 1 second of my (slow) PB. Tried following an Alien ghost..... the very first sector time for me (best) is about 51 seconds..... the ghost was probably 4 or 5 ahead already. How do they do that??? I've tried braking earlier, braking later, lifting instead of braking (that usually puts me in the hedge!) - the skill you fast guys demonstrate at this track is truly awe inspiring. Well done. :cheers:
Try looking for the slowest ghost you can find, and have it resetting to comfortable distance so it's not too distracting. Really helps!

When I saw the Nurb TT, I was intrigued. Then I watched some replays and thought maybe I should sit this one out because it's long and I haven't got the time that it will take to really work on it. But then I started to see a lot comments here from so many folks praising this TT and with most everyone seemingly enjoying it. So I decided to give it a go over the weekend. Tried the arcade time trial with the same car and tires and I was able to set a 7.51.xxx time and thought that I could at least push for a silver here. Jumped into the actually TT, 35 minutes in and 15 to 20 or so restarts later with nothing to show for it besides all my invalided laps, I got confirmation that I was right for not wanting to take part in this TT 😆. It's quite funny how quickly I can go from "I freaking love this track" to "oh 🤬 hell, I'm done this 🤬" 😂😂😂

That being said, respect to a lot of you who managed to put in some seriously fast times. You guys never ceased to amaze me!!

In other news, I did put a 1.12.7xx at the Tsukuba TT which is good enough for gold right now.

My trajectory was very similar: started with a 7.50, dropped that to 7.45 on my second session, and then began seriously troubling that gold time in my third session. If you've got any time before it ends then I reckon you've got this.

@luv2drive, mad respect, it took everything I had to sneak into the 41s. I had faster sectors on other laps but stringing them all together is such a challenge.
Thanks @PlanetJanet!

You're a little late to the party, but that's some major progress fairly quickly. I think I only arrived at the 41s on my 3rd or 4th session. You still have some time to get into the 40s or maybe even lower ... if you're so inclined :)

And you're totally right, it's definitely an issue of stringing all the good sectors together on the same lap!!

When I saw the Nurb TT, I was intrigued. Then I watched some replays and thought maybe I should sit this one out because it's long and I haven't got the time that it will take to really work on it. But then I started to see a lot comments here from so many folks praising this TT and with most everyone seemingly enjoying it. So I decided to give it a go over the weekend. Tried the arcade time trial with the same car and tires and I was able to set a 7.51.xxx time and thought that I could at least push for a silver here. Jumped into the actually TT, 35 minutes in and 15 to 20 or so restarts later with nothing to show for it besides all my invalided laps, I got confirmation that I was right for not wanting to take part in this TT 😆. It's quite funny how quickly I can go from "I freaking love this track" to "oh 🤬 hell, I'm done this 🤬" 😂😂😂

That being said, respect to a lot of you who managed to put in some seriously fast times. You guys never ceased to amaze me!!

In other news, I did put a 1.12.7xx at the Tsukuba TT which is good enough for gold right now.
I find in my own case that my mental state has a huge impact on my driving. If I've had an annoying or stressful day for whatever reason or I'm just not in the right frame of mind, I just don't get very far in the TT. Otoh, sometimes I'm just feeling really relaxed and care-free and I fire the game up and it just feels like magic. That applies to any TT, but the Ring is on another level. I had one session where I was in that good feels zone and that was when I set my PB. I felt like I had complete control and I ran clean lap after clean lap. All the other sessions have been pretty frustrating.

Been there too, at the time where I use to grind manually. Now I don't need credits anymore, so I just enjoy whatever I feel doing in the evening.
Totally! I used to spend a lot of time grinding for credits, and now I have more time to do the TTs which I've been focusing on much more regularly than last year when they were just an afterthought if I had time.

I've really enjoyed discovering this thread!

I find in my own case that my mental state has a huge impact on my driving. If I've had an annoying or stressful day for whatever reason or I'm just not in the right frame of mind, I just don't get very far in the TT. Otoh, sometimes I'm just feeling really relaxed and care-free and I fire the game up and it just feels like magic. That applies to any TT, but the Ring is on another level. I had one session where I was in that good feels zone and that was when I set my PB. I felt like I had complete control and I ran clean lap after clean lap. All the other sessions have been pretty frustrating.
100% that's the case for me too.
I even notice it when let's say in an hour session, sometimes during lapping I'm suddenly thinking of work and get stressed, that immediately reflects on my driving, ( must say I have a lot on my mind nowadays )
But stress free pure focus brings better laps for sure!

Latest Posts

Back