Trophies (now with list of supported games)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 708 comments
Last night I started a game of SSHD, and sure enough it required a new update (4.0) and afterwards all the Trophy categories (17) showed up just fine, but....

After I played a new game specifically with the goal of getting a few of the easy *trophies just to see what it's like when you get a trophy, unfortunately for some reason none of them showed up as being won:

• Hero of Lave
    Arcade - Complete planet Lave

• Scenic Route
    Arcade - Complete a planet without using boost

• Extra Ship Optional
    Endless - Survive 7 minutes without dying

• Close Encounters
    Survival - Survive 45 seconds without shooting or using bombs

I also checked the profiles of my friends who play SSHD, and while perhaps none have played SSHD since the update, so far I have not found anyone with a single trophy, which in combination with my own personal experience, leads me to believe that while SSHD may have been updated to support Trophies, perhaps it has not actually been "activated" yet by Sony?

Seeing as the "Trophy Collection" is separate to the game itself, and the data is all stored on Sony's servers, this could explain it, and that even though all the trophies for SSHD appear to be ready to be won... either Sony has not yet activated the service, or there is a long delay (several hours now) before Sony updates what trophies you have earned?

Mind you, I’m not complaining. I'm only sharing my own observations and experiences so far.

Last night I started a game of SSHD, and sure enough it required a new update (4.0) and afterwards all the Trophy categories (17) showed up just fine, but....

After I played a new game specifically with the goal of getting a few of the easy *trophies just to see what it's like when you get a trophy, unfortunately for some reason none of them showed up as being won:

• Hero of Lave
    Arcade - Complete planet Lave

• Scenic Route
    Arcade - Complete a planet without using boost

• Extra Ship Optional
    Endless - Survive 7 minutes without dying

• Close Encounters
    Survival - Survive 45 seconds without shooting or using bombs

I also checked the profiles of my friends who play SSHD, and while perhaps none have played SSHD since the update, so far I have not found anyone with a single trophy, which in combination with my own personal experience, leads me to believe that while SSHD may have been updated to support Trophies, perhaps it has not actually been "activated" yet by Sony?

Seeing as the "Trophy Collection" is separate to the game itself, and the data is all stored on Sony's servers, this could explain it, and that even though all the trophies for SSHD appear to be ready to be won... either Sony has not yet activated the service, or there is a long delay (several hours now) before Sony updates what trophies you have earned?

Mind you, I’m not complaining. I'm only sharing my own observations and experiences so far.

I believe you have to delete the original save then it will allow you to get the trophies, as none of the games are backdate-ble I think its latterly wont allow you to use a game save from previous, even though the achievements are new. But I haven't tried it myself so if this is the case and they give us trophies for Everybody's golf you have some work ahead of you :scared:

I believe you have to delete the original save then it will allow you to get the trophies, as none of the games are backdate-ble I think its latterly wont allow you to use a game save from previous, even though the achievements are new. But I haven't tried it myself so if this is the case and they give us trophies for Everybody's golf you have some work ahead of you :scared:

:eek:

I may just have to blow off those Trophies then... as I am now at over 600 rounds of golf and still have three more characters that have not yet reached maximum loyalty. I can't see doing that all over again... then again, I have restarted GT4 games many times over so who knows. :crazy:

ah OK. I downloaded Paın today. I didnt know that.
I hope you enjoy it.
Feel free to visit the PAIN! thread for news, info, and we will try to help you unlock some stuff.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103765

It may just take a while for things to update. I know Warhawk stats and the PAIN! leaderboards (stored online info) take time to update. Sometimes it is immediate and other times it can be 24 hours.

Also, Scaff, you may want this link to help you out with this thread:
http://www.ps3trophies.org

FWIW I just checked out a friend's SSHD trophy list and all it shows is "3%" without any graphics.

And more news:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/02/uncharted-and-every-game-getting-ps3-trophies/

PSN director of operations, Eric Lampel, has confirmed that Naughty Dog's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune will receive a Trophy update "at some point in the foreseeable future." In fact, Lampel told GameSpy, "Ultimately, we'll have trophies for every game." But ultimately is without a deadline currently, suggesting Trophy patches will be trickling out for the, um, foreseeable future.

Still, we imagine Sony is leaning on certain studios to allocate resources to Trophy building asap. Certainly there's a greater demand for Trophy support in Uncharted than in, let's say, Genji: Days of the Blade. Then again, an actual, historically accurate award for sticking the giant crab's weak point might be reason enough to procure Genji from a dusty bargain bin and suffer through the ill-fated launch title. Massive Damage Trophy? We so want that one.

Correction. It displays percentage complete initially but if you press the x button then it will show all the trophies, both collected and not.

Also, Scaff, you may want this link to help you out with this thread:
http://www.ps3trophies.org

Excellent stuff - its already given a new bit of info....

It seems that we're some way off the Warhawk Trophies. In a recent post over on the Playstation forums, game director Dylan Jobe said that Trophies for the title would be included in their 1.5 patch but we've still not seen the 1.4 version.

Jobe gives a little more information in his post by discussing Warhawk's 56 Trophies which are incoming. They are broke down like this:

* "There are 10 trophies based on the Warhawk's current stats/rank/awards system. Like getting all your Bronze badges, attaining a specific rank, or earning a number of medals.
* There are 34 trophies that are entirely *new* rewards based on Warhawks core game and not based on our current stats, ranks or other awards.
* There are then 4 trophies per booster pack that are, of course, completely new awards.

Developing 56 new trophies was a really fun part of the v1.5 production cycle...but 10 of them are based on stats and awards that you, our community may have already earned -- so that's why we made sure that those 10 trophies based on our core stats system would be paid out retroactively."

So there, you have it... Some of the Trophies are retroactive like Burnout Paradise which was confirmed yesterday, but remember, there is another patch due before the Trophy patch so we've got to wait to get our hands on them. We are assured however that 1.4 is due "very, very, very soon."
Original source article - http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/01/warhawk-trophies-and-patches-detailed-new-booster-hinted/

Which would seem to back up the idea that others and myself had that some games (those that store stats on a central server) can award trophies retroactively. Its also nice to hear that Warhawk will also gain some based on totally new stuff. Hopefully they arrive sooner, rather than later.

I will at least be able to confirm trophies for Buzz on Friday, as I full intend to pick up a copy.

Regards

Scaff

I will at least be able to confirm trophies for Buzz on Friday, as I full intend to pick up a copy.

Speaking of Buzz... I've heard a lot of really good "buzz" about Buzz. (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

It would be great if someone such as yourself who is getting the game might consider starting a dedicated thread for it. 👍

I've heard that, like echochrome and LittleBigPlanet, we will be able to create our own puzzles, games, or in this case quizzes to share with our friends. Is this true, and do you know if we will be able to play with friends across the pond?

Thanks!

Question... I only have the standard Stardust and wondered if there is anymore trophies available in the add-on packs?

I've unlocked several of them so far and they did pop-up in game as I unlocked them. They have been added to my profile and am nearly "Level 2".

There's one definite one I'll go for since I've managed it once or twice before is the "Gold" x10 multiplayer one. 👍

G.T
Question... I only have the standard Stardust and wondered if there is anymore trophies available in the add-on packs?

Yes.

Just click on Trophy Collection in the XMB Game menu, then click on Super Stardust HD, and this will show you the complete list of all the trophies. Under each Trophy title it starts with the game mode/add-on you must use, and how to get the trophy. You'll find a few that require the add-on.

Now that I've had time to actually collect a few of SSHD's trophies the whole feature has grown on me a little more. However I'm a little confused on the "Close Encounters" trophy description, "survive for 45 seconds without shooting or using a bomb." My question is "survive" when? I began a game on Lave and flew around for a good minute and a half (obviously no mean feat) but didn't unlock that particular trophy. I'm guessing the title is meant to suggest that it must be done when the first flying saucer shows up. I'll go verify.

Now that I've had time to actually collect a few of SSHD's trophies the whole feature has grown on me a little more. However I'm a little confused on the "Close Encounters" trophy description, "survive for 45 seconds without shooting or using a bomb." My question is "survive" when? I began a game on Lave and flew around for a good minute and a half (obviously no mean feat) but didn't unlock that particular trophy. I'm guessing the title is meant to suggest that it must be done when the first flying saucer shows up. I'll go verify.

You have to have the SSHD add-on and be playing "Survival Mode". As explained in the post above yours, under each Trophy title, it starts with the game mode that you must be in, in order to achieve that specific trophy. 👍

You have to have the SSHD add-on and be playing "Survival Mode". As explained in the post above yours, under each Trophy title, it starts with the game mode that you must be in, in order to achieve that specific trophy. 👍

Now I feel like an idiot. :dunce:

I guess I assumed that since I don't have any of the expansions I wouldn't see the trophies associated with them. Also "survival-" isn't overly descriptive, IMHO, in conveying that the specific trophy is associated with an expansion pack.

But thanks DN it is all quite clear now. :)

Speaking of Buzz... I've heard a lot of really good "buzz" about Buzz. (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

It would be great if someone such as yourself who is getting the game might consider starting a dedicated thread for it. 👍

I've heard that, like echochrome and LittleBigPlanet, we will be able to create our own puzzles, games, or in this case quizzes to share with our friends. Is this true, and do you know if we will be able to play with friends across the pond?

Thanks!

Not a problem, I will see what I can put together thread wise tomorrow (of to bed in a second) and then update it with info on Friday.

👍

Edited to add

Picked up the following bit of info....

Hey Everyone -

With the latest Playstation 3 firmware now available, I see a lot of questions regarding how it effects Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

At this time, we have no plans to patch in Trophy support for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the PS3. Much like DualShock rumble addition to the PS3, the support for these new features have come much to late for us to add it to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare due to our current production schedule.

We would have loved to have these in the game at launch if the support was available, or shortly after.
Source - http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2750

So I will be adding a new part to the first post for games that we know WILL NOT be getting trophies, as I think it will be handy for anyone potentially looking to buy them. I must say that I'm disappointed in regard to COD4, it may have given me reason to dig it out again (now its just relegated it to part exchange).

Scaff

I thought Ratchet was with trophies. I was about to FIRE that bad boy game. :(
Last night I Play some Super Stardust and received 2 trophies. I wish they could be 3d when you play HOME :)

G.T

I've unlocked several of them so far and they did pop-up in game as I unlocked them. They have been added to my profile and am nearly "Level 2".

There's one definite one I'll go for since I've managed it once or twice before is the "Gold" x10 multiplayer one. 👍
Bah I was on 9x multiplayer for AGES and suddenly got killed. :(

More info on who is and is not planning to add trophies to existing titles..

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=300251&postcount=9

...2K have said that Civilization Revolution will NOT be getting them.

However Criterion and Naughty Dog will be adding them for Burnout and Uncharted, hopefully it will be a pattern for EA (bring them out for BF:BC damn it).
Source - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31041/Developers-pledge-PS3-Trophy-support

To be honest I never personally expected a lot of the older games to get patched for trophies, particularly those that were not dual format, as the would need to be put together from scratch, rather than adapted from the 360 achievements.

Regards

Scaff

Odd Civilization will not be getting them, since it's a new game.

The 360 ones are mixed though - some are very easy or very hard to get and time consuming. There's one for every nation you win a game with, one beating the game on the hardest mode several ways (VERY hard to get), and smaller achievements which are easy to get like unlocking your first special person, etc.

So, I guess Eric Lempel is kind of taking a hit on his comments about all games eventually getting trophies then?

G.T
Bah I was on 9x multiplayer for AGES and suddenly got killed. :(
I had 19 bombs when I died.

Gosh this trophy system is starting to sound really lame from the 'already released games' side of things, I really thought it would be a given that all first party Sony titels would have supported it but it now seems only small PSN games are getting the focus.... as for 3rd party good luck!

We will have to see how it pans out for future releases, it would be mad for all games here on in to not include trophy support.... nearly all 360 games do.

I was sure COD4 would get trophies, oh well....

Robin

Fixed.

Gosh this trophy system is starting to sound really lame from the 'already released games' side of things, I really thought it would be a given that all first party Sony titels would have supported it but it now seems only small PSN games are getting the focus.... as for 3rd party good luck!

We will have to see how it pans out for future releases, it would be mad for all games here on in to not include trophy support.... nearly all 360 games do.

I was sure COD4 would get trophies, oh well....

Robin, Sony can't magically add trophies to games. It is up to each developer to come up with them, and write and release a software update.

Robin, Sony can't magically add trophies to games. It is up to each developer to come up with them, and write and release a software update.

I know but you would have thought first party dev's would feel obgiated to help Sony out with the launch of the trophies system by making exsisting first party games compatible.....

Plus, how hard can it seriously be to add these features! Sony kept pushing that fact that it was easy of devs to add the functionality to exsisting titles...

Robin

I know but you would have thought first party dev's would feel obgiated to help Sony out with the launch of the trophies system by making exsisting first party games compatible.....

Plus, how hard can it seriously be to add these features! Sony kept pushing that fact that it was easy of devs to add the functionality to exsisting titles...

Robin

One way would be is get trained as a video game programmer, I bet it is not easy at all. An example would be GT5:P, how long did the game take?

Plus the PS3 has multiple cores to make use of.

One way would be is get trained as a video game programmer, I bet it is not easy at all. An example would be GT5:P, how long did the game take?

Plus the PS3 has multiple cores to make use of.

Im not doubting that games are hard to dev for.... adding little trophy symbols to a game which probably already has a stat system of its own is not...

Robin.

Im not doubting that games are hard to dev for.... adding little trophy symbols to a game which probably already has a stat system of its own is not...

Things happen and or don't happen for a reason.

Given that, what reason would they have to not do it then, assuming you are right and that adding the trophy feature to an existing game is so easy to do?

If you can't come up with an answer, then I suggest that maybe it is not as easy to do as you may think it is, and that maybe the developers' resources are tied up with more important projects right now, but will release an update for trophies when a reasonable opportunity to do so arises.

One thing is for sure though, if developers felt that there was a high demand for trophies for one or more of the games that they have developed, and that demand would translate into additional game sales and or build fan loyalty such that it translates to higher sales of future games, then other than the challenge and cost in doing so, there is no logical reason that they would not at some point offer trophies.

I for one can certainly understand why most previously released games, even first party games, did not and will likely not be coming out with an update to add trophies any time soon.

Back