Unpopular Motorsport Opinions

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,998 comments
and I have never ever seen any other professional driver go turn-1-take-out and put in zero effort having an actual race...
I've always suspected this was not a accident from Di Grassi:

Shout out to Jack Nicholls for getting the 'its happened immediately' reference to Murray Walker in there.

I don't understand the (current) appeal of NASCAR. Like I could see the appeal of it if it raced at more road courses and featured cars that were closer to stock, but I also feel like an unfortunately sizable amount of what I need to know about NASCAR can be summed up with the right-wing refrain "Let's go Brandon!" I'd honestly far sooner catch a glimpse at the Daytona 24h than the Daytona 500.

Last edited:
I don't understand the (current) appeal of NASCAR. Like I could see the appeal of it if it raced at more road courses and featured cars that were closer to stock,
Whether or not NASCAR is actually appealing aside, it's a different discipline in it's own machinery, which notionally adds to it's appeal in my view. The USA sees GT4 racing already, TCR racing, the various production classes in SCCA (or whatever it is now), and there's also the Trans-Am series in the USA for stock cars on road circuits, and Stock Car Brasil too. As much as is viable we need to make sure that series get to keep some kind of USP to set them apart. Since DTM became just another GT3 series in a country that already had a GT3 series, viewership has tanked. TCR UK gets a fraction of the audience that BTCC does. Series' need to be their own thing, not the same thing.

Just my two cents.

As much as is viable we need to make sure that series get to keep some kind of USP to set them apart. Since DTM became just another GT3 series in a country that already had a GT3 series, viewership has tanked. TCR UK gets a fraction of the audience that BTCC does. Series' need to be their own thing, not the same thing.

Just my two cents.
I can agree with that. It's just not the same with DTM since they lost the ability to compete with the GT500 cars from Super GT. But I think that's exactly what we need - relatively exclusive regulations that somehow can be eligible for competition in other series. Imagine NASCAR being heavily changed to basically be an American version of DTM Class One/GT500-spec Super GT, complete with a return of Dodge.

Last edited:
Imagine NASCAR being heavily changed to basically be an American version of DTM Class One/GT500-spec Super GT, complete with a return of Dodge.
A NASCAR sanctioned North American class one series was set to happen at one stage, which might have been interesting, but it shouldn't be a change of the existing Cup or lower series... it should be in addition to.

A NASCAR sanctioned North American class one series was set to happen at one stage, which might have been interesting, but it shouldn't be a change of the existing Cup or lower series... it should be in addition to.
That might be a safer bet, yeah - if only to test the waters.

Unfortunately, Roland Ratzenberger is one of them. Died at the same time Senna did, and yet only Senna is recognized more. I should know, because I'm Brazilian, and while I do loved learning about Senna and agree with him being an inspiration and one of the best drivers of all time, other drivers also deserve such recognition because of their courage of racing in these crazy death traps.
Disagree with some parts. Roland would be all but forgotten if Senna had not crashed the following day. He is much more remembered and celebrated as a down to Earth guy who died following a dream than pretty much every other backmarker F1 driver killed on track.

Also think the Senna deification a bit too much and exhaustive most of the time. He was a dude full of flaws, but people turned him as an absolute hero who couldn't do wrong.

Yeah everyone always says 'Senna is remembered but everyone forgets about Ratzenberger' and I disagree with that. I think his being part of the Imola '94 story means people remember it much more than they would if it had happened in isolation. People tell his story regularly and that's good because he deserves to be celebrated. He made it the hard way then never really got the chance to live out his dreams.

I don't understand the (current) appeal of NASCAR. Like I could see the appeal of it if it raced at more road courses and featured cars that were closer to stock, but I also feel like an unfortunately sizable amount of what I need to know about NASCAR can be summed up with the right-wing refrain "Let's go Brandon!" I'd honestly far sooner catch a glimpse at the Daytona 24h than the Daytona 500.

This isn't really an unpopular opinion. If anything it's a popular opinion for many

I just wish there was a road course-only NASCAR series that used the Garage 56 spec car, with the Ford and Toyota also adapted, and featuring the best professional drivers from North America.

There'd never be anyone willing to develop that, or an audience for it, but I'd love to see a full grid of those Garage 56 cars so bad.

I just wish there was a road course-only NASCAR series that used the Garage 56 spec car, with the Ford and Toyota also adapted, and featuring the best professional drivers from North America.

There'd never be anyone willing to develop that, or an audience for it, but I'd love to see a full grid of those Garage 56 cars so bad.
Sounds like you want a new IROC series, which I’m all for, as long as lime rock and Laguna Seca are on the calendar. It would be hard to get current drivers though. It would end up being retired guys like SRX ended up.

Sounds like you want a new IROC series, which I’m all for, as long as lime rock and Laguna Seca are on the calendar. It would be hard to get current drivers though. It would end up being retired guys like SRX ended up.
Or it sounds a lot like a IMSA GTO (80's-90's era) style series to me.

I know a lot of people love this track, but since I'm doing Super Formula here this week in iRacing, I need to bitch about it.

Sebring is a **** track, and needs to be completely repaved. The layout is good, but the novelty of the bumps has worn off. Maybe it was kind of cool back in the day, but it's almost 2025 ffs.

Indycar can’t even race there because the bumps are larger than the ride height of the car. Meanwhile these cars can race around Toronto, it’s wild.

Back