Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 30,688 comments
Bleh.....stupid Fuji. I just absolutely hate the 3rd sector. I'm sure I can get into the 1:20 if I keep grinding it.....but I really question if I have the will to do it.

1000074558.jpg

Bleh.....stupid Fuji. I just absolutely hate the 3rd sector. I'm sure I can get into the 1:20 if I keep grinding it.....but I really question if I have the will to do it.

View attachment 1372625
I hate Sector 3 too, I can't get my lines in the correct rhythm, did you get my PM yet? I'm going to bed. I wonder if I have the willpower and patience to tackle Fuji too. It's a job trying to perfect Sector 2 and 3.

@MattD42 what a superb time you clocked there!! Well done.

Last edited:
Well before I go, I have this video of my best run at Fuji, can you guys take a look and give me some advice, I tried to follow Dan's replay and apply what he did. He is fast though so it's hard to keep up with him. I won't post here a couple of days, so take care and good night. My time was 1'24.370 so I'm not far from silver.

Look at Tidgney's last sector on YouTube. He takes much wider lines for example tackle the last corner more from the left. Don't fear to go wide left. Same goes for the penultimate right hander where the apex is only be seen in the last moment. The first 2/3rds of your lap looks really good!

As per my usual approach to these TT's, I finally got onto the Willow Springs TT last night. I tend to leave it until the expiring TT is done before I start on the "new" one, leaving the actual new one for the week after... Anyway, what a machine! So fun to drive this thing, especially in cockpit mode. I was quite surprised to see the rear view mirror on the dashboard - that's a first for me!

After about a dozen or so laps I'd managed to sneak into gold, just, with a 1:35.30X lap time. There was definitely more in the bag so I'll get back onto it tonight and see if I can extract another tenth or so.

Question: do we think the gold time is likely to move much from its current position? I'm only just into gold so I'm hoping it doesn't move enough to knock me back into silver...

Last edited:

View attachment 1372625

Yes, very annoying third sector indeed, we always refer to it in each timetrial, but with the SF it's REALY annoying :lol: :lol:
it also is a "cramp-up" one on the pad for me, after a few laps the wrist starts to hurt :lol:

Descent time mate, and let's hope for a nice roadcar one where i can focus on for a few days :):)

As per my usual approach to these TT's, I finally got onto the Willow Springs TT last night. I tend to leave it until the expiring TT is done before I start on the "new" one, leaving the actual new one for the week after... Anyway, what a machine! So fun to drive this thing, especially in cockpit mode. I was quite surprised to see the rear view mirror on the dashboard - that's a first for me!

After about a dozen or so laps I'd managed to sneak into gold, just, with a 1:36.30X lap time. There was definitely more in the bag so I'll get back onto it tonight and see if I can extract another tenth or so.

Question: do we think the gold time is likely to move much from its current position? I'm only just into gold so I'm hoping it doesn't move enough to knock me back into silver...
1. congrats for your new gold score, my friend :) I'm sure you'll enter in 35 or even lower.

2. yes, I bet the WR will move before the end (and probably under 32.6xx).

Hola amigos (today, we are all in love with Spain, right?)

Another normal day in the Mojave desert, for me... :ill:

Normal, because still stuck in the 1:34 despite my efforts to escape to the 1:33.
(Not) normal, because and thanks to @330_D I'm starting to be faster on the T2.

1721036890642.png

This what happen when you start your lap in a mood "ok, let's focus on the 2nd sector" and you don't care much about the first one...

Still 2 days to go, not much time to give to GT7, but I'll keep pushing until the last minute to align those damn planets.

1.34.055 Big Willow (tcs1)
I should be very happy for you, but for 0.004 reasons, I'm more... you know... :yuck:
Couldn’t reach this sweet 1.33 club so far optimal says yes but skill says no.
We are on the same boat, my friend: our skills are... limited, apparently :lol:
On the bright side
Bright side? Are you kidding me? This is the Dark Side Of The Friendship...:mischievous:

(Bravo Jason, very well played :) )

can you guys take a look and give me some advice

As most people have said, sector 1 and 2 looks great.

The final corner you seem to turn in too early, you need to get far over to the left to smooth out the corner more.

I also noticed that you have gone back to automatic which keeps dropping you into second gear and giving a fair bit of wheelspin, in that last sector, which is slowing you down.

Hola amigos (today, we are all in love with Spain, right?)
Nope 😭🤣

Normal, because still stuck in the 1:34 despite my efforts to escape to the 1:33.
(Not) normal, because and thanks to @330_D I'm starting to be faster on the T2.

View attachment 1372654

Still 2 days to go, not much time to give to GT7, but I'll keep pushing until the last minute to align those damn planets.
You're nearly there, keep at it.

I realised one mistake which has been slowing me down, and I don't know why I never thought of changing it.... I drop to 3rd gear on turn one and then have to shift up to 4th when on the little straight.

I haven't watched any guides or replays on this one though, just went in following a ghost.

Last edited:
You're nearly there, keep at it.
I'm trying hard since days, and I'm still few tenths or hundredths from the promise land...
I realised one mistake which has been slowing me down, and I don't know why I never thought of changing it.... I drop to 3rd gear on turn one and then have to shift up to 4th when on the little straight.

I haven't watched any guides or replays on this one though, just went in following a ghost.
Thanks mate but I play in AT :) And yes, shifting here makes sense, and I would probably do the same if I was in MT mode.

Another go at BW, with some improvement and an EXTREMELY frustrating lap (plus many normally frustrating laps).

190b78d25e791-screenshotUrl.jpg

l let anyone figure out what lap I am referring to :mad:

Gold is more than at reach, just need a good last turn (while not in a damn red lap invalidated on previous lap...)

No matter how many tenths I've had in reserve from S2, I managed to lose them all in S3, and the only time I've had a very good margin, and did not butchered everything in last turn... was on a red lap from a mistake in last turn of previous lap 😓

Last edited:
Another go at BW, with some improvement and an EXTREMELY frustration lap (plus many normally frustrating laps).

View attachment 1372760

Gold is more than at reach, just need a good last turn (while not in a damn red lap invalidated on previous lap...)

No matter how many tenths I've had in reserve from S2, I managed to lose them all in S3, and the only time I've had a very good margin, and did not butchered everything in last turn... was on a red lap from a mistake in last turn of previous lap 😓
Go my Friend you will grab the yellow one !

Another go at BW, with some improvement and an EXTREMELY frustration lap (plus many normally frustrating laps).

View attachment 1372760

I guess it is lap no. 8. It is a silly penalty system. You will make it tomorrow! 👍

Last night I improved to a 1:33.527, none of the sectors in that lap were the best, putting the best sectors together would put me over a tenth on that time, so it might be worth another shot to get into the Top 100

6CEAF810-7341-49A3-90AC-BB6D00762D43.png

As of yesterday I was 111th on the leaderboard, I don’t know if I’m still on that position

Last edited:
Last friday i have seen Sting in live at Festival des vieilles charues, in brittany, a great moment!

He was born the same year than the mercedes 300sl w194 (almost) and he played in a famous desert movie called Dune. Too many signs for me... so, i have decided to retry the mercedes, and you know what? I'am walking on the moon 🌚...
1000006671.jpg

1000006669.jpg

Last friday i have seen Sting in live at Festival des vieilles charues, in brittany, a great moment!

He was born the same year than the mercedes 300sl w194 (almost) and he played in a famous desert movie called Dune. Too many signs for me... so, i have decided to retry the mercedes, and you know what? I'am walking on the moon 🌚...
View attachment 1372785
View attachment 1372786
La classe !

Well done, that's a fantastic score :)

View attachment 1372785
View attachment 1372786
Not a terrible song to have stuck in my head. Also I'm going to watch the OG and new Dune again because thanks for reminding me.

Killer time!

That Willow TT could be a late scare 😁 I think I've understood how to initiate the slide into the final corner with the controller, so now I can tackle it more naturally and not just turning and praying it'll stick 🤔

@Metalgear9493 You may be capable to nail the lap and steal the win in end 😊 Every micro-sliding is detrimental on my side and the chances of improving again are very slim.

On top of that, I'll have very little time tomorrow to try the lap again and Wednesday will effectively be a goner due to some doctor arrangements. May the best win anyway 😇

Screenshot_20240716-005644.png

Day 1 at the desert
TT-BigWillowMerc-almost.jpg

This lap features:

• bad first turn
  • ok second sector (hard to replicate)
  • so-so last turn (I feel like I failed to nail it even once in 70+ laps)

Normally it should be ok to rest upon, but no, like a half of the leaderboard are inside top 1000 - crazy :crazy:

Oh, and I hate this track.

Anyone else getting the sound glitch in the Willow Springs Time Trial?

If I restart while off track, there's no tyre sounds. Repeatable glitch.
It only happens if you restart while on the gravel.

If you drive on the gravel after the restart, then rejoin, the sounds are back.

PD doesn't care about fixing this, it's actually ticking me off. Same happens at Grand Valley.

Back