What exactly is so shameful about using Racing Soft tires?

• Thread starter JLawrence
  • 323 comments
They are fine on race cars, but not needed, and should not even be available for road cars.
It's a paradox, people all around the world are fighting for democracy and you want to impose a restriction onto my game based on a mis-guided opinion which you hold?

I tend to normally use Medium Racing. Not because i consider myself Pro. The reason is that when i tune a car & find that no matter how hard i try i can't get it spot on, i'll add Soft Racing Tyres which gives me that extra bit i'm looking for to get the car how i want it.

I finished 9th in the seasonal TT at Cape Ring North in the Dodge Hemi. i read this thread and i remembered i always wanted to find out just how much faster RS tires would be than the Comfort Softs your usually forced to use in the TTs.

my best CS time 1:40.482
my best RS time 1:28.675

i think if i kept trying i could beat my CS time by a full 12 seconds. thats without retuning but i did have to increase the transmission top speed...going way faster. so weird to drive. such touchy steering and actually harder to control. dont have to let off throttle in some places...dont have to brake in others...going way faster but your braking distances become very short.

12 seconds is a HUGE difference. i definitly didnt expect that much time gain.

so in a nutshell if your not using RS its like giving others who are nitrous in their cars online.

to answer the OPs question nothings shameful about using RS tires. i use them but then dont add any horsepower to my cars and when racing the AI i choose a car one class less than their cars. even on the same tires and excact same horsepower, like in the nascar series, i blow their doors off except at Daytona. they PIT manuver me at the beginning and then usually sometime during the race and put me into a spin or the wall. i did win it once somehow miraculously.

my first tune on GT5 consisted of a Camaro SS '10 and RS tires and thats it. what a dream to drive.:)

It's a paradox, people all around the world are fighting for democracy and you want to impose a restriction onto my game based on a mis-guided opinion which you hold?

You should probably look up the word "paradox" and stop making ludicrous connections between real life wars and a discussion about Gran Turismo.

MoLiEG
For the bragging rights... that's all...

"Pros" don't use racing softs...

I use them and I feel perfectly ok :)
Pros WTF, everyone uses racing soft, professional racers use them. But i do agree with you i don't really get why people don't like them??

Pros WTF, everyone uses racing soft, professional racers use them. But i do agree with you i don't really get why people don't like them??

No , not everone uses Racing Soft.I personally avoid using them.

I only use them for testing purposes and that´s maybe twice per month.

If I want race with lots of grip , I play NFS.

raVer

You should probably look up the word "paradox" and stop making ludicrous connections between real life wars and a discussion about Gran Turismo.

I do what I want mate. I've been to many races where street cars have bolted slicks on, to great effect. You should look up the word ludicrous.

A fast driver will be fast on any tire but it takes less skill to be fast on racing tires. Typically, an average DS3 user can keep pace with a G27 user on racing tires. The same is not so with comfort or sport tires. Greater throttle control and management of your slip angle entering turns is required when there is less grip to be had.

So in short, less grip = more challenge.

A typical ds3 user is about 5-10sec slower than a wheel user.

No , not everone uses Racing Soft.I personally avoid using them.

I only use them for testing purposes and that´s maybe twice per month.

If I want race with lots of grip , I play NFS.

raVer

No , hardly everone uses sports tires.I personally avoid using them.

I only use them for lisence tests and that´s maybe twice per month.

If I want race with a lot of drifting , Ill play ridge racer .

What I always do to determine which tires to use for a given a-spec race is check which tires are used in that same race in b-spec. This approach will give you more a challenge (As long as your car is not over-powered).

No , hardly everone uses sports tires.I personally avoid using them.

I only use them for lisence tests and that´s maybe twice per month.

If I want race with a lot of drifting , Ill play ridge racer .

:dunce: comment this is.Ridge racer is completely different from GT5 with regards to drifting physics. And many people use sport tires fyi.

RS just take all the fun away from driving and make it a rather dull experience, even more so if you happen to use a wheel.

It seems all the tires got stickier from the first demo of GT5 I played at GamesCom last year to the retail version, but the RS more or less are now overkill.

Handy for those races I did just for the level ticket without the need to shed loads of money on buying a car or upgrading it, but I don't come to the interweb and brag about my laptimes while failing to mention I used RS and SRF :D

For those moaning that RS are the way to go online: make some friends, race SH and enjoy how multi-layered the driving experience of GT5 can be.

RS just take all the fun away from driving and make it a rather dull experience, even more so if you happen to use a wheel.

It seems all the tires got stickier from the first demo of GT5 I played at GamesCom last year to the retail version, but the RS more or less are now overkill.

Handy for those races I did just for the level ticket without the need to shed loads of money on buying a car or upgrading it, but I don't come to the interweb and brag about my laptimes while failing to mention I used RS and SRF :D

For those moaning that RS are the way to go online: make some friends, race SH and enjoy how multi-layered the driving experience of GT5 can be.

👍 Especially the last part.

Yea i can't see how a wheel user can have consistent fun on RS ..
How much fun is holding the gas and turning? LOTS, for about 30 seconds.
The experience comes to life when you use relevant and/or appropriate tyres for the situation. For 2 weeks the only online clean races i found were on RS, i then went back to Sports tyres and realised you can't just floor the gas before your pointed straight in a 550hp Ferrari F40. Quite a shock after coming from RS lol.

A typical ds3 user is about 5-10sec slower than a wheel user.
Absolute rubbish.
I don't believe that Racing Soft tires give unrealistic grip. Have you ever driven a real car with warm slicks on a track? It's FRIGHTENING how much of a difference there is.

I used to have a 2000 Honda Prelude. I went to Mosport for a track day and a friend was there with his Prelude, all done up for racing. He lent me a set of his slicks for a couple of laps. It was plain old SCARY how much difference there is once they've warmed up a bit. And yes, it took the whole first lap, on a hot summer day, to warm them up, because I suck.
I agree with this, although I do think the game offers too much grip. I was lucky enough win a competition and be driven around Goodwood in an NMR's V8 Vantage GT4 by Anthony Reid.

I'm still not sure how to explain it now; if you think about how as a passenger you have a feel for how a car will grip and turn as you enter a corner, going into the first corner it was just "outside" of what I expected. Being a GT4 car, it's acceleration and braking is good but nothing suprising, compared with that, although I was experiencing it for the first time, the lateral cornering force was unbelieveable.

It was part of a track day for Aston owners, so the ride was part of the package, the team were using it as shakedown for the Britcar 24hr (no offence to the guys and girl, but having a driver who's much faster than them and with so much experience was useful :)) I've never even been around a track in a road car, so I probably should have asked one of the owners for a ride, I think that would have given me a different perspective on the GT4 car.

Last edited:
People dislike racing softs as they provide absurd and unrealistic levels of grip relative to even the very best racing slicks available IRL...

A good percentage of people here like realism and using sports mediums (depends on the car) are a far more accurate representation of how a car behaves on high performance, street legal autocross tires.

shameful !!!!!
come on people its a GAME
If you want to use softs , traction control , auto stability etc etc etc
then fine , as long as your happy.
some people on this forum act like they are driving a real car lol
get a life and just enjoy the GAME

Ever since I started reading this forum, I've noticed a distinct bias against the RS tires, and people who run them. I simply don't understand this, because if I have a mind to go for a fast lap, why wouldn't I go for every advantage? It's just logic to me. Or is this sort of like the grenade launcher thing in Black Ops where people get pissed when they see someone using it? Just curious

In 1 word: Nothing. Theres nothing to be ashamed of. I always use the best tires to race with, because i (too) want to set a good laptime. And people who say that it's a bad thing to use those RS's, are just whining that you can't race as good as them.
So when i heard that, i raced a few and owned those noobs who are "practising their driving skills by using fcked up tires", and let them see where RS's are made for.

People dislike racing softs as they provide absurd and unrealistic levels of grip relative to even the very best racing slicks available IRL...

A good percentage of people here like realism and using sports mediums (depends on the car) are a far more accurate representation of how a car behaves on high performance, street legal autocross tires.
- it only gives you an absurd amount of grip because you can not make the most of the tires
- you have never used slicks in real life so you would not know
- since when was autocross the benchmark?
- street tires hardly work on 700hp+ appilications

shameful !!!!!
come on people its a GAME
If you want to use softs , traction control , auto stability etc etc etc
then fine , as long as your happy.
some people on this forum act like they are driving a real car lol
get a life and just enjoy the GAME

-when you rely on aids, i makes you better than you really are and that is shameful.

I think no one knows how much grip a real Racing Tire has (maybe 3-5% actually raced a Car in Reallife or tested the Boarder of Grip normal Tires give to you).
I´m sorry for the professional Racers which read this ;)
=> speaking of unrealistic amount off grip = LoL

I use them where I can but I´m fine with any Tire restriction.

EDIT: I haven´t raced any kind of Racing Tire in RL or tested the maximum grip of road tires (luckily I think :D)

Last edited:
-when you rely on aids, it makes you better than you really are and that is shameful.

Aww come on man, i can only think of one thing to be ashamed of and that is being a someone who says that it is "shameful" for other people who use Racing Soft tires in a GAME.

I personally have never had the excuse to run the ten inch slicks or whatever, so I couldn't tell you off hand how they perform compared to in-game, but, I have found that for me the racing hards feel the most like the Hoosier TDs I run on my car.

This thread has almost inspired me to throw some gaudy flares on the thing and do it just for posterity =p

Racing Softs. I used to enjoy then but never respected them during serious races like leagues.

Having ran Sport Soft shifter league and Racing Hard GT500 league. I was in the same mind set as many. Harder tire = skill.

So my desire for more organized racing left me looking for a couple more leagues. Seems the rest of the Super GT leagues were racing soft leagues.

So I was like meh this will be cake walk easy. I am fast on harder tires. I will work these boys on softs.

Fast fwd to first race. I do ok. But not nearly as fast as the top guys. So off for testing. Week on the softies and I learned to drive this tire fast. Very fast tire but it has limits and requires the same skill level as other tires to be fast. It actually may require more. With the soft racing you are going faster which requires faster more precise movements.

Anyway my point is all tires require skill to be fast.

For all those elitist that think they can PWN all on soft racing tires. I challenge you to a race. Stock gt500 on any world track other then the long ones, 10 laps.

Racing Softs. I used to enjoy then but never respected them during serious races like leagues.

Having ran Sport Soft shifter league and Racing Hard GT500 league. I was in the same mind set as many. Harder tire = skill.

So my desire for more organized racing left me looking for a couple more leagues. Seems the rest of the Super GT leagues were racing soft leagues.

So I was like meh this will be cake walk easy. I am fast on harder tires. I will work these boys on softs.

Fast fwd to first race. I do ok. But not nearly as fast as the top guys. So off for testing. Week on the softies and I learned to drive this tire fast. Very fast tire but it has limits and requires the same skill level as other tires to be fast. It actually may require more. With the soft racing you are going faster which requires faster more precise movements.

Anyway my point is all tires require skill to be fast.

For all those elitist that think they can PWN all on soft racing tires. I challenge you to a race. Stock gt500 on any world track other then the long ones, 10 laps.

I don't say i think i'll "PWN" everyone on RS's but i'd like to accept your challenge, just to see how good you are. :P

- it only gives you an absurd amount of grip because you can not make the most of the tires
- you have never used slicks in real life so you would not know
- since when was autocross the benchmark?
- street tires hardly work on 700hp+ appilications

-when you rely on aids, i makes you better than you really are and that is shameful.

It gives an absurd amount of grip because you can floor it so much without too much worry.Not so IRL.
-I see alot of assumptions going on.
-It was an example he used lol.
-On slower speed corners to an extent.

I agree for SRF though other aids actually slow you down.But not shameful if the person using them is learning.

GT_Die_Hard
I don't say i think i'll "PWN" everyone on RS's but i'd like to accept your challenge, just to see how good you are. :P

Sounds Fun!!!! Maybe we can do a three tire race just for kicks. We all could come out of it with great races.

One thing I wished was closer. Is the tire wear. The get the softies to wear quicker like real world then this will open leagues up. Remove tire rule and allow racers to decide how their tire strategy will work.

How hard would it be to see the time gained from softies and implement a wear factor the puts them similar to Hards over a race with pitting for wear.

Back