W.M.A. International Touring Car Championship-Season Wrap-Up!

• Thread starter ITCC_Andrew
  • 2,900 comments

How much horsepower should cars have?

Votes: 2 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 6 11.5%

Votes: 8 15.4%

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you agree that I came close? Certainly, I need to look over the Mazdas & Toyotas, because they're quite fast.

I won't say that I'll use all of the cars from season I, but, expect at least 8 cars, preferably twelve. Thing is, though, I like the diversity in the cars & I'd like to see all of the teams using different cars.

I'll likely actually "spec by request" again, like I did in Season I. If anyone wants to try a car, I'll give them specs.

I guess it depends on how you define "close" For the GVE pre-season race I tested 4 cars and there was 2 second difference slowest to fastest, on a track that's just over a minute in length. That's 20 seconds in 10 laps with no real difference in tire wear. For some people that's close, to me it's world's apart. Even a few tenth's is enough of an advantage for a good driver that he will not be beat in the faster car.

You'll never, ever, ever, equalize all the cars you had in this series, on all tracks, on RS tires, it just won't happen. It would require literally hundreds of hours of testing, on several tracks, by one driver who can tune all the cars and get the maximum performance out of them. If someone who isn't an expert tuner who also happens to be an expert driver isn't in on the testing, you'll never find the true potential of every car. It's been tried many times and it has never really worked that I've seen. There was more than one ringer car in this series, and couple of them didn't see any action. I had a car for GVE in the low 1:06's for example, but never ran it.

Your best bet is to pick maybe 2 to 4 cars maximum, all with the same drivetrain and relatively close weight, and get rid of the RS tires and go to something a little more realistic, like Sports Tires, to bring out more driver skill, instead of just blasting through corners wide open on RS tires. A good example that might work is RX7 vs. RX8 vs Scion FR-S vs GT86. Or maybe Integra vs. Civic. There are a few combinations of cars like that, that can provide good, competitive, close racing. But if you mix FF's with 4WD's and RWD's, you just can't make the cars even enough for good racing, in my opinion.

I could not agree more with the one drivetrain rule. It is next to impossible to get even specs and also get the same tire wear unless you are a master tire wear expert. There are a few cars that I think were overpowered from the get-go. I think it was more about who complained the most this season is who got the most favorable situation. I like the variety, but there does need to be a limit to what you can use.

I would suggest you guys just take notes this season and alter the cars for the following season , it can only get better right

I would suggest you guys just take notes this season and alter the cars for the following season , it can only get better right

You're a good guy. I can tell. ;)

Also, that is the plan. :) Not bad plan at all. I'll impose a rule; 4 doors only. Sorry Mazda RX-7 & RX-8, & Toyota 86s, I want some 4 door action. :lol:

You do realise the "pit early for clean air" has worked wonders for the FR's. You'll notice, when I pit first I do well, and the tyre wear is the key factor. Add a pit window to minimise this tactic to bring the FF's back into it. The middle 50-60% should allow enough for tactics, whilst reducing the tyre wear disadvantage of the FF's.

There is a thread for this discussion in Interest Checks...

Anyways, I might turn off tire wear for sprint races.

^^This^^ 👍 on SS/RH tyres ... but only FF's and FR's ... no AWD's ...

Welll then... I thought the 'Liner was 4WD & 4 door... Though I'm likely wrong about the doors.

Otherwise, yeah, the tires willl also be up for discussion.

The only 4 door 'Liner is the newer 350/380 GT's ... like this ...

2010-Nissan-Skyline-Sedan--000.jpg

Could make for some interesting racing tho ... :sly:

I could not agree more with the one drivetrain rule. It is next to impossible to get even specs and also get the same tire wear unless you are a master tire wear expert.

I am a master tire wear expert...lol..and even I cannot get the tire wear on an FF close to the tire wear on the FR's and 4WD's on RS tires, nor do I think anyone else can. I think I had a double at Tsukuba in an FF, but even then I could probably have run that race 10 seconds faster in an FR or 4WD. On much harder tires, tire wear is much less of a factor. On SS tires for example it shouldn't be a problem to make the FF's competitive for 10 laps at most tracks. The RS tires just wear too fast for the differing drive trains to compete. A more realstic tire like a SH or SM would eliminate just about all tire wear concerns.

And it's a premium ... might be a bit on the heavy side, but you can balance it out with power ...

You can balance out the lap times but that doesn't make for good racing necessarily. Cornering speeds of heavier cars are naturally slower, meaning they need quite a bit more power to make up for the slower exit speeds. 50 kgs you can adjust for, 350kgs not so easy. And even if you get the lap times the same, you still have a car that is out of pace with the rest of the field on all parts of the track and that makes for bad racing.

One drive train, similar weights, always makes for the best racing.

Summarized:

-switch to harder tires
-run the same drivetrain

Sorry, just taking up less space. I value your opinion, and yes, we'll likely figure something out.

For our first season, everything went really well. However, I'd like to change a lot of things up for Season II. It might be so drastic as 4 cars only. I'm hoping that I can find a miracle formula, but, if that doesn't happen, I'll certainly consider your ideas. It's still worth a try.

The one thing I'm not liking about this discussion, is the location.

That's the link to the original ITCC Season II discussion thread. Everyone's welcome to post their ideas, there, where I won't have to scan through 200 pages.

So this could mean I would get to run a more desired car like the IS200 or the toyota vortex?

I would like to run the fiat or copen too lol

So this could mean I would get to run a more desired car like the IS200 or the toyota vortex?

I would like to run the fiat or copen too lol

Oh. my. god.

Did you even check the car list at all? Both cars were on it. :sly:

Lol, the car list was such a long time ago, like I said I remember some cars but not all of them, I'm going to make a google account so I can re-see the original list,

Lol, the car list was such a long time ago, like I said I remember some cars but not all of them, I'm going to make a google account so I can re-see the original list,

Not necessary. There's a W.M.A. account. PMs are best, though.

Monaco will rock.
We aren´t allowed to cutt the Harbor-chicane *thumbs-crossed* ?

Will be the tightest race I think 👍 And the one with the most amount of contacts but thats fine here due to the tightness of the course.

Same as a hole in one for golf. Parade yourself with trousers down. Being commando, the 3 "holes in 2" in a row scared the life out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back