Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 5,032 comments
Many people posting here are also not telling us, which difficulty they're playing on.
"I won race xy with car yz easily" doesn't say much if we don't know about the difficulty setting.
Unless otherwise stated, I'm always Hard.

That said, after a bottle of wine, I sometimes revert to Normal.

Last edited:
Many people posting here are also not telling us, which difficulty they're playing on.
"I won race xy with car yz easily" doesn't say much if we don't know about the difficulty setting.
To be honest mate and sincerely I play on the hardest difficulty.

But it really doesn't matter to me what difficulty you or anyone else uses unless they wanna come do my races. I'm just happy for people winning and having fun races.

Where do you stop? I play with a DD wheel, loadcell and no assists. What does that matter to you? I used to play with a pad on the sofa or kitchen table using all the assists? Again how did that affect you?

Individual skill is such a massive part of it that it renders it a moot thing to worry about anyway. Some could win a race easily on Hard in a car that others would struggle to win with on Medium.

I think the point of @Sir Crashalot is to say that if we don't know what difficulty someone is using, it is a bit pointless to know which car he used to win an event, because on easy mode for example, you can win an event with much more cars than in hard where you might need to make a good choice.

If you are like me struggling on some events and looking for the right "tool" to win, it is usefull to know which car someone used but also the difficulty, otherwise you may try the car and not succeed because it is not good enough on the difficulty you use.

If you are like me struggling on some events and looking for the right "tool" to win, it is usefull to know which car someone used but also the difficulty, otherwise you may try the car and not succeed because it is not good enough on the difficulty you use.
But what if the car is something you can win with but driver skill is actually the factor?

That's what nebuc was saying, is that a lot of the events are winnable with the weakest car in the group but abilities vary.

Difficulty just raises the average lap time slightly (hence the cars just taking lines and ignoring you) but player ability is the deciding factor.

But as I said what does it matter if you easily do it? And I struggle to do it? Or I use an M3 for the rush hour race etc?

The point is not what you did to win or how challenging it was but in celebrating the win or fun everything else is personal preference to whatever makes them more fun to you. I like to use 80's liveries where I can.

People's do people and I'll do me.

I bet that's what they all say...

Personally, I finished the "career" on Normal, but since then I've been Easy, Easy like Sunday morning...
Personally I'm always on Normal. I'm not confident enough in my poor driving skills and my lack of concentration, also GT7 is my escape from the world so I don't want it to be stressing, hence why I never actually even tried Hard. Which, I guess, probably won't be even truly hard anyways.

If you are looking for a solution to succeed in winning an event where you are struggling, you take all clues you can.
Then worry about the clues, the car and any tuning are just brute force.

Ask different questions "how did you do it, what was the tactic, did you tune the car, do you have any tips I can use with the xyz car"

Ask a different question and you'll get more useful answers

That must have been tuned up quite a bit, as the opponents are all Gr.3 cars.
I did, and I got a medium-RPM turbo boost which brought the PP up to 772. The limit was 800. It had enough power to get me a first place finish. So, I didn't need to use the Porsche RSR.

All my races are set to Professional. I think it was a weird Super GT500 race at Fuji way early in GT7. Might have been a community concern as using professional was easy and easy was more difficult(skip it, I can’t remember).

I don't think difficulty setting matter too much here. You can beat any races in any "proposed setups" here in easy mode. You can pickup the race from Joe's hard mode to your easy mode and have an easy time.
Anybody is free to change to "Normal" or "Hard" depends on how challenge you want it to be. From my experience, except for Formula race, I can't tell the different between difficulty settings, as they're really nearly the same to me. If I can beat it in normal mode, it would be the same for me in hard mode as well.

It looks like some people, especially @newmedia_dev , understood this wrong.
This is not about elitism or "showing off".
I admitted here quite often that I, myself, am a rather mediocre player and I don't judge anyone on the difficulty they're playing the game on.
This is just about information. Saying "I won the Le Mans 700 with the Abarth" isn't very useful without context, for example. There are cars you can win a race with on easy but not on hard because the difference in lap times of AI is quite substantial.
I usually do the weeklies on hard but sometimes I don't feel like it and I go for easy to just have fun with rather unusual cars. No problem, but I always give this info when I make a post here.

Never changed difficulty from professional/hard (?) (can't recall the name) but if possible I always cheese the events with something clearly superior, say a Valkyrie in Sunday Cup. Just to get them done quickly.

Most entertaining was Dino so far .
The Dino is wonderful! Playful in the stock configuration. Then full attack into every corner when fully tuned.

THOUGHTS ON THIS WEEK'S CHALLENGES

The Historic Sports Car Masters Marathon

How I feel about this race:
yay-yeah.gif

THE GOAL
  • Tune every car* that is eligible for this event to the 580pp limit on Racing Hard Tires or better
  • Try to win without engine swaps
  • Get sweet, sweet engine-swapped revenge for the cars that struggled
  • (Edit because I forgot) on to mention Hard Difficulty

How serious have I been about this?

Very Serious.jpg

Also, why, PD? Why??

I love old cars.

PROGRESS AS OF WRITING
I've finished everything in garage / manufacturer order up to Jaguar (Jaaaag)

This first group of cars I did before I committed to the marathon; their tunes are different, and they are in no particular order.

ROUND 1 - The Suffering of Stock

Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary
Stock. I made several attempts on Comfort Soft tires. I came close to a win, but I got the fastest field with two AI Countachs. It appeared the Countachs were slightly lighter than stock and/or had upgraded brakes. I switched to Sports Hard Tires (:yuck:) and got 1st place. 553pp.

HisMa - StruggleCountach - Results.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20241021093704.jpg

Suffering over. For now...

ROUND 2 - Meet My Heroes

Ferrari Dino 246 GT
One of the cars that helped me learn GT7 tuning. I started this week's challenge on Sports Softs with some extra power, but I wanted more grip. I adjusted the tune for Racing Hards and attacked every corner.

Point the nose, stomp the throttle, ramp up the g-force. Brilliant!

HisMa - Dino - Action - 1.jpg

HisMa - Dino - Results.jpg

Citroen DS 21
Asserting front wheel drive dominance again.

Racing Medium Tires on this one. I had no downforce, but I didn't care. The DS had so much mechanical grip that it ate the slow corners and was untroubled by the high speed ones.

HisMa - DS21 - Action - 2.jpg

HisMa - DS21 - Results.jpg

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
My Firebird has battled Gr.4 cars, Hypercars, 600pp monsters, and recently, DTM cars. This race was the most under-stressed I've ever seen this car. With some oversteer, the Firebird thundered to victory.

I need to make a historic Trans Am custom race.

HisMa - Greenbird - Results.jpg

HisMa - Greenbird - Action - 1.jpg

Alpine A110
Racing Medium Tires on this one. Getting this car to work has always been a labor of love. Though physics updates made it more twitchy, it still has the agility and monstrous grip under acceleration that I adore.

HisMa - A110 - Action - 1.jpg

HisMa - A110 - Results.jpg

ROUND 3 - THE ODDBALLS

Autobianchi A112 Abarth
Asserting front wheel drive dominance again, again.

Racing Mediums for this build. A corner destroyer that fits in your pocket. Using momentum and gearing to pull past the bigger cars will never get old. But if only the A112 had a little more power...

HisMa - A112 - Action - 1.jpg

HisMa - A112 - Results.jpg

Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster '60
It is a good day to die [in a high speed corner]
1729681269206.png

Surprisingly good cornering, but there was no downforce or suspension geometry to save me at high speeds. The Ghia behaved exactly the same at all cornering speeds: Turning too hard at 100+mph / 160kph led to oversteer and then many, MANY deaths.

Bonus: My driver avatar was dressed for this Jet Age occasion.
1729681581151.png

HisMa - Ghia - Action - 1.jpg

HisMa - Ghia - Results.jpg

Mazda RX500
A speedy wedge powered by angry bees...

Sports Soft tires on this on. Much like the Ghia, the Mazda made no effort to save me from my overly aggressive steering inputs in high speed corners. Though there was less dying here. Otherwise, super sharp cornering.

Adding ballast was a challenge, because there wasn't much weight in the back already - adding ballast to the nose, though PP efficient, made the RX500 feel like a front engine rear wheel drive car (ewww...:lol: ), but with more traction issues. I would have loved to turn the Mazda into an old 911, but the PP price was too high.

Bonus: The RX500 had freakish top-end acceleration despite its small amount of horsepower

HisMa - RX500 - Action - 2.jpg

HisMa - RX500 - Results.jpg

Lamborghini Miura
Sports Softs for this build as well because I struggled to lower the PP rating. The Miura was too light after my tuning. Stable and planted with great top speed, but understeery in high speed corners.

PD, you cowards, let me build this into an SVJ Jota with front downforce!!

HisMa - Miura - Action - 2.jpg

HisMa - Miura - Results.jpg

Renault R5 Turbo
A Mighty, Mini, Mid-engine cornering Master (sorry)

Racing Mediums for this build. Great composure, but slightly lacking in mechanical grip, hence the tire choice.

HisMa - R5 - Action - 4.jpg

HisMa - R5 - Results.jpg

*Corvette C3 generations
I hate this car on a deep spiritual level. Therefore, I reserve the right to refuse to drive it
:lol:

COMING SOON
  • Everything else up to Jaaaag, in alphabetical order (hopefully)
  • the Agony of the Fully Tuned Fiat 500

Attachments

• HisMa - Greenbird - Action - 2.jpg
    HisMa - Greenbird - Action - 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HisMa - RX500 - Action - 1.jpg
    HisMa - RX500 - Action - 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back