UEFA Euro 2024 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 103 comments
Belgium v Romania is a pretty entertaining game - Belgium are playing like men possessed, but Romania are standing up to it and are playing well themselves.

This kind of energy, passion, determination, creativity, movement and intelligence is a joy to watch. Gareth Southgate - are you watching?

Romelu Lukaku could have been topscorer with 3 goals. Instead he has another record, most goals disallowed.

Although they are much better then against Slovakia. They still need to be more accurate. Could have easily been 4 - 0.

Last edited:
What is it with the holes in the back of the socks?
Guys cut holes in their socks with scissors because fashion.

It's stupid, but it's the only way to stand out in spite of uniform regulations. Now that many people are doing it, however, they just look like dummies.

Screenshot_20240623-121110.png

Fat load of use it was to the England team!

I'm surprised they are allowed to do that - didn't there used to be standards of equipment/appearance etc.?

-

A good friend of mine arrived in Stuttgart this morning and will be at the Scotland game tonight.

I'm in two minds whether to risk going to the pub, or just watch it at home... probably the latter, as I'm working tomorrow - but if Scotland win tonight and qualify for the knockout phase of an international tournament for the first time in our history, then you can bet that there is going to be some sore heads at work tomorrow!

Last edited:
The all important last round of group stage games start tonight, so here is the schedule.

Tonight.
Scotland v Hungary (8pm)
Switzerland v Germany (8pm)

Monday.
Croatia v Italy (8pm)
Albania v Spain (8pm)

Tuesday.
Netherlands v Austria (5pm)
France v Poland (5pm)
England v Slovenia (8pm)
Denmark v Serbia (8pm)

Wednesday.
Slovakia v Romania (5pm)
Ukraine v Belgium (5pm)
Czechia v Turkey (8pm)
Georgia v Portugal (8pm)

All kick off times are GMT and they kick off at the same time to stop cheating, basically.

No more 2pm games with the Turkey-Czechia game yesterday being the last.

Last 16 starts on Saturday.

I'm in two minds whether to risk going to the pub, or just watch it at home... probably the latter, as I'm working tomorrow - but if Scotland win tonight and qualify for the knockout phase of an international tournament for the first time in our history, then you can bet that there is going to be some sore heads at work tomorrow!
In the worst case with a win you still have to wait until Wednesday for the outcome of P3 in groups E + F. But maybe we can support a direct qualification tonigh but probably a bit too many to be scored goals involved.

Scotland started brightly, but yet again they are falling foul of an almost pathological fear of playing the ball forward.

There's zero point in having much more of the ball but keep playing it from side-to-side and then backwards all the time - similarly, there's no point in 'being on top of the game' and doing nothing with it.

Hungary seem happy for us to piss about and sit back and wait on us screwing it up, and then hitting us on the break. Somehow, despite the lion's share of possession, we've still not had a single shot on goal in the entire first half of the game. :indiff:

That was a tough one for us but in the end we fought well for the draw to potentially avoid Italy (still our curse even finally beating them at Euro16 after 18 penaltys in 1/4 final after 46! years of defeats in tournaments).

Had Scotland on the second screen and what a bummer in 90' + 10 with the late defeat 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
It was heartbreak for Scotland and I am gutted for them, they should have had a penalty too. However I don't think they were ever likely to qualify with just two points and that poor GD.

Hungary's Barnabus Varga is stable and conscious after a collision with Scotland keeper Angus Gunn floored him, game was stopped for a while whilst he had treatment and it did seem pretty serious plus a shield was formed around him using blankets, it brough back horrible memories of Christian Eriksen's cardiac arrest. Hungary's manager said that he needs to have surgery on a fractured cheekbone.

I think Scotland had a valid penalty shout but I don't think it was quite as stonewall as it's being made out to be. Conservative play and a lack of shooting will punish you though; if you don't shoot, you don't score. And by the time they overloaded up top, Hungary sprang the surprise attack that you just knew was coming.

I thought it was a pretty decent close match in the most part and the very late Hungary goal wasn't the final nail in the coffin as a draw most likely wouldn't be enough to go through anyway.

Good to see Varga is alrightish. I hadn't seen him go down as two scotish players were also down and obviously hurt. They don't tend to replay incidents if they think its serious, but i rewound the feed to try and see what happened but even then it was difficult to tell as there was so much going on. He did fall like a sack of spuds though. It was only when i saw a still of the collision in one of the news feeds this morning that you could see it was an elbow to the jaw. Nasty.

An update has just been provided regarding Varga, saying that he suffered facial fractures and a concussion.

Spain's B team look very impressive - I'm sure Scotland (and England for that matter) could use the following pointers, based on Spain's (and Albania's for that matter) current performance:
  • Putting the ball in the opponent's net is a good idea
  • Trying to put the ball in the opponent's net is a good idea
  • Making your opponent's realise that you are trying to put the ball in their net is a good idea
  • Having players and a manager who know the points above is a good idea

Last edited:
Pretty sure Croatia are out unless England win by four against Slovenia. I'm also reasonably sure that had Scotland got the draw last night they'd be the same position but needing a five-goal England win.

Albania's defeat somehow means England have qualified with at least a third placed group finish.

Albania's defeat somehow means England have qualified with at least a third placed group finish.
Pretty much because England have four points and that means they even if they lose to Slovenia and Denmark beat Serbia win and therefore finish third, they can't be worse than the fourth-worst third-place team (as two have finished their games on 3pt and 2pt) and the top-four third-place teams qualify.

Back