True Force F1 ™ WTC [Closed - WDC: LewyOs!]F1 2010-2016 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't intend to look like a brown nose here, but if the rules are tried and tested, then dont change them, you may risk creating all new problems for yourself.

Sorry, it just came off as if you were suggesting I had no idea what I was doing.
No problem. Without tons of smileys the internet is poor at conveying the tone of a message. :)
For example, the option of making the race according to each participants native timezone - that wasn't done off the top of my head, that resulted from previous problems. Originally, it was set to begin and end according to Eastern Standard (my native timezone), however, too many people were unable to participate accordingly so I fixed it to the way it is now. If you want me to go back to a mandated timezone and risk other people being unable to participate, then I'll surely do that....but what happens when someone is unable to conform to my timezone, what if (for arguments sake) when it begins here, it's too late for them? What if when it ends here, it's too early for them?

Unless my understanding of what we're doing is still way off, I don't see why this is would be a problem or why it was a problem for you in the past.

If the way the first round is structured is any indication of how others will follow, then I don't think anyone is given any particular advantage/disadvantage if you based everything off of GMT. Everyone has the same amount of time (exactly four days for round 1) and can submit early if they're not able to do so at the exact last minute.
So with that thought in mind, it makes no difference to me how you do it... either way I'll still try to participate as often as I can. I was merely trying to look at it from your point of view. If it were me receiving the times, I personally couldn't be bothered to double check that people were getting their entries in before the deadline past for them locally. But if you're willing to, and particularly if you've run things in this way previously, then don't let me stand in your way.

👍

T-12, can you please clarify rule 9 and answer the questions I posted previously about rule 11? Still confused.

9. Practice sessions are allowed unless noted otherwise, however, you must practice beforehand. Practice sessions will not be allowed on the day the event is scheduled to take place.

Think of this as what the current F1 season dictates: there is no track testing whatsoever (unless I specify otherwise) so, in the case you're unfamiliar with a track, or unfamiliar with it in wet conditions, I'm essentially saying "tough 🤬" you'll get better the more you lap the track, and your times should gradually get faster and faster. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

11. Make-up events will be allowed unless noted otherwise. In the event such is to take place, every participating member will be required to attend the make-up event. However, additional points will not be rewarded to those who have already participated in the originally scheduled event.

What's confusing about this? A make-up event for the previous round (in the case it's allowed) will be held if more than 3 participants are unable to meet the original occurrence for whatever reason, and only if they wish to make it up. I've never specified this further because, well, it was never exercised but those are the full-length parameters.

- If more than 3 people are unable to participate and wish to make up the race, then they can, but only if more than 1 wishes to exercise this regulation. I simply will not hold a make-up event for a lone participant.

Everyone will be required to participate in the interest of fairness, but as I've said already, this particular regulation was never exercised, so I suppose a make-up event with just those three participants is more than possible.

Ok after some more testing, yeah the GP mode idea is probably not workable. For one, as you noted, there will be other cars on the track. Although it is easy enough to avoid them it is impossible to determine if a participant used another car for a tow/drafting effect down a straight. Worse though is that in this mode keeping a "valid" lap is much easier, in many/most places one can take all 4 wheels off the track and not lose the lap time. Sooo... save for more testing and consideration it is probably best to consider GP mode unworkable for these events.

Sadly though as the inclusion of tire wear and fuel loads could've really added some spice to things :(.

Okay, so the intent here is not to publicly attack or criticize the rules or nature of the competition, or anything like that. I'm still trying to figure out what rule 9 means. Also, I'm not looking for any loopholes or anything to exploit.

9. Practice sessions are allowed unless noted otherwise, however, you must practice beforehand. Practice sessions will not be allowed on the day the event is scheduled to take place.

Think of this as what the current F1 season dictates: there is no track testing whatsoever (unless I specify otherwise) so, in the case you're unfamiliar with a track, or unfamiliar with it in wet conditions, I'm essentially saying "tough 🤬" you'll get better the more you lap the track, and your times should gradually get faster and faster. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

I understand that you're trying to say 'Practice' could possibly be limited based on the event description. Fine.

What I don't understand is this:

1. What do you consider practice? I would consider every lap that an individual does not submit to be practice. How can you put a cap on that?
    If you mean for people to wait until the round has officially started in their timezone, then say that. Or consider my other suggestion where the round starts simultaneously for everybody everywhere based on some time specified in GMT, and wait until that time to post the challenge. Then there's no chance of anyone taking a headstart.
  2. Next it says 'you must practice beforehand'. Well... why? Doesn't that contradict the first half of the first sentence of rule 9? Couldn't someone submit the time for the very first lap they complete, assuming they stay on track?
    What it boils down to for me is why can't we run as many or as few TT laps as we want so long as we submit a valid time before the deadline arrives?
  3. You did not explain the second sentence of rule 9 in your reply (unless that was supposed to be the self-explanatory part). The inability to practice on the day of 'the event' has no applicability to an offline, solo run fastest-lap-wins type of competition in my opinion. As I said, in my view every attempted lap that is not submitted is a practice lap. The rule seems even more out of place given that we have several days, not a single day, to create an entry for Round 1.

I'm sorry, by this point you're probably annoyed with me and think I'm being pedantic, but I really have problems with the wording of rule 9 and still have no clear idea of its intent, what it adds to the competition, or how it can possibly be enforced. It feels like it was written for an online competition, and then wasn't changed when the decision was made to make it an offline competition.

11. Make-up events will be allowed unless noted otherwise. In the event such is to take place, every participating member will be required to attend the make-up event. However, additional points will not be rewarded to those who have already participated in the originally scheduled event.

What's confusing about this? A make-up event for the previous round (in the case it's allowed) will be held if more than 3 participants are unable to meet the original occurrence for whatever reason, and only if they wish to make it up. I've never specified this further because, well, it was never exercised but those are the full-length parameters.

- If more than 3 people are unable to participate and wish to make up the race, then they can, but only if more than 1 wishes to exercise this regulation. I simply will not hold a make-up event for a lone participant.

Everyone will be required to participate in the interest of fairness, but as I've said already, this particular regulation was never exercised, so I suppose a make-up event with just those three participants is more than possible.

Fair enough. :) I have to ask then, why isn't the full rule stated upfront in the OP?

What I don't understand is this:

1. What do you consider practice? I would consider every lap that an individual does not submit to be practice. How can you put a cap on that?
    If you mean for people to wait until the round has officially started in their timezone, then say that. Or consider my other suggestion where the round starts simultaneously for everybody everywhere based on some time specified in GMT, and wait until that time to post the challenge. Then there's no chance of anyone taking a headstart.
  2. Next it says 'you must practice beforehand'. Well... why? Doesn't that contradict the first half of the first sentence of rule 9? Couldn't someone submit the time for the very first lap they complete, assuming they stay on track?
    What it boils down to for me is why can't we run as many or as few TT laps as we want so long as we submit a valid time before the deadline arrives?
  3. You did not explain the second sentence of rule 9 in your reply (unless that was supposed to be the self-explanatory part). The inability to practice on the day of 'the event' has no applicability to an offline, solo run fastest-lap-wins type of competition in my opinion. As I said, in my view every attempted lap that is not submitted is a practice lap. The rule seems even more out of place given that we have several days, not a single day, to create an entry for Round 1.
1. Practice is defined as any session or sessions that take place before the scheduled event itself, and serves the sole purpose of gaining a sense of familiarity with the track. Every lap that is done during the scheduled race is not defined as a practice lap, especially considering (in the vein of there being no practice session for the following example) the fact that should there be a track that any participant is particularly unfamiliar with, they're being sent in with one arm tied behind their back, so to speak. As for how I can put a cap on that, well, the succeeding round won't be posted until the day and time it is to take place.

2. Number 1 answers this in the opening sentence, however, to elaborate further practice sessions, or rounds (to be formal) take place before the day of the actual event itself. The key here is never assume you have all of the angles figured out and can use those to your advantage, because anyone who thinks that will find themselves disappointed - of that I can assure you.

3. I've answered this twice in the preceding answers already.

I'm sorry, by this point you're probably annoyed with me and think I'm being pedantic, but I really have problems with the wording of rule 9 and still have no clear idea of its intent, what it adds to the competition, or how it can possibly be enforced. It feels like it was written for an online competition, and then wasn't changed when the decision was made to make it an offline competition.
Best advice? Wait and see how it's enforced, as I alluded to before...no one should assume they have all of the angles (read: loopholes) figured out, because as this is my competition (and rules/regulations) I was well aware of the possible loopholes before the possibility of any one participant being confused existed. Like I said, I've done this before - don't worry yourself about someone possibly cheating.

Fair enough. :) I have to ask then, why isn't the full rule stated upfront in the OP?
Like I've told you, it was never exercised before, but I'll add that bit of information to clarify it further. :lol:

heh, okay okay...

Seems like if I want to get a straight answer about everything I'll just have to stay tuned and see how things pan out. :lol:

heh, okay okay...

Seems like if I want to get a straight answer about everything I'll just have to stay tuned and see how things pan out. :lol:

Only about the particular question, yeah. :P

Joking aside, I hope the purpose of a "practice session" is as clear as day now, you'll get the full picture once there's a session mandated.

So, I've thought about this throughout the weekend and I've come to the decision that, for no other reason, than to place some more responsibility over the heads of those wishing to win the PSC (Premium Subscription Championship :lol:) that all posted times will be in my native timezone of Eastern Standard Time (EST). Hereto, it will be your responsibility to adjust the beginning and ending periods of every round respective to this competition to your own timezone. If you want someone to blame, then blame Brent (Boundary Layer). Him, and his blue, silver, and yellow camping tent. :P

Without any further ado, or objection (if otherwise, state such objection below and watch it be ignored, no, I kid) Round 1 of the F1 WTC shall commence tonight at 10:59 PM EST, and will end Thursday, November 4th at 11:59 PM EST.

So, I've thought about this throughout the weekend and I've come to the decision that, for no other reason, than to place some more responsibility over the heads of those wishing to win the PSC (Premium Subscription Championship :lol:) that all posted times will be in my native timezone of Eastern Standard Time (EST). Hereto, it will be your responsibility to adjust the beginning and ending periods of every round respective to this competition to your own timezone. If you want someone to blame, then blame Brent (Boundary Layer). Him, and his blue, silver, and yellow camping tent. :P

Without any further ado, or objection (if otherwise, state such objection below and watch it be ignored, no, I kid) Round 1 of the F1 WTC shall commence tonight at 10:59 PM EST, and will end Thursday, November 4th at 11:59 PM EST.
Man you're evil but cool.
No time clock? You must hate us.:lol:

To everyone else: I'm going to find out the time and am going to tell all of you the wrong time:lol::lol::lol:

Those laughs are supposed to be evil

If you want someone to blame, then blame Brent (Boundary Layer). Him, and his blue, silver, and yellow camping tent. :P

I object to my tent having to bare any of the blame ...and also to you specifying eastern standard time when we are still in daylight savings mode until next weekend. :P Its almost like all this confusion is engineered intentionally.

Since the prize offers no benefit to me (Im lifetime premium) I might as well turn off all aids and see where I place. At least this way Ill have an excuse for going slowly.

I object to my tent having to bare any of the blame ...and also to you specifying eastern standard time when we are still in daylight savings mode until next weekend. :P Its almost like all this confusion is engineered intentionally.

Since the prize offers no benefit to me (Im lifetime premium) I might as well turn off all aids and see where I place. At least this way Ill have an excuse for going slowly.

Perhaps. :dunce:

Two new rules added to the book, and the prize has been bumped up to a full year subscription - who's the best? Me, that's who. :lol:

What track are we doing?

Bahrain.

Since you asked, that reminds me I need to subsequently post the event details in a separate post, and then 'sticky' them to the OP.

How can we prove that we use standard throttle?

That's about the only thing I can't enforce without hacking into someone's webcam. :lol:

Anyway, it's the throttle map you start with by default. There is a way I can tell the difference between Standard and Fast mapping, but for something so relatively trivial, I'll only bother if all of the submitted times are out of this world.

But the only way would be to have a video lap and look at the speeds.

That's about the only valid way, short of watching every single person. I can tell just by observing the times, and if need be, testing them myself. Now it is possible to suck just as bad with a fast mapping as it is would be with the standard mapping, and in such a case...you're not really doing yourself a favor by cheating. :lol:

:lol: I'm not going to cheat. I'm on par with a few people in this tournament already and I want to try beat them fair and square.

Any particular screen you want us to take a pic of as proof of our times? In the garage on the Session Overview screen, or on track with laptimes displayed?

Just keeping a mental tally, if I could do my perfect lap I'd be at least 2s faster than I am currently, so I'm sure someone will absolutely blitz what I've currently got. It's the usual story of biting off a bit too much kerb here, or stepping on the gas just a bit too soon there...

Any particular screen you want us to take a pic of as proof of our times? In the garage on the Session Overview screen, or on track with laptimes displayed?

Just keeping a mental tally, if I could do my perfect lap I'd be at least 2s faster than I am currently, so I'm sure someone will absolutely blitz what I've currently got. It's the usual story of biting off a bit too much kerb here, or stepping on the gas just a bit too soon there...

Oh, something I forgot to consider!

The overview screen would be better as it only keeps track of your fastest lap, and only your fastest lap. Yeah, let's go with the overview screen...I'll specify this in the next round and those that follow.

If you can (and this applies to everyone) taking a picture of both screens will earn you invisible trust points. Yes, I just went there. :lol:

I took a picture of the tv screen with my car on track, stopped, with the best lap shown in the upper right. Thats probably it for me for Bahrain so that will have to do. Hate the track, the car, the lousy hotel food, cab drivers always taking the 'long way' by accident. God, get me out of Arabia.

Boundary Layer-- yeah, well, its funny how the car reacts in the section after T5. It feels a little auto-pilot through there, with a weird feeling of momentum built in. But fighting the curbs is pretty fun in Bahrain. Many of them also fight back! THats why I deleted the patch from my game. It waters down the hostile curbs way too much for my taste. ANyway, good luck.

Just set a time for this in the force india. Can I take a pic of the leader board screen or do you want it from in the garage?

I have a picture from the garage screen but there is no proof that the time was set in a force india... I took one from in game too.

So far I have submitted times from two (2) participants.

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back