Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 4,446 comments
I can't help thinking, for races where there's no tyre wear, they should totally make turn 3 at Eiger Reverse a Wacky Races-type thing where you can take either route through. That's how it feels every time I approach that corner.
:lol: That would be fun.
I remember doing a Sport Mode race during GT sport when two players went side by side into a turn at Tokyo Expressway. The player on the outside of the turn got slightly bumped into the pit lane. I was passing by and the car just went slowly down the exit ramp. Too funny.

I did the WC challenge Friday night. I started at Barcelona with GT One and got 1st place. Next I used the GTO at the Ring. I had a really good race until the end I spun out at the last curve before the finish to lose 1st. :banghead: The crazy thing about I was trying to make sure I didn't spin out there because I always do every time I drive on the Ring 🤷‍♂️ Next I won Eiger reverse because after like 4 consecutive weeks there I have figured the track out. Still don't like it, but it is what it is. Used the Valkyrie at Suzuka and I made sure to spin out in my Tundra at Willow Springs. Got the Jag VGT for my troubles. I had heard that the brakes were terrible and I have come to the conclusion that car has no brakes 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

So those targets ended up way too difficult in practice, so there was a need to course correct a bit. Best to refer to them as "soft targets" for now.
Eiger Nordwand Reverse__1.jpeg

EventCarPPHPWeight (lbs)Tire / Strategy
Pickup Truck RaceFord F-150 SVT Raptor '11412.89 (-0.62)3826336Comfort: Medium
European Clubman Cup 600Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91602.82 (+47.97)3462679Racing; Hard
Special Event - Alpine A110 '17 One-MakeAlpine A110 '17552.34 (+43.16)2482432Sports: Medium
Historic Sports Car MastersPlymouth XNR Ghia Roadster '60506.71 (+22.38)3073307Sports: Hard
World Touring Car 800Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3757.52 (+28.46)6792866Racing: 5M-5M

Most of the time spent was put towards selecting a car and trimming down the PP of the European Clubman Cup event and just putting in attempts for the Historic Sports Car Masters, by the time I got to Catalunya, I wanted a break and just went with the trusty C7 Gr.3 over doing anything fancy.

Nürburgring Nordschleife__2.jpeg
Suzuka Circuit_.jpeg

Replays

European Clubman Cup 600
Special Event - Alpine A110 '17 One-Make
Historic Sports Car Masters

As always, the Giulia was a problem car at Suzuka. I had runs where I beat every car but the Alfa, but it simply has too much firepower to deal with down the straights. Sometimes the AI went stupid and got stuck behind some slower cars, but for the most part you could kiss that sub 600 PP dream goodbye.

The XNR is just a difficult car for the Nordschleife. It constantly wants to kill you and you have to send it into nearly every corner. I only got by because one of the Countachs got into an incident and the racing gods blessed the track with some moisture. Overtaking the final car anywhere near the straight only led to having a brief scuffle in the last few corners, and having your last bit of hope taken from you during the drag race to the finish.

Took forever to do it, but its done now. The suffering is over. :)

Another meh week in my humble opinion.

Gr2 at Le Mans and the Lamborghini One Make at Trial Mountain is the good part.

Japanese Clubman is nice, but Laguna Seca is not. I think Laguna Seca works better with Gr4 and Gr3 cars.

Same with American Sunday 600. I like the eligible cars for it but Blue Moon Speedway..... Argh. 🥴

Ticket for parts 👎
Ticket for cars 👍

Last edited:
This was a not a great week, BUT I did a surprising amount of hyper-fixating driving.

All events were done of hard difficulty. First place in all. Hardest for me was the WTC800 race.

RACE 5 - WTC800 at Catalunya
  • I dislike GR.3 cars
  • I dislike Catalunya GP
  • the AI is extra, EXTRA annoying with GR.3 cars in low-speed corners
  • 0% chance of me getting a clean race bonus

What did I do? Detuned Group C car: Jaguar XJ-R9. I ran Racing Mediums on a 1-stop strategy. No turbo. With a lower fuel map I may have had enough fuel for a no-stop run, but I eat tires almost as quickly as I eat cookies when I'm depressed.

I had similar problems as @Talon16. I beat the AI in pace, but I spent half the race running alternate lines and dodging. The braking zone at the big hairpin was especially horrible with the AI stopping very early.

I first tried this in the Zonda R... I had to exit and relearn how to drive before I could win with it :indiff: The Zonda feels unreasonably slow at 800pp somehow.

Pushing the Jag and listening to its V12 for ~18 minutes at a time saved this from being an otherwise annoying event.

R5 - Jaaaag XJR9 - Action.jpg

R5 - Jaaaag XJR9 - Results.jpg

RACE 4 - Historic Sports Car Masters at Nurburgring Nordschleife
Ah, this was a pleasant surprise. I got to drive old cars, tune them to near 600pp, and drive the Nord -- this turned into my favorite event. It's an odd shame that the old racecars and the 300SL are not eligible, but I digress. Despite running this race A LOT, there was never enough rain to trouble even my Racing Medium and Hard builds.

I spent A LOT of time trying to make the forever cursed Plymouth Superbird corner without launching me into the Shadow Realm. That went as well as expected:

1725418377889.png

A fellow driver saved the day with some damper settings advice that made the next drive survivable. I later found that my rear ride height was far too high. Lowering that allowed me to finally drive my Superbird with confidence.

R4 - Superbird - Results 2.jpg

Next in the growing crew of 580pp misfits was an engine swapped VW Golf MK1, and a Mangusta (Me Gusta big V8 noises and rear weight bias!!).

R4 - Megusta - Action.jpg

R4 - Golf MK1 - Action.jpg
R4 - Golf MK1 - Action1.jpg
t

R4 - Golf MK1 - Results 2.jpg

Next, I dragged my hero Ferrari 308 out of the closet. The engine note and grip sent me into maximum attack mode (Mi Piace little V8 noises and rear weight bias!!)

R4 - 308 - Action.jpg
t

R4 - 308 - Results.jpg

The tuning urge took final hold of me and I brought out two engine swapped Japanese classics. The very loudly orange R31 with the R34 engine had the fastest run. The Supra didn't mind at all and was invited to Radwood.

R4 - Supra - Action.jpg
R4 - R31 - Action.jpg

R4 - Supra - Results.jpg
R4 - R31 - Results 2.jpg

But the biggest surprise was my Citroen DS 21. I was worried that the recent updates would have broken it. Nope! I only needed to make the brake bias less aggressive.

French Front Wheel Drive Maximum Attack Bliss.

R4 - DS21 - Action 2.jpg

R4 - DS21 - Results.jpg

Notes:
I expected low top speed Sports Softs or Racing Tire grip builds to do much worse here than power builds on Sports Mediums, but that wasn't the case.

RACE 3 - Special Event - A110 '17 at Eiger Reverse (🙄)

Driving the excellent A110 '17 here continues to highlight the fundamental lack of flow in the later half of this track.

My Alpine was widebodied and tuned to 550pp with Sports Softs. I had nothing on the straightaways, but walked all over everyone in the corners. Close race.

SE - A110-17 - Action.jpg

SE - A11o-17 - Results.jpg

RACE 2 - Beat Gallo's 700hp Giulia European Clubman Cup 600 at Suzuka

I chose violence.
R2 - Chiron - Action.jpg

830pp and 1700+ hp worth of fully upgraded (with Racing Softs) violence.

The Chiron felt like 830pp only in a straight line. The cornering was fine but underwhelming compared to other top handling road cars.

R2 - Chiron - Results.jpg

RACE 1 - Pickup Truck Race at Big Willow
I was mentally prepared for AI silliness, but I tried a stock Toyota Tundra on Sports Softs first...

And I ran away from the field. No tuning necessary! Though I did engine swap and widebody it later for 600pp foolishness, because of course -- that's what I do.

R1 - Tundra - Action.jpg

R1 - Tundra - Results.jpg

edited for typos - because there are always at least 5

Attachments

• R4 - Golf MK1 - Results.jpg
    R4 - Golf MK1 - Results.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3
  • R4 - R31 - Results.jpg
    R4 - R31 - Results.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
At least this one will force me to finally finish the Le Mans WTC 900 event! Been avoiding it..
Use the Toyota GT-ONE, and tune it up a bit, AI has one in race And is the main competitor and usually winds up in P1 by lap 3 and puts in to the pits on lap 7, little chance of rain but not hard enough to change tyres.

View attachment 1386746
All set.

Parts ticket? Blah.

Cars ticket? Crossing my fingers for one I don't have or can sell for at least 500,000 credits.

All my picks besides the Gallardo are first-time drives, so I like that.
Got to hand you props and respect for having all your cars painted in same liveries, bravo.

Decent week even if some of the race payouts aren't that great and we got another parts ticket which isn't worth anything. Gallardo one make was pretty easy again, stock car was fast enough but it was at a good track. Clubman Cub at Laguna can be a little tricky, leader especially is a lot quicker than the rest of the field but you can still be a decent bit under the suggested PP. WTC 900 is a fun race but quite easy, bringing a Gr.1 car on RH ended with me winning by over a minute but that does give you a lot of options with cars. Would prefer it to start in the dark so we got more of the sunrise, or maybe have some weather in there too. I like the car tickets, either get something worth selling or a car I'm missing, this week got the AMG Vision GT which I didn't have.

This weeks cars:
full

Back