What exactly is so shameful about using Racing Soft tires?

• Thread starter JLawrence
  • 323 comments
GTP_FreakinWolfy
Ever since I started reading this forum, I've noticed a distinct bias against the RS tires, and people who run them. I simply don't understand this, because if I have a mind to go for a fast lap, why wouldn't I go for every advantage? It's just logic to me. Or is this sort of like the grenade launcher thing in Black Ops where people get pissed when they see someone using it? Just curious

I dont get it either, I want to be as fast as I can so I use them. Its not like they're illegal or anything either.

For the bragging rights... that's all...

"Pros" don't use racing softs...

I use them and I feel perfectly ok :)

Ahh... Well, I guess I am no pro then! But, I feel like I'm a pretty darn fast amateur!

On a side note, completely irrelevant to this topic, I am exactly 6 points from A-Spec lvl. 30. Ughhh

It´s not a shame to use Racing Softs.
As long as you don´t complain a race (Seasonal , offline Mode or whatever) is too easy.

raVer

Nothing wrong with using racing soft. It's a game, shouldn't let others' opinions affect your enjoyment.
There'll be online rooms that disallow, but I'm sure there are plenty that doesn't care.

Anyway, Happy Playing and cheers!

Just to note, it's also nothing wrong with those who condemn Racing Soft. It's their rights.

I have no problem at all if people want to use Racing Softs. However, I try to avoid using them at all costs for two reasons:

1) They're too expensive.

I have 100 cars in my favorites that I love using. But Racing Softs cost 36,000 Cr. each.

100 X 36,000 = 3,600,000 Cr. :crazy:

No...just no. Not to mention there are other cars that I would enjoy using but they're not in my favorites, so that's more money out of my pocket. Plus, it's annoying leaving a lobby to buy Racing Softs to be competitive.

2) They give unrealistic amounts of grip in some cases.

If you have a Dodge Viper tuned to the max or some other powerful car, then yeah, you most likely need Racing Softs to control it. But putting them on mildly powered cars is too much IMO.

But again, have no problem with people who want to use these tires for whatever reason. To each his own. :)

Well of course! I'm in it to win it!
And I apologize if this gave the wrong impression, I didn't post to bash the guys that don't like them, I was just curious as to why some are so against them.

Well of course! I'm in it to win it!
And I apologize if this gave the wrong impression, I didn't post to bash the guys that don't like them, I was just curious as to why some are so against them.

Cause they like challenge and prefer a more realistic driving experience.

Some people want to keep street legal tires on street cars, and racing tires on racing cars. Others want the challenge of driving of Sports Softs compared to Racing Softs. The Racing Softs give an unrealistic amount of grip and a lot of people don't like to use them for that reason.

It's more of a personal preference than anything, Racing Softs will make you faster, but take away some of the cars personality, and the challenge of Sports Softs is rather fun at times.

Nothing "shameful" at all about using RS tyres! :)

I tend not to use them for seasonals and the majority of my races as it requires better throttle control by not using them and practice makes perfect (not to mention the added challenge)... :sly:
But when I'm tuning a car and subsequently testing it on various tracks to see if my setup works, I always use RS tyres because it allows for a small amount of driver error lending itself to more consistent times and gives a better picture of whether or not your tune has worked... IMO! 👍

As others have said, it is your game, play it how you want to play it! :)
I like not using them to challenge myself and (hopefully) improve my skills but others may just want to go as fast as possible and there is NOTHING wrong with that! 👍 We are racing after all... :sly:

There's nothing wrong with them, but they can feel a bit unrealistic on stock cars. That being said, I actually don't really like fully tuned road cars which are always, always in free run lobbies.

I don't think it is shameful...

If you are racing using expensive racing cars, then you would be using racing slick tires(in real life). Therefore using racing slicks on race cars in the game makes sense. I would prefer racing hard tires in game vs. the soft.. But that is just because of the challenge, and car control required. If everyone in the room is using racing softs, obviously I will too, or I couldn't compete.

If I was able to race a non sponsored car in real life.. ie regular road car. I sure as heck wouldn't want to spend over a $1000 a set for tires. This is closer to the reality that all of us could face. These cars were never designed to run tires like this. I think the GT5 physics are some of the best a console has seen. I enjoy them, and think using racing softs on many of the road cars, defeats these physics. It starts to feel like arcade racing to me.

I think the big problem, is that the rooms in the online lobby don't show enough information. I just dislike joining multiple "road car" rooms to find out that they are using racing soft tires. I don't even purchase these for my road cars. So I either join, and can't compete, or I have to use one of the "suggested" cars. Not fun for me.

I don't want to tell anyone else how to run their game. Everyone enjoys what they enjoy. No one is being shameful by running racing soft tires. I just wish the online rooms had better information, so that I wouldn't have to join one after another, after another, to try and find a room using what I consider "realistic."

They are fine on race cars, but not needed, and should not even be available for road cars. I can't understand how people get anything out of dominating the AI. Using the least amount of tune and barely winning is much more fun.

They're just too easy, and they're unrealistically grippy. This is Gran Turismo, the Real Driving Simulator, not OutRun, not NFS. If you enjoy a challenge, you won't have anything softer than racing hards. Set the tyre regulation, it'll be the same for everybody, so why worry?

And they're expensive. Though I probably could afford it, I'd never want to clad every single car in my garage with softies.

I have no problem at all if people want to use Racing Softs. However, I try to avoid using them at all costs for two reasons:

I have 100 cars in my favorites that I love using. But Racing Softs cost 36,000 Cr. each.

No...just no. Not to mention there are other cars that I would enjoy using but they're not in my favorites, so that's more money out of my pocket. Plus, it's annoying leaving a lobby to buy Racing Softs to be competitive.

If you have a Dodge Viper tuned to the max or some other powerful car, then yeah, you most likely need Racing Softs to control it. But putting them on mildly powered cars is too much IMO.

But again, have no problem with people who want to use these tires for whatever reason. To each his own. :)

Well trading may have its cap but i sent 5 sets of racing soft to my second account when the game came out and every day since i dupe them back to main account [up till the PSN outage] i currently have 70 sets in my parts bin, ive also done this with most other parts and it saved me countless millions.

OP, nothing wrong in using them its your game and you play it as you see fit, dont listem to the wannabe mod [villian] shouting his mouth off LOL.

I wouldn't use the word shameful either but there are several reasons why I personally dislike seeing lobbies where everybody is using them:

1. The performance of RS tires is unrealistic in a game that strives for realism. They have levels of grip and traction equal to or exceeding the super-soft Michelin F1 tires from back during the height of the Bridgestone~Michelin tire war. No tire that is used in any current racing series, including F1 in 2011, has as much grip as RS tires. They're pure fantasy.

2. Despite their near magical levels of grip and performance, they exhibit none of the downsides (the graining, short window of performance, etc that one would expect with such tires). It would be nice if PD had evened out their advantage by making Racing Hard last twice as long, so that longer races with pit stops would involve some kind of tire strategy, but this is not the case.

3. I can kind of accept the idea that these tires might be on the two F1 cars, or the the RB2010 or the FGT. But it's ridiculous seeing lobbies full of road cars using RS tires. They give average road cars, let alone lower tier racing cars, levels of grip that they would NEVER have in real life and just like turning on Skid Recovery, using RS tires turns GT from a decent and realistic semi-sim, reasonably close in physics to some of the best PC games, to an unrealistic arcade machine.

Last edited:
99% of online races allow rc tyres, you would get left for dead using anything else, its daft aids like srf and active steering that in my opinion are for learner drivers and newbies.

As people have said, nothing wrong with using, just to there own taste and driving style, i personally use Racing Medium,for some bizarre reason i am quicker using them than Racing Softs.

Its a game, play it how you want. I get called elitist all the time just because I like comfort tires on street cars.
Some like extreme grip and some like realism...thats life.

Just drive with what you think is fun :)

Well i think it is shameful to be running around in 276hp 4WD car's on racing soft tyres. If you modify your car power wise then tyre upgrades are needed to your preference.
But to take a standard car and put RS tyres on and race defeats the purpose of a physics system, lets just play project gotham racing or something.

Why didn't you duplicate the tyres,I have limitless supply in my second account but since psn is down can't use them.

Back